Sum Value using ALT+ENTER

i have enter the record in the row, and inside the cell, i'm using
ALT+Enter to make more line for the record, but i would like to know
how to sum of the value in this cell??
e.g.

C1         C2          C3
R1     1           1           XD
R2     2           2           YY
R3     1                        XY
R3     2           A
R4     3           3

how can i get the value of A = 3, that is the sum of R3C1(1+2)
also, how can i put the dollar sign automatically in cell R3C1 if i'm
using "ALT+ENTER" to make more line.

--
kilianli
kilianli's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=32328

The new line character (Alt + Enter) is changing the number to a text value.
Why don't you just adjust the height of the row.  Click FORMAT in the menu,
select ROW, click HEIGHT and enter the row height value.

You can adjust where the text appears in the larger cell by clicking FORMAT,
select CELLS and then click on the ALIGNMENT tab.  Use the horizontal and
vertical text alignment options to place the text correctly within the cell.

--
Kevin Backmann

"kilianli" wrote:

> i have enter the record in the row, and inside the cell, i'm using
> ALT+Enter to make more line for the record, but i would like to know
> how to sum of the value in this cell??
> e.g.
>
> C1         C2          C3
> R1     1           1           XD
> R2     2           2           YY
> R3     1                        XY
> R3     2           A
> R4     3           3
>
> how can i get the value of A = 3, that is the sum of R3C1(1+2)
> also, how can i put the dollar sign automatically in cell R3C1 if i'm
> using "ALT+ENTER" to make more line.
>

> --
> kilianli
> kilianli's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=32328
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=521136

0
kbackmann (28)
3/10/2006 6:30:31 PM
I'm using more line as the record need to have the list inside, i need
to show out different condition inside the cell. so need to use more
need to list out different.
Any suggestion to me that allow me input a list of condition in the row
???
Kevin B Wrote:
> The new line character (Alt + Enter) is changing the number to a text
> value.
> Why don't you just adjust the height of the row.  Click FORMAT in the
> menu,
> select ROW, click HEIGHT and enter the row height value.
>
> You can adjust where the text appears in the larger cell by clicking
> FORMAT,
> select CELLS and then click on the ALIGNMENT tab.  Use the horizontal
> and
> vertical text alignment options to place the text correctly within the
> cell.
>
> --
> Kevin Backmann
>

> "kilianli" wrote:
>

> > i have enter the record in the row, and inside the cell, i'm using
> > ALT+Enter to make more line for the record, but i would like to know
> > how to sum of the value in this cell??
> > e.g.
> >
> > C1         C2          C3
> > R1     1           1           XD
> > R2     2           2           YY
> > R3     1                        XY
> > R3     2           A
> > R4     3           3
> >
> > how can i get the value of A = 3, that is the sum of R3C1(1+2)
> > also, how can i put the dollar sign automatically in cell R3C1 if
> i'm
> > using "ALT+ENTER" to make more line.
> >

> > --
> > kilianli

> > kilianli's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=32328
> > View this thread:

kilianli
kilianli's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=32328
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=521136

Take Kevin's advice, NEVER mix numbers that need to be calculated with
text..

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

Northwest Excel Solutions

www.nwexcelsolutions.com

(remove ^^ from email address)

Portland, Oregon

"kilianli" <kilianli.24hgen_1142043003.9178@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:kilianli.24hgen_1142043003.9178@excelforum-nospam.com...

> I'm using more line as the record need to have the list inside, i need
> to show out different condition inside the cell. so need to use more
> need to list out different.
> Any suggestion to me that allow me input a list of condition in the row
> ???
> Kevin B Wrote:
>> The new line character (Alt + Enter) is changing the number to a text
>> value.
>> Why don't you just adjust the height of the row.  Click FORMAT in the
>> menu,
>> select ROW, click HEIGHT and enter the row height value.
>>
>> You can adjust where the text appears in the larger cell by clicking
>> FORMAT,
>> select CELLS and then click on the ALIGNMENT tab.  Use the horizontal
>> and
>> vertical text alignment options to place the text correctly within the
>> cell.
>>
>> --
>> Kevin Backmann
>>

