text to fit in cell

How do I make the text fit in a cell. I want to be able
to print the page with all of the words in the cell even
if it has to make the cell larger, without going over
into the next cell. How do I do this?
0
anonymous (74722)

Hi
goto 'Format - Cells - alignment' and check 'Wrap text'

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

DaveB wrote:
> How do I make the text fit in a cell. I want to be able
> to print the page with all of the words in the cell even
> if it has to make the cell larger, without going over
> into the next cell. How do I do this?
0
frank.kabel (11126)
11/1/2004 6:55:19 PM
Dave

Format>Cells>Alignment>Wrap Text

Format>Row>AutoFit

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 10:25:45 -0800, "DaveB"

>How do I make the text fit in a cell. I want to be able
>to print the page with all of the words in the cell even
>if it has to make the cell larger, without going over
>into the next cell. How do I do this?

0
Gord

incoming Email with text and pictures shows text but no picture ?
I get Emails with text and pictures the text displays down the left side but the pictures fail to display the right side is blank, can I rectify ...

Chinese text
Does RMS have the facility to be used in a Chinese environment i.e., Products can be entered in Chinese etc? Is there a Chinese version that has all instructions within the Software in Chinese too? Thanks I know Ed Ip in New York has a chinese version of RMS. Best recommendation is to use Short Description in English and long description in Chinese. Contact Ed Ip ( eip@iug.net ). We also have in tore Utility a search facility that does Unicode search for Chinese or any language. Afshin Alikhani - afshin@retailrealm.co.uk Retail Realm = = = = = = = = = = = "Sid" <Sid@dis...

Text in oval shape
How can I get a text into an oval shape so that it looks like this, without creating a separate textbox for the text: aaaaaaaaaaaaaa bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb cccccccccccccccccccccccccccc dddddddddddddddddd eeeeeeeeeeeeeee If I add the text to the shape all I get is this aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa bbbbbbbbbbbbbbb ccccccccccccccccc ddddddddddddddd eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee In a Draw program. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/clipart/ http://www.mvps.org/msauer/getting_started.htm news://msnews.microsoft.com "tom" <tomalgire@...

Combining Text in Multiple Lines
Hi, I am downloading from a mainframe and convert the file to an Excel file. Eventually I sort the data. If I have a date field and I sort by date, Excel keeps everything which appears on the same line the date appeared on. My data, however, has multiple lines of text between dates. The extra data contains things like order details. Sometimes I need that info and have to go back to the unsorted file and type it into the sorted list. Is there anyway I can highlight the cells with the text data, merge them so that Excel views them as being on the same line as the date, and thus be ab...

Programming to search for a cell with certain value
I would like to be able to search for a cell with a certain string value? Then get that cells postions. Is there a way to programmatically to do that? Thanks Record a macro when you do it manually and you'll see the code. You can tweak it later. Use Edit|Find when you're recording. ms newsgrp wrote: > > I would like to be able to search for a cell with a certain string value? > Then get that cells postions. Is there a way to programmatically to do that? > Thanks -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com The code you use in VB will be very similar to the code inherent to V...

save file as cell value
Hi, Need to save the file I am working on as the value in one of the cells (Cell value changes) Example. The value in cell b109 is "JohnDow" I would like to save the file as JohnDow.xls without having to look at the value in b109 Thanks for the help Tom Option Explicit sub Testme() dim fname as string dim pname as string pname = "C:\whatever\you\want\here\" '<-note the final \ with activeworkbook fname = .worksheets("sheet1").range("A1").value & ".xls" .SaveAs Filename:=pname & fname,file...

Concatenate 4 cells
I need to combine 4 cells into 1 G6 = Technicians name G7 = number of items G8 = Date G9 = assigned location The result I would like to have is John Doe_6_mm_dd_yyyy_1234567 This string eill then be used to save the file "Dgwood90" wrote: > The result I would like to have is > John Doe_6_mm_dd_yyyy_1234567 =G6 & "_" & G7 & TEXT(G8,"\_mm\_dd\_yyyy\_") & G9 If G9 is less than 7 characters and you always want 7 characters, replace G9 above with TEXT(G9,"0000000"). ----- original message ----- "Dgwood...

