Data Validation Lists - Generating a list based on another list's result

I have been searching the web all day, and I am not sure how to
approach this problem.  Here is a basic worksheet:

ID    Name    Serial #
1     Joe     ck9033n2389d
2     Joe     349-283fjrjh55
3     Bob     c90320j34n5kjdf
4     Joe     kgho95injhs
5     Bob     2353gdf745

Step 1:  I have a drop down list with only one instance of each of the
"Name" variable.
Step 2:  Upon selecting that name, I would like another drop down box
with all the serial numbers associated with that person.
Step 3:  Then, based on the serial number, display stats in the same
row for that item.

Step 2 is what I am having problems with.  Any direction would be
extremely helpful.  VB?  Access?  A formula I can't think of?

I would be greatful for any help you could provide.
0
Daniel

Hi Daniel

Have a look at http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal02.html

Dan
0
dan
3/12/2010 10:39:18 PM
In addition to Dan's D suggestion, you will probably need to use VLOOKUP to
match up the stats for a particular serial number.  Where you would have a
list of the serial numbers in a table say, column J and the stats in column
K, L. M

=VLOOKUP(F1,K1:M100,2,0)

Would return the stat for the serial number in F1 from 2nd column of the
table, K.  Change the 2 in the formula to 3 and it will return the 3rd
column value in L. 4 returns M.

HTH
Regards,
Howard

"Daniel Gravenor" <dgravenor@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have been searching the web all day, and I am not sure how to
> approach this problem.  Here is a basic worksheet:
>
> ID    Name    Serial #
> 1     Joe     ck9033n2389d
> 2     Joe     349-283fjrjh55
> 3     Bob     c90320j34n5kjdf
> 4     Joe     kgho95injhs
> 5     Bob     2353gdf745
>
> Step 1:  I have a drop down list with only one instance of each of the
> "Name" variable.
> Step 2:  Upon selecting that name, I would like another drop down box
> with all the serial numbers associated with that person.
> Step 3:  Then, based on the serial number, display stats in the same
> row for that item.
>
> Step 2 is what I am having problems with.  Any direction would be
> extremely helpful.  VB?  Access?  A formula I can't think of?
>
> I would be greatful for any help you could provide.

Wrong unread count in inbox (1 is list but no there is no messages)
I'm trying to figure out why a user has this problem. The unread inbox count shows 1, even if there are no unread messages in the Inbox. Any ideas? Thanks in advance! Check your view (View, Current View, Customize Current View) and make sure there are no filters set. -- Patricia Cardoza Outlook MVP www.cardozasolutions.com Author, Special Edition Using Microsoft Outlook 2003 Author, Absolute Beginner's Guide to OneNote 2003 ***Please post all replies to the newsgroups*** "mr_gustav" <randy.riauka@saultc.on.ca> wrote in message news:17b1b01c418c3$e7e4aff0$a10128...

Twist Data?...
Hi all... I've got the following in a dataset: 19 30 1200 FI FI 20030906 36 19 30 1324 FI FI 20030906 36 and I want the following result: 19 30 1200, 1324 FI FI 20030906 26 Any guess on how to do this? thanks much!... Hmmm... Not quite clear: The data is arranged in columns, I assume It looks as if both items in the same column are the same, you want just one item, otherwise the one in the top row first, then the one from the bottom row. But what about the last 36s that should yield 26? Typo? Does the dataset have more columns or more rows or both? And how big is it?...

Yet another duplicate record dilemma
I have a table with records where one field are duplicates. I'm able to query to find duplicates and delete them, however what I need to do is find the duplicates, produce a total from another field, delete the duplicates and update the record field with the new total. Use the Find duplicates wizard, the build an Update query and either add to the field: Update MyTable Inner Join Querty1.ID On MyTable.ID Set MyField = MyField + Query1.MyField or just update it: Update MyTable Inner Join Querty1.ID On MyTable.ID Set MyField = Query1.MyField Then delete the duplicate data. -- Ar...

merging 2 cells without losing data?

Transformation of data into columns

Importing spam list
Hi, I have a long list of spam email addresses that I want to import into outlook. How do I do this? Do they have to be separated by commas? Thaks, Paul Where is this spam list generated? What version of Outlook? Where do you propose to import them? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Paul Ellis asked: | Hi, | I have a long list of spam email addresses...

