Weird files

Just noticed I've got a ton of weird files with names like 2BE48300.
The normal files seem to be ok. Any idea what might be producing all
these extra files?

--

For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life,
please press three.

....Alice Kahn
0
teu (4)

Not sure. Perhaps cleaning up your hard drive will help.
http://www.officearticles.com/misc/how_to_clean_up_your_hard_drive.htm

Are they Excel files?

****************************
Hope it helps!
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com
****************************
"Steve" <teu@qprc.inv> wrote in message
> Just noticed I've got a ton of weird files with names like 2BE48300.
> The normal files seem to be ok. Any idea what might be producing all
> these extra files?
>

> --
>
> For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of
> life,
> please press three.
>
> ...Alice Kahn

0
ng1 (1444)
3/19/2007 5:12:25 AM
When excel saves the file, it saves it as a temporary file with a funny name (8
characters--no extension) in the same folder.

If the save is successful, xl will delete the original (or rename it to its
backup name (like "backup of book1.xlk)) and if that's successful, xl will
rename the funny named file to the original's name.

If you're seeing that funny named file, then something is going wrong.

Common things that get blamed for interruptions to this process are antivirus
software poking its head in or network errors--either permissions or physical
problems.

--

Dave Peterson
0

If it does, check Avast for updates??????

--

Dave Peterson
0
Dave Peterson <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote:
>When excel saves the file, it saves it as a temporary file with a funny name (8
>characters--no extension) in the same folder.
>If the save is successful, xl will delete the original (or rename it to its
>backup name (like "backup of book1.xlk)) and if that's successful, xl will
>rename the funny named file to the original's name.
>If you're seeing that funny named file, then something is going wrong.
>Common things that get blamed for interruptions to this process are antivirus
>software poking its head in or network errors--either permissions or physical
>problems.

Thanks Dave.  Been using Avast antivirus for years with no problems,
and I'm not on a network, not sure what else it could be....

--

For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life,
please press three.

....Alice Kahn
0
teu (4)
3/19/2007 3:05:38 PM
Nice, Dave. :)
Another lesson for me.
****************************
Hope it helps!
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com
****************************
> Try disabling Avast (temporarily) and see if the problem goes away.
>
> If it does, check Avast for updates??????
>
> Steve wrote:
>>
>> Dave Peterson <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote:
>> >When excel saves the file, it saves it as a temporary file with a funny
>> >name (8
>> >characters--no extension) in the same folder.
>> >If the save is successful, xl will delete the original (or rename it to
>> >its
>> >backup name (like "backup of book1.xlk)) and if that's successful, xl
>> >will
>> >rename the funny named file to the original's name.
>> >If you're seeing that funny named file, then something is going wrong.
>> >Common things that get blamed for interruptions to this process are
>> >antivirus
>> >software poking its head in or network errors--either permissions or
>> >physical
>> >problems.
>>
>> Thanks Dave.  Been using Avast antivirus for years with no problems,
>> and I'm not on a network, not sure what else it could be....
>>
>> --
>>
>> For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality
>> of life,
>> please press three.
>>
>> ...Alice Kahn
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
ng1 (1444)

Search for Filename and Text Within that File
I've been able to locate files with a macro using this: trap: 'error trapping here Dim iCtr As Integer With Application.FileSearch .NewSearch .SearchSubFolders = True .LookIn = "g:\client\" & Range("h6") .Filename = "*ControlSheet.xls" End With With Application.FileSearch If .Execute() > 0 Then MsgBox ("Control Sheet with those parameters does not exist! There are " & .FoundFiles.Count & _ " other Control Sheets for this Client ID.") For i = 1 To .FoundFiles.Co...