Counting Formatted cells
Hi all, Is there a way to count cells which have been formatted? If so, can I count Blue cells, and then Red cells, then Green cells separately? Finally, can I count cells which have been conditionally formatted? For example: For cells A5 to L8 A5 is Blue. So is D5 and L5. That would be 3 of 12 cells that are formatted. Row 6 has no formatted cells. Row 7 has no formatted cells. B8 is Red, C8 is Green and G8 is Blue. Again, 3 of 12 cells are formatted but each cell has different formatting. Can these cells be counted using a formula? Finally, assume the same circumstances ...

Checkbox not part of cell. (???) Cells can move "underneath". (!!!)
When I add a checkbox form to my spreadsheet, it is not part of any cell. It sits above the spreadsheet and can even overlap the row/column/cell boundary lines. When I place them so that they look like they're "within" the cell, inserting a row will move the cells with text down, but the checkboxes, as you can guess, stay put. Is there someway to stitch the checkbox form to the cell contents itself? THANKS!!!!!!!!!! -- With knowledge comes sorrow. First, make sure your checkboxes are within each row (or cell). Then rightclick on each and select Format control then Prope...

text to appear at top of cell
in every cell I am tapping Alt and return so all the text appears in one box when the box is filled i manually drag the box down so all text is diaplayed rather half of it 1. Is there a shortcut way to apply this to all cells so that the text will display in one cell automatically in all cells and it automaitcally returns down so all text is diaplayes 2. When doing this in all cells the text displays in the bottom how can i set it so the text displays in the top Hit ctrl-a (twice in xl2003) to select all the cells. Then Format|Row|Autofit (You could also just select the rows you want...

How to handle "Enter" key pressed against a cell?
Hi, I am developing an application which uses Excel as the input interface. I want to use a cell as a "button", i.e. the user can use keyboard to navigate to that cell, and press enter to "click" the button. I don't want to use a button clicked by mouse, because that would be slow. However, I can't find any event like "onkeypressed", and "worksheet_change" and "worksheet_selectionchange" doesn't do well. What should I do? Thanks in advance. David Chan Many people would disagree with you about what's easier, but why don'...

find first empty cell in range and then copy from another workbook
I am looking for a formula function or a vba code where: - In workbook1 find the first cell that is empty between range A7 - A10, - In workbook2, in Range G10- G13: find the word "Day1". - If the word "Day1" exists in cells G10 or G11 or G12 or G13, copy the particular cell or cells where "Day1" exists to the first found empty cell or cells in range A7-A10 in workbook1. Lets suppose cells A8, A9, A10(workbook1) are empty cells, that means A8 is the first empty cell. And G10,G11,G12, G13 (workbook2) have the word "Day1" Then, Copy cell G10 into ce...

Converting currency to text and spliting to two lines
I have mangaged trough a google search to get the code to convert currency in cell to text in another for printing cheques etc. The problem is that once the text exceeds 40 characters i need it to go onto another line. Can someone please advise how i can split this at a space if more than 40 characters and put second half in a specific cell. eg line one of text is in cell B2 and Line two in cell B4 so Cell B2 would say "Five Hundred and Sixty Five Pounds and Twenty" and cell b4 would say "five Pence" The conversion code is below. '*******...

Show hours worked or Text "Day Off"
I have a spreadsheet that keeps track of hours worked during the week. The formula is =IF(OR(B23="",C23="",D23="",E23=""),"Day Off",(TEXT(B23,"h:mm AM/PM")&" - "&TEXT(C23,"h:mm AM/PM") &" "&TEXT(D23,"h:mm AM/PM")&" - "&TEXT(E23,"h:mm AM/PM"))) The columns track the In and Out times, Column B is In, Column C is Out, Column D is In, Column E is Out. This works great when there are no hours worked or there is a time in all 4 columns. It will give...

Missing Text
When replying to or forwarding a message, characters are deleted (sometimes entire paragraphs of text; sometimes only special characters like apostrophe and commas) and the signature includes extra line spaces, and wrapping is inconsistent. Help! ...

Custom Color Cell Shading in Excel
I want to use custom (RGB) colors in excel to fill cells, but I can't seem to figure it out. I can only find the basic ones which just don't meet my requirements. Even if you use RGB colours, Excel will fill; it with the colour closest in the colour palette. You need to change the colours in the palette. -- HTH RP "NicoleT" <NicoleT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4904A23E-D3CD-450E-8B55-9098B868CFBD@microsoft.com... > I want to use custom (RGB) colors in excel to fill cells, but I can't seem to > figure it out. I can only find the b...

