Trouble with hyhens within text when using LOOKUP

I have two columns, each containing a list of part numbers.  Some of the part
numbers contain hyphens.
I am using LOOKUP and/or VLOOKUP to determine if the value in one column
exists in the other.  This works great on non-hyphenated part numbers.
However, it will not find or return the hyphenated part numbers from the
specified arrays.  As a test, I did a quick if statement to compare the
instances of identical hyphenated values that exist in both columns.  Those
statements did not have a problem with the hyphens.  Can anyone offer any
help? If hyphens cannot be used in conjunction with the LOOKUP functions, can
I strip the hyphens out of the numbers?

Thanks,
Dennis
0
forum (466)

Dennis,

When You Created your Vlookup Formula did you use false in th
Range_lookup field?    ie: "=VLOOKUP(B3,A7:B12,2,FALSE)"

Odi

--
Odicu
Odicus's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2561

count text through worksheets generates error
Hi all, In a workbook with a lot of worksheets i want to count the number of times a specific text value occurs in a cell. All sheets have the same layout. So, for instance, when i want to count the number of times the value "yes" occurs in cell B2 through sheets 1 to 5 and i use the function =countif(sheet1:sheet5!b2,"yes") excel generates an error message (#value!). I don't understand why, because if i would use the function in 1 sheet only I get the required result. I suspect that some functions cannot work on grouped sheets. Is there a list somewhere that e...

i cannot use the mouse right click in excel. how to rectify?
i cannot use the mouse right click in excel. how to rectify? Is this just when over the cells ? Does it work on the title bar - windows options Or on the Excel menus ? Steve On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 14:21:01 +0100, j <j@discussions.microsoft.com> wrot= e: > i cannot use the mouse right click in excel. how to rectify? Unless the right-click button is frozen, I'm sure you can use the mouse right-click in Excel Just hit the right-click button. Now...........................the real issue What are you right-clicking on and what doesn't happen for you? Does the right-click no...

Text moves on saving
Using Publisher 2002, when I save a document of several pages, approximately an inch or so of text jumps from one page to the next page in linked text boxes. When I go back to the previous page, text usually reverts to the proper place. Sometimes, I have to delete a blank line to make the text come back, then later I will have to put that line back in. When I save again, text jumps again. Hi Jan (anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com), in the newsgroups you posted: || Using Publisher 2002, when I save a document of several || pages, approximately an inch or so of text jumps from one || ...

lookup formula not picking up correct data
I using Excel 2003 to create a "Lookup" formula to calculate grade points and grade point averages. I want to insert the grade and have the grade converted to a grade point then multiply by the number of credits for the class. I created a vector with the grade and a corresponding vector with the grade point. The formula I am using is =LOOKUP(D6, B1:N1, B2:N2) where D6 is the lookup value (the grade); b1:n1 is the lookup vector; and b2:n2 is the result vector. The result is that I get an "#N/A" error message when I input some grades, I get the incorrect gra...

Using exchange server 2003 as an smtp server outside of the domain
For the life of me I cannot figure out how to setup exchange server as an smtp server so that I can use it to send mail from outside of its domain environment. basically i want to be able to send email from any computer not on the domain by using mail.mydomain.com . I'm not sure if the issue is actually related to something on exchange server 2003, or if it's DNS related issue. we do use OWA so wthat when we type in a web browser mail.mydomain.com it takes us to OWA. Right now if I try setting up a POP3 Account in Outlook and use mail.mydomain.com for incoming and SMTP servers it err...

using one combo box to determine content of a second combo box
Hello, I have been trying for several days to figure out how to use one combo box to determine the content of a second combo box. I am creating a database listing equipment by manufacturer and model # I would like to create one combo box that gives a drop down list of manufacturers Then, based on the manufacturer chosen, I would like to have a second combo box which gives a drop down list of model #'s offered by the chosen manufacturer It seems like a fairly simple concept, but I have poured through the "using access 2003" guide with no luck Access version I'm using: 20...

