Update data in Excel

I have two reports in Access one is and output to and the other is exported.
I am trying to figure out which one to use so my columns (data) will be
updated when the user clicks the automated button. I noticed the export to
excel does not update but the output to does. I have two questions

1. Is there a easy way to update the data based of Access report export?
2. If not I can use the output to but I need to find out how to
automatically align the columns when the new data is entered.

Am I taking the hard way or is there an easier way to export updated reprts
to Excel?

Please help I am a newbe in Excel.
0
TKM (12)

TKM

Go into Access from Excel via Data>Get External Data>New database query...

Once you have set this up, you can take the same menu options and just press
the ! mark and the data will refresh with the up to date data

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS
www.nickhodge.co.uk

"TKM" <TKM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have two reports in Access one is and output to and the other is
>exported.
> I am trying to figure out which one to use so my columns (data) will be
> updated when the user clicks the automated button. I noticed the export to
> excel does not update but the output to does. I have two questions
>
> 1. Is there a easy way to update the data based of Access report export?
> 2. If not I can use the output to but I need to find out how to
> automatically align the columns when the new data is entered.
>
> Am I taking the hard way or is there an easier way to export updated
> reprts
> to Excel?
>
> Please help I am a newbe in Excel.

I dont get what you are saying. Go into Access from Excel? I went into Excel
and dont see a Get External Data anywhere in the menu. What I am doing is
exporting a report into Excel like this
et SpdSheet = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
            SpdSheet.Workbooks.Open ("M:\documents and
settings\tromil\report#3qry2of2.xls")
               SpdSheet.Visible = True

Then the report opens in Excel. But when the user pushes the button again
she gets the same data with no update. I am trying to find a way to automate
this to update when the user  clicks the button and not keep showing the same
report.

Any suggestions?

"Nick Hodge" wrote:

> TKM
>
> Go into Access from Excel via Data>Get External Data>New database query...
>
> Once you have set this up, you can take the same menu options and just press
> the ! mark and the data will refresh with the up to date data
>
> --
> HTH
> Nick Hodge
> Microsoft MVP - Excel
> Southampton, England
>
> nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS
> www.nickhodge.co.uk
>
> "TKM" <TKM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have two reports in Access one is and output to and the other is
> >exported.
> > I am trying to figure out which one to use so my columns (data) will be
> > updated when the user clicks the automated button. I noticed the export to
> > excel does not update but the output to does. I have two questions
> >
> > 1. Is there a easy way to update the data based of Access report export?
> > 2. If not I can use the output to but I need to find out how to
> > automatically align the columns when the new data is entered.
> >
> > Am I taking the hard way or is there an easier way to export updated
> > reprts
> > to Excel?
> >
> > Please help I am a newbe in Excel.

0
TKM (12)
10/19/2006 2:51:02 PM
You have an automation solution in VBA.

I was saying go into Excel (Options: Data>Import External Data>New Database
Query), once you have setup this ODBC connection to an Access Table/Query,
you will be able to take the same option and simple press the ! to refresh
the data.  It may be better to do this in a pivot table in Excel (Data>Pivot
table report or chart), but not knowing what you want the Excel portion to
look like it's difficult to say.  In each case a simple refresh will always
reflect the new data.  You can even set it to refresh automatically on
opening the Excel file.

If it is an Access report, hen this will be derived from an Access
query/table, so you should be able to replicate this in Excel

You can also set up Excel to retain formatting, fill down formulae, as data
gets added taken away, etc

No code needed this way

--

>I dont get what you are saying. Go into Access from Excel? I went into
>Excel
> and dont see a Get External Data anywhere in the menu. What I am doing is
> exporting a report into Excel like this
> et SpdSheet = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
>            SpdSheet.Workbooks.Open ("M:\documents and
> settings\tromil\report#3qry2of2.xls")
>               SpdSheet.Visible = True
>
> Then the report opens in Excel. But when the user pushes the button again
> she gets the same data with no update. I am trying to find a way to
> automate
> this to update when the user  clicks the button and not keep showing the
> same
> report.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> "Nick Hodge" wrote:
>
>> TKM
>>
>> Go into Access from Excel via Data>Get External Data>New database
>> query...
>>
>> Once you have set this up, you can take the same menu options and just
>> press
>> the ! mark and the data will refresh with the up to date data
>>
>> --
>> HTH
>> Nick Hodge
>> Microsoft MVP - Excel
>> Southampton, England
>>
>> nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS
>> www.nickhodge.co.uk
>>
>> "TKM" <TKM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have two reports in Access one is and output to and the other is
>> >exported.
>> > I am trying to figure out which one to use so my columns (data) will be
>> > updated when the user clicks the automated button. I noticed the export
>> > excel does not update but the output to does. I have two questions
>> >
>> > 1. Is there a easy way to update the data based of Access report
>> > export?
>> > 2. If not I can use the output to but I need to find out how to
>> > automatically align the columns when the new data is entered.
>> >
>> > Am I taking the hard way or is there an easier way to export updated
>> > reprts
>> > to Excel?
>> >
>> > Please help I am a newbe in Excel.

OK got it. How would I get it to refresh? Is there a button I can push then
record the macro and put it in my code?b Thanks again for your help!