Error message "the data will not fit in the worksheet"
I converted to EXCEL 2002 and attempting to do file transfer from AS/400 machine. On my previous EXCEL 2000 version, I could read over a maximum of 50,000 records. With EXCEL 2002, I get a message" The data will not fit in the worksheet" and stores exactly 16,351 records. What do I do to read the maximum number of records ? Are you using Client Access? IIRC, the last version of CA that I used only supported 16384 rows when transfered to excel (xl95 row count). I'm not sure if CA ever updated that addin for more rows. I haven't used it in a while, but I think I'...

How to count cell combinations
I'm looking for the formula to count the number a specified set of combinations appears in the table. Cells A1:A7 would vary with entries of L or R. Cells B1:B7 would vary with entries of S, C or B. In Cell B8 would be result of how many times there was a combination of an A cell having an 'L' and a B cell having a C. I'd also be looking for other specified combinations but once I have the basics down I can adjust the search criteria in the formula. Thank you for any assistance. Let's say you have L in D1 and C in E1 =sumproduct(--($A$1:$A$7=D1),--($B$1:$B$7=E1)) HTH,...

Formatting cells for phone numbers
Hey, im looking to format a number of cells into a phone number format I have a rather large excel spreadsheet of around 900 phone numbers they are currently in different formats such as: 0870 8888888 +44 0800 7777777 +800 (900) 666666 0980 888888 These are obviously just example numbers and not real ones, as you ca see they are all over the place and in the wrong format that i nee them in. Changing them all manually would take me forever so ive trie to create a custom formatting rule to have them represented like this: +44 (800) 888888 So basically they must all begin with +44 then the n...

Change case for all text in cell range
I'm trying to change all the names in existing cells (in a contiguous range) from standard case to all upper case (e.g: A1 = Joe Smith, A2 = Jane Doe, etc. to: A1 = JOE SMITH, A2 = JANE DOE, etc.). I need the new upper case values to be in the original cells. Using "=UPPER(A1:BB82) forces the values in that range to change but the new upper case values are in a different cell range. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. RLL ~ 1/27/2004 Borrowing code from Dave Peterson on truncating Left, this will make everything in A1:BB86 uppercase. Sub UCaseMe() Application.ScreenUpdating = False D...

Change in Cell Value
Hi All, I have a excel sheet contains different values in following format: Col. A 0101 0101 10 0101 10 10 0101 10 20 0101 10 30 and so on. Results need in two separate formats in following manner: 1. Col. B 01.01 0101.10 010110.10 010110.20 010110.30 2. Col. C 0101 010110 01011010 01011020 01011030 How can I do this with a code? Thanks in advance. You'll have to...

Insert Outlook Message into Excel cell
I am attempting to inset and Outlook message into a cell in Excel. This is to enable me to keep a log of e-mails for particular topics and to store them within Excel so that I could double-click within the spreadsheet and bring up the e-mail. Have tried copying, pasting, importing, linking all to no avail. Any further ideas/help or perhaps a way to do in Access? I recently posted something like this in the dutch NG. It searched for a string in the subjects of the inbox (optionally filters to current month) then adds a hyperlink to the message. It uses a class module to trap the"s...

Hiding source cell data after creating chart
I'm new to creating charts in Excel, but I can't figure out how to do this... After I create a chart from a range of cells, can I hide the original cells that contain the source data ? I only want to see the chart on the worksheet .... Thanks for any help ! -- tcurrier ------------------------------------------------------------------------ tcurrier's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=31279 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=511414 You could create the chart as a chart sheet, or embed it on a different...

Adjacent cells +
Hi: I have 15 adjacent cells in a row and they will allways contain th value zero with two exceptions. Two of these cell will have a value o 1. Here is my problem. I need to return the value of 3 if they ar adjacent cells, i.e., (0,0,0,1,1,0,0,0) the value 2 if there is on zero cell between them, (0,0,0,0,0,1,0,1,0) and the value 1 if ther are two zero value cells between the two cells containing ones (0,0,0,0,0,1,0,0,1,0,0,0). I have scoured two forums trying to find a soultion to this and nothin comes close. It can go into vba if necessary but would prefer to keep it in excel. Tha...

custom cell shading
Can I use cell shading other than the shades avaiable in Format Cells? I don't think so. Was about to suggest that you create the desired visual effect as an image and specify the image as the custom pattern, but I cannot find any way to specify a file as the source for a cell's pattern. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In article <832621E9-3D18-4DD6-A720-1994F2A07FD0@microsoft.com>, Saran@discussions.microsoft.com says... > Can I use cell shading other than the shades ...