want to find duplicate Phone numbers when typed in excel 2003

I create a column and when i put a phone number in I want to have it
indivcate if its a duplicate perferrable in red
0
trvlpal (1)

Let's assume this is your data:

A1: 12345
A2: 54321
A3: 12345

Which cell(s) should be highlighted?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"trvlpal" <trvlpal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I create a column and when i put a phone number in I want to have it
> indivcate if its a duplicate perferrable in red

0
biffinpitt (3172)
8/11/2009 5:25:15 AM
Using column "A", place this formula in "conditional formatting" in cell
"A1", and format the font to "red".  Now highlight cell "A1" and all of the
cells you want to perform this function in, and "fill down".

=COUNTIF(A:A,A1)>1

"trvlpal" <trvlpal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I create a column and when i put a phone number in I want to have it
> indivcate if its a duplicate perferrable in red

0
19991 (3)
8/11/2009 10:25:33 AM
Right click sheet tab>view code>insert this>change column ltr to suit and
color index to suit.

Private Sub Worksheet_Change _
(ByVal Target As Range)
If Intersect(Target, Columns("M")) _
Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
If Application.CountIf(Columns("m"), _
Target) > 1 Then
MsgBox "Duplicate"
Target.Interior.ColorIndex = 6
End If
End Sub

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
"trvlpal" <trvlpal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I create a column and when i put a phone number in I want to have it
> indivcate if its a duplicate perferrable in red

0
dguillett1 (2487)
8/11/2009 1:00:49 PM
Select the whole column (say it's col A), use Format/Conditional Formatting,
change "Cell Value Is" to "Formula Is", enter this formula:
=COUNTIF($A$1:$A$1000,A1)>1
click Format, then Patterns tab, then select the red font.
HTH
Bob Umlas
Excel MVP

"trvlpal" <trvlpal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I create a column and when i put a phone number in I want to have it
> indivcate if its a duplicate perferrable in red

0
rumlas (268)

Error number: 0x800ccc0e
Why am I getting this right after installing Outlook 2000? It was a gift. I have had no success trying to get info from the knowledge base. Nothing has changed except installing Office 2000. I configured everything just as I had previous. Going back to Outlook Express I get the same error. What is going on? Same story here. And I would love to just be able to go back to OE at this point. Darla >-----Original Message----- >Why am I getting this right after installing Outlook 2000? >It was a gift. I have had no success trying to get info >from the knowledge base. Nothing ...

Trying to find out which numbers occure most often
I�m giving exams to students and want to see if the students are missin the same questions in every class. I have a simple spreadsheet tha has me enter the question number into the column each time a questio is missed. The MODE function can tell me which number is occurrin most often. However, I need to see if there is any other numbers tha are occurring often as well. Is there a command that will allow me to look at the second mos entered number? For example, if I have 5,3,3,2,3,4,3,4,1,3,4, my mod would be 3 as that�s the number that repeats the most. However, happens 3 times and that...

Outlook 2003 and "Check Names"

Password Issue with MS Money 2003

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2

Excel not Access

Excel 2007

Auto-format in Microsoft Excel.

Counting number of X's in a column

Opening Excel Workbooks

Outlook 2003

help with simple maths in excel

Find prev record on other requeried form
Using access 2003. I have a main form for name and address info. A subform shows limited info on client placement. Click a command button on the main form and user opens another form for full screen entry of placement data. That form opens showing the client selected on the initial main form. When the full screen placement form closes, it requeries the original main form with the placement subform to show the added placement. It goes to the first record in the table though. It does not show the original client whose placement was just added. How do I set the mai...

How do I use traffic lights in excel

Addressing within Exchange 2003