Using CIPAddressCtrl in stead of an edit control
If I use a CIPAddressCtrl on my property page it does a great job of handling the 4 bytes with periods but how do I get the address in and out of the property page in the DataExchange function? Do I have to handle the DWORD as the exchange data? Rob DDX_Text should work... "Rob K" <rbk@no.spamm.net> д���ʼ� news:3zgsf.10739$SM6.8164@fe15.lga... > If I use a CIPAddressCtrl on my property page it does a great job of > handling the 4 bytes with periods but how do I get the address in and out of > the property page in the DataExchange function? Do I have to handle th...

"Diagonal" cells
Hi. I'm doing a tricky poor-man's-Illustrator project with Excel 2007. I'm trying to create the impression of a large cell that's been split in half diagonally (with a diagonal ascending from bottom left to top right). I've created a 2 x 2 grid of cells and put a diagonal border through the lower left and top right cells and removed the vertical, internal borders. Looks great so far. In addition, I'd like to place text in the upper left and lower right cells. Ideally, this text would be wider than the upper left or lower right cell and would flow over into the adja...

insert symbols in text cell
i would to insert "-" to the text cell format, how to do? example: 123456 change to 123-456 -- SelinaT ------------------------------------------------------------------------ SelinaT's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=33675 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=534451 Assuming the data posted is representative (6 digits, with dash to be inserted in centre) and running in A1 down Try in B1: =LEFT(A1,3)&"-"&RIGHT(A1,3) Copy down Then copy col B, and overwrite col A with Paste special &g...

Excel -- Wrapped text disappears
A user here is having the same problem as described in a previous topic (http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel/browse_thread/thread/b32b50c3e69981d/dc8adb6c01616d70%23dc8adb6c01616d70). Windows XP Pro, SP2 Office 2003 Pro, SP2 New machine with plenty of resources. Was originally working properly, then mysteriously developed a strange symptom: Any text that is in an Excel cell in which the "wrap text" option has been selected no longer shows up. I have checked it with 1 character, 1 word, and multiple lines of text. It has been repeated with spreadsheets created on...

Manipulating text data
Win XP HE, XL 2002 Hi, I have a list of 1000 company names that I need to parse in this manner: In Cell A1 abcmanagement should be in Cell A2 ABC Management In A2 abcdefcompany should be in B2 ABCDEF Company etc..... There are a list of company with the following keywords: management, company, firm, llc, that may appear in the names in cell in the A column. What I need to do is a) insert a blank space between whatever is BEFORE the above key words. How to use a formula to quickly "parse" cells in the A column to insert this blank space at the right place and separate the names a...

error with the form when using asp.
I get this error, when i submit the form. The error comes up and some technical advisor from my host company told me to change it to ASP Email but i don't understand what he was talking about. Can someone provide assistance. Server object error 'ASP 0178 : 80070005' Server.CreateObject Access Error /WebAppSub.asp, line 9 The call to Server.CreateObject failed while checking permissions. Access is denied to this object. ...

dynamic forms (i.e. form with hidden text boxes, calenders etc)
I have one form with 25 different text box, calenders and selection boxes on the are all hidden except one showing at a time (its being used for users to entered data). I need to put a progress bar, but as the number of input choices changes dependant on what the user enters, its not as simple as '1 of 25' the other idea is to put all the 25 catorgories on one side of the form and then display what the user has entered as they go along. (problem here is that it means 25 new text boxes !!) any one got any other ideas? This would be very hard as you stated you never know how man...

Trouble Since KB911829 Installation
Ever since I installed the update for Exchange 2003 Service Pack 2 (non-clustered) servers last week I have been getting application errors I can find no information on. I get the generic Event ID 1000 from source: Microsoft Exchange Server. Faulting application exsp.dll, version 6.5.7638.1, stamp 430e735b, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, stamp 00000000, debug? 0, fault address 0x000000c7. Anybody else having this issue? Sure would like to find a resolution. This is my production server, and although mail and such are working properly, the name of the faulting module and it'...

I don't know which formula to use?
I need help understanding which formula I should use. . . I have built a table similar to the one below on a sheet of my workbook. On a separate sheet, I need to be able to input ONLY two variables (state and fruit) and return information (the cost) defined in the table below. As an example: Inputting the variables of Texas and Bananas should return $4.00. I need to be able to change Texas to Florida and the formula should immediately update to the value to $6.00. Another example: Inputting the variables of Texas and Bananas should return $4.00. I need to be able to ...

