update on printing?

i have a workbook that i have listed lots of values to link into other
spreadsheets.

i have lots of other spreadsheets with links pointing back to the other
spreadsheet.

when i try to print one of the individual (or more) spreadsheets i get a
message asking if i want to udpate or not.

i say 'yep update'.

the spreadsheet then opens changes all the 'saved' numbers or text to an
error 'NAME' and prints that instead of updating tthe file and printing the
correct numbers.

how do i fix this so it will do the update, then print.

hopefully without having to open each individual spreedsheet (40+) of them.

thanks.

jim

0
jim2690 (10)

Could be that your link updating is performing correctly and the problem is
actually with corrupt data.........or some of the links might be
bad...........I would suggest that with links to that many files, that I
would embed some sort of "TestLink" table that would return some generic
non-changing response from each file to satisfy me that all linking was in
good order...........

From the Help file:
What does the error #NAME? mean?
The #NAME? error value occurs when Microsoft Excel doesn't recognize text in
a formula.

The Help file goes on to list several possible causes..........

hth
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"jim sturtz" <jim@sturtzs.com> wrote in message
> i have a workbook that i have listed lots of values to link into other
> spreadsheets.
>
> i have lots of other spreadsheets with links pointing back to the other
> spreadsheet.
>
> when i try to print one of the individual (or more) spreadsheets i get a
> message asking if i want to udpate or not.
>
> i say 'yep update'.
>
> the spreadsheet then opens changes all the 'saved' numbers or text to an
> error 'NAME' and prints that instead of updating tthe file and printing
the
> correct numbers.
>
> how do i fix this so it will do the update, then print.
>
> hopefully without having to open each individual spreedsheet (40+) of
them.

> thanks.
>
> jim

0
croberts (1377)
6/15/2004 10:18:21 PM
well i suppose that the link has a problem, but if i just open the
spreadsheet with the data to be updated in it, it does an auto-update and
shows the correct values.  if i close all files and right-click the sheet it
loads then prints but with the error instead of the values.  if i open the
file with the links in it, same thing happens.  if i drag/drop the file to a
printer same thing.  i changed the file to ask if i want to update (rather
than autoupdate), it asks i say yes, same thing happens.

its as if the 'auto-printing' doesnt get the file with the loaded values.

if i just open the file & print it it prints fine.

something is screwy for sure.

jim

"CLR" <croberts@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> Could be that your link updating is performing correctly and the problem
is
> actually with corrupt data.........or some of the links might be
> bad...........I would suggest that with links to that many files, that I
> would embed some sort of "TestLink" table that would return some generic
> non-changing response from each file to satisfy me that all linking was in
> good order...........
>
> From the Help file:
> What does the error #NAME? mean?
> The #NAME? error value occurs when Microsoft Excel doesn't recognize text
in
> a formula.
>
> The Help file goes on to list several possible causes..........
>
> hth
> Vaya con Dios,
> Chuck, CABGx3
>

> "jim sturtz" <jim@sturtzs.com> wrote in message
> > i have a workbook that i have listed lots of values to link into other
> > spreadsheets.
> >
> > i have lots of other spreadsheets with links pointing back to the other
> > spreadsheet.
> >
> > when i try to print one of the individual (or more) spreadsheets i get a
> > message asking if i want to udpate or not.
> >
> > i say 'yep update'.
> >
> > the spreadsheet then opens changes all the 'saved' numbers or text to an
> > error 'NAME' and prints that instead of updating tthe file and printing
> the
> > correct numbers.
> >
> > how do i fix this so it will do the update, then print.
> >
> > hopefully without having to open each individual spreedsheet (40+) of
> them.
> >
> > thanks.
> >
> > jim

0
jim2690 (10)
6/16/2004 11:22:31 AM
Hi Jim.............

The next thing is, does this file respond the same way on other computers
and/or with other printers?.............do any other files linked similar to
this have this same problem on that computer?...........in other words, is
the trouble with the file, or with your hardware or
software?.............isolation may make the problem easier to find.

> well i suppose that the link has a problem, but if i just open the
> spreadsheet with the data to be updated in it, it does an auto-update and
> shows the correct values.  if i close all files and right-click the sheet
it
> loads then prints but with the error instead of the values.  if i open the
> file with the links in it, same thing happens.  if i drag/drop the file to
> printer same thing.  i changed the file to ask if i want to update (rather
> than autoupdate), it asks i say yes, same thing happens.
>
> its as if the 'auto-printing' doesnt get the file with the loaded values.
>
> if i just open the file & print it it prints fine.
>
> something is screwy for sure.
>
> jim
>

