Test your knowledge here.

Suppose there is a number is 100
Problem 1: The amount is decrease by 2%
Problem 2: The amount increase to 120

Conditions: 1. No hard-coding.
2. Use just ONE formula. This is to ensure that th
formula created is flexible. Can the formula increase the price by 6%
Can the formula decrease 100 to 80?

Thanks. Your help is highly appreciated

--
accountingfrea
accountingfreak's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2551

=A1*(1+B1)

where:
A1 contains 100
B1 can contain 20% or -2%

Regards,
KL

"accountingfreak"
<accountingfreak.1slzac_1122098753.3825@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:accountingfreak.1slzac_1122098753.3825@excelforum-nospam.com...

> Suppose there is a number is 100
> Problem 1: The amount is decrease by 2%
> Problem 2: The amount increase to 120
>
> Conditions: 1. No hard-coding.
> 2. Use just ONE formula. This is to ensure that the
> formula created is flexible. Can the formula increase the price by 6%?
> Can the formula decrease 100 to 80?
>
> Thanks. Your help is highly appreciated.
>

> --
> accountingfreak
> accountingfreak's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25510
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=389554

could u please verify your answer before posting? it seems wrong. and
you did not answer the Problem 2. Well, it is not as easy as you all
think. There is a trick somewhere but i can't identify it.

--
accountingfreak
accountingfreak's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25510
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=389554

How exactly does the formula you were given not answer the question?

You said no hardcoding therefore you cannot put your 100 into your formula,
therefore you may as well make it whatever the result has to be, ie 100 or
120 etc.  Formula then simply factors what is in A1 by what is in A2, and if
there is nothing in A2 then A1 stays as is.  Put a positive % in A2 and it
increases by that, or make it negative and it decreases by that.

Before taking a shot at the poster, please be aware that just because you
cannot see the answer it does not necessarily mean that others can't.  If
when you have worked through it properly, you believe it still does not meet
some criteria then please be very specific about WHAT criteria it does not
meet, and then give an example of what the formula produces compared with
what you would expect.

These forums are for like minded people to help each other out, so please
try and be courteous when it is obvious that someone else has taken time out
of their day to try and provide you with an answer, especially when to my
mind it would appear to answer it correctly.

--
Regards
              Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL 97/00/02/03

------------------------------�------------------------------�----------------
------------------------------�------------------------------�----------------

"accountingfreak"
<accountingfreak.1sm7me_1122109513.7162@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:accountingfreak.1sm7me_1122109513.7162@excelforum-nospam.com...

> could u please verify your answer before posting? it seems wrong. and
> you did not answer the Problem 2. Well, it is not as easy as you all
> think. There is a trick somewhere but i can't identify it.
>

> --
> accountingfreak
> accountingfreak's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25510
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=389554

0
ken.wright (2489)
7/23/2005 9:44:55 AM
could also you please:

check your question before replying?
check my answer before drawing conclusions
try and formulate what is wrong for you as, I guess, it may be different for
the rest of the world ;-)
at least say thank you if you know that word.

KL

"accountingfreak"
<accountingfreak.1sm7me_1122109513.7162@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:accountingfreak.1sm7me_1122109513.7162@excelforum-nospam.com...

> could u please verify your answer before posting? it seems wrong. and
> you did not answer the Problem 2. Well, it is not as easy as you all
> think. There is a trick somewhere but i can't identify it.
>

> --
> accountingfreak
> accountingfreak's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25510
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=389554

Thanks Ken.

KL

"Ken Wright" <ken.wright@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message
> How exactly does the formula you were given not answer the question?
>
> You said no hardcoding therefore you cannot put your 100 into your
> formula, therefore you may as well make it whatever the result has to be,
> ie 100 or 120 etc.  Formula then simply factors what is in A1 by what is
> in A2, and if there is nothing in A2 then A1 stays as is.  Put a positive
> % in A2 and it increases by that, or make it negative and it decreases by
> that.
>
> Before taking a shot at the poster, please be aware that just because you
> cannot see the answer it does not necessarily mean that others can't.  If
> when you have worked through it properly, you believe it still does not
> meet some criteria then please be very specific about WHAT criteria it
> does not meet, and then give an example of what the formula produces
> compared with what you would expect.
>
> These forums are for like minded people to help each other out, so please
> try and be courteous when it is obvious that someone else has taken time
> out of their day to try and provide you with an answer, especially when to
> my mind it would appear to answer it correctly.
>
> --
> Regards
>           Ken.......................    Microsoft MVP - Excel
>              Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL 97/00/02/03
>
> ------------------------------�------------------------------�----------------
> It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission :-)
> ------------------------------�------------------------------�----------------
>

