VLOOKUP Question for New User

I have a list of 800 items I must look up from one worksheet and enter the
price on another worksheet.  The worksheets are not similar.  Using a common
item number that appears in both worksheets, will VLOOKUP do this for me?  In
other words copy a price from one worksheet to the proper column in another
worksheet?
0
vburns (4)

Let's say that your common item numbers are both in column A

=VLOOKUP(A2,OtherSheet!A:H,8,False)

will pull the data from column H of the OtherSheet.  If you actually have a separate workbook, then
the formula will be slightly different, but not significantly.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"vburns" <vburns@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a list of 800 items I must look up from one worksheet and enter the
> price on another worksheet.  The worksheets are not similar.  Using a common
> item number that appears in both worksheets, will VLOOKUP do this for me?  In
> other words copy a price from one worksheet to the proper column in another
> worksheet?

0
Bernie
8/19/2008 6:14:50 PM
Does this mean I still have to type in the item number each time in cell A2
to return the price from the other worksheet?

"Bernie Deitrick" wrote:

> Let's say that your common item numbers are both in column A
>
> =VLOOKUP(A2,OtherSheet!A:H,8,False)
>
> will pull the data from column H of the OtherSheet.  If you actually have a separate workbook, then
> the formula will be slightly different, but not significantly.
>
> HTH,
> Bernie
> MS Excel MVP
>

> "vburns" <vburns@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a list of 800 items I must look up from one worksheet and enter the
> > price on another worksheet.  The worksheets are not similar.  Using a common
> > item number that appears in both worksheets, will VLOOKUP do this for me?  In
> > other words copy a price from one worksheet to the proper column in another
> > worksheet?

0
vburns (4)
8/19/2008 7:15:01 PM
Yes

Perhaps a Data Validation Dropdown list in A2 would help?

See Debra Dalgleish's site for help on Data Validation lists.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 12:15:01 -0700, vburns
<vburns@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Does this mean I still have to type in the item number each time in cell A2
>to return the price from the other worksheet?
>
>"Bernie Deitrick" wrote:
>
>> Let's say that your common item numbers are both in column A
>>
>> =VLOOKUP(A2,OtherSheet!A:H,8,False)
>>
>> will pull the data from column H of the OtherSheet.  If you actually have a separate workbook, then
>> the formula will be slightly different, but not significantly.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Bernie
>> MS Excel MVP
>>

>> "vburns" <vburns@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a list of 800 items I must look up from one worksheet and enter the
>> > price on another worksheet.  The worksheets are not similar.  Using a common
>> > item number that appears in both worksheets, will VLOOKUP do this for me?  In
>> > other words copy a price from one worksheet to the proper column in another
>> > worksheet?

0
Gord
8/19/2008 11:02:59 PM
Too hasty with the first post.

If your list of items is in a range of say, A2:A800, simply enter Bernie's
formula in B2 then copy down to B800 by double-click on the fill handle of
B2.

Gord

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 12:15:01 -0700, vburns
<vburns@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Does this mean I still have to type in the item number each time in cell A2
>to return the price from the other worksheet?
>
>"Bernie Deitrick" wrote:
>
>> Let's say that your common item numbers are both in column A
>>
>> =VLOOKUP(A2,OtherSheet!A:H,8,False)
>>
>> will pull the data from column H of the OtherSheet.  If you actually have a separate workbook, then
>> the formula will be slightly different, but not significantly.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Bernie
>> MS Excel MVP
>>

>> "vburns" <vburns@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a list of 800 items I must look up from one worksheet and enter the
>> > price on another worksheet.  The worksheets are not similar.  Using a common
>> > item number that appears in both worksheets, will VLOOKUP do this for me?  In
>> > other words copy a price from one worksheet to the proper column in another
>> > worksheet?

0
Gord
8/19/2008 11:09:42 PM
Thank you for your help.  I'm determined to make this work, but I can't yet
get it to work.

My common item numbers are in column F in both worksheets.

I want my price returned from column G in the other price list to column P
of my worksheet.  This is my formula:

=VLOOKUP(F7:F651,'08pricelist'!F:G,7,FALSE)

Can you tell what I've done wrong?  I get the #REF! error.

