Change fill color of cell

Hello,
Excel 2k on Vista 64 bit.
I have a range of cells (b2:bn2) in a row that are answers to a quiz. In the
same cells below are the answers with a different quiz participant in each
row. I would like to change the background of the cells that do not match
the answers in b2:bn2. I have used conditional formatting and accomplished
this task, however, I would also like to total the wrong answers in column
"bo" for every row. I have found a bit of programming on line but it doesn't
work with conditional formatting. It does work when I format the cells by
hand. Any suggestions?
Thanks for your input.
Bill

0
BillP

The contents of cells b2:bn2 are text, letters A thru E, corresponding to
the correct letter in multiple choice answers.
Sorry for not including in original post.
Bill
"BillP" <wlp46@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> Excel 2k on Vista 64 bit.
> I have a range of cells (b2:bn2) in a row that are answers to a quiz. In
> the same cells below are the answers with a different quiz participant in
> each row. I would like to change the background of the cells that do not
> match the answers in b2:bn2. I have used conditional formatting and
> accomplished this task, however, I would also like to total the wrong
> answers in column "bo" for every row. I have found a bit of programming on
> line but it doesn't work with conditional formatting. It does work when I
> format the cells by hand. Any suggestions?
> Thanks for your input.
> Bill

0
BillP
5/2/2010 3:31:55 PM
Put this formula in BO3 and copy it down as needed...

=SUMPRODUCT((B3:BN3<>"")*($B$2:$BN$2=B3:BN3))

Note: This formula will work independently from your Conditional Formatting
(that is, it will work whether you are using Conditional Formatting or not).

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

> The contents of cells b2:bn2 are text, letters A thru E, corresponding to
> the correct letter in multiple choice answers.
> Sorry for not including in original post.
> Bill
> "BillP" <wlp46@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>> Excel 2k on Vista 64 bit.
>> I have a range of cells (b2:bn2) in a row that are answers to a quiz. In
>> the same cells below are the answers with a different quiz participant in
>> each row. I would like to change the background of the cells that do not
>> match the answers in b2:bn2. I have used conditional formatting and
>> accomplished this task, however, I would also like to total the wrong
>> answers in column "bo" for every row. I have found a bit of programming
>> on line but it doesn't work with conditional formatting. It does work
>> when I format the cells by hand. Any suggestions?
>> Thanks for your input.
>> Bill

0
Rick
5/2/2010 5:24:36 PM
Thank you Rick,
Worked perfect!
Bill
"Rick Rothstein" <rick.newsNO.SPAM@NO.SPAMverizon.net> wrote in message
> Put this formula in BO3 and copy it down as needed...
>
> =SUMPRODUCT((B3:BN3<>"")*($B$2:$BN$2=B3:BN3))
>
> Note: This formula will work independently from your Conditional
> Formatting (that is, it will work whether you are using Conditional
> Formatting or not).
>
> --
> Rick (MVP - Excel)
>

> "BillP" <wlp46@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> The contents of cells b2:bn2 are text, letters A thru E, corresponding to
>> the correct letter in multiple choice answers.
>> Sorry for not including in original post.
>> Bill
>> "BillP" <wlp46@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello,
>>> Excel 2k on Vista 64 bit.
>>> I have a range of cells (b2:bn2) in a row that are answers to a quiz. In
>>> the same cells below are the answers with a different quiz participant
>>> in each row. I would like to change the background of the cells that do
>>> not match the answers in b2:bn2. I have used conditional formatting and
>>> accomplished this task, however, I would also like to total the wrong
>>> answers in column "bo" for every row. I have found a bit of programming
>>> on line but it doesn't work with conditional formatting. It does work
>>> when I format the cells by hand. Any suggestions?
>>> Thanks for your input.
>>> Bill

0
BillP

Changing SQL Server for CRM 1.2

Territory Change

chart MAcro to change on activecell

Joining text with a formula in cell #4

Changing font in Money 2004 register?

how to match the color of a button with its background?
Hi, I have a owner draw push button. I associate it with two bitmaps, one is down and the other is up. Is there a way to make the bitmaps's background color match the color of the window where the button is located. I manually choose the best matched color but still the result is not good. I can even see a white border line (not drawn by me) when the button is pushed. Please help. Thanks. Tony Check out http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/vcresed/html/_asug_choosing_an_opaque_or_transparent_background.asp May Young <tony@srac.com> wrote in message news:<408473...

Single click selects multiple cells

Referencing cells across sheets

How to unlock locked cells by MACRO?!

Changing language

RE: Fill Factor on a clustered index
Tricky one. Have a database getting alot of locks...Darn sql server and those silly page locks. Anyway had to change the application to use a disconnected methodology and check for changes before doing an update. Love the asp.net alternative. It just clobbers data (unless you write code to check)...record locks have their uses but...right now need to reduce any locking possible and one article on the web mentioned even tables where you just add data too could do with a fill factor. One table just keeps a track of changes by the record id. There is a clustered index on the record ...