Tables in 2007

What are the advantages to converting a list to a table in 2007?  Why does
the table have a name?

I did read in help that you can post a 2007 table to sharpoint services.
What does that mean?
--
Thanks.
Confused

Hi,
Go to the excel help and type Tables then open the one that says Demo:
Organize your data by using an Excel table, and then in How to do it, click
on Overview of Excel Tables

if this helps please click yes, thanks

"Confused" wrote:

> What are the advantages to converting a list to a table in 2007?  Why does
> the table have a name?
>
> I did read in help that you can post a 2007 table to sharpoint services.
> What does that mean?
> --
> Thanks.
> Confused
0
Eduardo (134)
6/30/2009 3:36:01 PM
Thanks for answering.  I found a more indepth discussion at
www.contextures.com.  I am still wondering why you have to go thru the
process of creating a dynamic data source if you use the table name as the
data source.  Do you know why?  Is the name equivalent to an absolute
reference?

Thanks.
Confused

"Eduardo" wrote:

> Hi,
> Go to the excel help and type Tables then open the one that says Demo:
> Organize your data by using an Excel table, and then in How to do it, click
> on Overview of Excel Tables
>
> if this helps please click yes, thanks
>
> "Confused" wrote:
>
> > What are the advantages to converting a list to a table in 2007?  Why does
> > the table have a name?
> >
> > I did read in help that you can post a 2007 table to sharpoint services.
> > What does that mean?
> > --
> > Thanks.
> > Confused
0
Confused1 (124)
6/30/2009 4:21:01 PM
Hi,
the name is equivalent to an absolute reference this is why you add the
offset formula to make it dinamic

"Confused" wrote:

> Thanks for answering.  I found a more indepth discussion at
> www.contextures.com.  I am still wondering why you have to go thru the
> process of creating a dynamic data source if you use the table name as the
> data source.  Do you know why?  Is the name equivalent to an absolute
> reference?
>
> http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot01.html
> --
> Thanks.
> Confused
>

> "Eduardo" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > Go to the excel help and type Tables then open the one that says Demo:
> > Organize your data by using an Excel table, and then in How to do it, click
> > on Overview of Excel Tables
> >
> > if this helps please click yes, thanks
> >
> > "Confused" wrote:
> >
> > > What are the advantages to converting a list to a table in 2007?  Why does
> > > the table have a name?
> > >
> > > I did read in help that you can post a 2007 table to sharpoint services.
> > > What does that mean?
> > > --
> > > Thanks.
> > > Confused
0
Eduardo (134)
6/30/2009 4:29:03 PM
Hi

If you convert a range of data to a Table, then it automatically becomes
dynamic.
You do not need to add any formulae to it at all.

Debra's reference to creating Dynamic Ranges is for versions of Excel that
do not have Table as an option, i.e. prior to XL2007.
If you click on her link on that page
http://www.contextures.com/xlExcelTable01.html
that takes you to a page discussing Tables.

Having done Insert tab>Table, whilst on the Insert tab there is then an
Option to report with a Pivot Table.
This will use the Table you have created as the source.
Any new data you add to your table will then automatically be inserted in
your Pivot Table, when you right click on the PT and choose Refresh
--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Confused" <Confused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for answering.  I found a more indepth discussion at
> www.contextures.com.  I am still wondering why you have to go thru the
> process of creating a dynamic data source if you use the table name as the
> data source.  Do you know why?  Is the name equivalent to an absolute
> reference?
>
> http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot01.html
> --
> Thanks.
> Confused
>

> "Eduardo" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> Go to the excel help and type Tables then open the one that says Demo:
>> Organize your data by using an Excel table, and then in How to do it,
>> click
>> on Overview of Excel Tables
>>
>> if this helps please click yes, thanks
>>
>> "Confused" wrote:
>>
>> > What are the advantages to converting a list to a table in 2007?  Why
>> > does
>> > the table have a name?
>> >
>> > I did read in help that you can post a 2007 table to sharpoint
>> > services.
>> > What does that mean?
>> > --
>> > Thanks.
>> > Confused

0
Roger
6/30/2009 4:43:34 PM
Hi Confused

See also this two articles
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd637097(office.11).aspx

