Subtracting One Sum From Another

I have a very simple and basic question, but I'm just learning Excel,
so please bear with me.  The situation as follows:

I have a simple spread sheet, columns C, E, and G are input, outgo,
and balance (In that order)

The first four (4) rows are no problem, simple add C to previous G for
Balance.

Then when I go to do output it's basically the same, g5 is G4 minus e5

My question: What is the formula I need enter only once for the
Balance column? Disregard the first four rows.  I'm entering each cell
individually =sum(e5-g4)  =sum(g5-e6)  etc.  It really is a bummer
entering all the individual cell formulae.

I appreciate any assistance, and I apologize for the length of the
post. Again, I'm just learning.

BTW: For those who answer questions with a standard "RTFM", I don't
have TFM.

TIA

0
down1 (1)

Hi. I'm sorry I don't understand the pattern here; is it a typo?
=sum(e5-g4)  =sum(g5-e6)
Perhaps you need:
=g4+c5-e5
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"R. U. Sirius" <down@thestn.org> wrote in message
>I have a very simple and basic question, but I'm just learning Excel,
> so please bear with me.  The situation as follows:
>
> I have a simple spread sheet, columns C, E, and G are input, outgo,
> and balance (In that order)
>
> The first four (4) rows are no problem, simple add C to previous G for
> Balance.
>
> Then when I go to do output it's basically the same, g5 is G4 minus e5
>
> My question: What is the formula I need enter only once for the
> Balance column? Disregard the first four rows.  I'm entering each cell
> individually =sum(e5-g4)  =sum(g5-e6)  etc.  It really is a bummer
> entering all the individual cell formulae.
>
> I appreciate any assistance, and I apologize for the length of the
> post. Again, I'm just learning.
>
> BTW: For those who answer questions with a standard "RTFM", I don't
> have TFM.
>
> TIA

0
ng1 (1444)
9/27/2005 6:23:39 AM
Select the cell in which you have the formula: =sum(e5-g4)
Move your cursor to the bottom right of the cell, and it will
become a black cross, when it is a black cross, left-click and drag
the cursor down the column as far as you want the formula copied.

This is called copying down.

Hope this is what you require.

George Gee

R. U. Sirius wrote:
> I have a very simple and basic question, but I'm just learning Excel,
> so please bear with me.  The situation as follows:
>
> I have a simple spread sheet, columns C, E, and G are input, outgo,
> and balance (In that order)
>
> The first four (4) rows are no problem, simple add C to previous G for
> Balance.
>
> Then when I go to do output it's basically the same, g5 is G4 minus e5
>
> My question: What is the formula I need enter only once for the
> Balance column? Disregard the first four rows.  I'm entering each cell
> individually =sum(e5-g4)  =sum(g5-e6)  etc.  It really is a bummer
> entering all the individual cell formulae.
>
> I appreciate any assistance, and I apologize for the length of the
> post. Again, I'm just learning.
>
> BTW: For those who answer questions with a standard "RTFM", I don't
> have TFM.
>
> TIA

In addition to George's helpful instructions note that the SUM is
superfluous in your formula just E5-G4 will do what you want.

--
HTH

Sandy
sandymann@mailinator.com
Replace@mailinator with @tiscali.co.uk

"George Gee" <georgegradwell@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> Select the cell in which you have the formula: =sum(e5-g4)
> Move your cursor to the bottom right of the cell, and it will
> become a black cross, when it is a black cross, left-click and drag
> the cursor down the column as far as you want the formula copied.
>
> This is called copying down.
>
> Hope this is what you require.
>
> George Gee
>

