Writing formula for excel worksheet

Item	Rate1	Rate2	Rate3
A	3	4	6
B	8	5	23
C	56	5	78

Above is my excel sheet.
I want to write some formula so that in every row cell having minimum rate
should come bold. Like For Item A - Rate1(3)
for Item B - Rate2(5)
For Item C - Rate2 (5)
0
Gaurav (24)

There may be a neater way but this works. Somewhere in you sheet in a cell
type =min(A1:a4), I used L1 Change this to watever range you are trying to
evaluate.

Then select this range and click format  - conditional format - cell value -
is equal to
=($L$1) and apply your bold font.

The lowest value in the range will then become bold.

Mike
"Gaurav" wrote:

> Item	Rate1	Rate2	Rate3
> A	3	4	6
> B	8	5	23
> C	56	5	78
>
> Above is my excel sheet.
> I want to write some formula so that in every row cell having minimum rate
> should come bold. Like For Item A - Rate1(3)
> for Item B - Rate2(5)
> For Item C - Rate2 (5)
0
Mike1154 (1216)
2/22/2007 10:24:00 AM
hey
Select each row and apply Conditional Formatting
cell value    - equal to - =min(1:1) for the first row and then bold
then the 2nd row
cell value    - equal to - =min(2:2) for the first row and then bold

Etc
etc
hope this helped

"Gaurav" wrote:

> Item	Rate1	Rate2	Rate3
> A	3	4	6
> B	8	5	23
> C	56	5	78
>
> Above is my excel sheet.
> I want to write some formula so that in every row cell having minimum rate
> should come bold. Like For Item A - Rate1(3)
> for Item B - Rate2(5)
> For Item C - Rate2 (5)
0
CmK1 (7)
2/22/2007 10:35:00 AM
Select all the rows from row2 down (this ensures A2 is active)

Click Format > Conditional Formatting
Under Condition 1, set it as:
Formula is: =AND(ISNUMBER(A2),A2=MIN(2:2))
Click Format button > Font tab > Bold/red? > OK
Click OK at the main dialog

--
Max
Singapore
"Gaurav" wrote:
> Item	Rate1	Rate2	Rate3
> A	3	4	6
> B	8	5	23
> C	56	5	78
>
> Above is my excel sheet.
> I want to write some formula so that in every row cell having minimum rate
> should come bold. Like For Item A - Rate1(3)
> for Item B - Rate2(5)
> For Item C - Rate2 (5)
0
demechanik (4694)
2/22/2007 2:48:23 PM
This will work for 2 columns only if i am having n no of columns than how to
do that?

"Max" wrote:

> Select all the rows from row2 down (this ensures A2 is active)
>
> Click Format > Conditional Formatting
> Under Condition 1, set it as:
> Formula is: =AND(ISNUMBER(A2),A2=MIN(2:2))
> Click Format button > Font tab > Bold/red? > OK
> Click OK at the main dialog
>
> --
> Max
> Singapore
> http://savefile.com/projects/236895
> xdemechanik
> ---
> "Gaurav" wrote:
> > Item	Rate1	Rate2	Rate3
> > A	3	4	6
> > B	8	5	23
> > C	56	5	78
> >
> > Above is my excel sheet.
> > I want to write some formula so that in every row cell having minimum rate
> > should come bold. Like For Item A - Rate1(3)
> > for Item B - Rate2(5)
> > For Item C - Rate2 (5)
0
Gaurav (24)
2/23/2007 6:14:00 AM
"Gaurav" wrote:
> This will work for 2 columns only
> if i am having n no of columns than how to do that?

