Adding to a list of codes

Hi

In Excel 2003 I have a spreadsheet listing a large number of cost centres.  
Each month I am given a list of the cost centres and expenditure against 
them, which I want to use a look up to populate in to a master spreadsheet.  
However, during the month new cost centres could have been created.

What I would like to be able to do is run a macro against the monthly return 
and compare the codes contained in it to the codes already listed in the 
master sheet.  If there are any new codes not already in the master sheet I 
would want them added to the existing list so that the master remains 
complete.  Any suggestions on how to achieve this would be welcomed. 
0
Utf
6/2/2010 12:42:01 PM
excel.programming 6508 articles. 2 followers. Follow

3 Replies
806 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 57

Maybe you could just copy the whole thing. Wouldn't that be the same as 
comparing?
      If desired, send your file to my address below. I will only look if:
      1. You send a copy of this message on an inserted sheet
      2. You give me the newsgroup and the subject line
      3. You send a clear explanation of what you want
      4. You send before/after examples and expected results.

-- 
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
SalesAid Software
dguillett@gmail.com
"fabio" <fabio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:65176D57-BA94-461D-8914-B9D93297C099@microsoft.com...
> Hi
>
> In Excel 2003 I have a spreadsheet listing a large number of cost centres.
> Each month I am given a list of the cost centres and expenditure against
> them, which I want to use a look up to populate in to a master 
> spreadsheet.
> However, during the month new cost centres could have been created.
>
> What I would like to be able to do is run a macro against the monthly 
> return
> and compare the codes contained in it to the codes already listed in the
> master sheet.  If there are any new codes not already in the master sheet 
> I
> would want them added to the existing list so that the master remains
> complete.  Any suggestions on how to achieve this would be welcomed. 

0
Don
6/2/2010 1:36:53 PM
Hi

Sorry if I was unclear.  The master sheet contains a number of calculations 
of year to date based on the monthly figures on the monthly sheets.  
Therefore in January for cost centre AAAA I will do a lookup of the 
expenditure for January and so place it in the correct cell.  February's 
submission will go in the next column and the master sheet will recalculate.  
All is OK until the submission in March contains an entry for anew cost 
centre ie ZZZZ not on the master sheet and therefore this expenditure will 
not be included in the calculations on the master sheet.  Therefore I need to 
identify new codes and add them to the master sheet.  These contain thousands 
of lines and therefore I need to automate this process.  I hope that 
clarifies my objectives.

Thanks 

"Don Guillett" wrote:

> Maybe you could just copy the whole thing. Wouldn't that be the same as 
> comparing?
>       If desired, send your file to my address below. I will only look if:
>       1. You send a copy of this message on an inserted sheet
>       2. You give me the newsgroup and the subject line
>       3. You send a clear explanation of what you want
>       4. You send before/after examples and expected results.
> 
> -- 
> Don Guillett
> Microsoft MVP Excel
> SalesAid Software
> dguillett@gmail.com
> "fabio" <fabio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:65176D57-BA94-461D-8914-B9D93297C099@microsoft.com...
> > Hi
> >
> > In Excel 2003 I have a spreadsheet listing a large number of cost centres.
> > Each month I am given a list of the cost centres and expenditure against
> > them, which I want to use a look up to populate in to a master 
> > spreadsheet.
> > However, during the month new cost centres could have been created.
> >
> > What I would like to be able to do is run a macro against the monthly 
> > return
> > and compare the codes contained in it to the codes already listed in the
> > master sheet.  If there are any new codes not already in the master sheet 
> > I
> > would want them added to the existing list so that the master remains
> > complete.  Any suggestions on how to achieve this would be welcomed. 
> 
> .
> 
0
Utf
6/2/2010 2:41:01 PM
Still not too clear and I won't try to recreate your file so I repeat my 
offer to send
-- 
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
SalesAid Software
dguillett@gmail.com
"fabio" <fabio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:CEF7D345-D229-4682-A084-E4A411B4F7FA@microsoft.com...
> Hi
>
> Sorry if I was unclear.  The master sheet contains a number of 
> calculations
> of year to date based on the monthly figures on the monthly sheets.
> Therefore in January for cost centre AAAA I will do a lookup of the
> expenditure for January and so place it in the correct cell.  February's
> submission will go in the next column and the master sheet will 
> recalculate.
> All is OK until the submission in March contains an entry for anew cost
> centre ie ZZZZ not on the master sheet and therefore this expenditure will
> not be included in the calculations on the master sheet.  Therefore I need 
> to
> identify new codes and add them to the master sheet.  These contain 
> thousands
> of lines and therefore I need to automate this process.  I hope that
> clarifies my objectives.
>
> Thanks
>
> "Don Guillett" wrote:
>
>> Maybe you could just copy the whole thing. Wouldn't that be the same as
>> comparing?
>>       If desired, send your file to my address below. I will only look 
>> if:
>>       1. You send a copy of this message on an inserted sheet
>>       2. You give me the newsgroup and the subject line
>>       3. You send a clear explanation of what you want
>>       4. You send before/after examples and expected results.
>>
>> -- 
>> Don Guillett
>> Microsoft MVP Excel
>> SalesAid Software
>> dguillett@gmail.com
>> "fabio" <fabio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:65176D57-BA94-461D-8914-B9D93297C099@microsoft.com...
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > In Excel 2003 I have a spreadsheet listing a large number of cost 
>> > centres.
>> > Each month I am given a list of the cost centres and expenditure 
>> > against
>> > them, which I want to use a look up to populate in to a master
>> > spreadsheet.
>> > However, during the month new cost centres could have been created.
>> >
>> > What I would like to be able to do is run a macro against the monthly
>> > return
>> > and compare the codes contained in it to the codes already listed in 
>> > the
>> > master sheet.  If there are any new codes not already in the master 
>> > sheet
>> > I
>> > would want them added to the existing list so that the master remains
>> > complete.  Any suggestions on how to achieve this would be welcomed.
>>
>> .
>> 

0
Don
6/2/2010 3:28:28 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Setting the default Price List
Hi, Currently we are only have 1 price list defined in the system. Is it possible that on Opportunity form, the value of price list is automatically updated to the one that we defined?? How to accomplish this requirement?? Carrie only thing that you can do to avoid re-entering the pricelist is is enter the default price list for each account etc. That means you enter it once for each account then never have to enter it again when you create a new opportunity against the account "Carrie" <Carrie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6C73FC86-BCE9-4F84-92C1-...

Local Tax Codes
Has anyone ever dealt with Colorado's local tax codes that are setup on a monthly basis (versus annual basis in Great Plains) for US Payroll? ...

Adding path to footer in Excel 97
Can someone tell me please how to add the path of a document to a custom footer in Excel. It seems such a basic task but somehow doesn't appear to be obvious. Thanks Yvonne New Zealand Hi see: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Yvonne wrote: > Can someone tell me please how to add the path of a > document to a custom footer in Excel. It seems such a > basic task but somehow doesn't appear to be obvious. > > Thanks > Yvonne > New Zealand File|Page Setup, Click the Header/Footer Tab, Click the Custom F...

Using AD Distribution Groups for E-mail
Hello, Based on what I've read, it seems like I should be able to use Windows 2003 Server's POP3 service to get emails to a Distribution Group in AD. I have setup the Security Group in AD with an address like distrolist@myserver.local with an associated mailbox in POP3. I sent an email to the list but it's still stuck in the POP3. What am I missing? The correct news group. <g> Try posting to a group for your version of Windows Server. It is not a client side operation. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. ...

listing last & first names
i imported an access database, everything seemed to go well. but it wont list the last & first names at all. not even under "full name". im using the "detailed view" under "full name, its blank. do i delete it? i couldnt find a way to do that. thanks, francine ...

Adding Phoney Contacts?
Does anyone know what adverse email handling effects happen when a CRM contact has the same email address as a CRM user? Outbound - email to the contact seems to work Inbound - AFAIK, CRM will be unable to resolve inbound email addresses to CRM records due to ambiguity Anyone aware of other effects, or things to be aware of, in this scenario? Thanks That should be the only issue you run into. Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM ---------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 09:10:52 -0000, "Peter Lynch" <peter.lynch@opt...

