Vlookup no working

I have only 2 worksheets in column A is the item # which sometimes has a
letter associated with it as in 815NB in column B is the desctiption. This
formula works fine when the cell only contains a number but will not
including the letter.  I can manually retype the cell info and the formula
will find it even with the letter association. Worksheet 1 has 14000 rows
and Worksheet 2 has 3000 rows, so I only need some of the information from
the 1st worksheet.  The formula I'm using is =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A1,LKF!A:B,2,
FALSE)), "", VLOOKUP(A1,LKF!A:B,2, FALSE))  Sorry for the length.  I also
tried to change text numbers to numbers and this did not work either.
Thanks for any assistance

0
rdavis7965 (10)

To be absolutely sure your values match, you should be able to copy one and
replace the other (supposed) match with it (or just type the same value into
both cells), and see if it works now. If it DOES, then likely, one of your
lists has spaces in the values somehow.
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Rose Davis" <rdavis@lkfinc.com> wrote in message
>I have only 2 worksheets in column A is the item # which sometimes has a
> letter associated with it as in 815NB in column B is the desctiption. This
> formula works fine when the cell only contains a number but will not
> including the letter.  I can manually retype the cell info and the formula
> will find it even with the letter association. Worksheet 1 has 14000 rows
> and Worksheet 2 has 3000 rows, so I only need some of the information from
> the 1st worksheet.  The formula I'm using is
> =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A1,LKF!A:B,2,
> FALSE)), "", VLOOKUP(A1,LKF!A:B,2, FALSE))  Sorry for the length.  I also
> tried to change text numbers to numbers and this did not work either.
> Thanks for any assistance

0
ng1 (1444)
8/26/2005 3:43:04 PM
I am able to replace the cells with a typed and or copied one and I will get
a match, but I don't have spaces between the values.  Here is a sample of
the item #'s.
8110101Y-LN
8120002-LN
8120002-LNHS
8120100
8120100SYG
Thanks
"Anne Troy" <ng@officearticles.com> wrote in message
> To be absolutely sure your values match, you should be able to copy one
and
> replace the other (supposed) match with it (or just type the same value
into
> both cells), and see if it works now. If it DOES, then likely, one of your
> lists has spaces in the values somehow.
> ************
> Anne Troy
> www.OfficeArticles.com
>
> "Rose Davis" <rdavis@lkfinc.com> wrote in message
> >I have only 2 worksheets in column A is the item # which sometimes has a
> > letter associated with it as in 815NB in column B is the desctiption.
This
> > formula works fine when the cell only contains a number but will not
> > including the letter.  I can manually retype the cell info and the
formula
> > will find it even with the letter association. Worksheet 1 has 14000
rows
> > and Worksheet 2 has 3000 rows, so I only need some of the information
from
> > the 1st worksheet.  The formula I'm using is
> > =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A1,LKF!A:B,2,
> > FALSE)), "", VLOOKUP(A1,LKF!A:B,2, FALSE))  Sorry for the length.  I
also
> > tried to change text numbers to numbers and this did not work either.
> > Thanks for any assistance

0
rdavis7965 (10)
8/26/2005 3:52:51 PM
Sorry, Rose. I didn't mean "between" the values. But perhaps there's
something weird before or after the values. Insert a column and try
=trim(a1) on these values, and then replace the old values with the trimmed
values (copy, Edit-->Paste special, Values) and delete the column you
inserted to trim them. See if that helps. If not, I'm willing to have a look
at your workbook.
************