Passing a C++ 6.0 MFC File stream into a Visual Basic 6.0 dll func
Hello All, I am stuck trying to find a way to open a file in a C++ MFC application (using a stream), write data into it, then call a Visual Basic dll function and pass to it the file stream (or a file stream pointer or a file handle somehow) so that the VB dll functions can write their own data into the same open file. The problem is that Visual Basic 6.0 has no such thing as a file stream. There might be a way to do this using COM, but I do not know much about COM. Are there any guru's reading this that know a way I can pass a stream for an open file back and forth between MFC C...

Save file macro
I have made a macro that saves a file with the word 'new' appended to the end of the filename. However examining the macro shows that it is therefore unique to that filename. How would I change it so that when I attach the new macro to a button (which I can handle) it will attach 'new' to the existing file regardless of the filename? Or is there a better way of achieving my objective? Thanks Brian Tozer Brian Tozer wrote: Problem solved. Return to your Xmas pudding. Brian Tozer ...

Large file being sent many times
Maybe the third time will be a charm........ Outlook 2003 (11.6359.6408) SP 1. XP Home Sending large files >1MB results in the file being send many times (28 in one case). One solution suggested was to turn off the AV when sending. This was done and seemed to help but the problem has returned. When I use MSN instead of OL the problem does not happen. What can I do to send large files using OL? Greg keep the email scanning portion of AV disabled and increase the timeout in Outlook. tools, accounts, view or change, change the account and select more settings. -- Diane Poremsky ...

Please help to recover missing file
I am faced with a strange problem. I was working with worksheet in Excel when there was a power shutdown. The worksheet was in saved condition. When power resumed my worksheet simply vanished. Now whenever I try to access the worksheet I get the message that worksheet could not be found. As my pc is window xp pro. the worksheet should have saved itself as it does in word program. I have cheeked Recycle Bin and ran search program without any success. Is there any way to retrieve the file. TIA. Where was the file when you accessed it before the power failure? On your hard drive? On a flop...

Merging a CSV and XLS file automatically
Hi, I have a csv fles on the network derive that is being updated every night. I need to automatically put the CSV data into the first worksheet of another XLS file and make it available for users. I can have a scheduled task runs and merge the CSV into the XLS file. What would be the easiest/automated way to do that? Thank you, Max Sounds like you need an auto_open macro in your workbook which you are opening as a scheduled task. -- mrice Research Scientist with many years of spreadsheet development experience --------------------------------------------------------...

HOWTO hibernate winXP via a btach file
Hi, I came to find, in windows XP SP3, that the command, _-%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe_PowrProf.dll,_SetSuspendState_m2-_ or _-rundll32.exe_powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState_0,1,0-_ executed at a command prompt, triggers the hibernation process as hibermation proceeds; I can see the winXP progress bar. But unfortunately it does not stop their, my machine resumes from hibernation, within seconds, unless I switch-off the power as soon as hibernation completes. The same is the case, when I use the power switch. Thru the Power Config UI, I have chosen the hibernation option, ...

Transfering files from a dead system
OK my laptop mb died, the disk is ok. I have a new desktop that I wish to run Money on. I can read the disk from my laptop. The $64 question is, how do I import the files from the dead machines disk? If I just need to copy files and then run import, what files do I copy off of the old drive? See http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=109. The site is down at the moment--I'll go work with the hosting company to figure that out. In short, get the .MNY data file(s). No import. Just File|Open once you've reinstalled Money from a CD or similar. "OldBored" <OldBored@discussi...

outlook PST file #2
Need help I installed Win XP PRO then Office 2003 and tried to import my PST's. It did that just fine but for some reason it gave me two Personal folder both with all the same files and folders. I need to know how to get rid of one of the personal folder. This happened to me also, but I have 3 personal folders. Can you post the solution if you find it elsewhere? Thanks... Can you right-click on one of them and select Close? willy wrote: > Need help I installed Win XP PRO then Office 2003 and > tried to import my PST's. It did that just fine but for > some reason it ga...

