Trouble with hyhens within text when using LOOKUP

I have two columns, each containing a list of part numbers.  Some of the part
numbers contain hyphens.
I am using LOOKUP and/or VLOOKUP to determine if the value in one column
exists in the other.  This works great on non-hyphenated part numbers.
However, it will not find or return the hyphenated part numbers from the
specified arrays.  As a test, I did a quick if statement to compare the
instances of identical hyphenated values that exist in both columns.  Those
statements did not have a problem with the hyphens.  Can anyone offer any
help? If hyphens cannot be used in conjunction with the LOOKUP functions, can
I strip the hyphens out of the numbers?

Thanks,
Dennis
0
forum (466)

Dennis,

When You Created your Vlookup Formula did you use false in th
Range_lookup field?    ie: "=VLOOKUP(B3,A7:B12,2,FALSE)"

Odi

--
Odicu
Odicus's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2561

doc files not opening in word 2007 (unless from within word 2007)
ie, no double clicking doc files to open them in word 2007. I've tried to set my file associations, but word 2007 is not an option given to me by the computer (not even via the browse option). I've tried repairing, reinstalling, and have just tried re-registering, all to no avail. It's a bit annoying to have to go through the extra steps of saving files, opening word....you get the idea, it adds up to a lot of wasted time. ps. I attempted to post this query earlier, but it has failed to show up, so I apologize in advance if this becomes a duplicate post. ...

Custom chart use on another machine
Hello, I have created several user-defined chart "templates" for the purpose of having a macro use these charts to present data that is being pulled in from a text file. Everything works fine on my computer, but when the same workbook emailed to another computer and launched, the macro that is responsible for generating instances of my user-defined charts, fails because it does not recognize the user- defined chart types. Sure enough, when I looked at the available chart types, the user-defined charts that I created were not there. Does anyone know why these user- defined...

Norton Ghost Uses a Bootable CD
I need to create a bootable CD. How do I get a CD to load install.exe when the computer starts? In the DOS days, it was simple... with autoexec.bat From: "Patrick Whittle" <patrick_whittle@hotmail.com> | I need to create a bootable CD. How do I get a CD to load install.exe | when the computer starts? In the DOS days, it was simple... with | autoexec.bat What does Symantec/Norton Ghost have to do with Microsoft TechNet ? You abused Cross-Posting here. This should be posted in a Ghost group in the Symantec hierarchy. The fact is it is EASY to cr...

How to combine 2 cells' text into 1 cell
Hi all, Assume Cell B1 is "ClassA" Assume Cell B2 is "MayMay" I would like to make D2 as "ClassA MayMay" How can i do that? I have tried to write as =B1,B2 it seems not workable~ Thanks. =B1&" "&B2 -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please) <athatisme4@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1129074458.845268.98090@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com... > Hi all, > > Assume Cell B1 is "ClassA" > Assume Cell B2 is "MayMay" > > I would like to make D2 as "ClassA MayMay" > > > H...

Unable to attach file using send to function
Hi, please look here, http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com: 80/support/kb/articles/q176/2/69.asp&NoWebContent=1 -- Gestern gings noch, ICH habe nichts gemacht! ;-) Bravestar@Datenschutzministerium.de ...

Using the returned value of a function
I am trying to have a value automatically enetered into a range of cells if the date at the top of the column matches today's date. I have tried using the "Today()" and "IF" functions with no luck. adombrowski Wrote: > I am trying to have a value automatically enetered into a range of cell > if > the date at the top of the column matches today's date. I have trie > using > the "Today()" and "IF" functions with no luck. Hi adombrowski Assuming the the date to be in cell A1, try this =IF(A1=TODAY(),1,0) this will return the ...

Can there be too many sub queries within a single query?
I am trying to combine the results from more than 15 queries into a single query in an attempt to save opening 15 different queries individually. The query runs successfully with the exception of the 15th, or last, query returning null cells. If I pull that sub query by itself it does return the correct data however. Has anyone experienced this in their projects? Thanks for your help, Rick I do not know as there is a limit to the number of subqueries but I read there is a limit to the total number of characters in the complete SQL statement. That would include subqueries,...