>I am able to replace the cells with a typed and or copied one and I will
>get
> a match, but I don't have spaces between the values.  Here is a sample of
> the item #'s.
> 8110101Y-LN
> 81101035
> 8110113
> 8120002-LN
> 8120002-LNHS
> 8120100
> 8120100SYG
> Thanks
> "Anne Troy" <ng@officearticles.com> wrote in message
>> To be absolutely sure your values match, you should be able to copy one
> and
>> replace the other (supposed) match with it (or just type the same value
> into
>> both cells), and see if it works now. If it DOES, then likely, one of
>> your
>> lists has spaces in the values somehow.
>> ************
>> Anne Troy
>> www.OfficeArticles.com
>>
>> "Rose Davis" <rdavis@lkfinc.com> wrote in message
>> >I have only 2 worksheets in column A is the item # which sometimes has a
>> > letter associated with it as in 815NB in column B is the desctiption.
> This
>> > formula works fine when the cell only contains a number but will not
>> > including the letter.  I can manually retype the cell info and the
> formula
>> > will find it even with the letter association. Worksheet 1 has 14000
> rows
>> > and Worksheet 2 has 3000 rows, so I only need some of the information
> from
>> > the 1st worksheet.  The formula I'm using is
>> > =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A1,LKF!A:B,2,
>> > FALSE)), "", VLOOKUP(A1,LKF!A:B,2, FALSE))  Sorry for the length.  I
> also
>> > tried to change text numbers to numbers and this did not work either.
>> > Thanks for any assistance

0
ng1 (1444)
8/26/2005 4:20:08 PM
Just a thought, is the data comimg from an external source like a web site?
"Rose Davis" <rdavis@lkfinc.com> wrote in message
>I am able to replace the cells with a typed and or copied one and I will
>get
> a match, but I don't have spaces between the values.  Here is a sample of
> the item #'s.
> 8110101Y-LN
> 81101035
> 8110113
> 8120002-LN
> 8120002-LNHS
> 8120100
> 8120100SYG
> Thanks
> "Anne Troy" <ng@officearticles.com> wrote in message
>> To be absolutely sure your values match, you should be able to copy one
> and
>> replace the other (supposed) match with it (or just type the same value
> into
>> both cells), and see if it works now. If it DOES, then likely, one of
>> your
>> lists has spaces in the values somehow.
>> ************
>> Anne Troy
>> www.OfficeArticles.com
>>
>> "Rose Davis" <rdavis@lkfinc.com> wrote in message
>> >I have only 2 worksheets in column A is the item # which sometimes has a
>> > letter associated with it as in 815NB in column B is the desctiption.
> This
>> > formula works fine when the cell only contains a number but will not
>> > including the letter.  I can manually retype the cell info and the
> formula
>> > will find it even with the letter association. Worksheet 1 has 14000
> rows
>> > and Worksheet 2 has 3000 rows, so I only need some of the information
> from
>> > the 1st worksheet.  The formula I'm using is
>> > =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A1,LKF!A:B,2,
>> > FALSE)), "", VLOOKUP(A1,LKF!A:B,2, FALSE))  Sorry for the length.  I
> also
>> > tried to change text numbers to numbers and this did not work either.
>> > Thanks for any assistance

0
alan111 (581)
8/26/2005 4:48:28 PM
That did it.  Last part of my problem.  How do I get 3 cells to replace 3
cells based on if J1=yes or no.  I have information in cells c1,d1,e1 and I
need to replace these with the information in cells f1, g1, h1. Basically
just clearing those 3 cells and replacing with f,g,h.  I am unable to delete
and move left because of the amount of information in 14000 rows.
> Sorry, Rose. I didn't mean "between" the values. But perhaps there's
> something weird before or after the values. Insert a column and try
> =trim(a1) on these values, and then replace the old values with the
trimmed
> values (copy, Edit-->Paste special, Values) and delete the column you
> inserted to trim them. See if that helps. If not, I'm willing to have a
look
> at your workbook.
> ************
> Anne Troy
> www.OfficeArticles.com
>
> "Rose Davis" <rdavis@lkfinc.com> wrote in message
> >I am able to replace the cells with a typed and or copied one and I will
> >get
> > a match, but I don't have spaces between the values.  Here is a sample
of
> > the item #'s.
> > 8110101Y-LN
> > 81101035
> > 8110113
> > 8120002-LN
> > 8120002-LNHS
> > 8120100
> > 8120100SYG
> > Thanks
> > "Anne Troy" <ng@officearticles.com> wrote in message
> >> To be absolutely sure your values match, you should be able to copy one
> > and
> >> replace the other (supposed) match with it (or just type the same value
> > into
> >> both cells), and see if it works now. If it DOES, then likely, one of
> >> your
> >> lists has spaces in the values somehow.
> >> ************
> >> Anne Troy
> >> www.OfficeArticles.com
> >>
> >> "Rose Davis" <rdavis@lkfinc.com> wrote in message
> > This
> > formula
> > rows
> > from
> > also

