updating concurrent data on a worksheet and adding new row

 Hi.
I would like to log dates and data (eg temp). I have several functions I am
doing on the row of data and wish to update daily and add a new entry while
shifting down the previous entry (the whole row) for some  delta comparisons.
I wish to log 365 days. I am a bit confused how to approach this and of the
right terms to use or search for and have come to you for some clues. I wish
to do all this in Excel without an external Database.
Thank you.
NB

Suppose your first row has labels like "Date", "Temperature", "Humidify",
etc
You can type the date into the A cells using format such as 20/Jan (it will
be stored as a serial number and you can reformatted it in seconds without
retying.
To learn more about dates in Excel visit these sites
http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqDat.html
http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqDat.html

Now you add each day's data at the bottom of the worksheet.
But whenever you wish you can use Data | Sort to get the newest data at the
top.

Alternatively, each day right click the second row hearer (the "2") and use
Insert Row. This will let you add data at the top each day.

Wonder if I have answered your query?
--
Bernard Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP
> Hi.
> I would like to log dates and data (eg temp). I have several functions I
> am
> doing on the row of data and wish to update daily and add a new entry
> while
> shifting down the previous entry (the whole row) for some  delta
> comparisons.
> I wish to log 365 days. I am a bit confused how to approach this and of
> the
> right terms to use or search for and have come to you for some clues. I
> wish
> to do all this in Excel without an external Database.
> Thank you.
> NB

0
Bernard
1/19/2010 7:28:33 PM
Hi Bernard
I have a three digit entry for each day of the week. Max entries of 1000.
1001 goes to the bit bucket. Nested formulas articulate the three digits for
19 results in 19 columns.
Update will enter the next sequential date at column A , but first will
shift everything down.. Column B is for the three digits. Some results will
be delta from the previous day's entry in the new row at 1.
I want the most recent at the top and oldest at the bottom not to exceed
1000 entries. So I need to find out if there is  way I can begin a new entry
with one keystroke to prompt me for the three digits while the whole mess
shifts down. I want to know how to enter at the TOP and not the bottom of the
sheet, that way it is easier for me to study trends, newest to oldest. I hope
to use some of this information on another sheet. This is an excel data sheet
with easy entry. I hope to update those other sheets too. Is there not a
shift down feature? I cannot find it. ,

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

> Suppose your first row has labels like "Date", "Temperature", "Humidify",
> etc
> You can type the date into the A cells using format such as 20/Jan (it will
> be stored as a serial number and you can reformatted it in seconds without
> retying.
> To learn more about dates in Excel visit these sites
> http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqDat.html
> http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqDat.html
>
> Now you add each day's data at the bottom of the worksheet.
> But whenever you wish you can use Data | Sort to get the newest data at the
> top.
>
> Alternatively, each day right click the second row hearer (the "2") and use
> Insert Row. This will let you add data at the top each day.
>
> Wonder if I have answered your query?
> --
> Bernard Liengme
> Microsoft Excel MVP
> http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme
> "Northern Bytes" <Northern Bytes @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:D02F4DAD-0F4B-47C6-874B-94BD2C98FD9E@microsoft.com...
> > Hi.
> > I would like to log dates and data (eg temp). I have several functions I
> > am
> > doing on the row of data and wish to update daily and add a new entry
> > while
> > shifting down the previous entry (the whole row) for some  delta
> > comparisons.
> > I wish to log 365 days. I am a bit confused how to approach this and of
> > the
> > right terms to use or search for and have come to you for some clues. I
> > wish
> > to do all this in Excel without an external Database.
> > Thank you.
> > NB
>
> .

"Application has failed to start..." error message with VS2005 on new machine
VC++ MFC Project working absolutely fine on one machine Installed Visual Studio on a new portable and copied the project and all the settings over, done a complete rebuild which worked fine but now get an error message "The application has failed to start becuase the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem" Have tried reinsalling (but I dont think this is relevant as I am working with VStudio) the message pops up a couple of times but then the program runs OK Does anyone know what this means and how to find out what is missin...

Money crashes when updating stock prices
Every now and then, when Money tries to update stock prices online, it just "hangs" and takes forever. If I click "Cancel", then Money would go "not responding", such that I have to shut it down. It's happening more and more often now, almost on a daily basis. I don't know if this has anything to do with Micrsoft's server supplying these stock price quotes. I am using Money 2002 Deluxe on a Windows 98 system. Is it really crashing or are you killing it??? Try waiting a REALLY OBSCENELY LONG time like a couple of hours. Money seems to have incredibly...

Office 2007 SP1 fails on Windows Update. Then Outlook 2007 won't w
Installed Win 7 Ultimate, McAfee VirusScan and then Office 2007 Ultimate on a clean hard-drive. All retail versions (from MSDN discs). All appearsto work OK. Then did a Windows Update and applied 39 important updates, including Office 2007 SP1. The Office 2007 SP1 install failed, and after that point, Outlook 2007 no longer works - it starts but won't let me do anything. Word 2007 seems to still be working. What to do? Should I be installing Office 2007 SP2 instead? Or.....???? Any errors associated with the failed install? TIP: Insert your Office 200...