Retrieving other attributes from a lookup dialog
Is it/how is it possible to retrieve other attributes from a selected record in a lookup dialog? E.g. from Account form, the lookup of Primary Contacts lists contacts' name, phone number etc. Is it from the account form after the selection possible to retrieve the selected contact's phone number? Something like crmFrom.all.primarycontactid...? Alternatively, what is a god way to retrieve the select contact at this point? -- Best regards, Per Hi Per, You need to call the CRM web services from the OnChange event to retrieve additional data. See http://www.stunnware.com/crm2/to...

Using NAS
I would like to retain my all mail account (including POP server based accounnts) on a NAS drive so that any and all computers on the network can access the files as well download new messages. If this is possible, please let me know how to set that up. Regards It's not possible the way you would like. WLM is not network compatible. All its data files must be on the local hard drive. If your mail service offers IMAP mail server access, that is the way to go. IMAP is designed for a single mail account to be shared by multiple PCs. The IMAP mail is managed at the mai...

Text field updating problem
Group, I am using the following control source for a text box on my form =DLookUp("[LastOfRoomChangeDate]","res_source_step 2","[RID] = [Forms]![res_residents]![RID]") The lookup was working great, not anymore...now it only updates when clicking the textbox...or waiting until it adds updates it almost a 2 minutes later or by making the textbox the first tab stop...... I am using Access 2007....any ideas to what might be causing it to run this way...or preventing my field from being updated One solution would be to Recalc the form, e.g.: Me.Recalc Ano...

Imported Visual Basic Module
I've imported a module into visual basic editor and have saved it, but can't seem to pull up the macros in excel. thanks. You mean they don't show up in a list of Macros? Maybe it is a Class Module or all macros within the module are Private Private Sub hello_macro() MsgBox "hello" End Sub Will not be listed in Tools>Macro>Macros You can access by typing the macroname and "Run" Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 13:02:02 -0800, Pat Adams <PatAdams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I've imported a modul...

reporting mailbox delegation ACLs using Powershell
Does anyone know of a way to retrieve the ACLs set on 2007 mailbox folders using Powershell? Say for example, user Joe has granted reviewer rights on his Inbox to Carla - I'd like to use Powershell to find and display that information. I've tried using the get-mailboxpermission and get-adpermission cmdlets but haven't found a way of retrieving them. Any help gratefully received... All the best, Darren ...

UDF trouble
Hi I have 2 user defined functions in my personal workbook. Function GetFontColor(mycell As Range) GetFontColor = mycell.Font.ColorIndex End Function Function GetFillColor(mycell As Range) GetFillColor = mycell.Interior.ColorIndex End Function I have entered these formuilas =getfillcolor(A1) =getfontcolor(A1) Both result in the #Name? error. What is the problem? TIA Use: =Personal.xls!GetFillColor(A1) By default, Personal.xls is just a regular (though hidden) workbook, so you need to use the workbook name. Add-ins don't require the workbook prefix. In article <19573C...

Text box unwanted border
For some reason I know not why, that even though I enter 'No line' in both Line/Border style and Dash style I still have a visible bold dash surrounding the text box. Any help would be appreciated. Did you happen to draw a rectangle around the text box? Try highlighting it, and move the bottom text box adjustment up. If the dashed line didn't move, click on it and delete. Or, Copy the text, and paste it and if the dashed line didn't go with the copy, delete the original. -- Don Vancouver, USA "Meridklt" <Meridklt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in m...

anyone use pc charge with telecheck to process checks?
I got it all set up but all checks are denied. I call telecheck and they say they don't support software check processing and I should talk to PC Charge , I talk to PC-Charge and they say talk to Telecheck since all the settings seem correct. I have my account #, the phone numbers correct from telecheck and MICR as service. It dials out and processes but everything is denied with a retry message. thanks ...

Using Outlook from a different computer?
Hi, I have just started using Outlook on my home computer. Can I access my emails from a different computer??? if so, how do I do it. Thanks Amanda It depends on what different computer you mean. If you're trying to access your work email from home, contact your systems administrator at work to find out what their protocols are and if you're even allowed to do it. If you're asking how to access your Outlook email from a different computer than what you have Outlook installed on, it depends on what your intentions are. It might be easier to just check your ISP...

using domain account for Exch2003 services
In Chapter 3 of the MS Press Training Kit "Implementing and Managing Microsoft Exchange Server 2003", there are instructions for changing the Exchange Services to run under a domain account (with appropriate group memberships and rights) rather than the default Local System account for security & auditing purposes. However, I could not start the services after making the change and reviewed several articles stating that only the Local System account will work - KB Articles 271920, 239762, etc. Is the training kit wrong, or is there a way to do this? thanks in advance, Art ...