0
rdavis7965 (10)
8/26/2005 5:11:40 PM
When you have a different question, you might want to ask it new only
because the questions get old fast around here, and asking it new should get
you a qucker answer. :)
I'm not sure I understand what you're doing, but if you wanted c1, d1, e1 to
be equal to f1, g1, h1 ONLY if J1 says "Yes", then try something like this
(I am assuming that right now the values you have in c1, d1, and e1 are "A",
"B", and "C". So in C1:
=if(J1="Yes",f1,"A")
in D1:
=if(J1="Yes",g1,"B")
in E1:
=if(J1="Yes",h1,"C")
I hope it helps!
************

> That did it.  Last part of my problem.  How do I get 3 cells to replace 3
> cells based on if J1=yes or no.  I have information in cells c1,d1,e1 and
> need to replace these with the information in cells f1, g1, h1. Basically
> just clearing those 3 cells and replacing with f,g,h.  I am unable to
> delete
> and move left because of the amount of information in 14000 rows.
> "Anne Troy" <ng@officearticles.com> wrote in message
>> Sorry, Rose. I didn't mean "between" the values. But perhaps there's
>> something weird before or after the values. Insert a column and try
>> =trim(a1) on these values, and then replace the old values with the
> trimmed
>> values (copy, Edit-->Paste special, Values) and delete the column you
>> inserted to trim them. See if that helps. If not, I'm willing to have a
> look
>> at your workbook.
>> ************
>> Anne Troy
>> www.OfficeArticles.com
>>
>> "Rose Davis" <rdavis@lkfinc.com> wrote in message
>> >I am able to replace the cells with a typed and or copied one and I will
>> >get
>> > a match, but I don't have spaces between the values.  Here is a sample
> of
>> > the item #'s.
>> > 8110101Y-LN
>> > 81101035
>> > 8110113
>> > 8120002-LN
>> > 8120002-LNHS
>> > 8120100
>> > 8120100SYG
>> > Thanks
>> > "Anne Troy" <ng@officearticles.com> wrote in message
>> > and
>> > into

>> > This
>> > formula
>> > rows
>> > from
>> > also

0
ng1 (1444)

Preview works in Express but not in Outlook
I get a daily server statistic sent to my e-mail. It's an HTML based message. It comes to my home Outlook Express v6 account and previews without problem but when I view it from my office computer that has Outlook from Office XP, it doesn't show the preview. The office computer shows the preview text but only lists the HTML files that comprise the page. The files being sent are PNG images of server statistics. How do I get my office computer (Outlook from Office XP) to preview like it does in Outlook Express v6? Thanks -Allen This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000...

Keyword EXCEPT not working
Folks, Does the keyword EXCEPT work only in SQL Server 2005 and later versions? Thanks! J.S. Yes. Tom "Jack" <jack@nospamplease.com> wrote in message news:usaNNmFULHA.796@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Folks, > > Does the keyword EXCEPT work only in SQL Server 2005 and later versions? > > Thanks! > J.S. Thanks, Tom. Could you advise me of any workaround that may accomplish the same thing in SQL Server 2000? Let me explain the issue I have been trying to solve but without success. It seems very simple but just doesn't get so...

