Utilizing the Print Preview without using a printer

How can I use the Print Preview function and make any necessary changes to my
worksheet?..I currently do not have a printer installed, but would still like
to be able to have access to the Print Preview functions before I actually
print my worksheet.
0
Uneeky (4)

Just install *any* print driver that might be resident on your system, and
XL will then enable the "PrintPreview" feature, even though no actual
printer is present.
--
HTH,

RD

"Uneeky" <Uneeky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How can I use the Print Preview function and make any necessary changes to
my
> worksheet?..I currently do not have a printer installed, but would still
like
> to be able to have access to the Print Preview functions before I actually
> print my worksheet.

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
6/6/2005 6:55:13 PM
Unfortunately, when I clicked on 'add printer', Windows XP Wizard does not
give me the option to choose *any* printer.  I went to my Control Panel to
try your suggestion
--
Excel Newbie

"RagDyer" wrote:

> Just install *any* print driver that might be resident on your system, and
> XL will then enable the "PrintPreview" feature, even though no actual
> printer is present.
> --
> HTH,
>
> RD
>
> "Uneeky" <Uneeky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > How can I use the Print Preview function and make any necessary changes to
> my
> > worksheet?..I currently do not have a printer installed, but would still
> like
> > to be able to have access to the Print Preview functions before I actually
> > print my worksheet.

0
Uneeky (4)
6/6/2005 8:06:03 PM
Did you install the printer in windows?

--
Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

(No private emails please)

> Unfortunately, when I clicked on 'add printer', Windows XP Wizard does not
> give me the option to choose *any* printer.  I went to my Control Panel to
> try your suggestion
> --
> Excel Newbie
>

> "RagDyer" wrote:
>
>> Just install *any* print driver that might be resident on your system,
>> and
>> XL will then enable the "PrintPreview" feature, even though no actual
>> printer is present.
>> --
>> HTH,
>>
>> RD
>> Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit!
>>
>> "Uneeky" <Uneeky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > How can I use the Print Preview function and make any necessary changes
>> my
>> > worksheet?..I currently do not have a printer installed, but would
>> > still
>> like
>> > to be able to have access to the Print Preview functions before I
>> > actually
>> > print my worksheet.

0
terre081 (3244)
6/6/2005 8:14:37 PM
No, I didnt install anything.  I figured if I clicked on *any* printer,
Wizard would 'install' the printer for me...Windows Wizard is asking for the
make and model number of my printer.  I want to access the Print Preview
without installing anything, if thats possible.
--
Excel Newbie

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

> Did you install the printer in windows?
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Peo Sjoblom
>
> (No private emails please)
>

> "Uneeky" <Uneeky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Unfortunately, when I clicked on 'add printer', Windows XP Wizard does not
> > give me the option to choose *any* printer.  I went to my Control Panel to
> > try your suggestion
> > --
> > Excel Newbie
> >

> > "RagDyer" wrote:
> >
> >> Just install *any* print driver that might be resident on your system,
> >> and
> >> XL will then enable the "PrintPreview" feature, even though no actual
> >> printer is present.
> >> --
> >> HTH,
> >>
> >> RD
> >> ==============================================
> >> Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit!
> >> ==============================================
> >>
> >> "Uneeky" <Uneeky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> my
> >> like

0
Uneeky (4)
6/6/2005 8:24:03 PM
Even if you could do this, how would it help?  The layout, margins,
etc. may be totally different with the printer that eventually you use.

XL has something called a 'page break preview.'  I don't know if it
works without a printer installed, but you could try it.  Check View |
Page Break Preview

--
Regards,

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article <6223BA1D-93C3-4EC5-85B2-E9B1D6D24F57@microsoft.com>,
Uneeky@discussions.microsoft.com says...

