want to add all $ in column c where column A is the same

I'm very new at Excel, and a real math dummy.  I've
figured out how to enter a formula when all the  $ I want
to add are together, but I can't figure out how to do
that when I want to select only the $ values for certain
items listed throughout the spreadsheet.  For example:
I keep a running list of Architects, their projects and $
values of each project as they are assigned.  I want to
automatically calculate the total current $ value for
each Architect without having to sort them in order, or
create a separate table for each architect.  Can I do
that?

Here's what the list looks like:

Architect              Project        Amount

Adams                  123xx         $17,041.00
Baker Smith            01-3310	     $70,000.00
Baker Smith 	       ab33          $46,380.00
Adams                  144cc         $15,000.00
Jones                  233dd         $12,005.00
0
anonymous (74722)

Have you considered Pivot tables?  They would make a meal of this in *literally*
60 seconds:-

Select all data, hit Data / Pivot Table and PivotChart report, hit Next / Next /
Finish.

Drag Architect to the left of the table and Amount to the middle.  Done, and
make that 30 seconds.

If you'd like to see the projects by architect then just drag the Project field
in between Architect and the Values.

Intro:-

Regards
                  Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL 00/02/03

"Franny" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm very new at Excel, and a real math dummy.  I've
> figured out how to enter a formula when all the  $ I want
> to add are together, but I can't figure out how to do
> that when I want to select only the $ values for certain
> items listed throughout the spreadsheet.  For example:
> I keep a running list of Architects, their projects and $
> values of each project as they are assigned.  I want to
> automatically calculate the total current $ value for
> each Architect without having to sort them in order, or
> create a separate table for each architect.  Can I do
> that?
>
> Here's what the list looks like:
>
> Architect              Project        Amount
>
> Adams                  123xx         $17,041.00
> Baker Smith            01-3310      $70,000.00
> Baker Smith        ab33          $46,380.00
> Adams                  144cc         $15,000.00
> Jones                  233dd         $12,005.00

---

ken.wright (2489)
3/3/2004 11:36:20 PM
Thanks!  Exactly what I needed.  :-)

Excel

-------------------
-------------------

>"Franny" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>> I'm very new at Excel, and a real math dummy.  I've
>> figured out how to enter a formula when all the  $ I
want
>> to add are together, but I can't figure out how to do
>> that when I want to select only the $ values for
certain
>> items listed throughout the spreadsheet.  For example:
>> I keep a running list of Architects, their projects
and $
>> values of each project as they are assigned.  I want to
>> automatically calculate the total current $ value for
>> each Architect without having to sort them in order, or
>> create a separate table for each architect.  Can I do
>> that?
>>
>> Here's what the list looks like:
>>
>> Architect              Project        Amount
>>
>> Adams                  123xx         $17,041.00
>> Baker Smith            01-3310      $70,000.00
>> Baker Smith        ab33          $46,380.00
>> Adams                  144cc         $15,000.00
>> Jones                  233dd         $12,005.00
>

>---
>Checked by AVG anti-virus system
(http://www.grisoft.com).
03/03/2004

>.

0
anonymous (74722)
3/4/2004 7:03:06 PM
My pleasure - the following is a good intro if you feel we have whetted your
appetite for Pivot tables:-

> Thanks!  Exactly what I needed.  :-)

---

ken.wright (2489)

Select column with highest value
Hi, How do I get the desired result for the following sample Table1 data: Source Table: Table1 Columns: Mukey State L11 L12 L21 L22 m657753 AL 8.00 0.00 5.00 1.00 m657753 TN 0.00 1.00 3.00 0.00 m657754 AL 1.00 6.00 2.00 27.00 M657754 TN 0.00 4.00 1.00 5.00 Desired result: Target Table: Table2 Columns: Mukey State LandUse ...