LVS_EX_LABELTIP tooltip doesn't work as expected
Does anyone see the same problem and have a solution for this? Using LVS_EX_LABELTIP style, I could see the tooltip displayed when a long label doesn't fit into the column. However, if the label gets truncated just a little, there's no tool tip at all. Thanks Not sure what's happening, but maybe this will help you: http://www.codeproject.com/listctrl/ctooltiplistctrl.asp Tom <mdnightman@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1143752348.107524.216550@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > Does anyone see the same problem and have a solution for this? > > Using LVS_EX_LAB...

CRM Reports: Subscription is not working
Hi, I scheudule the report in CRM to generate snapshot periodically and in Reporting manager, I setup the subscription. No report delivered through email. My CRM Web app hosted in machineA and reporting+DB hosted in machineB. The subscription works in my VPC where all one part installed in single machine. Looking into the reporting server Log Files I notice there is a message like this: ***************************************************************************************************************** library!WindowsService_1!1320!09/25/2009-00:00:05:: Call to UpdateExecutionSnapshotAction(). ...

Complicated formula not working in 97
Below is the formula (spaced to make the IFs easier to read). =IF( AND(AND(ISTEXT(B4),NOT(B4="")),AND(ISTEXT($B$1),NOT($B$1=""))), ==>TRUE IF($B$1="IS_weap_list", ==>#NAME? IF(HasFormula(VLOOKUP(B28,IS_weap_table,MATCH("Dam",IS_weap_head,0),0)), ==>TRUE UseSameAs(VLOOKUP(B28,IS_weap_table, MATCH("Dam",IS_weap_head,0),0)), ==>NAME? VLOOKUP(B28,IS_weap_table, MATCH("Dam",IS_weap_head,0),0)), ==>NAME? IF(HasFormula(VLOOKUP(B28,CL_weap_table, MATCH("Dam",CL_weap_head...

How does the tax field work in the transaction template
i am trying to use thetransactions template by access in 2007 but the tax file i dont know how it woks can someone just explain to me what it does and how is working. ...

Numeric keypad not working in Office programs
Some other people have the same problem, but I don't think I have the Microsoft "Network Security Updater", and I don't have a Microsoft Preferences file under the Library>Preferences field which worked as solutions for the others. I am running an iBook G4 1.33 GHz. I have the latest version and update of Office for Mac. I just updated Office (today) to see if that would solve the problem, but it didn't. I tried resetting the PMU, and that didn't work. I also checked to make sure that the mouse keys are set to "off" (I even turned them on, and then back ...

hyperlinks won't work
I have Publisher 2000 and am trying to upload a webpage and some of the hyperlinks won't work. Please help. In the future when you use the Microsoft Community please take note that there are topic specific forums for a product, designed to enhance the level of support you'll find in the Community. For your posted topic our WebDesign forum - microsoft.public.publisher.webdesign - would be the applicable resource. Work thru the common mistakes listed at http://www.publishermvps.com/Default.aspx?tabid=30 David Bartosik - [MSFT MVP] http://www.publishermvps.com http://www.davidbartosi...

Autofilter not working for cells with data validation
Hi all I have a long column of cells that have the same data validation lists applied to them. At the top of the list is an auto filter. However when I go to use the autofilter and select of the options it doesn't work...grrrrr. please help!!! thanx in advance Freddo Frog Freddo What is "doesn't work"? I just tested 5000 rows in a column. Selected A1:A5000 and DV>List. Entered days of the week. Selected Sunday through Saturday in A1:A7 Copied down to A5000. Autofiltered on Monday in Column A and worked fine. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 21:30:39 -...