The initial step given earlier:
> > Select all the rows from row2 down (this ensures A2 is active)
means to select entire rows (select the row headers)

If you did the above step correctly, you'd find that the CF will work across
entire rows, ie across all cols. Give it another try.
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---
0
demechanik (4694)

Vertical Indent in Excel 2002
Please help me to create Vertical Indent in Excel 2000 or 2002 because the border line are very near to the text given in a table, it looks very congested in the gap between lines and text when we use auto fit to rows option. there is any solution for this please help me i want to know the option. No such feature as Vertical Indent. You can use Alt + Enter to provide a line feed at top and bottom of cell. Select a cell then hit Alt + Enter Type the text you need then hit Alt + Enter then Enter. This will give you a blank line at top and bottom. Gord Dibben MS Exc...

excel columns keep changing size
I have a spreadsheet that I want to print on legal sized paper. I have 5 columns that I want to be as wide as possible and fit on the paper, landscape format. Every time I try to change the font size of the text, excel automatically changes the columns size. ALso, even though it says that the font is 48 points, it shows up as very tiny on the screen and also on paper. What is going on? Check your pages set up settings. Go to sheet in page set up and check to see if the print area is empty this could have a range in it. If it does and this is too large for th paper you are using then it wi...

need help entering trendline formula
I need help to enter the following formula into a cell: y=21.155e ^-0.006x This is the formula of a trendline from a graph of only 5 points, and I would like to enter this formula into a column of cells for the purpose of predicting future values of y. The value of x has a range of 0 to 165, and is located in a colum starting at A4 R squared = .9928 in this case I usually can figure out this sort of thing in Excel, even if it takes a while, but this one has me stumped. In this case Excel does not want to accept this formula Thanks Jim > y=21.155e ^-0.006x Hi. Excel can not do i...

Excel Formatted Spreadsheet To SQL ?
Hello, Is there any reasonably straightforward way to convert an Excel spreadsheet, or part of one, to a format that SQL would accept ? Thanks, Bob Usually the method that works is to save the worksheet in CSV format. Then import the CSV format into your database. Access will import CSV and so wil a number of other databases. -- joel ------------------------------------------------------------------------ joel's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?u=229 View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/showthread.php?t=196450 http://www.the...

Adding Across Worksheets #2
Hello all. I saw a thread talking about this, but I can't figure out how to make it work for me. My worksheets contain the contribution for each person for one day out of the week. One issue I have is that all my worksheets have the date for the worksheet name (it is easier to see what a person contributed on a certain day if the date is immediately visible on the tabs). I want to sum all the contributions for each person over the course of about 6 months. There are about 70+ people, and I want to show what each person contributed totally. Is there a way to do this using the SUM for...

missing excel VBA help file
I'm missing the excel 97 VBA help file "VEenUl3.hlp". I assume this file is on the software distribution pack that came with my computer. If it is do I reinstall excel or can I just copy the help file from the distribution pack? Finally I may not have the distribution pack since I've moved three times in the five years since the computer was purchased. How would I get a copy if I need it? I'm using windows 98. Thanks for your help John VBA and help files are not part of normal Office install. ie. Office 9 or Excel 97 *not* Windows disk required. Perhaps you ...

How do I read Pocket Excel files from Excel
Just got an Ipaq and trying to use ActiveSync to synchronise speadsheet files between that and my desktop. Unfortunately, when I update the file using Pocket Excel on the Ipaq, it is converted to .pxl format, which the desktop version of Excel (2000) won't read! How do I get round this one? ...

printing blank worksheet
I can't print a blank worksheet that I need for field work. The message comes back that "Microsoft Excel Sees Nothing to Print". I tried to highlight the area but that does not work. Isn't a blank worksheet a blank sheet of paper? Try putting just borders or even a space in a cell will make Excel "see" data. HTH Sandy -- to e-mail direct replace @mailintor.com with @tiscali.co.uk "bjq" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:cfd001c3ee70$bd700990$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I can't print a blank worksheet that I need ...

How To Create Order Form in Excel
Hey, I am trying to create a fundraiser order form in Excel and I don't know how to slant the cells. I angled the words at a 45degree angle and I want the whole cell to transform that way. Any advice? You can't slant the cell itself. If my comments have helped please hit Yes. "MAllen" wrote: > Hey, I am trying to create a fundraiser order form in Excel and I don't know > how to slant the cells. I angled the words at a 45degree angle and I want the > whole cell to transform that way. Any advice? ...