Moving columns from one sheet to another based on user input
I have a spreadsheet that contains all my data on sheet1. The columns have Years as headings and dollar amounts underneath them. I have a drop down list for the user to pick the year from in cell R2. Whatever year they choose I want the appropriate column to move to sheet 3. Ex. if they choose 2009 I want Column M to move to sheet 3, if they choose 2010 I want column N to move to sheet 3. Any ideas??? try Sub movecoltosamecolinsheet() x = Range("r2") - 1997 Cells(1, x).EntireColumn.Cut Sheets("sheet3").Cells(1, x) End Sub -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett...

Unable to add custom field to a view/preview
I added a new attribute to the Quote and I am able to add this attribute to the form but the new attribute does not appear in the list of fields when I create a new view. Further, the new field does not appear in the list of fields if I try to add it to the quote preview. I am able to store and retrieve the value of the new field using the API. Thanks for any info. I figured it out. JohnE wrote: > I figured it out. Hi John! How do you solve the problem? Publish and IIS reset don't help. I don't see custom fields in "Customize views", but i can see custom fields ...

Go To the next empty cell in Column A
Using Vista and Excel 2007, I will be constructing a mailing list with 10 columns. In the first empty row of column A will be added a new name for the list. With 10 columns it is not possible to view Column A from Column L on screen. With hundreds of names to add to the list, I need a fast way to go to the next empty cell in column A to add the next name.. I am familiar with tables in Access where there is an icon that will take me to the next empty cell in column A. Is there a similar one stroke command to take me to the next empty cell in column A from anywhere in an Excel ...

Outlook wants me to save changes to normal.dot
Whenever I exit Outlook 2003 after using Word to write or edit messages I am prompted to save changes to normal.dot, even when I just open the new message window and close it straight away without typing any text. I've gone through the knowledge base without finding any relevant fixes - no virus found by Norton, no add-ins or macros and my office 2003 startup folder is empty. My easy fix has always been to go back to using HTML instead of Word, but miss the functionality of tables and other Word features. There is a word addin that causes it - if you have acrobat it's addin ...

I want to buy the best book of office 2003
Hi. I want to buy the best book of office 2003, what is the name of it? Marco Hi, Marco. > I want to buy the best book of office 2003, what is the name of it? "The Best Book of Office 2003." (Just kidding!) "Best" is subjective. Check out former Access MVP Jeff Conrad's lists of recommended books and find the ones for Access 2003, then go to your bookstore and look at each one to see if it's "for you" -- and your learning style. http://www.accessmvp.com/JConrad/accessjunkie/resources.html#Books Notice that these books are all Access databas...

How can I line up 2 columns with similar information?
I have 2 columns with names in each and I'd like to line them up next to each other. I think we'll need more information, Kathy. I don't understand what you're trying to do. Can you give exactly what's up? ************ Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "Kathy" <Kathy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A5C0BC96-7E27-4C55-89A3-03513FC0D409@microsoft.com... >I have 2 columns with names in each and I'd like to line them up next to >each > other. Column A has employee number, Column B has the same employee numbers but has addi...

How do I add a Trendline to a Pivot Chart
How do I add a trendline to a pivot chart? Help Thanks Leroy Maybe rightclick on one of the series lines in the chart and select Add TrendLine. Leroy wrote: > > How do I add a trendline to a pivot chart? Help! > > Thanks, > > Leroy -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com ...

Using namespaces? I've some messy nested contexts that I want to clean up...
Hi, I've got the following code structure Class A { ... private: Class B { public: enum C { ENUM X } C MyVar; C MyFunc() } } So for function definitions in B I have to write A::B::C A::B::MyFunc() and for objects of B in A if(pb->MyVar==B::ENUM_X) It's all just a bit messy. Isn't it. Someone please help. Regards. ...

