use displayed value in calculation

quick question -

if I perform a simple calculation of =(a1+b1) in the m1 cell, and then
need to use that result in another calculation in the n1 cell
=(m1*3.14), why do I get a value of 0.00 returned?

michae

0
md.insua (5)

What values are in cells A1 and B1?
A small number, showing two decimal places, could display as 0.00

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
11/16/2005 1:55:13 PM
What is result in M1 cell?

Debra Dalgleish wrote:
> What values are in cells A1 and B1?
> A small number, showing two decimal places, could display as 0.00

the values in cells a1 and b1 are formatted ( hh:mm:ss ) time values.

0
md.insua (5)
11/16/2005 2:54:20 PM
Mladen_Dj wrote:
> What is result in M1 cell?

I hope I am answering your question properly.

the result found in the m1 cell is based on the equation =(b1-a1). the
a1, b1 and m1 cells are time formatted ( hh:mm:ss ).

if a1 = 08:00:00 and b1 = 08:23:37, the displayed value in m1 would be
00:23:37. my end goal is to covert this value to a decimal in the n1
cell ( =(m1*.017) which would provide 0.39729 or .40, as the cell is
formatted to two decimal places ).

0
md.insua (5)
11/16/2005 3:13:43 PM
Hi Michael

Time is stored in Excel as fractions of a day (24 hours).
Try =(B1-A1)*24
Format your cell as General, and you should get your expected result.

Regards

Roger Govier

michael wrote:
> Mladen_Dj wrote:
>
>>What is result in M1 cell?
>>

> I hope I am answering your question properly.
>
> the result found in the m1 cell is based on the equation =(b1-a1). the
> a1, b1 and m1 cells are time formatted ( hh:mm:ss ).
>
> if a1 = 08:00:00 and b1 = 08:23:37, the displayed value in m1 would be
> 00:23:37. my end goal is to covert this value to a decimal in the n1
> cell ( =(m1*.017) which would provide 0.39729 or .40, as the cell is
> formatted to two decimal places ).

0
roger1272 (620)
11/16/2005 3:27:31 PM
Roger Govier wrote:
> Hi Michael
>
> Time is stored in Excel as fractions of a day (24 hours).
> Try =(B1-A1)*24
> Format your cell as General, and you should get your expected result.
>
> Regards
>
> Roger Govier

Roger,

SWEET!!! thanks for the heads up. does exactly what I want ( after I
figured out how to apply the round() function to the value as well ).

onto some conditionals now.

michael

0
md.insua (5)
11/16/2005 4:01:46 PM
Mladen_Dj wrote:
> What is result in M1 cell?

the a1 and b1 cells are the beginning and ending time values that use
the hh:mm:ss format.

so a1 could read 08:00:00 and b1 could read 08:23:37. the value of the
m1 cell is determined using =(b1-a1) to display a formatted time value
of 00:23:37 in the m1 cell.

the n1 cell would be used to convert the m1 displayed value to a
decimal, =(m1*.017), which would then display 0.39729 or .40 as I have
the cell set to round up to two decimal places.

to which my asking for help as the value being displayed in the n1 cell
is 0.00.

michael

0
md.insua (5)
11/16/2005 4:01:59 PM
I am not sure where your expected result of 0.39729 comes from.  1.7% of  of
23 minutes and 37 seconds is about 24.09 seconds, or about 0.4015 minutes.

Roger's suggestion that 23 minutes and 37 seconds is 0.393611 of an hour is
close, but still not equal to your expected result.

Jerry

"michael" wrote:

> Mladen_Dj wrote:
> > What is result in M1 cell?
> >
> I hope I am answering your question properly.
>
> the result found in the m1 cell is based on the equation =(b1-a1). the
> a1, b1 and m1 cells are time formatted ( hh:mm:ss ).
>
> if a1 = 08:00:00 and b1 = 08:23:37, the displayed value in m1 would be
> 00:23:37. my end goal is to covert this value to a decimal in the n1
> cell ( =(m1*.017) which would provide 0.39729 or .40, as the cell is
> formatted to two decimal places ).

visual basic

Using mouse wheel in VB editor

Excel Opens Without Displaying Workbook

IsOutLookClient() returns wrong value

Use exchange from a trusted domain

Display of UML State Transition Event
Dear Group, I am attempting to use the UML Statechart with a couple of states and a transition between them. I select properties, Events, Change Event type, say, and can see ChangeEvent1 in the property window but... ....when I Ok back to the drawing the ChangeEvent1 is not displayed by the transition. I can enter actions in a similar way and they are displayed. How cna I get the event visible too in the drawing? Surely this is the most important aspect of a transition i.e. what caused it, regards, Colin Smith ...

How Use ShellExecute with a CMemFile

Date Calculation

Calculating totals
I have two columns on a worksheet: "Project Codes" and "Totals." I would like to have columns on another worksheet that will automatically total up the different project numbers "A,B,C,etc." How do I do that? Thanks in advance for your help, Technically Handicapped Enter a *unique* list of your "Project Codes", starting in A2 of Sheet2. In B2, enter this formula: =SUMIF(Sheet1!A:A,A2,Sheet1!B:B) And copy down as needed. -- HTH, RD ===================================================== Please keep all correspondence within the G...

Using INDIRECT within functions

Value is BLANK

Problem displaying expected results with CString
I am writing a MFC program to import data from a single table database into a normalized database with numerous tables. The first component opens a recordset object to the database and performs some basic tests on the field value, and the plan is to write the records out to a spreadsheet that fail to meet any of the criteria defined for the field. Along with writing out the record, I want to populate a comments field describing what failed. I have tried to implement this with a CString variable; I initialize it to a blank string each time a new record is examined, and then as each field is che...

CRM Email Displays Size=2>

How to use count for calls per hour

y value vs x
In an xy scatter plot one can choose the type of line connecting the data points (smooth, straight, etc.). Once this is done, Is there a simple way of determining the y value of graph for a specific x value without doing successive approximations with 0 shifts. I'd rather not purchase a graphing program just for this simple task. You could find an equation that fits the data (see trendline) best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "ralph" <ralph@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:284B39DE-20C6-40CB-AB60-39B...