>> "kilianli" wrote:
>>

>> > i have enter the record in the row, and inside the cell, i'm using
>> > ALT+Enter to make more line for the record, but i would like to know
>> > how to sum of the value in this cell??
>> > e.g.
>> >
>> > C1         C2          C3
>> > R1     1           1           XD
>> > R2     2           2           YY
>> > R3     1                        XY
>> > R3     2           A
>> > R4     3           3
>> >
>> > how can i get the value of A = 3, that is the sum of R3C1(1+2)
>> > also, how can i put the dollar sign automatically in cell R3C1 if
>> i'm
>> > using "ALT+ENTER" to make more line.
>> >

>> > --
>> > kilianli

>> > kilianli's Profile:
>> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=32328
>> > View this thread:
>> http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=521136
>> >

> --
> kilianli
> kilianli's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=32328
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=521136

0
Peo

Windowsupdate using Intranet?
Is there a way to setup a local server to use as the wundowsupdate site for a large # of pc's, but that has a small pipe to the internet? Try downloading the Software update services onto one server, use that the install onto PC's etc, using Group Policies cheers >-----Original Message----- >Is there a way to setup a local server to use as the >wundowsupdate site for a large # of pc's, but that has a >small pipe to the internet? >. > ...

Copy Userform ListBox AND TextBox values
How can I copy the values from ListBox1 and TextBox2 from the same Userform into the same cell on a worksheet? I have the code to copy either one to the correct location but I need to merge the values from both, seperated by a slash (/). I have tried using the following but it will paste "FALSE" into the appropriate cell: With Target .Value = ListBox1.Value & " / " & .Value = TextBox2.Text 'copies data to column B End With Thanks. -- Traa Dy Liooar Jock Ignore last - I have managed to do it. -- Traa Dy Liooar Jock ...

Excel Data Querry using criteria from Cell
Hello, I have created a data query in Excel using DATA - IMPORT EXTERNAL DATA - NEW DATABASE QUERY and then selecting Access and browsing to an query within an Access database. This query returns all data into excel, but I would like to limit the criteria based on what a user has typed into a cell in the Excel workbook. I thought this could be accomplished by clicking DATA - IMPORT EXTERNAL DATA then PARAMETERS but the PARAMETERS option is grayed out. I can select EDIT CURRENT QUERY, but this just brings me into the Microsoft query, where I don't see any options to query based on...

using button to clear contents
I have finally found out how to add a button but now I am haveing a problem on having the button clear contents in certain cells does anyone know how to do this thanks for your help I do not know any codes for this I'll bet you could learn very quickly by using the macro recorder while you select some cells and edit>clear>contents. Here is a sample for a button from the Control Toolbox Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() ActiveSheet.Range("certain cells").ClearContents End Sub "certain cells" would be your range of cells. Gord Dibben MS Exc...

Using icon sets with relative references
I am using Excel 2007 in the Vista OS. I am trying to use conditional formatting with an icon set in a column but Excel will not allow relative references. Example: A1=10 min B1=20 max C1=30 oh D1=a formula { =IF(C1=0,B1,(B1-C1)) } The condtional formatting of D1 would be: if the value showing in D1 is >B1 the cell would show a red 'X', if the value showing in D1 is <A1 the cell would show a green 'check mark', and if the value showing in D1 is between the values in A1 and B1 it would show a yellow 'exclamation point'. I can get the D1 ...

Absolute Values and Column Insertions
I've created a formula in column A that adds up some cells in column D. Ex: =sum(D3:D6). If I insert one column in front of column D, the formula changes to =sum(E3:E6). This happens even if I change the formula to =sum($D$3:$D$6). I also tried creating a range name called TEST referring to the original $D$3:$D$6 range and the column insertion changed the TEST range definition as well. Is there a way to keep a formula from NOT adjusting to column insertions or deletions? Thanks in advance! Please don't multi-post See answer in other newsgroup -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Mic...

uninstalling microsoft office 2001 value pack
Hi, I already have office 2001 on my machine, and recently installed the value pack. i noticed word became notably slower and so for now i just wish to unistall the value pack. how can i do that cleanly. any ideas why my machine would slow down like that. i still do have 1.2 Gig of hard disk space available. thanks. ...