How to calculate the day before last two working day of each month
How to calculate the day before last two working day of each month? e.g., 28th of June, 27th of July, 29th of August, 28th of Sept...? On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 01:20:01 -0700, "Angus" <Angus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How to calculate the day before last two working day of each month? e.g., >28th of June, 27th of July, 29th of August, 28th of Sept...? With any date in the month of interest in A1: =workday(DATE(YEAR(A1),MONTH(A1)+1,1),-2)-1 If the WORKDAY function is not available, and returns the #NAME? error, install and load the Analysis ToolPak add-in. On...

modified vlookup help
I don't know if this will be a vlookup or something similar but here's what I need: -user enters a number that could range anywhere from 0 to 22667.27 -formula should match whatever number the user entered against an applicable range and then return a different number -For example a user enters 2931.15 -Formula should return a value of "125" since the user defined number falls between 2930.92 and 2954.54 -Formula should return a value of "126" if user enters 2970.12 because that value falls between 2954.55 and 2978.18 I have a list of hundreds of d...

Export chart to GIF no longer works after installing Excel 2007b2
I've used the following Visual Basic code in Excel 2000 to export a chart to GIF. However, after installing Excel 2007b2 I now get errors (method of export failed) when using the same old code in Excel 2000 and cannot export. Does anybody know if something has changed? ActiveSheet.ChartObjects(1).Activate ActiveChart.Export Filename:="C:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents\mychart.gif", filtername:="gif" In article <437CC93C-BE02-4461-ADF9-2D2EB721E5B5@microsoft.com>, ExcelFan@discussions.microsoft.com says... > I've used the follo...

can Excel work similar to Lotus?
I use Excel for Order entry and Tracking. Is there a way to set up the worksheets so that when you enter information on one page, it automatically fills in certain fields on another page? Sounds confusing but i would like to know if it can work similar to Lotus. Thank you. you can easily like pages from one to another using the + key. Lila You can link cells from one sheet to another or even to another workbook. Assume you enter data in Sheet1 A1 and want it to appear on Sheet2 at B34. In Sheet2 B34 enter =Sheet1!A1 Alternate........ Enter an = sign in B34 then switch to Sheet1 an...

Vlookup won't work for me... Aiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Hi, I have two files of data with common names between them. I use vlookup to extract data from one file and move it into another. I have never run into the problem I'm having now. My PC at home has XL2000 and my PC at work has XL2002. The names come from the same web site, but no matter what I try I can't get the lookup to work. I've tried using trim on both files to get rid of extra stuff, I've formatted both name columns as text, I've used the format painter to paint the format the same as in the original lookup file, but nothing works. Except... If I copy the name f...

BSTR not working ?
Hi, I have created an Active X component in VC++ 6.0 I have exported a method with signature BSTR funcAdd (LPCTSTR name); Now I use this ocx generated in Visual Basic 6.0 form.. I call the function .... like Dim ret As String ret=Obj.funcAdd("Vale"); On checking this return value I get nothing...just empty... Help me with where I am wrong.... Thanks., sandSpiderX In COM, the return value determine if an error occurred. The return value, as viewed by VB, is actually an argument passed to the function. There are wizards that will implement this for you. You might check them o...

Will hyperlinks work in a snapshot report?
I have a report that has working hyperlinks when it is exported to an HTML format. The problem with this solution is that the report loses all of its formatting. When I output the report as a snapshot it retains it formatting but the hyperlinks do not work. Is there a way to output an Access report so it retains its formatting and has usable hyperlinks? Thanks in advance. You can print the report to a pdf using the win2pdf printer which will take anything that looks like a hyperlink and change it into an actual working hyperlink. Perhaps other pdf printer drivers and...

OWA won't work with IE
Hi, I have an Exchange2003 Server running within a local lan. The OWA is accessed over a firewall => https://firewall/exchange these requests are forwarded to an apache2 server, whose handling client authentication by certificates and, if auth is succesfull, makes an ProxyPass to http://exchangeserver/exchange. So far so good ... Now everything works fine .. with Firefox and Opera. I can authenticate and login to ExchangeServer and with Firefox the site even displays something useable. BUT NOT LIKE IE would do. So the whole stuff must work with IE. The Problem: Accessing the OWA via ...