Uneeky wrote:
> No, I didnt install anything.  I figured if I clicked on *any* printer,
> Wizard would 'install' the printer for me...Windows Wizard is asking for the
> make and model number of my printer.  I want to access the Print Preview
> without installing anything, if thats possible.
Without a printer installed Windows has no parameters to go by for the
display. Just pick a common printer, maybe a HP Laserjet, and install
it. Windows can then use those parameters to display the sheet. Later
if you get a printer you can simply remove this one.

gls858
0
gls858 (460)
6/6/2005 9:28:56 PM
This time, I chose an Epson printer, and 'installed' it (no actual printer
was installed with a cable to my pc). I then opened my worksheet and I was
finally able to click on Print Preview...so yes....it worked !...   Prior to
doing this, I tried the page break function, and even though I could click on
this option, no page breaks were given to the worksheet, so yes, the printer
had to be installed first.
Thank you all for your help and suggestions !!

--
Excel Newbie

"Tushar Mehta" wrote:

> Even if you could do this, how would it help?  The layout, margins,
> etc. may be totally different with the printer that eventually you use.
>
> XL has something called a 'page break preview.'  I don't know if it
> works without a printer installed, but you could try it.  Check View |
> Page Break Preview
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Tushar Mehta
> www.tushar-mehta.com
> Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials
> Custom MS Office productivity solutions
>
> In article <6223BA1D-93C3-4EC5-85B2-E9B1D6D24F57@microsoft.com>,
> Uneeky@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> > How can I use the Print Preview function and make any necessary changes to my
> > worksheet?..I currently do not have a printer installed, but would still like
> > to be able to have access to the Print Preview functions before I actually
> > print my worksheet.

0
Uneeky (4)
6/6/2005 10:39:22 PM
For testing customers printers I have several printers installed. Just goto
windows and add any printer you like by going thru the menu. Then use that
printer for your print preview. Otherwise NO go.

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
"Uneeky" <Uneeky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How can I use the Print Preview function and make any necessary changes to
my
> worksheet?..I currently do not have a printer installed, but would still
like
> to be able to have access to the Print Preview functions before I actually
> print my worksheet.

0
Don
6/6/2005 10:42:34 PM
Thanks for the feed-back.

Although, it does get exasperating at times, when folks ask for help because
they don't know something, and then, they don't take, or even try, the
advice that they asked for.

You did at least finally try though.<bg>
--
Regards,

> This time, I chose an Epson printer, and 'installed' it (no actual printer
> was installed with a cable to my pc). I then opened my worksheet and I was
> finally able to click on Print Preview...so yes....it worked !...   Prior
> doing this, I tried the page break function, and even though I could click
on
> this option, no page breaks were given to the worksheet, so yes, the
printer
> had to be installed first.
> Thank you all for your help and suggestions !!
>
> --
> Excel Newbie
>

> "Tushar Mehta" wrote:
>
> > Even if you could do this, how would it help?  The layout, margins,
> > etc. may be totally different with the printer that eventually you use.
> >
> > XL has something called a 'page break preview.'  I don't know if it
> > works without a printer installed, but you could try it.  Check View |
> > Page Break Preview
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Tushar Mehta
> > www.tushar-mehta.com
> > Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials
> > Custom MS Office productivity solutions
> >
> > In article <6223BA1D-93C3-4EC5-85B2-E9B1D6D24F57@microsoft.com>,
> > Uneeky@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> > > How can I use the Print Preview function and make any necessary
changes to my
> > > worksheet?..I currently do not have a printer installed, but would
still like
> > > to be able to have access to the Print Preview functions before I
actually
> > > print my worksheet.

0
ragdyer1 (4060)

publisher using wrong email client how to change default?
Ok - MS Pub 2007 is trying to send through windows mail I have switched to Windows Live mail. How do I tell publisher to use windows live mail and not windows mail? Robin1only wrote: > Ok - MS Pub 2007 is trying to send through windows mail I have > switched to Windows Live mail. How do I tell publisher to use > windows live mail and not windows mail? =================================== Have a look at the following articles: Windows Vista - Setting the Default Email Client http://tinyurl.com/2ygtyt or... http://freeemailtutorials.com/microsoftWindows/setDefaultEmailClientOnWi...