Chart, lines drop to zero when no data entered
Have several charts that get the data from a master data sheet which gets its data from several other sheets, thus a linked formula is involved. X axis is for Jan - Dec. I only thus far have data for Jan - May. The lines on the charts are fine for Jan - May, but since there is no data in June - Dec, the line drops to zero. It make the production chart look like the person suddenly stopped working. I realize I can erase the formulas but this is not acceptable in that several people, not excel proficient, will be updating their own charts and printing them. I want the line to sto...

Using external email address for AD user
We have certain users that we would like to use an external email address for and give access to resources in the domain. The only solution I have found so far is to create an account they will use for access and then to add a contact so we can send emails and add as a member of DL's. Ideally, I would like to do this without adding 2 separate objects in AD. Is that possible? Hi there, Are you aware that you can create a user and mail-enable them (not mailbox-enable), establishing an external address on the account. It removes the need for both a contact and a user accoun...

Copy a file with only values no formulas
Is there an easy way to copy a workbook so that it only has the values and not the formulas? Thank you. -- Lee Coleman Right click on a sheet tab and select all sheets. Then select all cells on the active sheet. Do a copy, then Edit, paste special, values. Right click on a sheet tab and select ungroup sheets. Save the workbook under a different name!!!! Bob Flanagan Macro Systems http://www.add-ins.com Productivity add-ins and downloadable books on VB macros for Excel "Lee Coleman" <lee@nospam.jjlgreenhouses.com> wrote in message news:OIOx4$FeHHA.4020@TK2MSFTN...

Predicting new Ys given new Xs using known relationship for X and
Hello. I know people have posted similar questions about using an existing relationship between X and Y to predict new Ys given new Xs but I think mine has a slightly different twist. I would appreciate any help that could be offered. I have 20 data points for both X and Y. Each X point represents the number of workers on a farm for a particular year over a 20-year period. Each Y point represents the amount of crop harvest each year over that same period. The data is from 1901 to 1920. When I plot the points and fit an exponential trend line I get a high R-square of .9 . I would li...

HOW IS F3 USED WTH EXAMPLE
hi guys reply me soon 1) In A1 type a number such as 12% 2) With A1 still selected, in the Name box (box to left of Formula Bar) type the word taxrate and press Enter. You must press Enter for this to work! 3) Let's confirm that you have named the cell A1: click on cell D1, now click on cell A1. The name box should not display "taxrate". If not, repeat steps 2 4) In A2 type a number like 100 5) In B2 type =A2* and then tap the F3 key. A dialog box opens, select the entry "taxrate" and click the OK key. Another way is to double click the "taxrate" entry....

How to average a column, but exclude zero AND negative values?
I used the formula of =AVG(IF(A1:A10)<>0,A1:A10)) to exclude just the zero values, but what about zero AND Negative? Thanks!! =AVerage(IF(A1:A10)>0,A1:A10)) Still array entered. KMHarpe wrote: > > I used the formula of =AVG(IF(A1:A10)<>0,A1:A10)) to exclude just the zero > values, but what about zero AND Negative? > > Thanks!! -- Dave Peterson ...

transfer contacts using email
Is it possible to transfer contacts from one machine to another using email? If, yes, what does the receiving person need to do? Many thanks, Frank FJB <FJB0623@aol.com> wrote: > Is it possible to transfer contacts from one machine to another using > email? If, yes, what does the receiving person need to do? Create a new PST (File>Net>Outlook Data File). Now, right-click Contacts and choose Copy. SPecify the new PST as the destination. When the copy completes, right-click the new PST and choose Close. Close Outlook. Rename the PST's file extension to something...

IF String value the....
I am trying to calculate a formula based on the right most character in a cell. For instance if a cell had a entry like Baker T. I want to calculate a formula if the T is there and another if the T is missing. Thanks in advance Hi use =IF(RIGHT(A1,1)="T","do something","something else") -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany jolene wrote: > I am trying to calculate a formula based on the right most character > in a cell. > For instance if a cell had a entry like Baker T. I want to calculate > a formula if the T is there and another if the...

Using Dependents
In a particular instance when I am using the dependents search facility, a small symbol like a table or an Excel sheet appears, (the dependent arrow pointing to it). It's as if it is indicating that some other sheet has data dependednt on the cell. But I can't find any other sheet with dependent data. Double-click the arrow to the sheet symbol and Excel will display the dependent cells -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Zembu" <Zembu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:352631A7-0BF4-451D-8781-669C26270BF6@microsoft....