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> Too hasty with the first post.
>
> If your list of items is in a range of say, A2:A800, simply enter Bernie's
> formula in B2 then copy down to B800 by double-click on the fill handle of
> B2.
>

> Gord
>
> On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 12:15:01 -0700, vburns
> <vburns@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Does this mean I still have to type in the item number each time in cell A2
> >to return the price from the other worksheet?
> >
> >"Bernie Deitrick" wrote:
> >
> >> Let's say that your common item numbers are both in column A
> >>
> >> =VLOOKUP(A2,OtherSheet!A:H,8,False)
> >>
> >> will pull the data from column H of the OtherSheet.  If you actually have a separate workbook, then
> >> the formula will be slightly different, but not significantly.
> >>
> >> HTH,
> >> Bernie
> >> MS Excel MVP
> >>

> >> "vburns" <vburns@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
vburns (4)
8/20/2008 3:53:05 PM
In P7, enter the formula:

=VLOOKUP(F7,'08pricelist'!F:G,2,FALSE)

and copy down as far as your need.

> Thank you for your help.  I'm determined to make this work, but I can't yet
> get it to work.
>
> My common item numbers are in column F in both worksheets.
>
> I want my price returned from column G in the other price list to column P
> of my worksheet.  This is my formula:
>
> =VLOOKUP(F7:F651,'08pricelist'!F:G,7,FALSE)
>
> Can you tell what I've done wrong?  I get the #REF! error.
>
> "Gord Dibben" wrote:
>
>> Too hasty with the first post.
>>
>> If your list of items is in a range of say, A2:A800, simply enter Bernie's
>> formula in B2 then copy down to B800 by double-click on the fill handle of
>> B2.
>>

>> Gord
>>
>> On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 12:15:01 -0700, vburns
>> <vburns@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Does this mean I still have to type in the item number each time in cell A2
>> >to return the price from the other worksheet?

0
Bernie
8/20/2008 4:02:20 PM
Thank you so much.  I don't understand the significance of the column index
value of 2, but this worked for most items.  Not all prices are in column G
on the price sheet so those items did not return a price, but I'll go back
and tweak those.

"Bernie Deitrick" wrote:

> In P7, enter the formula:
>
> =VLOOKUP(F7,'08pricelist'!F:G,2,FALSE)
>
> and copy down as far as your need.
>
> HTH,
> Bernie
> MS Excel MVP
>

> "vburns" <vburns@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you for your help.  I'm determined to make this work, but I can't yet
> > get it to work.
> >
> > My common item numbers are in column F in both worksheets.
> >
> > I want my price returned from column G in the other price list to column P
> > of my worksheet.  This is my formula:
> >
> > =VLOOKUP(F7:F651,'08pricelist'!F:G,7,FALSE)
> >
> > Can you tell what I've done wrong?  I get the #REF! error.
> >
> > "Gord Dibben" wrote:
> >
> >> Too hasty with the first post.
> >>
> >> If your list of items is in a range of say, A2:A800, simply enter Bernie's
> >> formula in B2 then copy down to B800 by double-click on the fill handle of
> >> B2.
> >>

> >> Gord

0
vburns (4)
8/20/2008 4:35:03 PM
VLOOKUP takes 3 arguments, with an optional fourth.  The third argument is the column of the table
to extract the data from - it cannot be a number higher than the number of columns in the table.
Since your table is columns F and G, you only have 2 columns of data, and so 2 is the proper value
for the third argument, not 7.  Check out help on VLOOKUP for more.

> Not all prices are in column G

They should all be in column G - that is proper usage of a database.

> Thank you so much.  I don't understand the significance of the column index
> value of 2, but this worked for most items.  Not all prices are in column G
> on the price sheet so those items did not return a price, but I'll go back
> and tweak those.
>
> "Bernie Deitrick" wrote:
>
>> In P7, enter the formula:
>>
>> =VLOOKUP(F7,'08pricelist'!F:G,2,FALSE)
>>
>> and copy down as far as your need.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Bernie
>> MS Excel MVP
>>

>> "vburns" <vburns@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thank you for your help.  I'm determined to make this work, but I can't yet
>> > get it to work.
>> >
>> > My common item numbers are in column F in both worksheets.
>> >
>> > I want my price returned from column G in the other price list to column P
>> > of my worksheet.  This is my formula:
>> >
>> > =VLOOKUP(F7:F651,'08pricelist'!F:G,7,FALSE)
>> >
>> > Can you tell what I've done wrong?  I get the #REF! error.

