using linear / non linear graphs to extract results

Hi,

A frequent function of my job is to analyse data on graphs/charts to extract
data for engineering data , i.e power / temperature/flowrates etc etc

Is the a microsoft based programe i.e. Excel/Access that is capable of
understanding data on a scaled X-Y axis that if an X value was entered in a
cell, the programme would extract a corresponding Y value from a line on a
graph ?
If anyone has any woring examples of such a thing, I'd appreciate a link

Thx

0
Ebodski

Hi,
If there is a linear relationship between X and Y use the function FORECAST
It a power series is needed use LINEST - see example at
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ExcelTips
For exponential curves use LOGEST

Give us more data and we can give you more help.
Best wishes

Bernard

"Ebodski" <jarvis@{spamless}fsmail.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> A frequent function of my job is to analyse data on graphs/charts to
extract
> data for engineering data , i.e power / temperature/flowrates etc etc
>
> Is the a microsoft based programe i.e. Excel/Access that is capable of
> understanding data on a scaled X-Y axis that if an X value was entered in
> cell, the programme would extract a corresponding Y value from a line on a
> graph ?
> If anyone has any woring examples of such a thing, I'd appreciate a link
>
> Thx

0
bliengme1 (122)

Can we use group policy templates for Outlook client options
Hi there, We are looking to automate the CRM outlook client settings so we don't have to manually change them for each user. Is there any way we can do this through group policy or another way? It would be handy if we had a list of registry settings that we could use? Thanks ...

Unable to use Word as email editor with outlook 2003 and exchange server
I am Unable to use Word as email editor with outlook 2003 and exchange server. Does anyone have a reason for this and/or a work-around so that I can use MS Word as the email editor. I have reviewed the knowledge base and cannot find a solution. Please help. Thanks, HR HR <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I am Unable to use Word as email editor with outlook 2003 > and exchange server. Define "unable". What happens when you try. What version of Word? -- Brian Tillman ...

Question about easy qualitative graph
Here's what we want to graph. Categories are snowfall, snowpack, temperature, and precipitation. We want these to be on the y axis. Values are above, normal, below. We want these to be on the x axis with them going from left to right (below, normal, above) with space to the left of "below". Snowfall=above, snowpack=above, temperature=below, precipitation=normal. This sounds very easy, but not sure how to plot this without using numbers, which we aren't using. Thanks for your time, S On Mar 22, 10:19=A0pm, shadrack <shadke...@hotmail.com> wrote: > Here's what ...

How can I put text in a circle using Publisher ?
Have looked everywhere for an answer to this ? : How can I put text in a circle while using Publisher ? If I want to surround a shape or piece of clipart with words, I often need to have text in a circular or oval shape ........ surely this can be done with Publisher. Thanks for any expertise. DixieWins wrote: > Have looked everywhere for an answer to this ? : How > can I put text in a circle while using Publisher ? > > If I want to surround a shape or piece of clipart with > words, I often need to have text in a circular or oval > shape ........ surely this can be ...

Use Data from one sheet to populate Purchase Order on another sheet -Excel 2002
Hello, Wonder if this is possible.. Sheet1 - has a 'list' of parts that need to be ordered - their description, qty, type of material, part number etc Sheet2 - I want to create a requisition from those items listed on Sheet1 based on type of material... Basically need to take the data from Sheet 1 (can be 50 - 200 items/parts) keyed in by designers and create a purchase order requisition for our vendors/suppliers based on the type of material. Is there a way to extract.. say. material is H20.. and of them 50 items keyed in.. 10 of them are H20.. so that I can fill in the qty, descr...

lost graph after convert PDF
I have used Words 2007 to convert to PDF for years and have not problem at all. However, in the last few days, all the graphs in the document are lost after convert into PDF. not knowing why. anyone can help? greatly appreciated. sand Hi, Is your graph connected to a spreadsheet in excel? Make sure that your graph is using values from your Word Document(it may fix the problem). On the other hand, you can try copying and pasting the image onto paint and export it to word as an image(this will be a temporary easy fix but it will do the job if you are on a deadline). Hop...