And
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd637097(office.11).aspx

See also the links on the bottom of the pages

--

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

"Confused" <Confused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E8032583-3538-4654-BF38-99371988ED25@microsoft.com...
> What are the advantages to converting a list to a table in 2007?  Why does
> the table have a name?
>
> I did read in help that you can post a 2007 table to sharpoint services.
> What does that mean?
> --
> Thanks.
> Confused
0
rondebruin (3790)

Any reason CurrentDb.TableDefs(0).Connect returns empty sting in Access 2007?
I use the function below to return the server or database name for various uses. However, now that we've switched to 2007 the line CurrentDb.TableDefs(0).Connect which used to return the connection string is returning an empty string. Any ideas? Thanks, Jeremy Function GetConnectionProperty(ServerOrDatabase As String) As String ' Returns name of connected server if "Server" passed in. ' Retuns name of connected Database if "Database" passed in. Dim sConnectionString As String Dim aConnectionPieces() As String Dim sConnectionPiece As String Dim i As ...

Exchange 2007 behind NAT/RPC over HTTP
Hi, I have an Exchange 2007 server behind a NAT router. I want to configure RPC over HTTP (Outlook anywhere) on it. HTTP/HTTPS is working on it as expected (the NAT router forwards ports 443 and 80 to Exchange's internal IP address). I have enabled Outlook Anywhere in the Exch. management console, specified external hostname and clicked the "Basic Auhtentication" checkbox (from what I understand that's required in order to make it work over SSL) - the SSL offloading is not enabled. I'm trying to configure Outlook 2003 to connect to it but I haven't been...

Display Text in the Data Area of a Pivot Table
I would like to simply display text in the data area of a pivot table without summarizing it. For example, take the following database: Date Time Instructor 8/9 8am Jones 8/9 9am Smith 8/10 8am Anderson 8/10 9am Doe ....etc and display it in a pivot table like so: | 8/9 | 8/10 --------------------------------- 8am | Jones | Anderson 9am | Smith | Doe thanks. ...

Increase data type size in GP table?
I don't know whether this is supported or not, but we're planning to roll out the HR module on GP9, and one of the fields that is missing for job applicants is an email address. We'd like to use an extra field to hold this data, but the field length is too short to adequately contain that information. I'm wondering if I can change the length defined in the SQL table structure for that particular column, or, if doing so will likely mess up something else (stored procedures, mappings, etc.). Any thoughts? Thanks in advance! Technically, yes. However, if you do that, you...

Excel 2007 stalling when WiFi on
This has been getting worse and now it is completely unusable! I can't find anything on the 'net other than an unresolved issue (in MS support discussion) where '07 is waay slower than '03! With the WiFi button turned on, clicking on a cell first gets no reaction, clicking more brings on the blue circle, another click brings on the white cast to the whole screen. 'Escape' does not work. Task Manager can remove the program but the results are the same when reopened. I have updated Vista, Office, BIOS and reloaded the Bluetooth driver to no affect. I ha...

Extra Rows in Excel 2007
I recently upgraded to Excel 2007 from 2002, and a lot of the spreadsheets seem to have something extra in the rows below the end of the data. Two examples: 1) I went to the bottom of the data in a spreadsheet and made a new entry. As soon as I hit enter, the spreadsheet started scrolling down and wouldn't stop for a couple of thousand rows. 2) I saved a spreadsheet as a csv file and another application that uses the file started having problems. So I opened the csv file in WordPad and saw a couple of hundred rows of commas. That never happened with Excel 2002. I opened the ...

Table Sort/Filter
Table A User ParameterA ParameterB ParameterC ParameterD ParameterE Jim x x x John x x x Dave x Henry x Jim x John x Dave x Henry x Table B User ParameterA ParameterB ParameterC ParameterD ParameterE Dave x x Henry x x Jim x x x x John x x x x How can I transform table A into Table B, see my earlier post for attachment, (there are no viruses or macros attached to it). I basically want to remove duplicate user names, but preserve and combine the parameter fields. Any hel...

which table Picklist integer value stored?
Hi there, Which database table pick list interger values stored? thanks Kyaw this query will list all the pick list integervalues and attribute name select AttributeName,AttributeValue,Value from StringMap // for account WHERE (StringMap.ObjectTypeCode=1) //for contact WHERE (StringMap.ObjectTypeCode=2) attributename will tell u about the name of the picklist attribute value is the intigers and values are what u can see on the form i think this will help u ...

