Count of text in cells

I have problem to solve,I have a column with office. The text in the Office cells with be, Office 1@810@NT but I now have a new columm with text in the following format:Test The Cell - Employment cells can contain mutiple values, Test The Cell - Education;Test The Cell - Employment;Test The Cell - Health
 . These values are separated by a ;
NOt only do I need to count each occurance, but I then need to have a count of each one. I can have these values referred to in a cell if that makes it easier. Sorry if I have not been clear

The SQLite Database Engine and ADO.NET Provider
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/bcf1fd1e-dd46-4d0e-8148-dc79824ea55f/the-sqlite-database-engin.aspx
0
Trip

This should work where abc is you search string and A1:A100 is your
column

=SUMPRODUCT(--(ISERROR(FIND("abc",A1:A100))=FALSE))

Find will return an error if the string is not found. You want to count
the number of occurances that are NOT Errors

--
joel
joel's Profile: 229

joel

Showing Formula in Cells and not Results
I have a text field, and programmed several formulas (left, mid, right) to pull data from this text field. While in the formula editor, the formulas worked correctly, however the sheet only displays the formula and not the results. The sheet is not in "formula" mode (tools/options/view/formula box is not checked), nor have I accidentally hit control ~. -- -Al Is the cell that contains the formula formatted as text? If so, format it as General and re-enter the formula. "CtDMonet" <CtDMonet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D73129F9-7716-42...

Saving as .html with comments in cell looks BAD....
The paste in below is from side-by-side fields (you can find an example at http://www.kloek.com/sun/Sun_Systems_Matrix.htm), where if I have a comment in the cell, the actual cell in the html version has the number overwriting the actual text in the cell. I've dug in the help and read through the topics currently in this group, and still haven't a clue. All I want is the text in the cells NOT to be overwritten by the comment indicator. does anyone have any ideas? The red triangle in the upper right hand corner in the actual spreadsheet is perfect, if I could somehow retain it in the we...

conditional formating
Hi.. Ive got a set of sales figures next that relate to specific stores we are selling our products in. Ive managed to conditionally format cells where no stock has been sold, but I want to highlight the name of the store that has not sold any stock. How do I do this? Please help me Im going out of my mind!! Thanks Hi you may provide some more details about your data layout. e.g., some example data -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "ANDREW_B" <ANDREWB@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:47638ECE-9DD9-4568-83F8-39BEC64E25AC@microsoft.com... ...

DateDiff and Count/Sum
I am trying to count records where the scheduled date is greater than the current date. All Dates (past visits and scheduled visits) are listed in the Date of Awareness field. The expressions I have tried include: =IIF(DateDiff("d", [Date of Awareness], Date()>1,1,0)) =Abs(Sum([Date of Awareness]> Date())) Please let me know if I am even on the right track. -Caro Where are you doing this? In a query? Could you use a query, include the [Date of Awareness] field, and in the criteria, use something like (untested): >Date() Good luck! Regards Jeff...

restrict value entered into cell
Hi, Is there a way to restrict user to enter negative values into a cell? TIA eric :( Hi Eric One way: Select the range (e.g E34:E56) Data > Datavalidation > Custom enter this formula =E34>0 -- Best Regards Leo Heuser MVP Excel Followup to newsgroup only please. "ericlye" <ericlye.st9ay@excelforum.com> skrev i en meddelelse news:ericlye.st9ay@excelforum.com... > Hi, > > Is there a way to restrict user to enter negative values into a cell? > > TIA > eric > > :( ...

extract data from a realtime updated cell
hey how's everything? i've got a spreadsheet that is linked to reuters Xtra3000 and gets updated every 10s. my goal is to copy the value from a specific cell and paste it on some other cell. then after 10s repeat it, copying the same cell, but pasting it on a different one so i can come up with a series of values. afterwards i'd like to plot a chart based on the copied range of cells that gets updated as we go. can someone point out what should i be doing? thanks in adv, Miguel Have you looked at either the Worksheet_Change event or the Worksheet_Calculate event? -- HTH R...

Cell Movin
I have a spreadsheet and I'm trying to do something which I can't figure out. The spreadsheet has various bits of data, but only some of it needs to be changed. Is there something that I can set up that if pressing something like Tab it jumps to the next cell that is supposed to have inputted data in. Am I making any sense. I know what I want to do but its hard to write about it! ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ protect all of the cells except...