HELP: Need macro for excel to get data from server database and use results to populate an Access Database
Hi all, Is there a quick way to do a query on an SQL Server database and have the output put direct into an Access Database? I know how to do it by grabbing the records and then inserting each result one by one, but this takes forever to complete and I am after a quick solution, if it exists. Is anybody able to assist ? is it possible? Thanks in advance for any help! Regards Clint you could link to the SQL Server table(s) from Access, write a SELECT query to pull the records you want, and then turn the query into either an Append query to add the data to a native table in the Acces...

Custom Window Styles
I've created a custom control and would like to add some optional custom window styles. I can't seem to find any documentation that states what bits in the style DWORD (SetStyle(),GetStyle) are free to use. Does anyone happen to know where I can find this info? Thanks, Jeff "Jeff" <mullins.j@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1139249990.467796.102030@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com... > I've created a custom control and would like to add some optional > custom window styles. I can't seem to find any documentation that > states what bits in the style D...

creating xsd schema using database table details!!!!!!
Hi All, I have to create an xsd schema using table details as a input. Here I have table details and now I want to create an xml schema file from it. Please do let me know whether it is possible or not? Thanks in advanced, Deepak Still no reply..... :( -Deepak "deepakbadki" <deepak_badki@persistent.co.in> wrote in message news:udolhVCEGHA.916@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hi All, > > I have to create an xsd schema using table details as a input. Here I have > table details and now I want to create an xml schema file from it. Please > do let me know wheth...

How do you write 2 lines of text in 1 cell rather than use 2 cells
I am using Excel 98 and want to know how to get 2 lines of text in 1 cell rather than space it out over 2 cells. See below for example if you dont get it..... This is what (cell no.1) I mean. (cell no. 2) I want to be (cell no.1) able to do this. (cell no.1) Please help.....thanks Type part, then Alt-Enter, then the rest. -- HTH Bob Phillips "!!!help!!!" <!!!help!!!@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:33CF64B2-E51F-4E8F-9680-1B495146C134@microsoft.com... > I am using Excel 98 and want to know how to get 2 ...

MSPub. is printing "Side 1 name" on a label, how do I stop this?
MS Publisher 2003 is automatically incerting (when you print the label) "side 1 Performer's Name" on a cassette label. This lable has not been modify and prints perfectly in Pub98. The above statement is not found anywhere on the label itself or in the background. How frustrating! What are you using as a template? Is this text statement already on the template? Is this statement the name of the field in your database? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "audioplus" <audioplus@discussions.mi...

Avoid Printing Inactive Customers
We have Inactivated customers and zero balance active customers. We don't want the Inactives printing on the A/R Aging Report but we do want the zero balance actives to print. How do we do that please? Sandy, You can put an identifier in one of the fields that the aged trial balance will filter by that you are not using for anything else. The most common ones are user-defined 1 and short name. Since these customers are inactive, there probably isn't much of a problem changing one of these fields. And if you're talking about a lot of customers, you can run a SQL script to...

tab names are wrong when printing custom footers (using [&tab] )
I am printing alot of charts for one spreadsheet that contains many tabs. I would like each page printed to have the name of the tab, so I did the following: clicked -page setup, -header/footer --Custom Footer, i clicked on "& [Tab]" for the name of the tab to be printed on the footer for that page. I get additional (incorrect) information after the tab name. Is there a way to correct this other than manually keying in the name of the each tab into the custom footer section? Try using Excel's Detect and Repair feature under the Help menu. It sounds as ...

newfish's question:HOW TO make a sniffer using winsocket in vc++6.0 ?
Hey all, I need a sample about sniffer .any one could help me? please...~~ What do you mean by "a sniffer"? I have an idea what this kind of program does so perhaps it's more appropriate to ask what you are trying to sniff? Tom "feizx" <feizx@126.com> wrote in message news:uve3p3xjHHA.1776@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Hey all, > I need a sample about sniffer .any one could help me? please...~~ > WireShark (formerly known as Ethereal) is an open source packet sniffer. Start there. joe On Sat, 5 May 2007 22:01:41 +0800, "feizx" <...