open excel 2007 refresh query from batch file
Hello all, I have a simple script saved as "C:\refresh_excel.vbs" that opens an Excel file, and does a refresh for a query on Sheet 1. I created a scheduled task to run this every day. It worked fine for previous versions of Excel, but since I have upgraded to Excel 2007 it doesn't work. Any help it helping me figure this out would be appreciated. /*contents of refresh_excel.vbs*/ Set objExcel = CreateObject("Excel.Application") objExcel.Visible = True Set objWorkBook = objExcel.Workbooks.Open("C:\reports\UPS.xls") objWorkbook.Sheets("...

Data format in pivot table
I am running a Pivot table on some swim data. Even though the data is formatted the same way "mm:ss.00", the fraction of the second is not showing up or is not part of the numbers in the Pivot table. Pivot table data Back 25 Breast 25 Fly 25 00:31.00 00:27.00 00:28.00 00:31.00 00:33.00 00:31.00 00:36.00 00:31.00 00:27.00 00:28.00 00:23.00 00:25.00 00:24.00 Data the Pivot table is based on 7 CMSA-SE 00:21.87 00:21.49 6 BMAC-SE 00:22.95 00:21.91 7 BMAC-SE 00:23.13 00:22.16 6 BMAC-SE 00:27.97 00:22.63 8 BMAC-SE 00:21.07 00:22.70 7 UN-SE 00:00.00 00:22.94 6 CMSA-SE 00:26.36 00...

Publisher 2007 Error, Windows Vista
I have an issue using Publisher 2007 on Windows Vista 32bit. When attempting to print (or print preview) the user interface locks up and my only option is to ctl-alt-del. I cannot switch windows, I cannot bring up task manager. The UI still displays updates (outside of Publisher), but I cannot "use" any of the interface except the Windows Security menu via ctl-alt-del. If I attempt a logout I can force Publisher to stop. This is followed by two logged events: --- 1. Source: Office 12, Event ID 5000 The description for Event ID 5000 from source Microsoft Office 12 cannot be ...

Access 2007 and windows 7 12-25-09
Under windows xp and vista. I was using a batch file to compact a database, now under windows 7 it does not work I get an error. EXAMPLE: "c:\Consulting Tracking Program\Consulting Tracking.accdb" /compact Now I get a message box saying that was a problem sending the command to the program. Thanks for the help OD "OD" wrote: > Under windows xp and vista. I was using a batch file to compact a database, > now under windows 7 it does not work I get an error. > > EXAMPLE: > > "c:\Consulting Tracking Program\Consulting Tra...

Project Server 2007
I have a clean install of PS2007 - SP2 on WSS in a small farm environment - DB server on another box. My installation "mostly" works, however, I am receiving an "unknown error" message when I try to edit the RBS. The item gets checked out and the "unknown error" message appears on the top of the page with only the Cancel button available. I've checked the logs and don't see anything obvious, the event logs on both machines aren't showing anything and I'm fairly stumped. Any insight, ideas, things to try would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in adv...

Help with complex table lookup
I have a ranged defined in a spreadsheet that consists of a bunch of values. Some of the cells in the range may be empty. I also have 4 hidden lookup tables at the bottom of my spreadsheet. Using these 4 lookup tables, I know how to use the vector form of the LOOKUP function to determine the following individually: - Given the value in one cell, what is the corresponding "route" (lookup from table 1) - Given the value in one cell, what is the corresponding "set" (lookup from table 2) - Given the value in one cell, what is the corresponding "slot" (lookup from t...

Pre-configuring Pivot table "views"
I need to create several different pivot tables from the same set of data. However, I need to keep switching between the different tables and it quickly becomes a cumbersome process selecting different rows, columns, and sigma values, each time I want to look at a certain pivot table. I know I can create different pivot tables and put them in seperate sheets instead of dynamically updating the same pivot table to get the data I want. I was wondering if there was a way I could preconfigure all these tables and simply "select" one of the "views" so I wouldn't ...

does office 2007 work with windows 7
Ihave a new computer with and want to buy office home & student, will it work with windows 7 Yes -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "jackis" <jackis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AB60EF4E-C0E8-4955-9021-496F7924516A@microsoft.com... > Ihave a new computer with and want to buy office home & student, will it > work > with windows 7 ...