How to add & delete custom field ?
- I added a custom view via the "customize view" - I added a new contact - I clicked on the All Fields tab & then User Defined Fields. My new field wasn't there. - I clicked on New and added it. Now it appeared twice. - I closed the new record w/o saving & went back to Custom view - Customize View - Both my custom fields were there... event though they had the same name !!!??? - I deleted one. - Now I can't find the other one. - I spent 2 hours trying to figgure this out. Can anybody just tell me how to add a custom field to my contacts... see that field when I add a...

How to Copy data from a row to a column
I trying to copy info from sheet 1 to sheet 2, the data in sheet 1 is in a row and I wishes to copy it to a column. I´m trying to use the function drag and + 1 for the entire row. Example Info in Sheet 1 row A1:X1 copy so that the (Sheet 2) column copy (Sheet2)A1=(Sheet1)A1, (Sheet1)B1=(Sheet2)A2, (Sheet1)C1=(Sheet2)A3 -- ongoing... Hi, after copying required/selected data, go to the cell wherever u desire to paste, there u go for an option paste special & select transpose in that box, "Stefan" wrote: > I trying to copy info from sheet 1 to sheet 2, the data i...

How do I make a particular column required in Excel? #2
Our NPO is creating a reimbursement chart in Excel. We're trying to make it so that if employees do not fill in one particular column entitled "Projects," they will get an error or will be unable to have a final sum filled in. Is there any way I can make this particular column required so that if it is not filled in, the chart will not complete properly? Thank you in advance for any advice or help--I'm a bit of a novice to this! ...

Excel Events Conflict with VB and C# AddIns
Hi, I have two com addins running in Excel. One is written in VB and the other in C#. Both addins are interested in the Workbookopen event. When the event is triggered the c# code captures the event but the VB code does not. If i disable the c# addin then the vb code works. Looks like the c# addin is somehow blocking the vb events. Anyone know how to fix this? Many thanks, Andy There is only one WorkbookOpen event, so once one add-in hooks it, there is nothing for the other one to hook. If you are hooking the WorkbookOpen event in your add-ins, this is likely your problem. You may need...

sp_columns does not return NVARCHAR data type columns
Hi, our SQL Server Version is 2000 SP4. For several days the SP "sp_columns" does not return NVARCHAR data type columns any more. I reviewd the SP "sp_columns" and it seems, that the used SP "spt_datatype_info" does not return that type any more. A second production server returns that column type. The SP "sp_columns" is used by the ODBC-Driver to determine the table columns. Any suggestions? Thanks a lot, Nils Ok, my fault, it seems that "spt_datatype_info" is a table and there is no NVARCHAR row. After insert...

How do I create a running subtraction column?
In other words, how do I create a column which subtracts from the preceeding cell? Hi you may provide some more details what you're trying to do exactly. Maybe post some example rows -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany aschneider wrote: > In other words, how do I create a column which subtracts from the > preceeding cell? If you want the balance in column B, and you are making entries in column A which are to be subtracted from the balance, put the starting balance in B1. In B2 put the formula =B1-A2 On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 08:35:08 -0700, "aschneider" <aschne...

CHKDSK 'Ok to decouple C drive?'
Trying to run chkdsk , will not run at boot , due to unknown sata xp problems but using, run , dos cmd , , chkdsk c: /r will run , but asks to 'dismount C drive' Q what happens if I select -ok- ? The operating system is on C .. what happens if its dismounted .. will chkdsk -re-mount- after its run .. or is this a one way trip ? tnx - G Graham wrote: > Trying to run chkdsk , will not run at boot , due to unknown > sata xp problems > > but using, run , dos cmd , , chkdsk c: /r will run , but asks > to 'di...

Listbox columns
I have an access form with a Microsoft Forms 2.0 Listbox which I defined to have four columns. I am unable to add any item to anywhere apart from the first column. Listbox7.additem callnum ......works fine adds to the first column Listbox7.column(1).additem callnum ...... fails and I expected it to add to the second column Can anyone help with the method of adding data to the Listbox columns. Many thanks ST First of all, why are you using the Forms 2.0 listbox? What's wrong with the one that's built into Access that you'r...