WM_ERASEBKGND & WM_CTLCOLOR don't seem to be working for my owner drawn button
Hello all, I've been stuck on this problem for days now, I have an owner drawn themed button(which draws a transparent bitmap and right aligned text). I implement this button on a dialog which has a GDI+ lineargradient which is applied via the dialogs WM_ERASEBKGND(which works fine). And I have followed the advice I've found to use WM_ERASEBKGND in my owner drawn buttons class to return a null brush , I've also done the same in WM_CTLCOLOR of the buttons' class. but these DO NOT work. I still end up with this white rectangle that is around my button . I've traced it to Draw...

VLookup N/A Error
We have the following formula that returns a numerical result for some, but #N/A for others. Why an error and not a number? =VLOOKUP(A8,'Highmark run'!$A$5:$Y$1821,23,FALSE) -- Wanda Garner Highmark Blue Shield If there is no exact match for A8 in the target range (W5:W1821 in this case), #N/A is returned. -- Ian -- "WandaSG" <WandaSG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B8E41BBD-44EF-47BF-86E7-64763B6149B8@microsoft.com... > We have the following formula that returns a numerical result for some, > but > #N/A for others. Why an error and...

LAN not working
I have two PC's, both running windows XP Professional. After I setup the LAN connection on the second PC, restart, and then check "Start" and look for "My Network Places" it is not there. It is there on the first PC. I have re-setup this LAN 7 times now but I cannot get the second PC to recognize the first PC. Any help would surely be appreciated. -- JungleJim74 In news:097B9493-AF46-4D22-BF82-C8EE2E9410A4@microsoft.com, JungleJim74 <jimrichards74@att.net(donotspam)> typed: > I have two PC's, both running windows XP Professional. After I s...

Work out of a number is between a range and display YES or NO
Why wont my formula work? =IF(AND(K90>1, K90<L90), "YES", "no") In K90 I have the formula: =IF(E90="","",IF($B$4="",TODAY()-E90,IF(E90>$B$4,"Other",$B$4-E90))) Which displays a number. In box L90 I have the formula: =(Master!L90) which displays from a different sheet a number. Hi Steve, It looks to me as if your formulae DO work - it's just that you're not getting the results you expect. What are the *values* in K90 and L90? I note that K90 can often have text, not numbers! As may 'Master!L90'. What do...

Show open work orders on large screen in shop
I have a customer request that may sound sort of unusual. I am having trouble coming up with words for it so that I can even do a search for a solution! It's not that complex, but I don't know the "right words" to search for a solution. I am working on an Access 2KDB for a manufacturing company. One division does onsite repair. They have multiple crews that are dispatched to various sites to perform the repairs. Currently they use a whiteboard to update status of the jobs. The Access DB has a "Jobs in Work" screen that displays all of the key information that the w...

How to insert pdf files into Excel work book.
Is it possible to insert pdf files into an Excel workbook? I've done it in the past but can't remember now -- possibly as a metafile. Have a look at the discussion of importing pdf files to Excel at this google search result. http://snipurl.com/cfd6 Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 08:53:04 -0800, "rowboat" <rowboat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is it possible to insert pdf files into an Excel workbook? > >I've done it in the past but can't remember now -- possibly as a metafile. ...

Journal Stopped Working
I have been using Journal successfully -but now it has stopped working- I have checked all the settings and they are switched on to automatically record work, excel etc. I have archived the old entries - but this did not do anything. OL2000 - using sync with PocketPC (but I was before as well) Windows NT ...

Outlook, email address field, email forward does not work
This problem is very hard to explain. I have a friend, she has a small business and has a website. She is using an offshoot of that website hosting service to forward email to her home email address which is on Comcast. Lets say her site is www.services.com. She has the forwarding service setup to forward name@services.com and info@services.com to her home email on comcast, hername@comcast.net. By the way, there are two other forwards setup on the forwarding site, both of them are to a webmail email, one is a yahoo email and the other is a gmail account and they both work fine. Her forwared...