Use of SSL with Exchange 2003 webmail...
Are there any reasons why you would keep regular access to webmail open and not force people to use SSL? -Dewser Not if you are interested in security at all :-) -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP "Dewser" <triban@dewser.com> wrote in message news:1107184644.642571.172450@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > Are there any reasons why you would keep regular access to webmail open > and not force people to use SSL? > > -Dewser > No. ====== P.S. I pretend to get a special prize for the shortest answer in this newsgroup :) "Dewser" <triban@dewser.c...

Using Edit->Links->startup prompt
My workbook has a vlookup to an external file. I want to skip the user prompt when opening the file so that the update happens automatically. I expected this to be controlled by the setting in Edit->Links->Startup Prompt. But this setting is being ignored. The only setting that is working is in Tools->Options->Edit->Ask to update automatic links. But this setting would affect all files, which I don't want. So how do I utilize the feature Edit->Links->Startup Prompt?? This is one of those settings that the end user has more control over than the developer. If ...

Replying to emails sent to Public folders using OWA
Environment: Windows 2003 / Exchange 2003 I have created mail-enabled public folders that outside users send mail to using the folders email address. When I use OWA to view these emails, they show up as postings and I can only "POST" a reply, not reply back to the sender directly. I don't see a tool button or anything to allow me to do this in the OWA interface. Also, I would like to know if OWA has a FROM field so I can reply back to user's as the folders email address. Is any of this possible using OWA or is it that limited? Let me know. Thank. philmaz@optonline.net ...

Can we use the datediff function and put the answer in a cell?
what we want to do is return the difference of this function into a cell in a table, can we do it? On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 11:34:01 -0800, timmone <timmone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Yes, but you shouldn't. Because that would violate an important relational database design principle that says "no calculated fields in the database". Rather you would calculate the value on the fly in a query: select DateDiff("d", myStartDate, myEndDate) as DaysBetween from myTable -Tom. Microsoft Access MVP >what we want to do is return the difference o...

App hanging
I have an app which is making rapid use of (multithreaded) MySQL inserts/selects. Even though I put almost all of the data processing into a worker thread (apart from the main GUI - an MDI app), I enter situations into which the enter application seems to just lock up - and it greatly slows down my entire computer. Eventually, I can open up Task Manager and see that my app is taking up almost 100% CPU. This is despite the fact that I have the worker thread set to THREAD_PRIORITY_LOWEST. My thought now was to look into a code profiler that would tell me where my code is seemingly stuck in f...

Printing Report 04-23-07
HELP!! I currently have a query that has that has [Please enter case number] in the criteria section. When i want to print a report from an open form, i would like the "Case number" entered automaticly from the open formed field "Case Number" so the user doesnt have to enter the case number for the report. -- Kevin Sebring Atlanta Georgia Rather than prompting for the case number, add a combo or text field to your form. Let the user select the case number or type it in the form. Then change the report's RecordSource query to reference the form field rath...

Using IF & AND command in conjunction
I have a sales incentive grid with tenure of loan on one axis & loan size on another axis. For e.g., for a loan size between $6000 to $9999 at a tenor of 24 months, teh incentive payable is $24 whereas for a loan size between $10000 to &19999 at a tenor of 36 months, the incentive payable is $65. There are a total of 7 loan bands on one axis and 5 tenor bands on the other axis. How do i create a formula so that excel picks the correct incentive amount depending upon the loan amount and tenor combination. Its so confusing. Pls help.. =INDEX(B2:M20,MATCH(tenure,A2:A20,0),MATCH(l...

Configuring Exchange SBS to use smart host
I've been having a hard time emailing a few domains from my network and one of the remote domains admins told me that they don't accept mail from private organizations hosting their own email and that I should use my ISP's smtp server. 2 questions: 1. How does the remote domain know that I'm a private company hosting my own email? 2. How do I configure to use a smart host (I have the fqdn of the smtp server) with the use of a username and password for outbound? (I suppose I use the same credentials that I used like when we used a pop client). thanks. Hi .. 1) Have no...