Poor quality of photos inserted as files
Version: v.X Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I have had an ongoing problem with random poor quality of photos inserted into Word documents as files. The photos appear normal in the document on the display, but half of the time when they are printed, they look like they have a resolution of 50 dpi. This problem has occurred using several different printers, both laser and ink jet. The problem does not appear consistently. I have tried to massage the photos with Photoshop Elements but that has no effect. I end up having to print the photo pages in the documen...

a certain excel file hangs up when i open it
this certain file about 7mb always hangs up upon opening, it even takes almost an hour before it opens completely. when I click on any cells, it hangs up again. I tried to open the file on onther pc but the same behavior show up. I think there's something wrong with the file. It has a macro in but i disable the macro first before opening the file. Pls help, i'm about to explode. ...

Export Publisher logo & text to .jpg file for thumbnail image
Need to download my Publisher logo & text to .jpg file with a physical size of 320 x 120 pixels, which I can then download into a thumbnail image on a busines website. OR is there another way to download my logo & text from Publisher into a .jpg of 320x120 pixels so I can download it into the website? You could open your saved .jpg in a digital image editing program and resize it. The freeware IrfanView may be useful to you... Download IrfanView 3.97 http://www.tucows.com/preview/194967.html (get the plug-ins too) Open the image in Irfanview and go to... Image / Resize-Resample...

Importing Btrieve files to Excel
Can someone tell me an easy way to import btrieve files into Excel? Advise, Thanks Take a look at BtSearch at www.nssdd.com. It will export the btrieve data to dbase or ascii which can then be imported into Excel. Gil "Wally" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<16d601c3b845$17182b60$3101280a@phx.gbl>... > Can someone tell me an easy way to import btrieve files > into Excel? > > Advise, > Thanks Thanks Gill. >-----Original Message----- >Take a look at BtSearch at www.nssdd.com. It will export the btrieve >data t...

Access File MDB to EXE
Hello, i have a mdb file and i like run this file like a executable file (EXE). This is possible? Thanks HF (Newsgroups trimmed. Please restrict to a max of 3 relevant newsgroups.) No. An Access database ALWAYS needs MSAccess.exe to run it. This can be either the full-version of Access or the run-time version which can be distributed royalty-free with your Access database if you have the license for the Microsoft Office Developer edition (varying names depending on Access versions). -- HTH Van T. Dinh MVP (Access) "H´┐Żlder Fernandes" <hf@netvisao.pt> wrote in message...

works 4.5 files to 2002 Excel
How do you convert Works 4.5 files so they can be used in excel? I have Excel 2002 In Works 5 there are various Excel options under File -- Save As -- (Save As Type). V4.5 shouldn't be much different. Rgds, Andy ...

Excel file size too big
I use Excel to pefom V-Lookups. After I have completed my V-lookup & resaved my file it's size jumps from 43KB to 5.16MB. There are no external lkins as I have pasted my values. I have all upgardes to Excel. I have been working the same way for a couple if years & this has just started happening. Does anyone have any suggestions? -- Brook Perhaps performing some steps to reduce the file size might lead you toward a permanent solution. http://www.officearticles.com/excel/troubleshoot_your_workbook_in_microsoft_excel.htm ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.c...

How do I insert a Publisher file into a Publisher document?
I edit a newsletter in Publisher. I've created a personal ad I want to insert into the newsletter but can't figure out how to do it. I can't seem to save the Publisher ad as a JPEG (that would be TOO easy!) and I can't open the Publisher ad with Photoshop. HELP!! Thanks, Cindy This is possible, but we need to know which version of Publisher you are using. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "an indigo mom" <an indigo mom@discussions.mic...

Excel Inserts Extra Rows In Text File
When I open a certain text file either with the macro listed below, o from windows explorer, Excel inserts a blank row between each row o data. Is there some setting that can be changed to correct this? Any assistance would be appreciated. Sincerely Jim Palmer ChDir "J:\" Dim Filter As String Dim Caption As String Filter = "All Files (*.*),*.*" Caption = "Select a File" SelectedFile = Application.GetOpenFilename(Filter, , Caption) Workbooks.OpenText Filename:=SelectedFile, _ Origin:=437, StartRow:=1 _ , DataType:=xlFixedWidth, FieldInfo:=Array(Array(0, ...