Adding Hyperlinks #2
I'm working with Publisher 2000 and would like to add some hyperlinks. Help instructs to click hyperlink on the Insert menu. My Insert Menu does not have that option. Any ideas on how to proceed? Hyperlinks only work in 2000 if you convert your publication to a web page. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Karen" <Karen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DB1CB1FA-BDB7-4F05-A5D7-8BFFC87282BA@microsoft.com... > I'm working with Publisher 2000 and would like to add some hyperlinks....

List of Codes and Display Names for Codes #2
thanks that seems to be working thank you .... :) -- hoganc ------------------------------------------------------------------------ hoganc's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=14980 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=266031 ...

accde form load
I have a A2K3 .mde front-end (converted from a previous A2K), which has been in use for years. Now that the organization has upgraded to Office 2K7, I converted the .mdb to accde and it runs fine. I make an .accde from it, and ran into problems! The original version used an autoxec macro to run some code at start-up, which is OK with the .accdb, but creates a 2950 error in the .accde. I've searched and found proposed solutions, which did not work (trust did not resolve it, 3rd party .exe utilities which supposedly fix it in the registry are not accepted by the company policy, and I ...

problems adding days to a date
Hi, I have a field that sums a date plus 14 days and I am getting some very strange results. Any clue? -- Carys What have you got and what strange results are you getting If there is a 'true' date in A1 (01/01/2006) then =A1+14 will give you 15/01/2006 (UK dd/mm/yyyy) -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England www.nickhodge.co.uk nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "Carys" <Carys@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9695E500-67BA-407C-AF2F-3AEA692F37A2@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > I have a field that sums a date plus...

Allow other values other than ones in Value List
Is there a way i can be permitted to add values to a drop down value list of a cell? If the value is not in the list at present i get a "The value you entered is not valid" error. I do not want to add that particular value to the list each time as it may never be used again, and the list would grow beyond the never never.... Any idea's? Corey, if this is from data validation uncheck show error alert on the error alert tab in data validation -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from...

after Not in List Event
Hello: I have a "Not in List Event" in a form, Form A, that adds data to my "look-up" table. After this data is added, I want to open another form, Form B, but only if a "Not in List Event" occurs. In other words, "How do I open a form in, perhaps, an 'After update event' with the condition that a "Not in list event" has previously occured? I ask because I want to use the new value in "Form A" as a reference to "Form B". I appreciate any help! -Gabriel M. After you add the new value to the lookup table in For...

Unhide/hide based on drop down list
I have a cell with a drop down list (using data validation, list) and it has 3 values in it: High, Medium and Low. If the user chooses "Low", the following 3 rows remain hidden. If the user chooses "Medium" or High", the following 3 rows need to unhide so they can explain their reasoning. I am new to macros, but found this macro that worked if I had only 2 choices on the list: Sub HideRows() Dim Rng As Range Set Rng = Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A3") If Rng.Value = "High" Then Rows("4:6"...

Adding up values in a textbox on a form
I have a data entry form with 3 textboxes for user input. I want to add up the values from the 3 textboxes, and display the total in a new textbox. As the user makes changes, I want the Total textbox to update automatically. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Rhema, What's in the textbox is stored as a string by default. You have to convert them to values before you do any arithmetic with them. like: TextBox3.Va...

Why Does Mortgage And Loans Go To Ads?
Why when I press the Mortgage And Loans tab, it doesn't go to my mortgages and loans, but displays a page that asks me to "Find a mortgage loan that's right for you"? This is just crazy... I mean, these programs used to be useful, but they are just becoming ads for financial services. Is there any way to change this so that by clicking on Mortgage and Loans tab I actually get a listing of my Mortgage and Loans? If not, is there a financial program out there that manages your finances, minus the constant pitches for 'financial services'? Some people find Q...

Sharing calendar and task list
Hi, Usin Outlook with exchange backend, How can I share calendar or tasklist with everyone else, so they can have it in their folder list and see/modify it? Thanks, Alan A.M wrote: > Hi, > > Usin Outlook with exchange backend, > How can I share calendar or tasklist with everyone else, so they can > have it in their folder list and see/modify it? > > > Thanks, > Alan See my reply in microsoft.public.exchange.admin. Please don't multipost - if you need to post to multiple groups, it's best to crosspost instead, by posting a single message to a handful of...