> "accountingfreak"
> <accountingfreak.1sm7me_1122109513.7162@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
> message
>>
>> could u please verify your answer before posting? it seems wrong. and
>> you did not answer the Problem 2. Well, it is not as easy as you all
>> think. There is a trick somewhere but i can't identify it.
>>

>> --
>> accountingfreak
>> accountingfreak's Profile:
>> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25510
>> View this thread:
>> http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=389554

Maybe

=IF(B1<1,A1*(1+B1),A1+B1)

so it handles a percentage increase of less than 100% as per KLs post, but
if B1 > 1 then it just adds it.

As I sit back and wait to be vilified too <G>

--

HTH

RP

"accountingfreak"
<accountingfreak.1slzac_1122098753.3825@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:accountingfreak.1slzac_1122098753.3825@excelforum-nospam.com...

> Suppose there is a number is 100
> Problem 1: The amount is decrease by 2%
> Problem 2: The amount increase to 120
>
> Conditions: 1. No hard-coding.
> 2. Use just ONE formula. This is to ensure that the
> formula created is flexible. Can the formula increase the price by 6%?
> Can the formula decrease 100 to 80?
>
> Thanks. Your help is highly appreciated.
>

> --
> accountingfreak
> accountingfreak's Profile:
http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25510
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=389554

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
7/23/2005 10:52:56 AM
well if you do a calculation manually you can find out the answer so the
answer seems wrong. my apologise to KL! Wasn't know that you take it so
personally. I'm unaware of it.

--

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 03:42:38 -0500, accountingfreak wrote:
>could u please verify your answer before posting? it seems wrong. and
>you did not answer the Problem 2. Well, it is not as easy as you all
>think. There is a trick somewhere but i can't identify it.

This just swayed me from posting.

MP-
--
"Learning is a behavior that results from consequences."
 B.F. Skinner

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

Microsoft MVP - Excel

"accountingfreak"
<accountingfreak.1smoaf_1122131118.7717@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:accountingfreak.1smoaf_1122131118.7717@excelforum-nospam.com...

> well if you do a calculation manually you can find out the answer so the
> answer seems wrong. my apologise to KL! Wasn't know that you take it so
> personally. I'm unaware of it.
>

> --
> accountingfreak
> accountingfreak's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25510
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=389554

0
nicolaus (2022)
7/23/2005 4:04:27 PM
Hi Niek

I can't believe that you guys still bother answering the bloated idiot.  The
best way of handling people like this, is to ignore them.  Forget about them,
and remember what your mother told you about certain strangers.
--
j.kasselman@atlantic.net.remove_2nd_at.  Randburg, Gauteng, South Africa

"Niek Otten" wrote:

> You're unbelievable! Please tell us what input values you used, what values
> you calculated manually (and how) and what you got instead.
> Just to be complete, give us your exact formula.
>
> --
> Kind regards,
>
> Niek Otten
>
> Microsoft MVP - Excel
>
> "accountingfreak"
> <accountingfreak.1smoaf_1122131118.7717@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
> message news:accountingfreak.1smoaf_1122131118.7717@excelforum-nospam.com...
> >
> > well if you do a calculation manually you can find out the answer so the
> > answer seems wrong. my apologise to KL! Wasn't know that you take it so
> > personally. I'm unaware of it.
> >

> > --
> > accountingfreak
> > accountingfreak's Profile:
> > http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25510
> > View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=389554

Hi,
Please let us cool down and see what is the issue here. I do not have
any answers to the poster's request but seems like we all can learn
something. The solution/s  might not work out but at least we know they
are helpful people around when we need help.Lets keep personal feelings
aside and work towards a common goal.

Thanks
Regards
ST (Singapore)

--
st24961
st24961's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=20530

This sounds suspiciously like homework to me.

"accountingfreak" wrote:

> Suppose there is a number is 100
> Problem 1: The amount is decrease by 2%
> Problem 2: The amount increase to 120
>
> Conditions: 1. No hard-coding.
> 2. Use just ONE formula. This is to ensure that the
> formula created is flexible. Can the formula increase the price by 6%?
> Can the formula decrease 100 to 80?
>
> Thanks. Your help is highly appreciated.
>

> --
> accountingfreak
> accountingfreak's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25510
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=389554

0
jmb (270)
7/26/2005 12:55:03 AM
Hi

While I have no problem assisting anybody, if I can, I have a serious
problem with people who have already found a solution to a problem, and who
then posts to gloat.  This guy doe not have a problem, he has already solved
it.  Most likely through a shot of good luck.  He now wants to bask in his
glory.  He will not give you sufficient details to solve his riddle, and no
matter what your answer is, he will ridicule you, as he has already done.