Formatting a single cell
I am trying to enter data, such as name, street address, city, for example in a single cell, each item to appear on a single line, hopefully indexed to, again for example, the left. After formatting the cell to wrap text, you can do this by typing each line item with a number of spaces between each item. The number of spaces is just a matter of trial and error. Again, this works, but becomes cumbersome when you have a larger number of cells. Obviously, the easy (maybe best) way to do this is just to enter each item in a separate cell, and adjust the related/adjacent cells accordingl...

Updating cell references
HI all, I a have a range of cells that have reference to other cells Eg. a1 b1 c1 a2 b2 c2 Is there a quick way to change the refernces to the following a8 b8 c8 a9 b9 c9 ie, increasing the row value in the reference by 7. Cheers Sha -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com In A1:C2 enter: =INDIRECT("F"&$D1) =INDIRECT("G"&$D1) =INDIRECT("H"&$D1) =INDIRECT("F"&$D1+1) =INDIRECT("g"&$D1+1) =INDIRECT("H"&$D1+1) In D1 enter either value of 1 or 9 Fill F1:H2 and F9:H10 with desi...

Adding text values in Excel
I'm trying to create formulas for an order form. In column B I have the size of the product (small, medium, large) and in column C I have "Left" or "Right". I'd like to write a formula telling me the totals for each: "Small, left" "small, right" "medium left" "medium right" "large left" large right" etc. I've tried just about every function that's been suggested for similar problems and no luck. I've even tried the pivot tables. Thanks for any input! You could set up a summary table li...

Text is cut off even though wrap text is enabled.
Wrap text is enabled; autofit is enabled; I have expanded the cell height; additional text is still cut off, both on screen & in printing. From the Excel help Length of cell contents (text) 32,767 characters. Only 1,024 display in a cell; all 32,767 display in the formula bar. -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "mpost" <mpost@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3DB18BC9-B946-4EB7-8DC0-DD38D3EE1105@microsoft.com... > Wrap text is enabled; autofit is enabled; I have expanded the cell height; > additional text is still cut off, both on...

outputing text to a parallel or serial printer in Windows 2000
I was wondering if someone knows how to get around Windows 2000 ability to shut off the printer port access to output text to a printer directly. I have both serial and parallel interfaces on this printer and I need to output text directly as it contains special codes for the printer. I have been struggling and have been very unsuccessful so far. I was wondering if someone could help me figure this out and if possible provide me some sample code. This may not be the proper newsgroup for this question, but I am writing my application in MFC and I would like to use MFC commands if possible. ...

Filling in a column with text
I tried doing some searches on my problem, but it is so hard to summarize in a few keywords. The subject, above, is not very accurately descriptive, either. Here is my issue: I am an engineer in a production environment. We track the Downtime for the various pieces of equipment that we run. We have a spreadsheet where the production operators input the equipment data. Each day has a time column depicting the 24 hours in a day in 15 minute increments (15min/cell). To the right of the Time coIumn, I have a column that a production operator is supposed to update every 15 minutes with the current ...

importing multiple text files into Excel with corresponding filenames
Dear members, I need to import 100+ text files into Excel. In addition I want EACH Excel column to show corresponding filename too (where the data comes from). How do I accomplish this? TIA Correction: In addition I want EACH Excel ROW to show corresponding filename (where the data comes from). instead of > .... EACH Excel column .... Files are comma delimited Check out your other post. There is no need to multi-post . -- Jacob "avi" wrote: > Correction: > > In addition I want EACH Excel ROW to show corresponding filename >...

Calculate a field in Access, using a formula from a text string
Does anyone know of a way to calculate a field in an Access query using different formulas entered in a database table, as a text string? I have gotten around this before by splitting up these equations into their different variables and storing the values into a table. However, that only works if the equation format stays the same. I no longer have formulas that closely resemble each other in format and differ only in values. Any ideas? Could you provide an example or two for clarification? Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft Office/Access MVP "ALF" <ALF@discussions.microso...

Changing the forecolor of Text fields based on value in another fo
Hello, I have a list of project numbers in my "Main" continuous form that when you double click on one of the fields, it will open up a detail form for THAT particular project. When that detail form comes up, there are questions that need to be checked when completed. When this is done, a calculated field on that detail form called "Audit Met?" will automatically check itself if all the questions have been checked. What i want to have happen is that for all the projects that have that Audit Met field checked in their detail form, i want that to be shown on the &qu...