Multiple Tables in Query not Listing Data.
I cannot seem to get this correct. I am trying to run a query on two databases one of which is linked to the other. I am trying to get the query to display a 0 for the total defects counted from one table based on the date and time from another table. So far when I run the query I get only the counts from the values that are not null. Here is the SQL Statement: SELECT Pro_Total_by_Cell.Cell, Pro_Total_by_Cell.Shift, Pro_Total_by_Cell.Time, Pro_Total_by_Cell.ProTotal, Pro_Total_by_Cell.Time1, Hourly_Defects_by_Cell3.CountofFC, Control_Limit_by_Cell.UCL, IIf(IsNull([Counto...

outlook 2003 user cannot see members of distribution list
I have an outlook 2003 user who, when clicking on a distribution list or an individual name in a received email; the dialog box appears displaying the properties of the person or group, but there is nothing showing up in the "member of" tab. this is the only user I have affected. any help would be appreciated. Normally when clicking on a user of group listed in the "To" of an email the properties can be viewed showing the groups the individual is a member of, etc. Have you tried creating a new mail profile for this user? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post ...

Original Journal Entries window should only list GL entries.
IF GL journal entries that originate in other modules can not be corrected in the Correct Journal Entry window, then they should not appear in the Original Journal Entries lookup list. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businessso...

Drop downs list on every line for a specific column?
I am entering data and would like to have a dropdown one a specifi column on every line. I have column's "ID" , "Manufacturer", "Model" I want to inport or have a list of all the Manufacturers and everytim I go on a new line I want to have the drop down so I can speed up m entering and avoid spelling error ect. Can anyone help? Kind Regards, Can-A-Fun +---------------------------------------------------------------- | Attachment filename: sheet.jpg |Download attachment: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?...

Front End Code is Gone
Hi Groupies: I have created an Access 2007 split database for my client. They called me today to say that everything is frozen and nothing happens when they push buttons etc. I had them send me the FE and it appears that all of the code has been completely wiped out! Events still have the text [Event Procedure] but when I go to look at the VB there is nothing there!! They have experienced 2 issues that they mentioned to me. 1. One report needs to print on a dot matrix printer. If the report is more than one page, the printer throws out junk. I think it's a driver issue but they s...

Login to AD from one VLAN to another
I have an XP pc in a separate VLAN (VLAN5) from the Domain Controller server(VLAN1) and I cannot get the PC to browse the domain using and also the group policy doesn't run. Has anyone done something like this and how did you get it to work? What do you mean browsing the domain? If you are talking about the network you will needs a WINS server. As far as group policy make sure the user and computer onject are within the Ou that the policy is being applied against and the computer or user has read and apply rights. http://www.comptechdoc.org/os/windows/win2k/win2kgpolici...

New Exchange Server in Existing AD Environment
We have an existing AD Domain Environment and we are currently starting to instaled Exchange 2003. The question I have is currently the user's have email addresses that are there firstname.lastname@domain.com. However, there AD logins are firstinitiallastname. As expected when creating the Exchange accounts it want's to make the email address firstinitiallastname@domain.com. If there a way to change this behavior so that when i tell it to create the user's email account that is does firstname.lastname@domain.com? Thanks. On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 14:37:02 -0700, emperorbob <emp...

Sorting multiple columns as 1 list alphabetically?
Can anyone help with a solution for something i'm trying to achieve in excel? I have a long list of names that spread many cells down as well as several columns across and i'm trying to sort the entire list into alphabetical order. I know I can sort one column at a time but that is not what i want to achieve. I need to be able to select all of the data and sort it into alphabetical order (with the a's starting in the first cell of the first column and the z's finishing in the last cell of the last column). What I really need to do is be able to link columns so that the data i...

adding new appointment from command line
Hi, how can I add a new appointment (calendar) from the command line? I tried outlook.exe /c ipm.appointment but this opens an interactive dialog. I just want to run a command which inserts a new item to my calendar. Is it possible? Regards, Erhard Nothing built-in to where u you use outlook.exe /create something and store. However you could use Outlook's Object Model to create the item programmatically from a WSH/VBS or home grown application that could take arguments at the command line. "Erhard Mueller" <mueer01@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1130236554.719336...