Functionality lost by using exchange
Our institution recently changed from provider based internet mail (pop3) to letting external mail arrive directly to our exchange 2003 server. The following problem shows up: in the old scenario, groups had 2 mailboxes: one for the group (G) and a private mailbox for the manager (M), each with their own e-mail address. I emulated this by creating a mbx-enabled user G, that is only used for the mailbox, not for login. I gave all group members including M access to that mailbox. But what happens? 1. If a group member sends a mail, the return address is the address of the sender; it should b...

Use query for Row Source?
I attempted to use a combo-box to look-up records on a form. The RowSource query that is generated by the wizard included 2 data fields. I wanted to show only a distinct list of the second, non-key data element (col1). When I changed the RowSource query to SELECT distinct Col1, the combo-box displays nothing. I then created a stored query with the SELECT distinct Col1. They query runs correctly, but when I put in in the RowSource, it displays nothing. Any clue what I could be doing wrong? On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 12:17:03 -0700, JHC wrote: > I attempted to use a combo-box to look-u...

Sum Product Question
I have a spreadsheet with the following columns. Business Group (1, 2, 3) Employee Status (ACTIVE, TERM) Performance Score (1 through 9) Potential Score (1 through 4) I need to figure out the average performance and potential scores fo every cominbation of Business Group and Status. What is the simplest way using SUMPRODUCT to do this? I know will nee mulitple formulas to get this done but I am at a loss particualry ho to count the scores up for a total as some of the data is missing and don't want to count ones where data is missing. Thanks, Ada -- Message posted from http://www....

Can I use MS Groove with my Macbook?
I have students using Groove for their graduate team work and the Mac users are struggling to stay up in my classes. Any advide about the Mac interface with Groove 2007 issues? You will get better results by posting to the groove newsgroup directly On the web: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.groove -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. http://www.microsoft.com/protect "Grooving Professor" <Grooving Profe...

How to use Hotmail with Oulook?
I have managed to check my hotmail email with outlook. I was wondering if there was any way to make hotmail the default, so that I dont have to navigate to the hotmail folder? Can I use outlook's default inbox as the place where all my hotmail will go to? "J. Peterman" <justoNOSPAM316@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:bgvbp1$d3c$1@nnrp.waia.asn.au > I have managed to check my hotmail email with outlook. > I was wondering if there was any way to make hotmail the default, so > that I dont have to navigate to the hotmail folder? Can I use > outlook's defaul...

Using two MS Money accounts on one PC.
I am using MS Money 2003 Standard Edition. Is there any way I can set up accounts for two people on the same computer with the one program without running into problems? TIA. File - Open/New create two files with different names. Mr. Mrs. >-----Original Message----- >I am using MS Money 2003 Standard Edition. Is there any way I can set up >accounts for two people on the same computer with the one program >without running into problems? TIA. >. > Besides the information already posted, use shortcuts to the two different files to start the application as starting Mone...

dafault value for date not working with Date() but Now() is workin
Got a table with existing data, with simple date field on a form that I want to default to todays date. I have tried inputting the Date() into the table default value for the date, but I get an error that says "Unknown function in 'Date' in validation expression or default value on 'Data.date'. Data is the table name. If I enter Now() into the default value for date, it works just fine. But, the reports that are generated, don't show the records with the date and time in them. I can go back to the table and manually delete the time from those records...

Display nothing in a cell if value = 0
I have a range of cells formatted to display numbers in currency format. They have a formula applied to them so if the value of the Cell is nothing I get �0.00 showing. I would rather that nothing was shown in these instances. How is this achieved? Thanks Dom Couple of ways, use conditional formatting and display with a white font if the value is zero change the display option to suppress zeroes, Tools>Options>General and uncheck the Zero Values option. -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks (remove nothere from the email address if mail...

Portfolio market value report over time
The Portfolio Manager shows a Market Value at the bottom of the screen. I can change the "As of" date near the top of the screen and the Market Value will show the value as of that date. I would love to run a report that shows the Market Value for a user specified range of dates, with a selectable granularity of day/week/month/year, etc. Is there such a report? In microsoft.public.money, cgunther wrote: >The Portfolio Manager shows a Market Value at the bottom of the screen. I >can change the "As of" date near the top of the screen and the Market Value >...