Can you create a table of contents from the worksheet tabs in a w.
I use Excel files that have up multiple worksheets. Is there an easy way to create a summary worksheet at the beginning of the workbook that is a linked table of contents based on the worksheet tab names? Much like how PowerPoint allows you to see an Outline view of the slides. In a perfect scenario, if I renamed a worksheet tab, that information would be reflected in the table of contents. Hi see: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/buildtoc.htm "sumatradc" wrote: > I use Excel files that have up multiple worksheets. Is there an easy way to > create a summary wor...

How to create a line chart with two X-axes in Excel
PLEASE HELP ME!!!!! How can I create a line chart with two X-axes in Excel? select one of your data series and change axis to secondary. <chart><<chart options><Axis> Select secondary x axis. "JaVaughn" wrote: > PLEASE HELP ME!!!!! How can I create a line chart with two X-axes in Excel? Hello, thank you for replying. Which chart type would allow for 2 X-axes. The only chart type that I know that allows for 2 axes is "Line Chart with 2 Y-axes". For the above-mentioned chart, the option to designate a primary and secondary x-axis is display...

prevent Excel from EVER automatically converting numbers to dates
in Excel v. X for Mac how do I permanently prevent Excel from EVER automatically converting numbers to dates. Formatting individual cells as text will not work in my applications. I need to disable this funtion. Not possible - there's no preference option to turn this off. Instead of preformatting as text, entries can be made with an apostrophe as a prefix: '3/4 You might be able to use an event macro to change it back retroactively, but that depends on knowing what format the user entered it. For instance, 3/4, 3-4, 4Mar, mar4, etc will all be interpreted as 4 Marc...

How do I set a cell value based on a formula in another cell?
How do I set a cell value based on a formula in another cell? =IF(D4="P.B.A.",G8,0) ,This works to set the value in the cell the formula is in, say cell A1. I would like to have this formula reside in cell A1 but set the value in cell A2 to (G8,0). Also it would be helpful if I could lock cell A2 based on a False condition from this formula in cell A1. Thanks Gary I note that this entry is also asked and answered in Programming. dingy101 Wrote: > How do I set a cell value based on a formula in another cell? > > > =IF(D4="P.B.A.",G8,0) ,This w...

excell documents
when i double click on excell documents on my desktop nothing happens. instead, i must open excell first click on file then open its then that my documents opens. any idea on what might be causing this. makolomakwem@ananzi.co.za -- hunter Can you single click the excel document to highlight it from the desktop. If so, can you then select "Enter" to open the document. Does the double-click issue happen with any other items on the desktop? "hunter" wrote: > when i double click on excell documents on my desktop nothing happens. > instead, i must open excell first...

Can I make a Cladogram using microsoft Excel?
I'm using microsoft offfice 2003 and was curious is there anyway I can make a caldogram using the program? I know that it is possible to make a family tree; however this is inifficient in depicting ancestoral progression of the species- which would be better display with a cladogram. Any Help greatly appreciated! Hi, Maybe fernando cinquegrani's cluster or grafi examples may help. http://www.prodomosua.it/ppage02.html It should be possible to construct a chart using a xy-scatter and various charting tricks. But a lot depends on how you have this data stored. Cheers Andy La...

How do I activate sort in Excel?
I have worksheets set up in Excel. I am wanting to sort 1 column of these worksheets, but my sort button seems to be grayed out & I cannot select it. How do I activate the sort function again. Any ideas? Hi marygries Unprotect your sheet -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "marygries" <marygries@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A81E1842-3CF4-4CF5-85B3-ED01BEF943C7@microsoft.com... >I have worksheets set up in Excel. I am wanting to sort 1 column of these > worksheets, but my sort button seems to be grayed out & I cannot s...