Using the mail merge function from excell
Is there a way of using the mail merge function in word to set up a three column format of names and addresses. I need to do this without using the "label" format - as I need it in word domument format in order to be able to add and make changes in word. Thanks Sheila You may want to look into storing your data in excel (already has nice columns and rows) and using MSWord's builtin MailMerge to create the labels. You may want to read some tips for mailmerge: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge The first is from Davi...

how to use TrackPopupMenu last parameter
Hi, I need to make a menu that does not disappear. (Odd, yes. I need to let users edit menu resources at runtime and would like to display the menus as how they would actually look.) So I'm looking at CMenu's TrackPopupMenu function, whose last parameter is LPCRECT lpRect. I figure if I set this rectangle to be (0, 0, screen width, screen height), then even if the user clicks elsewhere on the screen, the menu won't disappear, right? I tried the following code and the menu still disappears when I randomly click elsewhere in the application. What am I doing wrong? void CMenuVi...

Viewing OWA using the Outlook Full Client Browser
I just tried to access my corporate email account using OWA from within the Outlook full client running on my personal machine. I find it quite funny that OWA serves up its non-IE version when displayed using browser built into Outlook. Not really considering Outlook is running in a much higher security configuration than Internet Explorer and has a lot of features disabled. Just curious; why are you accessing the OWA website via Outlook? Ask your email admin if they also offer direct access to the corporate email servers via Outlook Anywhere (RPC over HTTP). -- Robe...

Are user certs broken when used on a front end server?
Does a front end exchange 2003 SP2 server support requiring a user certificate? On the back end server requiring user certs works fine (but breaks Treo syncing). I therefore set up a front end server and two virtual servers (one just SSL for treos and the other for Outlook Web Access). If I require a cert on the front end virtual directory I want to use for Outlook Web Access and try it, IE presents a blank box for the user certificate (when it should present one of the installed user certificates). If the backend is configured the same way and a client connects, their user certs are display...

word freezes periodically when i am tracking changes, using endnote and inserting pictures from file
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel word freezes periodically when i am tracking changes and using endnote and when i am inserting pictures from file. i seem to have no other options but force quit then i get lots of recovered documents. i am doing doctoral study so my documents have endnote field notes and changes highlighted. <br><br>inserting pictures from file into a word document causes instant hanging. Judging from the array of causes you're listing I believe there may be several things that need to be addressed. Sinc...

can I use Publisher to set up signatures of 8 pages?
I neeed to print and bind a book. I can't find any way to set up and print in sgnatures of 8 or so pages. I seem to be limited to 4 page bookfold. Any ideas? Insert, page -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "traveller" <traveller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9FD3B5CB-8D56-49DE-B632-06617A54EBE7@microsoft.com... >I neeed to print and bind a book. I can't find any way to set up and print in > sgnatures of 8 or so pages. I seem to be limited to 4 page bookfold. Any > idea...

non owner adding attendees to an activity hangs calendar
Any time we have a non owner of an activity adding a contact as a required or as an optional attendee to an activity in CRM, the calendar and the service calendar both hang - not just for that user, but for the entire organization, until an issreset is performed. Also an error pops up with a generic database fault message, not very descriptive. Previous attempts at stopping/restarting services resulted in hanging services. This seems like a software bug - unhandled permissions error or something maybe? Any thought or ideas are welcome on what we should do to get this issue resolved....

Open New Visio Drawing using VBA in Word?
Hi, We're creating new Word 2007 templates, and some of them require flowchart functionality from Visio. Our goal is to create a macro within the Word template to call Visio, open a new drawing and have a custom stencil set open for users to use. Users would then open create their flowchart/diagram in Visio, and it would update automatically into the Word template when Visio is closed. I'm using the following code to start Visio, however I'm stuck on where to go from there: Sub Visio() Shell "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\VISIO.exe", vbN...

Changing bar graph colours according to value
Is there any way to have the colours of the bars in a bar graph change according to value? Hi, Have a look at Jon's example. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ConditionalChart1.html Cheers Andy nikki8327 wrote: > Is there any way to have the colours of the bars in a bar graph change > according to value? -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

Data Validation Lists
I have been searching the web all day, and I am not sure how to approach this problem. Here is a basic worksheet: ID Name Serial # 1 Joe ck9033n2389d 2 Joe 349-283fjrjh55 3 Bob c90320j34n5kjdf 4 Joe kgho95injhs 5 Bob 2353gdf745 Step 1: I have a drop down list with only one instance of each of the "Name" variable. Step 2: Upon selecting that name, I would like another drop down box with all the serial numbers associated with that person. Step 3: Then, based on the serial number, display stats in the same row for that i...