Rather spend time helping those guys and girls with real problems, and make
their day!
--

"JMB" wrote:

> This sounds suspiciously like homework to me.
>

> "accountingfreak" wrote:
>

> > Suppose there is a number is 100
> > Problem 1: The amount is decrease by 2%
> > Problem 2: The amount increase to 120
> >
> > Conditions: 1. No hard-coding.
> > 2. Use just ONE formula. This is to ensure that the
> > formula created is flexible. Can the formula increase the price by 6%?
> > Can the formula decrease 100 to 80?
> >
> > Thanks. Your help is highly appreciated.
> >

> > --
> > accountingfreak
> > accountingfreak's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25510
> > View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=389554

accountingfreak shared this with us in microsoft.public.excel.newusers:

> Suppose there is a number is 100
> Problem 1: The amount is decrease by 2%
> Problem 2: The amount increase to 120
>
> Conditions: 1. No hard-coding.
> 2. Use just ONE formula. This is to ensure that the
> formula created is flexible. Can the formula increase the price by 6%?
> Can the formula decrease 100 to 80?
>
> Thanks. Your help is highly appreciated.

I have a VBA question for you.

I have an object.
When the object is dimmed, it has 4 methods (or properties, if you
like).
When the object is set, it has 2 methods.
And when the object is set to Null, it has 3 methods.

What object class is used?

;-)

--
Amedee Van Gasse
The solutions work fine and there are plenty of other posters that are far

Regards
             Ken...............

"st24961" <st24961.1sr5eg_1122339995.4155@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:st24961.1sr5eg_1122339995.4155@excelforum-nospam.com...

> Hi,
> Please let us cool down and see what is the issue here. I do not have
> any answers to the poster's request but seems like we all can learn
> something. The solution/s  might not work out but at least we know they
> are helpful people around when we need help.Lets keep personal feelings
> aside and work towards a common goal.
>
> Thanks
> Regards
> ST (Singapore)
>

> --
> st24961
> st24961's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=20530
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=389554

0
ken.wright (2489)

test
cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc ...

Test vista wm
testing vista wm ...

Determine whether test will fit in textbox
I have a continuous form that I am using to display a bunch of text to a user, so they can easily scroll through the records. I'm looking for a function which I can run that will tell me whether the text in the textbox is completely visible or not. Ideally, I'd like to use this function in a conditional formatting criteria so that if the text exceeds what is visible in the textbox, I can color code the textbox. Any ideas? -- Don''t forget to rate the post if it was helpful! email address is invalid Please reply to newsgroup only. Dale, I think the first thing you ...

Setting up test environment to test CRM 3 to CRM 4 upgrade...
So much of the planning information for and in-place up upgrade CRM 3.0 to 4.0 mentions testing the upgrade. But it really seems like an all-or-nothing deal. This scares me because we use a few 3rd party helper apps (c360, TAPI for CRM) and don't want to go through a 99 steps before realizing it hangs on the 100th. Has anyone set up a test environment to test things out, perhaps in a VM. Here's my current infrastructure (only the machines that are relevant). Server 1: CRM 3 Server running Win2003R2, SQL 2005SP2 Server 2: Exchange Server running Win2003R2, Exchange 2003, CR...

Beta Test
I have tried and tried and tried (unsuccessfully) to publish a web page to a website. I get a message that "I am not currently logged onto the internet and need to be logged on to complete this function" then it tries (unsuccessfully) to dial up for me. I have dsl online (Earthlink) and am online 24/7. How can I successfully publish this web page? The host is catalog.com. ...

test
test ...

test
123 ...

test
this is test news ...

Can't send test message, mail takes a while to send.
This is a strange problem. Was using POP mail happily and without problems on a rented hosting server. I needed to upgrade the server and chose another one from a different company. Having repointed and reset up all the domains I use, I have a weird problem with outlook (2003). When using "Test Email Settings" - everything checks out apart from sending a test message, which seems to time out. When I use it for real email, it works, but the email takes between 10-30 seconds to go - even if its just simple, small, text messages. User/password details on the new machine are diffe...

test #38
test There is a "test" group specifically for this purpose. W. Wells wrote: > test > > ...