0
Bernie

Web Query question
I am trying to download stock options through the following vba code, however i am having problem with separator between "m" field which is month and "s" field which is stock symbol, I appreciate any help i can get, With ActiveSheet.QueryTables.Add(Connection:= _ "URL;http://finance.yahoo.com/q/op?s=" & Range("b1").Value;&m=2010-05", Destination:=Range("$A$11")) thanks david I think you are mising (at least) one quote? Reg Migrant "David" wrote: > I am trying to download stock optio...

I have a data table that looks like this: Code ------------------- STR-S SNK-S STR-K STR-F SNK-S STR-3 STR-2 STR-F SNK-S SNK-4 SNK-S STR-3 SNK-F STR-4 STR-O ------------------- "STR", etc at the beginning are pitch types, SNK is Sinker for example The end character is the result of the pitch, a 4 would be a home run, 3 a triple, and so forth. O is out, F is foul, S is strike --- you ge it. How can I figure the amount of RBI's? I know that it's 5, but I can' think of any automated way to calculate this, anyone got any ideas? THANK YOU!! :confused -- AVER...

AD/Network design question
Hello all I have a 2 sites which users come and go from. These sites have 2 different network ip domains (192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x). Users need to be authenticated using the same user id and password at both sites. DC/GC is at 192.168.1.x and is a SBS 2003. Server at 192.168.2.x is Server 2003. When the server at 192.168.2.x is connected via vpn to 192.168.1.x all is well. How do I get the server at 192.168.2.x to act as a AD/DC when it’s not connected to 192.168.1.x ? Thank you Hal I think you will run here into the limitations of SBS :-( @ SBS experts : ...

Office 2010 Buying Question Assistance Needed
I've been looking through the MS Office 2010 web site to try to determine what my new small company would require, but I can't find the information I need. We for sure would need Office Pro Plus, but other than that I'm not sure. We want to run it on our own server. We will initially have 3-5 people using it and perhaps more later on. Would we need to purchase site licensing? Unfortunately, our programmers are MS haters (I'm not) and I can't get any assistance from them on this, but I have power of the pen. I would appreciate any assistance I can get. Th...

why I see times new roman?
I have several html email messages composed in outlook express 6, I'm sure I highlited all text and set it to Arial 10. Then I drag the file to desktop, move it to vista windows mail draggin into inbox or other folder. The result is some parts of text shows arial 10 but some others Times new roman 10 or 12 what is annoying, because I use all arial 10, so I have to manually forward the email, highligh it again and set arial 10 and then, yes, I can see it properly. I checked the compose default font and everything is fine. Why is that? Is there any work around , helo...

Custom CRect Question
I have a custom rectangle class that inherits from CRect: class CCustomRect : public CRect { private: CPoint m_maxPt; COLORREF m_color; TCHAR text[50]; public: CCustomRect(RECT* source, CPoint pt, COLORREF rgb); RECT* RectBase(); void Update(RECT* r); } Inheritance has worked well until I found myself needing to create the RectBase function (above) to return the rectangle dimensions. CRect does not seem to have any methods that can be called to return the base class's RECT value. I could take CRect::Size and construct a rectangle to return, but this seems a bit much. My...

Question About Missing Data
So, this is probably really easy, but I just want to ask and see if I may be missing something here. Some data on vendor numbers changed. Let’s say IBM used to have a vendor number 12345 and now it’s vendor number is 56789. I can identify IBM as IBM, but I really want to use the number, not the name. Should I set up a table that ties the numbers together, so that Access knows 12345 = 56789? Or, should I do some kind of Update Query and change all incidences of 12345 to be 56789? Or, is there some other, method, like a ‘best practices for missing data’? Thanks! Ryan--- ...

single user mode
Hi, I need to be able to establish an exclusive connection to the database and do a restore to it. Nobody, can be connected to that database prior to the restore. Also, I need to be able to schedule it to run on a daily basis. I tried putting that db in a single user mode and then do the restored in a transaction but I got the error that the restore command is not allowed in the begin tran commit tran. How can I accomplish that? tolcis (nytollydba@gmail.com) writes: > I need to be able to establish an exclusive connection to the database > and do a restore to it. Nobody, c...

VS 2005 beta question
All, I need to complie some code. I am going from 16bit to 64 bit. The job do not want to spend the money on VS 2005.net. If I compile the code with the beta version or trial version of VS 2005.NET will it time bomb on me? Thanks in advance The code won't, but eventually the compiler will stop working. Don't know if the trial will support 64 bit though. I guess you get what you pay for. Tom "karibbean" <sharp_mind@REMOVE.this.email.msn.dotcom> wrote in message news:%23OyZFNUFGHA.1124@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > All, > > I need to complie some cod...