Publisher 2003 newsletter to pdf using pdf995
Anyone used PDF995 to convert a Publisher newsletter from ..pub to .pdf format? I don't know either program and I know I'm doing something stupid but I can't get from the xxxx.pub to the xxxx.pdf format using the PDF995 free program. I can open the xxxx.pub file in Publisher and it looks fine. How do I get or what do I select to print to the PDF995 printer? When I try to save as, yyyy.pdf.... a yyyy.pdf.pub file is created. Is there a newsgroup or anywhere out on the web that explains how this works? I've tried to send email to the pdf995 support people but am not gettin...

use pull down menu to select a picture
I use the Combo Box pull down menu buttons a lot. I click on the Box, select an item from the list and the relevant data pops up as expected. How can I make a picture pop up when I select an item from the Combo Box List? please advise use Eccel 2003 Hi Skonnoth, See if you can pass this code to your combo box to activate the form and pictures pop up. http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=46010&lngWId=1 "Skonnoth" wrote: > I use the Combo Box pull down menu buttons a lot. > I click on the Box, select an item from the list and the re...

Conditional Printer Selection
I have a report that I would like to print to the default printer if it is less than 5 pages, or to a network printer if it is more than 5 pages (or so many records in the record source). Access 2003 Jack "Powderfinger" <PFinger@msn.com> wrote in message news:ct-dnTzc9cjM_q_bnZ2dnUVZ_syunZ2d@comcast.com... >I have a report that I would like to print to the default printer if it is > less than 5 pages, or to a network printer if it is more than 5 pages (or > so > many records in the record source). > Access 2003 I think a solution here would be to simply &q...

Can't Print Worksheet to a One-Page PDF Document
I'm running Excel 2007 and Adobe Acrobat 8.0. I can't print a worksheet to a one-page PDF document. The PDF maker breaks off one end and prints it as a second page. If I try to print to a PDF with a landscape setting, the PDF printer breaks off the bottom and prints it as a second page. Is there a way of getting the worksheet onto a one-page PDF file? maybe download and install 2007 Microsoft Office Add-in: Microsoft Save as PDF or XPS http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=4D951911-3E7E-4AE6-B059-A2E79ED87041&displaylang=en Robert Lee wrote: > I...

Printing ?
Ive seen spreadsheet where you can click your mouse on a 'Button' on th spreadsheet and it will print out a range of worksheets/pages etc. Id like to set this up on my Budgets, is it a Visual Basic thing ? Ho do you do it ? Have I posted this in the right area ? Cheers -- Ainsle ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Ainsley's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3196 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=51965 Just use your macro recorder, sometimes there is fine tuning that ...

print Grid Lines
when i try to print grid lines they dont print, i have tried to look at "format cell" then boarders and selected inside with a solid black line. i have also checked the "page setup" and the "sheet tab" and chedked "grid lines" but i still cannot print grid lines. will some one please help me. >-----Original Message----- >when i try to print grid lines they dont print, i have >tried to look at "format cell" then boarders and selected >inside with a solid black line. i have also checked >the "page setup" and th...

Local and Domain accts. using the Same Outlook
I need for my local user acct and my domain user acct to be able to use the same outlook. whenever i make a change in one or the other they both need to be updated. Is there anyway to do this. This post might come out 2x. Sorry!! ...

Excel charts do not update when using SendKeys
I apologize in advance, because i know there are a lot of similar posts. None, as far as i can tell , have a definitive answer as to how this was fixed. I have written and addin with a number of custom formulas. A client has a spreadsheet that gets data from these formulas, performs simple calculations on it (like determines a percentage) and uses a range of these values to populate a chart. When i recalculate the spreadsheet, all the formulas are recalculated (I use xlc SendKeys CNTRL-ALT-F9) to calculate the data. However the graph/chart is not refreshed. I believe this is an Excel bug be...