"Nick Hodge" wrote:

> You have an automation solution in VBA.
>
> I was saying go into Excel (Options: Data>Import External Data>New Database
> Query), once you have setup this ODBC connection to an Access Table/Query,
> you will be able to take the same option and simple press the ! to refresh
> the data.  It may be better to do this in a pivot table in Excel (Data>Pivot
> table report or chart), but not knowing what you want the Excel portion to
> look like it's difficult to say.  In each case a simple refresh will always
> reflect the new data.  You can even set it to refresh automatically on
> opening the Excel file.
>
> If it is an Access report, hen this will be derived from an Access
> query/table, so you should be able to replicate this in Excel
>
> You can also set up Excel to retain formatting, fill down formulae, as data
> gets added taken away, etc
>
> No code needed this way
>
> --
> HTH
> Nick Hodge
> Microsoft MVP - Excel
> Southampton, England
>
> nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS
> www.nickhodge.co.uk
>
> "TKM" <TKM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I dont get what you are saying. Go into Access from Excel? I went into
> >Excel
> > and dont see a Get External Data anywhere in the menu. What I am doing is
> > exporting a report into Excel like this
> > et SpdSheet = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
> >            SpdSheet.Workbooks.Open ("M:\documents and
> > settings\tromil\report#3qry2of2.xls")
> >               SpdSheet.Visible = True
> >
> > Then the report opens in Excel. But when the user pushes the button again
> > she gets the same data with no update. I am trying to find a way to
> > automate
> > this to update when the user  clicks the button and not keep showing the
> > same
> > report.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > "Nick Hodge" wrote:
> >
> >> TKM
> >>
> >> Go into Access from Excel via Data>Get External Data>New database
> >> query...
> >>
> >> Once you have set this up, you can take the same menu options and just
> >> press
> >> the ! mark and the data will refresh with the up to date data
> >>
> >> --
> >> HTH
> >> Nick Hodge
> >> Microsoft MVP - Excel
> >> Southampton, England
> >>
> >> nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS
> >> www.nickhodge.co.uk
> >>
> >> "TKM" <TKM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
TKM (12)
10/19/2006 8:51:02 PM
No Code

After you set it up, go back to Data>ExternalData>Refresh (It's the !).
This option isn't there until you set it up

Maybe here will help

http://www.nickhodge.co.uk/gui/datamenu/importexternal.htm

--

> OK got it. How would I get it to refresh? Is there a button I can push
> then
> record the macro and put it in my code?b Thanks again for your help!
>
> "Nick Hodge" wrote:
>
>> You have an automation solution in VBA.
>>
>> I was saying go into Excel (Options: Data>Import External Data>New
>> Database
>> Query), once you have setup this ODBC connection to an Access
>> Table/Query,
>> you will be able to take the same option and simple press the ! to
>> refresh
>> the data.  It may be better to do this in a pivot table in Excel
>> (Data>Pivot
>> table report or chart), but not knowing what you want the Excel portion
>> look like it's difficult to say.  In each case a simple refresh will
>> always
>> reflect the new data.  You can even set it to refresh automatically on
>> opening the Excel file.
>>
>> If it is an Access report, hen this will be derived from an Access
>> query/table, so you should be able to replicate this in Excel
>>
>> You can also set up Excel to retain formatting, fill down formulae, as
>> data
>> gets added taken away, etc
>>
>> No code needed this way
>>
>> --
>> HTH
>> Nick Hodge
>> Microsoft MVP - Excel
>> Southampton, England
>>
>> nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS
>> www.nickhodge.co.uk
>>
>> "TKM" <TKM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I dont get what you are saying. Go into Access from Excel? I went into
>> >Excel
>> > and dont see a Get External Data anywhere in the menu. What I am doing
>> > is
>> > exporting a report into Excel like this
>> > et SpdSheet = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
>> >            SpdSheet.Workbooks.Open ("M:\documents and
>> > settings\tromil\report#3qry2of2.xls")
>> >               SpdSheet.Visible = True
>> >
>> > Then the report opens in Excel. But when the user pushes the button
>> > again
>> > she gets the same data with no update. I am trying to find a way to
>> > automate
>> > this to update when the user  clicks the button and not keep showing
>> > the
>> > same
>> > report.
>> >
>> > Any suggestions?

number rounding in MS Excel

update column

Meeting updates #2

Money Plus not Updating Quotes

SpreadSheetML (XML for Excel)

Public Folder link to Excel File

Filters in Excel 2003

Excel Opens Without Displaying Workbook

Customer check data

Macro to seperate data

Need HELP! for Linking data

ExCel programming

printing imported gif files in Excel

Online Price Updates
Somehow online price updating was turned on in my file. I have turned it off. However, when I go to delete the erroneous past-dated Online Prices for a particular stock, it appears they are initialling deleting, but when I return to the stock later, all the deleted online prices (from the past) are re-instated. It is as though none of the price deletions I performed have taken effect. How do I clean up these erroneous past online price updates? ...

Macro

Symbol Updating Only Every Few Days (if at all)
Using Money 2006, and have a symbol "VLO" that is only updating every few days. This stock was a duplicate (downloaded transaction created a new version of the same stock - my fault not clicking correct choice when asked). I've removed the symbol from the stock entry that was downloaded, renamed this entry to something bogus, deleting this renamed stock "from all accounts", then added the symbol back to the original VLO stock that I've been tracking for years. Now the stock just says "unch" in the portfolio view, and the price history is only updat...

macros entering data