Populating text box based on selection in two combo boxes
I have a form that contains two combo boxes that are related to each other. I need to find a way to populate my text box based on the criteria of the two combo boxes so the appropriate number appears in the text box. I created a DLookup Function that works when I run it using Query designer but when I add it to the Control Source of my text box it returns nothing. I'm not sure if this is because the second combo box values are based on the selection made from the first comb box. On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 17:12:55 GMT, "SHAWTY721" <u38136@uwe> wrote: >I have a form that cont...

Enter a formula to return a result from a cell
Hi Guys, I am using Excel 2000. Fairly new to excel formulas. I have done some basics and mostly learned on my own and have had help from this group from time to time. I have a table with predicted peak flow numbers for boys and girls. There are many rows and many columns but I'll just list 3 from each as an example. Rows are ages Columns are heights in inches. Row 8 is age 6 Row 9 is age 7 Row 10 is age 8 Column C is 44 Column D is 45 Column E is 46 We determine the predicted peak flow based on the age and height of the child. All of the predicted peak flows are entered. Co...

emotions <->text in richedit
I am writing a richedit based chatbox, and I planned to add emotion support. I want replace the text in given templates(such as [:)]) to emotion pictures(read from files in given directory) during typing, and replace it back when I need actual text. I think I can insert files as objects to richedit, and replace objects with text when needed. But I don't know How to do it. Any suggestion? You can use IRichEditOle interface for doing this. Use GetRichEditOle( ) to get an interface pointer, and call InsertObject( ) method. Cheers Jagadeesh "jiangsheng(MSMVP)" <sheng_jiang@...

Text box alignment changes when page published to web
In Publisher 2007, having created several text boxes with 'centered' alignment (both vertically and horizontally), when selecting 'Web Preview' the text always moves to the top of the boxes. Any suggestions why this happens, e.g. is the problem related to 'style' settings, the 'snap' options (under Arrange) which are all turned off, or could it be something else? Thanks ...

Excel merged cells Not printing
When working with certain spreasheets, I am able to view all of the dat online and on the hard copy printout. Unfortunately, when some of m co-workers print out the same spreadsheet, they are missing data fro the merged cells (sometimes - nothing prints in several cells). An ideas why -- Tuttama ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Tuttamay's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1540 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27016 Just a guess--can your coworkers try printing to another pr...

How can I reference a cell in Excel to a part of a diagram in Visi
Hi folks, I am trying to reference a cell or a group of cells that are in MS Excel worksheet to a specific part of a diagram which is created in MS Visio, is this possible? If so, can anyone direct me to the reight path. Thanks in advance. I'd start over here http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/visio/HA100518191033.aspx al "Speedy317" <Speedy317@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A4B59645-DC15-4356-84AD-F61890B8C197@microsoft.com... > Hi folks, > > I am trying to reference a cell or a group of cells that are in MS Excel > worksheet to a specif...

count if #5
I have a time series of wave data comprising wave height, period, direction etc. I need to count the occurences of waves of a certain height and period. For example I would like to count the occurence of waves with a height of 0.5-1.0m and a period of 3-4 secs. I have tried using the countif function and the count function with a nested if function but with no luck. Here is an example of the series of data I have height period (m) (s) 0.3 5.4 0.4 5.6 0.4 6 0.3 - 0.3 4.4 0.3 4 0.3 4 0.3 4.1 0.3 3.7 0.3 4.1 0.3 3.5 0.3 3.6 0.3 3.6 0.3 4.2 0.3 4.1 0.3 3.8 0.3 3.8 0.3 3.5 0.3 3.7 0.3 4 0.3 3.8...

Numeric to text conversion
I recently upgraded from Office 2000 to Office 2002. In 2000, when copying from Access tables and pasting into Excel, the data type integrity was maintained, that is, text, date, and numeric fields came over into Excel in that defined format. With 2002, all my numneric fields are converted to text and I'm flagged that numbers are stored as text from the error checking function. Converting is a major headache and exporting the Access tables into Excel, though this does maintain data integrity, is not what I need to do in most cases. Question is, is there a way to modify defaults i...

Locking Cells?
I can not for the life of me remember how to lock specific cells from users overwriting data. Can you help? Thanks in Advance... Krefty Krefty, Select the whole sheet (CTRL+A). Then Format -- Cells -- Protection. Uncheck Locked, click OK. Select the cells or ranges you want to lock (use CTRL to multi-select if necessary) and re-lock. Then protect the sheet via Tools -- Protection. Tip -- throw in Hidden to prevent formulas from showing in the formula bar. Warning -- sheet and book protection is easily broken with a little know-how. Rgds, Andy right click in cells you want to not b...