Can a CSV file created without a delimiting character be "fixed" ?
I have been given an extensive CSV file which has been created without a delimiting character !!! Thus, instead of records in columns in each row, each rows data is merged as a single entry. Unfortunately, the data sets are not applicatble to a "fixed width" method... Any ideas. Many thanks. "=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBJYWNvdm91?=" wrote... >I have been given an extensive CSV file which has been created without a >delimiting character !!! Thus, instead of records in columns in each row, >each rows data is merged as a single entry. Unfortunately, the data sets >are not ap...

File protection
Someone could tell me how i can add a password when i open a publisher file? Thanks You will need to get a program to do that. EasyFP is one of the best around for not only does it protect you file from intruding eyes, the file can not be deleted without the password. If interested, visit www.tinyurl.com/wifs Software page.Click on a song and enjoy the visit. -- Don -------- Vancouver, USA - One of the great cities in one of the 45+ countries in America! "Claudio Conti" <claudioconti77@tin.it> wrote in message news:ejYBb.191139$hV.7164184@news2.tin.it... > Someone ...

File dialog custom dialog overlap problem
I'm working with a fairly raw form of OpenFile (because of the VS6 bug that crashes CFileDIalog). I'm adding a custom dialog. I've got all the right styles: child window, no border, 3D Look, Control, and Clip Siblings. I'm using the form of the explorer dialog with the places bar on the left (which is what is desired). The little pair of radio buttons I've added in my separate dialog overlap the "network places" item in the places bar. I've fiddled with this for a while, but decided to stop wasting time and ask the question here. What did I do wrong, or what d...

Transfer a Publisher file to Word
I have made of a front page for a book in Publisher and want to copy it to the front of a Word document. It consists of a border, background, text and a jpg photo. I cannot save it as a *.pub and transfer to Word, so I am resaving in 'JPEG File Interchange Format' and transferring it that way. It goes across successfully but the text prints hairy edged. Any suggestions? -- B.Collin Transfer the images as images and the text as text. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.mvps.org/msauer/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "B.Collin" <BCollin@discussion...

Providing files to other applications
Hello, We need to provide files to other applications. To simplify the case, we have some background data storage (databases etc.) which contains files. Users can up- and download files through our .NET application. Now we want to give them the ability to open those files directly from inside our application (like if you click on mail-attachments in outlook), but we want to be able to write back the changes when the user modifies and saves the file in the application. We thought about the following ideas: - Writing out a temporary file, and watch it for changes (this seems to be ...

Made an audio from Producer; file will not open in Windows Media
I recorded an audio with Microsoft Producer, at the end of the recording I saved the file in an audio folder. When I see the file in Producer it appears as a Windows Media [.wma] file in the folder I had selected. The file has the icon of a WM file and is in a Project within Producer. When I open the file from Microsoft Publisher, it cannot open the file as it soesn't understand the format. I cannot find any reason the file should not open. The odd part is that when you look for .wma files nothing shows up in the file; when you look at All Files [*.*] there the file is and this time...

How DOS-like is the CMD prompt in WinXP, will it allow replacement of windows-critical files?
How DOS-like is the CMD prompt in WinXP Will it allow replacement of windows-critical files? That is, in the past when I wanted to update a file that couldn't be updated while XP was running, I booted to win98SE on the same box, and did it there. Or when I had ONLY win98, I could boot to native DOS and do it there. Because of getting a new computer, I don't think win98 will run anymore, so can I use the CMD-wimdow/prompt? Or am I still in windows then, to such an extent that a Windows file that can't be modified while windows is running, still can't b...