WinInet.dll InternetStatusCallBack in C#
Hi All, Trying to establish FTP connection thru a proxy using WinInet.dll calls. Proxy server requires the third ACCOUNT parameter to authenticate, InternetConnect always fails. I tried to define InternetStatusCallback delegate with different types of parameters, but it didn't work, a breakpoint set in the debugger was not activated. Any suggestions how to create it in C# and will it work if I want to interrupt the authentication and send an extra FtpCommand ACCOUNT to the proxy? Thanks, Vladimir ...

Excel columns greyed out
Please help. I received a spreadsheet from someone and they have information i which they somehow greyed out to the left. Now it is not just greye out becuase you cannot click on the cells or move the cursor into th grey area at all. You cannot even scoll past the spreadsheet the setup. They somehow prevented scrolling to the left or right. Th entire sheet is just the size of the data area. My question is. How did they do this. The sheet is not protected as unprotected it so it can't be that function. Please help. Chri -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi may...

Matching columns of data
is there a way in excel you can sort data but matching 2 columns of data at the same time. my data has lots of columns but i want to match up 2 columns in particular (to 1 dec place) so instead of (for example: 13.35 12.10 11.78 10.84 10.84 12.72 12.72 11.78 12.10 13.35 you can sort it cand match the columns up (like this) 10.84 10.84 11.78 11.78 12.10 12.10 12.72 12.72 13.35 13.35 but obviously it must move all the other row data as well can it be done...if not can it be done in access? thanks in advance Karlos, Eh? In the first row, the 10.84 in the left column came from a dif...

How do I compare data in two different spreadsheets i.e. (column .
How do I compare data in two different spreadsheets i.e. (column 1 against column 1)? Hi see: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm#InOneNotOther -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "inspector gadget" <inspector gadget@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:63E18069-C328-4EA5-9A2D-94551AD74D7D@microsoft.com... > How do I compare data in two different spreadsheets i.e. (column 1 against > column 1)? ...

Add Marque
How do I add a text marque to an access database On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 16:12:03 -0700, genxpro5 <genxpro5@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How do I add a text marque to an access database Letters of Marque went out of fashion in the 1800's - too close to piracy. Just what do you mean? A Trademark notice? a scrolling marquee? or what? More details please! -- John W. Vinson [MVP] Ooo la la!!! http://www.lettersofmarque.com/ "John W. Vinson" <jvinson@STOP_SPAM.WysardOfInfo.com> wrote in message news:pm93u3ppq72psffrmpap03gk141c7n2og1@4ax.com...

Openning Grouped Columns in Protected Sheets
We want to put such a protection to the sheet that, the protection will not prevent the user from openning grouped columns. This is possible only through a macro, for example: Sub a() With Sheet1 .EnableOutlining = True .Protect , True, True, True, True End With End Sub This setting does not get saved with the workbook, so it must be reset by running this macro each time the workbook is opened. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP ...

Want to see only specific number of records on a form
Hi I have a form with default view as "Continuous Forms". When I openthis form I only want to see the records equal to Recordcount i.e. ifI have 3 records I should only see three records. I dont want to seean extra one record which is blank. The easy way is simply to set the allow additions to "no".(you will still be able to add records via a code, or perhaps a "add" button you provide.Or, perhaps you don't even need add record ability...Anyway...give the above a try..it will remove that extra "new record" entry....-- Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)...

If date in this cell is 3/1/06 then in this cell I want Wednesday
Is this possible? Say I have a worksheet and I have the date in one cell. With that, would I be able in another cell, have some type of code that says if cell A1 is this date, to reference the Windows calender or another function, then place the actual day in this cell. -- right click on mouse click on format cells numbers tab custom enter dddd in box this will give you Wednesday -- davesexcel ------------------------------------------------------------------------ davesexcel's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=31708 View this thread: ...