Office 2007 or 2010
If I buy Office 2007 will there be a free or a reduced rate to upgrade to 2010 when it is released or should I wate for 2010 to come out. -- Mbennett I at least have no idea yet and I presume others have not either.MS did not put out the pricing to the public yet -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "mbennett58" <mbennett58@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C80A4A2F-7C46-45A6-9654-DD8DC7778B85@microsoft.com... > If I buy Office 2007 will there...

Inserting an Adobe Illustrator logo into Publisher 2007?
A graphic designer sent me a logo in .ai (Adobe Illustrator) format. When I go to Insert > Object, it inserts something with the filename on it, but not the logo itself. I absolutely cannot get this figured out. How do I get this logo displayed correctly in my document? Thanks. Do you have Illustrator on your computer? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "MadDog" <MadDog@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EFA63883-D066-4A1F-8E08-3B5E498B613F@microsoft.com... >A graphic desig...

Converting to Exchange 2007 -Best Way to Preserve Existing Outlook Rules?
We have Outlook 2003 users who currently have POP3 accounts to a third-party e-mail provider. Some of our users have hundreds of rules in Outlook. We are about to go live with our Exchange 2007 system. What is the best way to preserve each user's rules when they are converted to an Exchange account? I know the rules can be exported but we found that when they are imported they default to client-side only rules. We want server rules to apply and client-side rules to be available. We found that it takes several clicks on each rule to get it to be a server-side rule. Is there an easier w...

compare two tables
For testing purposes I generated (2) identical tables using (2) different methods. Somehow, one table came out with 18 more records. How can I write a query that would generate those 18 extra records? -- TIA On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 22:22:00 -0800, tsison7 <tsison7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >For testing purposes I generated (2) identical tables using (2) different >methods. Somehow, one table came out with 18 more records. > >How can I write a query that would generate those 18 extra records? Create a new Query. Select the "Unmatched Query Wizard". ...

Converting MS query from Excel 2003 to Excel 2007
I have a master spreadsheet that I want to convert to xlsm format. However, I have two other spreadsheets that utilize MS Query to pull data from my master spreadsheet. How can I convert my master spreadsheet without losing the MS queries I have built in the other two spreadsheets? Is there a simple conversion process? I have tried to update the individual ms queries but I keep on getting error messages when I point to my master spreadsheet with the xlsm extension. Thanks. The "problem" with MS-Query and Excel 2007 is that instead of downloading the query to a data...

File in 2007 form
I was trying the Beta Office 2007 and made the mistake of saving one of you Excel file in the new 2007 form. I really need it back in the 2003 form. Problem: due to a variety of issues, I de-installed the Beta version and went back to 2003 but for got about the one file.. So; are there any utilities that anyone knows of the will convert this file back two 2003 form?? It is a simple Excel file, meaning that there are no clever or fancy formula or macros, just a collection of parts and part numbers gathered over MUCH time surfing various web sites. Any help or advise (beside the obvious....

2007 Public Folder Replicas
In my 2007 design I have two boxes with the HT/CAS roles installed and a CCR cluster (which doesn't support public folder replicas apparently). So where will my PF replicas live? Will this require yet another server? ...

Printing postcards from publisher 2007
I have given up on duplexing my postcards with mail merge. I made two separate publications and printed the addresses on one side of the cards. Got that to work. Now I'm trying to print the four pages to the one sheet 8 1/2 x 11. It now prints all four copies, minimized into the upper left 1/4 of the paper. How do I get the program to print my postcards full size? Look at my answer in your earlier post. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Judy Gross" <JudyGross@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6A6D1429-44B0-47A8-ABEB-0C84C2F749F4@microsoft....

2007 Outlook & Word as editor
Just upgraded to Office 2007 (Outlook, Word, Excel, Power Pt ) Windows XP Some user was having random trouble with a yellow font on received and sent e-mails and after a search in outlook general quest answered, tried various fixes. We are watching now to see if OK. Some answers mentioned the editor, so this leads to my question: what does it mean it uses Word as editor? Just Spelling, auto-correct, spacing? What else does Outlook use Word for? Thanks for your time if you use Office 2007, the point is moot for the most part - there is only one editor available when the...