How is the ease of use for salespeople compared to other tools?
With the goal of keeping it simple, it seems like there are a lot of steps, drop downs, etc. that slow up the inputting of information. Is there customization that is needed to speed this up would you think? is this a crm 1.2 or 3.0 question. Microsoft made a big effort to reduce the time to navigate around and input data in crm 3.0. you always have the option of building custom forms to allow you to enter data quickly then have these populate crm ========================= John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.microsoft.com/businesssolutions/crm/community/microsoft_crm_co...

spoolsv.exe uses 95% CPU networked printer
Hello there, new boy here. I really hope someone can help with a problem I`m having with my wife`s laptop running Vista home. We have a network printer which the laptop can see and connect to (wireless), if I try and print anything the print starts and then stops with the spoolsv.exe taking up just about all of the CPU. There are no error messages the exe file just sits there hogging the CPU. In the system32/spool/PRINTERS folder there is 1 SPL file and one SHD file, there is nothing else in there. This also happened when I tried to use the same printer (HP psc1355) as a sh...

I am having trouble keeping numbers formatted in a Pivot Table
I have a pivot table that won't stay formatted. The data is formatted as currency in the worksheet that the Pivot Table is drawing off of. It shows up as a general number in the Pivot. I've tried formatting it in the Pivot but it doesn't stay when I refresh the data. "Preserve formatting" is checked on the Pivot table, so it SHOULD be preserving any formatting I apply to the pivot table, but that doesn't seem to be happening. I know I could record a macro to format this, but it is happening on multiple Pivot tables in the same workbook and that would be a pain ...

how to use 2007 styles in Word 2003
hi everyone, we have Word 2003 but we really like the Styles that come with Word 2007. Is it possible to export these Styles and use it in Word 2003? And if yes, how can i do that. In Word 2007, click the Home tab of the ribbon. In the Styles group, click Change Styles | Style Set | Word 2003. To make this choice the default, click Change Styles again, and then click Set as Default. If/when you are prompted to save the changes to your template, choose to do so. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "skoub" <skoub@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messa...

how can i use countif function inside a filtered range
How can I use countif function inside a filtered range Hi, Not much detail here, so this is the general idea: =SUMPRODUCT(SUBTOTAL(3,OFFSET(C13:C18,ROW(13:18)-13,0,1)),--(C13:C18="Red")) -- If this helps, please click the Yes button Cheers, Shane Devenshire "jayin" wrote: > How can I use countif function inside a filtered range Shane Devenshire wrote on 02/24/2009 02:05 ET : > Hi, > > Not much detail here, so this is the general idea: > > =SUMPRODUCT(SUBTOTAL(3,OFFSET(C13:C18,ROW(13:18)-13,0,1)),--(C13:C18=&quot;Red&quot;)) > > ...

Using Outlook over a Network
Hi, I would like to know what software I need to allow multiple users to access one MS Outlook Calendar. The computers currently have Outlook 2000 and I would like the users to be able to edit one central calendar simultaneously, directly in the calendar (ie. not requiring users to send emails etc.) What sofware beyond Outlook 2000 do I need and is there any info on how this is done? Thanks Adrian Check out http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/share.htm -- PATRICK REED [Outlook - MVP]~~~~~~ -Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) -Have you checked http://www.slipstick.com? -Plea...

How do I use the "Correlation" dialog box with multiple ranges?
I'm using data in an Excel 2003 in a workbook, trying to see if there is any correlation between specific offices in which people work and the length of time they have been employed, their age the amount of sickleave taken and/or the amount of sickleave balance they have. I'm attempting to use Data Analysis and the Correlation dialog box. Although the dialog description tells me that I can use multiple comparison ranges, I don't see how to do it. Thanks for any help. Paulf6 - Arrange your data in list (database) format, i.e., names in the top row (Time Employed, Age, ...)...