> "CLR" <croberts@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> > Could be that your link updating is performing correctly and the problem
> is
> > actually with corrupt data.........or some of the links might be
> > bad...........I would suggest that with links to that many files, that I
> > would embed some sort of "TestLink" table that would return some generic
> > non-changing response from each file to satisfy me that all linking was
in
> > good order...........
> >
> > From the Help file:
> > What does the error #NAME? mean?
> > The #NAME? error value occurs when Microsoft Excel doesn't recognize
text
> in
> > a formula.
> >
> > The Help file goes on to list several possible causes..........
> >
> > hth
> > Vaya con Dios,
> > Chuck, CABGx3
> >

> > "jim sturtz" <jim@sturtzs.com> wrote in message
> > > i have a workbook that i have listed lots of values to link into other
> > > spreadsheets.
> > >
> > > i have lots of other spreadsheets with links pointing back to the
other
> > > spreadsheet.
> > >
> > > when i try to print one of the individual (or more) spreadsheets i get
> > > message asking if i want to udpate or not.
> > >
> > > i say 'yep update'.
> > >
> > > the spreadsheet then opens changes all the 'saved' numbers or text to
an
> > > error 'NAME' and prints that instead of updating tthe file and
printing
> > the
> > > correct numbers.
> > >
> > > how do i fix this so it will do the update, then print.
> > >
> > > hopefully without having to open each individual spreedsheet (40+) of
> > them.
> > >
> > > thanks.
> > >
> > > jim

0
croberts (1377)
6/16/2004 9:49:44 PM
yep, seems to be an excel problem when i do the right-click print.  if i am
'in' excel it updates & prints fine, but when i try sending it from explorer
to the printer it doesnt update correctly.  i can actually see it change the
data (if there is a data change say from 1 to 2) and then drop them off the
page and substitute the #name.  someone more knowledgeable than me thinks
the windows level 'print' is using a sub-set of excel rather than the 'full'
version and that is the reason.  makes some sort of sense i guess.

> Hi Jim.............
>
> The next thing is, does this file respond the same way on other computers
> and/or with other printers?.............do any other files linked similar
> this have this same problem on that computer?...........in other words, is
> the trouble with the file, or with your hardware or
> software?.............isolation may make the problem easier to find.
>
> Vaya con Dios,
> Chuck, CABGx3

0
jim2690 (10)
6/17/2004 1:48:43 PM
Hi Jim...........

If the file prints ok on another computer/printer, and you have determined
that the trouble is definately with your Install of Excel, then I guess all
thats left to do is a re-install of Excel/Office/PrinterDriver..........and
maybe even Windows......... maybe you might find out more about that in a
Windows Newsgroup.

> yep, seems to be an excel problem when i do the right-click print.  if i
am
> 'in' excel it updates & prints fine, but when i try sending it from
explorer
> to the printer it doesnt update correctly.  i can actually see it change
the
> data (if there is a data change say from 1 to 2) and then drop them off
the
> page and substitute the #name.  someone more knowledgeable than me thinks
> the windows level 'print' is using a sub-set of excel rather than the
'full'
> version and that is the reason.  makes some sort of sense i guess.
>
> "CLR" <croberts@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Jim.............
> >
> > The next thing is, does this file respond the same way on other
computers
> > and/or with other printers?.............do any other files linked
similar
> > this have this same problem on that computer?...........in other words,
is
> > the trouble with the file, or with your hardware or
> > software?.............isolation may make the problem easier to find.
> >
> > Vaya con Dios,
> > Chuck, CABGx3

0
croberts1 (105)
6/17/2004 2:26:34 PM
well re-installing excel isnt a big chore but does

<<someone more knowledgeable than me thinks the windows level 'print' is
using a sub-set of excel rather than the 'full' version and that is the
reason>>

that work for the group here too?  i dont know if that is correct or not.

thanks.

"CLR" <croberts@hitechled.com> wrote in message
> Hi Jim...........
>
> If the file prints ok on another computer/printer, and you have determined
> that the trouble is definately with your Install of Excel, then I guess
all
> thats left to do is a re-install of
Excel/Office/PrinterDriver..........and
> maybe even Windows......... maybe you might find out more about that in a
> Windows Newsgroup.

0
jim2690 (10)
6/21/2004 3:42:00 PM
Hi Jim.........

I dunno for sure, but notice I included the Printer Driver as one of the
potential culprits........I suppose by some stretch, it could reach all the
way out to Windows too......sorry, I wish I had better answers.....

> well re-installing excel isnt a big chore but does
>
> <<someone more knowledgeable than me thinks the windows level 'print' is
> using a sub-set of excel rather than the 'full' version and that is the
> reason>>
>
> that work for the group here too?  i dont know if that is correct or not.
>
> thanks.
>
> "CLR" <croberts@hitechled.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Jim...........
> >
> > If the file prints ok on another computer/printer, and you have
determined
> > that the trouble is definately with your Install of Excel, then I guess
> all
> > thats left to do is a re-install of
> Excel/Office/PrinterDriver..........and
> > maybe even Windows......... maybe you might find out more about that in
> > Windows Newsgroup.

0
croberts1 (105)