Test Possible Performance Gain After DBCC DBREINDEX
Hi, Recently I was asked to reindex on one large database tables - there was a performance issue and we hope rebuild the indexes will help. I ran the DBCC DBREINDEX command for each tables in this database, I also ran EXEC EXEC sp_updatestats to update statistics. We use SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition. After I reindexed the tables, I was asked to test if performance is better than before. I would like to know, if there is some simple query/tool available to help me to test, or confirm that after database table index rebuild, the performance is better or acceptable. I understand a truly s...

testing smart card minidriver
when testing smart card minidriver in windows 7, got the following errors: "cmck exec Reconnect" always show that Testing through CAPI calls Submitting CSP PIN for reader \\.\DMWZ ESAFE 0\ CryptAcquireContext - CRYPT_NEWKEYSET CryptGenKey Reconnecting CryptAcquireContext - CRYPT_DELETEKEYSET CryptAcquireContext failed unexpectedly d:\5429t\testsrc\dstest\security\core\credentials\smartcard\cmck\cmck\fnreconnect.cpp Line: 264 WIN32 0x80090016 Keyset does not exist. in windows xp, it always passed. i have no idea! this is my log. in XP: /* P:608 T:3380 8-30...

Moving exchange 5.5 server to Test Domain
I have a test exchange 5.5 server in our production domain and want to move the server with all its information to our test domain. There is no link between our production domain and test domain, is there anyway this can be done. I did move it but exchange does not start, I think its is to do with the exchange service account, how do i add the new test account as the service account in exchange while there is no link to the production domain. Also can I add the local admin account to the information store service. Please Help. Our domains are windows 2000. "gurvinder.nijjar" &l...

test 07-11-10
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_002B_01CB208F.B6D11900 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_NextPart_001_002C_01CB208F.B6D11900" ------=_NextPart_001_002C_01CB208F.B6D11900 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable This is a test ------=_NextPart_001_002C_01CB208F.B6D11900 Content-Type: text/html; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">...

test
tesdt ...

testing 03-18-08
testing ...

Investor's Knowledge Analysis
Investor's Knowledge Analysis Hello! Please fill out the survey on Investment awareness & knowledge analysis. -- http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?key=pb_z4f1_zGMhaGMOzo4IsPw&email=true Check out this neat website I came across. You can find it here: http://investorline.co.in/blogs/news/?p=850 Thanks for reading! Investorline Services ...

Testing in production (unbelievable!)
I've worked in software development for decades. It's unfathomable that MS would put a change into place without thorough testing. The LIABILITY of doing this in such a way that it impacts the financial transactions of MILLIONS of people adds up to a lot of $$$ very quickly. Know what I mean? This was not, apparently, a "change" in the sense of modifying software code. It was an administrative change in the server environment. These happen all day, every day, in businesses big and small. And some of them don't work out as planned. Many of these are impossible to t...

Source of difficulty of automated testing?
http://www.stickyminds.com/sitewide.asp?ObjectId=6408&Function=edetail&ObjectType=COL I want to be sure that I understand this problem better. Here is what I need to know: Is it possible to design and build custom GUI controls such that even the operating system has no way to determine the state of this control? > I want to be sure that I understand this problem better. Here is what I need to > know: Is it possible to design and build custom GUI controls such that even the > operating system has no way to determine the state of this control? Sure. If you write you o...

SUMIF test for blank/empty cell????
Excel 2000 In common notation, the formula in cell I147 is =SUMIF($F$1:$F$361,F147,$G$1:$G$361) Or in R1C1 notation that I am using =SUMIF(R1C6:R361C6,RC[-4],R1C7:R361C7) The above provide checkbook subtotals by accounting category, where the "accounting category" is entered in Column F (Column 6), and the dollar amount is in Column G (Column 7). The formula works fine so long as there is explicit "accounting category" text in Column F(6), but fails when the cell in column F (6) is blank/empty. Is there any way that I can modify the formula so that it will give the sub...

Testing
Sorry all, just testing my newsgroup server. Thanks Sorry but this is not a test newsgroup. There is at least one newsgroup specifically for placing test postings, testing connectivity with your newsreader, and testing replies to your test postings. Posts in a test newsgroup are intended to expire (not be archived), but mainly so that you do not disrupt usage in working newsgroups. For testing please use news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.test.here For more information on Excel newsgroups see http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/xlnews.htm If you have a serious question,...

test..where are my messages..test

Test Mail...Please Ignore #8
Testing NNTP Client, Please ignore message Thanks ...

test #36
test David <njboys@yahoo.com> wrote: > test Wrong newsgroup. -- Brian Tillman ...

Test #12
This is a test ... ...