Excel and Word Attachments Time Out in OWA
I am having an odd problem in OWA. Many end users are experiencing time out problems when trying to access Word or Excel attachments in OWA on Exchange 2003. It appears to be only Word or Excel as others work fine. OWA is being accessed on a front-end server. However, all attachments work fine when accessed through the back-end server. Any ideas? ...

Corrupt Excel Menu Bar
Somehow my excel menu bar became corrupted. I now have 7 "Edit" menus, 2 Format menus, and 2 Tools menus in my standard excel view. As a keyboard user (rather than a mouse user), this is killing my productivity. Any ideas? Help! Try this. Right-click your menu bar, select Customize, click the Toolbars tab, click the Reset button, click OK, click Close. That should reset your menu to normal. >-----Original Message----- >Somehow my excel menu bar became corrupted. I now have >7 "Edit" menus, 2 Format menus, and 2 Tools menus in my >standard excel ...

Stop excel icon showing at the bottom when opening spreadsheets
how can i stop the excel icons showing at the bottom when i open multiple spreadsheets. this can be annoying when you have other applications open also. Hi Rajesh, I assume you mean the Excel icons in the Windows taskbar. To prevent these from appearing go to Tools -> Options and on the View tab deselect the Windows in Taskbar checkbox. Michael "Rajesh" wrote: > how can i stop the excel icons showing at the bottom when i open multiple > spreadsheets. this can be annoying when you have other applications open also. > > ...

data-set too big for Excel
I am using Excel to extract data from a database, but when the extracted data is too extensive, Excel is stuck. Is there any way to expand the data-holding capacity of Excel? I am using Excel 2000. Any help would be appreciated. ...

Representing times in excel without dates
Excel experts I need your help!! I am using Office XP excel and am trying to represent time in the format: AM/PM without seconds. When I put in the time [I have the cell number format set to time/"1:30PM"/Locale is English (United States)], it comes up with the date preceding the time. I have tried varying settings of time but they all come up with the date. So if I try to put in 1:00PM it would represent this as a date and leave the rest of the time as 12am. I am doing a time sheet that subtracts the hours from between two times and then adds the differences up. I want it to ...

Need macro to allow me to go out into another excel file and copy and bring data back..
Hi, I'm looking to have a macro that I've started (below) to allow me to go out to a file that is always in the same location with the same name and copy information from it and bring it back into the file I was originally in. The file from which I want to get the information from is updated automatically every 24 hours from data dumped into it from our MRP system. The macro is to be stored in my "personal.xls" file. The problem is that the original file name is always different. So how can I make the macro come back to this file that has a different name each time to pas...

Need Formula
Hi. Using Excel 2007. I want to be able to force certain information into a cell. Example: Column B must contain either the text: SAI or Passport. If Column B says SAI, then column C must only (force it) allow for a 13-digit ID number (numeric). If for instance you enter only 12 digits instead of 13 digits into column C - it must not allow this and give you an error. However, IF Column B says "Passport", then Column C must default to an alphanumeric with no length limitation (some passport no's are 9 digits, others are 6 digits etc). I'm not sure if Excel ca...

Help? My formula is displaying in my cell
Hi there - For some reason I have one cell (in a workbook where everything else i working) that when I type in the formula in the formula bar . . . th stupid formula is showing up in the cell. My formula is simply this: =Info!B13 Because I am taking text from a sheet labeled Info in cell B13. I'v done this for about a million cells in this workbook so far an everything else has worked. This one stupid cell is just showing m the formula. Can anyone give me some suggestions to fix that? Much appreciated! Thanks! Jennife -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Jennifer,...

trying to make a formula for percent if greater than a value
I am trying to create a formula that will calculate percent survival. Basically I have data in cells and I want to make a fomula that tests if there is a value greater than 0. I want my answer to be not the values in the box, but the number of cells with data greater than zero divided by the total number of cells. Then, I'd like to write another formula to average the values in those cells, but only if those cells have a value greater than zero. Can anyone help? I think I got this straight. In one instance, you want to count the number of cells in a range that are greater than z...