How can I get my text to arc in Visio?
I have a circular pie chart. I want my text in various places on the outside of the ciruclar pie chart to arc with the circle. I know how to add text boxes, but they don't arc--they are flat across the usual way (since visio doesn't support it) is to copy it from something like powerpoint. al "michobrien" <michobrien@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E6593E93-8E62-4BEE-87F4-79B395F11F91@microsoft.com... >I have a circular pie chart. I want my text in various places on the >outside > of the ciruclar pie chart to arc with the circle. I k...

Please help me: Refresh pivot table using another source file.
My supervisor put an interactive spreadsheet (or pivot table) on the web. Now he wants me to make changes to the spreadsheet so that when you click "Refresh" on the website, this spreadsheet gets new data from me rather than from my supervisor. How do I do this? Thanks for your help. ...

Text in VBA
Hello, I'd like, if possible, in VBA to have an inputbox that will allow me to write a text in J1 if B1 has value but J1 is empty. Is that possible? Hi how should this inputbox be invoked? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Jeff" <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:A7813AAF-1A10-4F19-86D8-80F25F89434F@microsoft.com... > Hello, > > I'd like, if possible, in VBA to have an inputbox that will allow me to > write a text in J1 if B1 has value but J1 is empty. > Is that possible? > This inputbox should be invoked if...

how do I highlite text within a cell (specific characters)
I am trying to high light specific characters within a cell. (similiar to the way text can be high lighted in word. Can this be done in Excell. I dont want to change the colour of the cell or the colour of the text - but do want to high light specific parts of the text with in a cell Just select that part of the text and format as per your requirement by going to cells > format > font. Mangesh "tim" <tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A9781298-1301-4FE1-9901-9D1C03504504@microsoft.com... > I am trying to high light specific characters within a ...

Can't remember which Product Keys I have used

Lookup Statement (2007)
I have a spreadsheet users will be entering monthly mileage readings into. Column D could have a value of M (miles) or K (kilometers). If K is used, I would like it to convert the difference between the starting and ending readings into miles. D9 = K H9 = Starting kilometers (45612) I9 = Ending Kilometers (45700) J9 = resulting difference in miles (I9-H9)*.6 result (52.8 miles) Is this possible. Thanks Sojuman - Yes, use this in cdll J9: IF(D9 = "K",(I9-H9)*.6,(I9-H9)) If D9 is "K", then it will calculate miles from kilometers, else it will ...

trouble setting up e mail account
I set up the e mail account ,tried the ( test accont setting ) and it was succesful, but I am not able to receive or send any mail in the inbox, I am using outlook 2003, please any help!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Mike Not enough info to help you. Type of email? Name of ISP? Did you receive the test email? If not, it didn't work. Remember Outlook does not work with free web mail. "mike" wrote: > I set up the e mail account ,tried the ( test accont setting ) and it was > succesful, but I am not able to receive or send any mail in the inbox, I am >...

display of text and lines from CAD
In Visio 2007, I opened a .DWG,converted it, and saved is as Visio (.VSD). Some of the entities (both lines and text) don't display on the screen in the formatted color. The current theme is "none". I tried two other themes, with no apparant difference. Any idea why these would display (and print) as a different color than they are formatted? When I change the font size of the text, it does change size. When I change color, it doesn't change. help? Regards Jay ...

Unable to use Microsoft Outlook
I'm using a Dell 4700C, Windows XP Professional, Internet Explorer 6.0. I am unable to send or receive mail in Microsoft Outlook. Thank you for your help, meadow "meadow" <meadow@nospam.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:uGk9sj3$FHA.980@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > > I'm using a Dell 4700C, Windows XP Professional, Internet Explorer 6.0. > > I am unable to send or receive mail in Microsoft Outlook. > > Thank you for your help, > > meadow > Hi Meadow, tis is a little bit less information to help you. What Outlook version? Do you use Excha...

Trouble downloading templates
I have been trying to download some templates at the Microsoft office website. I clicked on the link in Excel 2002 (Office XP Version) and it took me to the templates home page. I picked out a few different templates that I wanted to download, but when I click on the download button, a new window (a small one) opens up and says it is downloading, but nothing actually happens. I read the help information concerning this and it mentioned downloading the Microsoft Office Template and Media Control, but I can't seem to find where to get this. I read the other help categories and have met a...