Why do my questions get deleted sometimes?
Apologies, I have posted this on the worksheet functions group too... I love the feedback I get from these groups, but every now and then, my messages get deleted. I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong. Many of my messages ARE posted and answered, and I'm grateful for that, but one or two get removed - regardless of how often I post them. I don't swear or say anything bad about Excel - I love it. So why don't they get posted are there some words or subjects that I should avoid? Will this one get deleted - it's a bit off subject? But I'd love to have an ans...

Named ranges
Excel 2003 I have a total sheet that gets data from three different shift sheets (all in the same workbook) for a monthly report. I have named ranges on each shift sheet for each month's production data (S1M1, S1M2, S1M3, S2M1...) where S1M1 =A2:AC147, S1M2 = A148:AC329, etc. The old formula was:=SUMIF('SHIFT 1'!$L$1:$L$147,"BB",'SHIFT 1'!$T$1:$T$147). I'm stumped as to what the new formula would be - how would I direct Excel to column L of S1M1 to search for "BB", then add the contents of column T? The range changes each month, and I tho...

"Organizational folder": 'new' menu is not available
I am following article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;244591 and I try to create an organization folder. I go to my "Public FOlder", click "System folder". I see EFORMS listed there. I right click the option and I don't see the option "new". What's wrong ? Exch 2000SP3. ...

VLookup #VALUE! error help needed to resolve
The following is the funcation I have: =VLOOKUP(B10,'FA CC Summary Report 1141'!F$9:G$92,2,0) I have all the columns formatted the same; as in the column that the function is using to lookup is text and so is the column for this figure in order to pull back the appropriate answer. I have keyed the data instead of having links. I have replaced the final '0' with TRUE & FALSE then put it back. I have formatted the columns for text and for numbers. But I am getting the #VALUE! error in SOME of the cells NOT all of the cells. I don't know what else to d...

A question about CToolTipCtrl.
Hi All: Chinese English following! I add a CToolTipCtrl member in my dialog, and create it in OnInitDialog function, at last, I add a CEdit control to CToolTipCtrl member.When the CEdit control is enabled, tool tip can pop up normally, but when the CEdit control is disabled, tool tip can't pop up. How can I solve this problem? Thanks. Fiveight Take a look at http://www.codeguru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=309050&highlight=CToolTipCtrl+disable -- If the message was helpful to you, click Yes next to Was this post helpful to you? Regards, Goldbach "fiveight" wrot...

Mail to No. of users
Hi I our organization we are having Exchange 2003. We are facing one small problem that whenever user tries to send a mail to multiple user (especially multiple distribution groups)he recives following error message from administrator. The e-mail system limits the number of recipients that can be addressed in a single message. Send the message multiple times to fewer recipients. <Exchange.test.com #5.5.3> Where i can found this setting so i can get rid of this limit... Please help Cheers Taj go to exchange -globle setting - message deliver and right click and proper...

Public Folder acces right for user from other domain
Hi, I need to make a public folder accesible for users drom another domain. I have read that this can be done by configuring the folder as a publicly available newsgroup but how do I do this? Mario ...

Problem in restricting users from sending/receving internet email
I have found a helpful articel here: http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF009.html I read it through couple times but I would like to ask some questions before I start the work on our Exchange 2000 server. 1. The "group" I am going to create for adding users into the restricting list, will it be a Security group or Distribution group? What group scope should I give it? 2. Under the section of "Restricting Users from Sending Internet Base Email", the article tells us to create a *new* SMTP connector and add the group into the "Dilivery Restriction" page. Will ...

User accout shows new email
On start up a message shows in my user account that I have new email messages but am using Outlook 2003 and all incoming emails have been deleted. How do I clear the message ...

Remote ActiveSync User Permission Errors...
Hello, We recently purchased a few Motorola Q smartphones for our users. I already have a PPC-6700 that I've been using Exchange ActiveSync on for about 10 months. It works fine. So, I installed the same certificate on the Motorola and provided the end users username and password, entering it exactly as is on mine. It gives the 0x85010004 error...."Your account in Microsoft Exchange Server does not have permission to synchronize with your current settings. Contact your Exchange Server administrator" So...the first thing I did was check Mobile settings for the user...