Create a textbox that displays a list of possible items as we type

Hi All,

Is it possible to display a list once user starts typing a word in vba?

For eg, I have a userform connected to access database(I can already pull
info from access, based on what user inputs in ID field), So Once a user
starts typing
in a text box, lets say User Name textbox, a list of users is displayed
(something like google search, we start writing in the search bar and it
suggests us what we might want based on what text we input)

SO if I type in "A" in User Name text box, I get all the names starting with
"A" such as:

Name: [ A....  ]
             Aaron
             Aber
             Acron

If I type in a number, "2" I get the list of phone numbers starting with 2
and so on.

Can this be done in VBA?

Hope I made it clear.

Thanks in Advance

Put code in that textbox Change event that pulls data from Access according
to the text in that textbox. Then show that data in another textbox or a
label
or whatever suitable.

So, you SQL will be something like this:

Dim strSQL As String

strSQL = "select field1 from table1 where field1 like " & chr(39) &
textbox1.text & "%" & chr(39)

I don't use Access often (prefer SQLite), so your SQL may be slightly
different.

RBS

"sam" <sam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> Is it possible to display a list once user starts typing a word in vba?
>
> For eg, I have a userform connected to access database(I can already pull
> info from access, based on what user inputs in ID field), So Once a user
> starts typing
> in a text box, lets say User Name textbox, a list of users is displayed
> (something like google search, we start writing in the search bar and it
> suggests us what we might want based on what text we input)
>
> SO if I type in "A" in User Name text box, I get all the names starting
> with
> "A" such as:
>
> Name: [ A....  ]
>             Aaron
>             Aber
>             Acron
>
> If I type in a number, "2" I get the list of phone numbers starting with 2
> and so on.
>
> Can this be done in VBA?
>
> Hope I made it clear.
>
> Thanks in Advance

0
RB
12/4/2009 5:01:29 PM
Instead of a textbox, why don't you use a listbox or combobox? Execute a
query against the database to get the entire set of valid entries for the
control. Cycle through the query's output & add the records to the combobox
(.AddItem). Set the MatchEntry property of the combobox to
FmMatchEntryComplete to get the kind of progressive autocomplete behavior you
described.

Hope this helps,

Hutch