VALUES ARE DIFFERENT THAN CALCULATOR

I am figuring my payroll on an Excel spreadsheet.  When I enter the formulas,
the values are sometimes off by a penny.  On my calculator, I have it set to
5/4.  How do I get my formulas to come out the same as the calculator?
0
jaime1 (22)

Look in help for the ROUND function

Also see link for discussion of rounding issues

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/rounding.htm

"Jaime" wrote:

> I am figuring my payroll on an Excel spreadsheet.  When I enter the formulas,
> the values are sometimes off by a penny.  On my calculator, I have it set to
> 5/4.  How do I get my formulas to come out the same as the calculator?
0
jmb (270)
10/13/2005 1:24:01 AM
From what I read, it pretty much said that the computer can't fix it.  I did
change my spreadsheet to precision as displayed, though, so that will at
least help when I add everything up.  As far as using the ROUND function, I
don't think that will help, because I'm just using two decimals and it
automatically does that, right?

"JMB" wrote:

> Look in help for the ROUND function
>
> Also see link for discussion of rounding issues
>
> http://www.cpearson.com/excel/rounding.htm
>

> "Jaime" wrote:
>
> > I am figuring my payroll on an Excel spreadsheet.  When I enter the formulas,
> > the values are sometimes off by a penny.  On my calculator, I have it set to
> > 5/4.  How do I get my formulas to come out the same as the calculator?
0
jaime1 (22)
10/13/2005 1:48:01 AM
"I'm just using two decimals and it  automatically does that, right?"
Not really. It displays whatever you've set it as but still retains the decimal places.

As "JMB" suggested-you want to use the Round function to ensure accuracy.

--
Regards;
Rob

NotLikely (282)
10/13/2005 2:08:06 AM
Jaime wrote:
> From what I read, it pretty much said that the computer can't fix it.  I did
> change my spreadsheet to precision as displayed, though, so that will at
> least help when I add everything up.  As far as using the ROUND function, I
> don't think that will help, because I'm just using two decimals and it
> automatically does that, right?
>
> "JMB" wrote:
>
>> Look in help for the ROUND function
>>
>> Also see link for discussion of rounding issues
>>
>> http://www.cpearson.com/excel/rounding.htm
>>

>> "Jaime" wrote:
>>
>>> I am figuring my payroll on an Excel spreadsheet.  When I enter the formulas,
>>> the values are sometimes off by a penny.  On my calculator, I have it set to
>>> 5/4.  How do I get my formulas to come out the same as the calculator?

It "displays" 2 digits. The underlying value may be more. So when you
perform calculations it uses the underlying value then rounds to display 2
digits. You need to round the values first, as suggested, then perform the
calculation.

gls858
0
gls858 (460)