(MFC) How to use messages to communicate between CMDIFrameWnd and CScrollView?
Alright, so I tried to use AfxGetMainWnd() from inside a CScrollView-derived class to access a function inside of a CMDIFrameWnd-derived class. It worked under the "Debug" configuration, but I'm getting a nasty error under the "Release" configuration: Coil error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: void __thiscall CMainFrame::setCurrRef(class ATL::CStringT<char,class StrTraitMFC<char,class ATL::ChTraitsCRT<char> > >)" (?setCurrRef@CMainFrame@@QAEXV?$CStringT@DV?$StrTraitMFC@DV?$ChTraitsCRT@D@ATL@@@@@ATL@@@Z) referenced in function &...

After retreiving from back up, I cannot use the button send and re
Note the subject. I just recovered my PC. I get all my files from back-up and was plesantly surpriced that even my accounts where filled in. But it looks like there's something wrong with Windows mail since I cant use the button sent and recieve anymore. I can use the button for each account separately and for sent or recieve but not the combibutton thats in the menu. Does someone have a sollution to this problem?? Karin "Muisje70" <Muisje70@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BEAE122D-2D48-40DE-B6E4-B472D81031C9@microsoft.com... > Not...

Need to format text in header, but value is generated using VBA
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C6360C.2372C770 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello, I wanted to reference a cell value in my spreadsheet header and found = out how to do that using this function: Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean) Dim WS As Worksheet For Each WS In Worksheets ActiveSheet.PageSetup.RightHeader =3D _ Format(Worksheets("Time Period Info").Range("B3").Value) =20 Next WS End Sub However, this leaves my text for ...

Can't e-mail from Word 2000 using Outlook 2002/XP
After "upgrading" Outlook 2000 SP-1 to Outlook 2002, I can't create a Word letter from within Outlook or send a file to a recipient from within Word. When I try to create a letter from within Outlook, I get the error "To use this feature you must install the version of Microsoft Word that matches the installed version of Microsoft Outlook". I've tried The Outlook 2002 "repair", and even uninstalled it and re-installed Outlook 2000 SP-1. In that configuration, the software worked fine. But when I "upgraded" again to Outlook 2002, it was br...

Getting info from the last used cell
Currently I am adding many sheets together. I am using "Start Sheet" and "End Sheet" and everything in between those two sheets is adding for a total. I would (in a few cells) to just get the data from the last cell used. Example: The sheets I am adding are dates and if sheet 01-19-09 (dd-mm-yy) has the last entry in cell c18 I would like that number. However there may be blank cell before that sheet. and after that sheet there will be info in other cells. I would like that info to go into c18 of the sheet I use and named "Totals". -- Ed Davis ...

Can I use Windows XP Home for Commercial ?
i would need to clarify on this matter whether can we use Windows XP Home edition for a commercial ? is it legal ? a lot of people told me that it is okay using Windows XP Home for commercial but it just that we cannot fully utilize the feature of the Windows i.e. joined domain ...etc I also cannot find anything in Windows XP Home EULA that the Home edition is only for NON-Commercial use. Can anyone clarify this to me ? Jim wrote: > i would need to clarify on this matter whether can we use Windows > XP Home edition for a commercial ? is it legal ? a lot of people > told ...

Can I use MFC classes in a piecewise fashion
I am making a DirectX-based 3D game. There is virtually no windows stuf apart from setup so switching to MFC completely seems pointless. However some of the MFC classes (mainly CString) are useful, can I use these without linking the MFC dll? Or if there is a standard string class elsewhere which is as useful that would do - does the STL include this? It is a lot easier in VS7 than in VS6; MFC has been split up a bit better. Otherwise, the STL std::string is what you would use. joe On Thu, 20 May 2004 01:36:02 -0700, d000hg <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am ma...

Previously used/opened record
I would like to have a button to hit to get me to my previously opened/used record. Can anybody please oblige me with some code to achieve that? Thanks, RF. Define "previously"... No, seriously, until you can tell Access HOW to find the "previous" record, Access won't know what to do. By "previously opened/used" do you mean "most recently" (a single record) or ALL records that have been opened/used. If the latter, since when? If a record is only "opened" (?looked at but not changed?), does that count? What do yo...

How do you make the results of a concatenate permanent text?
I have two columns of text which I have concatenated but I need the results to be text not just the results. I have tried copying the column to another column - that doesn't work so.................. Did you try PasteSpecial Values? "Susan" <Susan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:343DF1BB-6AA7-4107-9BF6-FCFBA02F29C8@microsoft.com... > I have two columns of text which I have concatenated but I need the results > to be text not just the results. I have tried copying the column to another > column - that doesn't work so...............