Data Validation List not showing

Pin Generator
Anyone know how to make a simple PIN generator in excel? -- Jeff =RAND()*(9999-1) Try typing this into a cell and change its number properties to having no decimal places. "GoBucks" wrote: > Anyone know how to make a simple PIN generator in excel? > -- > Jeff Jeff, How about entering this formula in a cell, thenRecalcing to generate a new number each time? =INT(RAND()*10000) Regards Pete "GoBucks" wrote: > Anyone know how to make a simple PIN generator in excel? > -- > Jeff ...

Sorting Attendee Lists in Outlook 2003
Is there any way to sort attendees by either name or attendee status in Outlook 2003? I don't know how Microsoft could be so oblivious to the need for this feature. You can't even click on the column headers to sort, let alone print out a list of people sorted by accept and decline. Microsoft's online help system recommends Alt + PrntScreen???? How archaic is that? Is there anyone out there that can help me??? Thanks! ...

selected row count of list box
A2k Is there a way to get the selected row count of a list box dynamically as the user selects rows? Delphi has an event called "OnSelectionChanged" but Access is much more limited. I don't want the user to have to exit the list box or click a button or anything manual in order to see the # of rows he's selected. How can this be done? I know about "lstCusts.ItemsSelected.Count" but not sure what event to use it in to accomplish what I need. Thanks, Keith Never mind. I did this and it handles both mouse and keyboard selections: Private Sub lstCusts_AfterUpdat...

Messenger emoticons
I have changed laptops and I did grab the old laptops custom emoticons folder (all in dt2 and id2 file endings.) But when i copy everything in the folder and add it to my new laptops custom emoticons folder... they get added (i.e. show up in the folder) but the images/gifs or names dont show up on the actual msn... *what gives*? Do I have to change the dt2 endings to gif or jpeg and go to "create" in msn for each of them to add them in? (I tried with one and it worked) Only problem is i have alot, like 203 dt2 files so changing the ending to .gif and adding each singu...

manufacturing scrap not calculating on pick list and serial #'s no
I have entered my percentage of scrap on a MFG BOM and is seems to be calculating properly in the setup. When I release the components and add them to a pick list the scrap is not calculating. I also choose serial numbers and they do not carry thorugh and print on the pick list. Is there some setting that I have missed? -- Paula ...

Adding extra data options
Is there a way to customize CRM to allow for adding another heading? I would like to add a second field similar to topic and would like to call it type. Can you add extra data fileds and types in CRM 3.0? You can add extra data fields to an entity. Go to entities customization at setting area. -- Marco Amoedo Plain Concepts http://geeks.ms/blogs/marco/ "xxdcmast" escribió: > Is there a way to customize CRM to allow for adding another heading? I would > like to add a second field similar to topic and would like to call it type. > > Can you add extra data ...

Problems with MFC list controls
I have a large list control with many inventory control items displayed within. When someone single clicks on an item, it displays information about that item in another part of the dialog. I have a three-fold problem, the master list has multiple columns in it, in order to make the selection work properly, only column 0 can be selected, is there a way to make a valid row selection if you select an item using any of the other columns? Second issue is the highlight of the selection. Only column 0 in the list control will highlight, is there a way to make the entire row highlight when an...

IF statement based on True/False that activates a certain list box
I've been asked to create a formula that will react to either "yes" or "no" entered into a cell which will show options in another cell based on a certain list. Example: Cells D3:D5 contain the values Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday (list named BegWeek) Cells E3:E5 contain the values Thursday, Friday, Saturday (list named EndWeek) Cell A3 accepts either "yes" or "no" entry only from a list If A3 = "Yes" then B3 will = drop down list BegWeek If A3 = "No" then B3 will = drop down list End Week I don't even know if thi...

Is there a way to graph data which utilizes the "fixed" function for decimal places? When I try this it will not graph, as the data has become text or something - even though I've selected number in the cell formats. If you've fixed the number of digits using only number formats, the values remain numeric, and they should chart just fine. This means selecting the range, going to the Formatting menu and selecting Cells, and on the Number tab, selecting Number in the category list, and setting a number of digits. I'm not familiar with a "fixed function". I...