Twist Data?...
Hi all... I've got the following in a dataset: 19 30 1200 FI FI 20030906 36 19 30 1324 FI FI 20030906 36 and I want the following result: 19 30 1200, 1324 FI FI 20030906 26 Any guess on how to do this? thanks much!... Hmmm... Not quite clear: The data is arranged in columns, I assume It looks as if both items in the same column are the same, you want just one item, otherwise the one in the top row first, then the one from the bottom row. But what about the last 36s that should yield 26? Typo? Does the dataset have more columns or more rows or both? And how big is it?...

Hiding empty rows and columns
Does anyone know the code for hiding all blank rows and columns in a worksheet. Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi try the following (adapted from: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/deleting.htm#DeleteBlankRows) Public Sub HideBlankRows() Dim R As Long Dim C As Range Dim Rng As Range On Error GoTo EndMacro Application.ScreenUpdating = False Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual If Selection.Rows.Count > 1 Then Set Rng = Selection Else Set Rng = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows End If For R = Rng.Rows.Count To 1 Step -1 If Application.WorksheetFuncti...

How to make a Add key disabled after adding one record unless
Hi, I have a form where I am adding records. There are two boxes where one has to put the lineitemnumber and another box where one has to put the description. Unless the above two boxes are filled in the Add command box need to be disabled. Now, the problem is after adding one record the Add button is enabled and I cannot disable it. I would appreciate any help to solve this. The error message is: The methos is not supported The following is the code: Private Sub cmdadd_Click() On Error GoTo Err_cmdadd_Click If (IsNull(Me.LineItemID) = True) Or (IsNull(Me.Description) = True) Then ...

merging 2 cells without losing data?

Transformation of data into columns

Data Validation List not showing

Add new record through Form view
I have a table which is linked to a form, i would like to have a command button which will add a new record to my table. On the click of command button it should view the last empty row of my table in a form. On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 11:11:01 -0800, Ranjith Kurian <RanjithKurian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a table which is linked to a form, i would like to have a command >button which will add a new record to my table. >On the click of command button it should view the last empty row of my table >in a form. The Click event should show [Event Proced...

Fill Down Excluding First Row
Greetings, I have a spreadsheet where the first row (1) consists of labels that describe the column located below each label. For example, I have calories, fat, carbs, etc. It is desirable to have some of these columns filled in automatically. For example one row might be "calories from fat," "calories from carbs," etc, and so I'm doing a "fill down" on those columns. Unfortunately, the fill downs are completing the columns with the labels. So I'm wondering if it's possible to: (a) Exclude the label row (row 1) from the fill down or, better yet;...

selected row count of list box
A2k Is there a way to get the selected row count of a list box dynamically as the user selects rows? Delphi has an event called "OnSelectionChanged" but Access is much more limited. I don't want the user to have to exit the list box or click a button or anything manual in order to see the # of rows he's selected. How can this be done? I know about "lstCusts.ItemsSelected.Count" but not sure what event to use it in to accomplish what I need. Thanks, Keith Never mind. I did this and it handles both mouse and keyboard selections: Private Sub lstCusts_AfterUpdat...

loan amortisatio chart not updating
Hi, I use MS Monet 2007 premium. I have created a loan amortisation account which breaks up my monthly instslment into pricipal and interest. The loan commencd from 7 October 2005 and is for a period of 5 years. The problem is that the loan account does ot show any loan instalments beyond 7 October 2006 (exactly 1 year after the commencement). Why is this happening. Why is the account not updating with instalments which have been debited to my account after 7 October 2007. Please help. Were you depending on downloaded transaction data for this account? Did the download link br...

Messenger emoticons
I have changed laptops and I did grab the old laptops custom emoticons folder (all in dt2 and id2 file endings.) But when i copy everything in the folder and add it to my new laptops custom emoticons folder... they get added (i.e. show up in the folder) but the images/gifs or names dont show up on the actual msn... *what gives*? Do I have to change the dt2 endings to gif or jpeg and go to "create" in msn for each of them to add them in? (I tried with one and it worked) Only problem is i have alot, like 203 dt2 files so changing the ending to .gif and adding each singu...

I added time update permisssion to my limited user acct. but it does not work. When I try, the time synchonization is greyed out. How can I get it to work. Thanks. On Apr 4, 12:33=A0pm, Mint <chocolatemint77...@yahoo.com> wrote: > I added time update permisssion to my limited user acct. but it does > not work. > When I try, the time synchonization is greyed out. > > How can I get it to work. > > Thanks. Is this Windows MCE SP2? What method did you use to add time update permission to your limited user account? Does your unlimited user accou...