> R. U. Sirius wrote:
>> I have a very simple and basic question, but I'm just learning Excel,
>> so please bear with me.  The situation as follows:
>>
>> I have a simple spread sheet, columns C, E, and G are input, outgo,
>> and balance (In that order)
>>
>> The first four (4) rows are no problem, simple add C to previous G for
>> Balance.
>>
>> Then when I go to do output it's basically the same, g5 is G4 minus e5
>>
>> My question: What is the formula I need enter only once for the
>> Balance column? Disregard the first four rows.  I'm entering each cell
>> individually =sum(e5-g4)  =sum(g5-e6)  etc.  It really is a bummer
>> entering all the individual cell formulae.
>>
>> I appreciate any assistance, and I apologize for the length of the
>> post. Again, I'm just learning.
>>
>> BTW: For those who answer questions with a standard "RTFM", I don't
>> have TFM.
>>
>> TIA

0
sandymann2 (1054)

Autofilter
Hi, I'm using one excel document with Data >- Filter >- Autofilter function. I'd like to put autosum command but it doesn't work with autofilter's columns. Please help. Have you try to use =subtotal(9,range) "Dan" <dan_REMOVE_@ihson.com> ���g��l��s�D:O0fqZzW0GHA.3568@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > Hi, > I'm using one excel document with Data >- Filter >- Autofilter function. > I'd like to put autosum command but it doesn't work with autofilter's > columns. > > Please help. > "bobocat" <bobo.c...

Running Sum
How do I calculate a running total for specific functions? My example is as follows A B C D E F 1 Function: Email Phone Email Faxing Prepping 2 Start Time: 4:25 PM 6:15 AM 6:30 AM 7:05 AM 7:50 AM 3 End Time: 5:05 PM 6:25 AM 6:35 AM 7:30 AM 8:00 AM 4 Total Time(min): 40 10 5 25 10 In another Cell, for example B6, I want to total up the total time of all Email (B4+D4), Phone, Faxing, Prepping etc. The user is picking from a ...

Summing two columns
Hi I have values in two columns, A and B in a single worksheet. I want to multiply values in column A with the inverse order of values in column B and add them and put the results in column C. For example at C1, I want to have A1*B1, at C2, A2*B1+A1*B1, at C3, A3*B1+A2*B2+A1*B3 and at C4, A4*B1+A3*B2+A2*B3+A1*B4, etc. How can I accomplish this job with SUMPRODUCT or VBA and fill that column automatically. Any help is welcome. Thanks HI, Here is an inelegant subroutine Option Base 1 Function doit(N, rangeA As Range, rangeB As Range) Dim tempA(10), tempB(10) j = 1 For Each cell In rang...

Gridview control to XML only want one column ???

Referencing a cell from another worksheet
I am in cell F5 of worksheet "January" and am trying to get it to display what is in cell B1 of worksheet "Sheet1" within the same workbook. For some reason it won't show the value, it just shows me the formula i've typed in. I tried: ='Sheet1'!B1 (which i have in another document and it's working fine) ='Sheet1!'B1 =Sheet1!B1 Help! Occasionally Excel can be stubborn that way. Try an alternative method of entering the formula. Within teh cell where the formula is type the "=" then navigate to the worksheet and cell ...

drop down box leading to another drop down box
I have a cell containing a drop down box with three options. Can i design my worksheet so that when one option is selected a drop down box in the neighbouring cell appears with a number of options in it? Each of the original 3 options in the first drop down box needs to lead to a different list in the second drop down box, though the options can be repeated. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks stumakker, have a look here and see if this will work for you, http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal02.html -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any r...

How does one restrict the number of times a sales invoice can be returned
How do I restrict the number of times my cashiers can return a sales invoice. Currently, RMS has no limit to the number of times a sales invoice can be returned. Please advise. Regards, Don Hi Don, think the only way to do this is by a personalized add-on, that would count the number of times an sales invoice have been returned. When the count will pass the preconfigured limit-number, this add-on could block the continuation of the return process. You need a Partner to develop this for You, don't think it's too dificult. Try to find a Microsoft RMS Partner in your area an...

Transposing information from one sheet of a workbook to another
I'm trying to transpose information (names) from one worksheet to another within the same workbook. I can do it on the same worksheet by using the = sign then clicking on the box that i want to transpose. However when I attempt to do this in another worksheet I get an error that says #value. Any suggestions select the range you need, click copy, select the first cell on the other workbook you want the info in, click edit/paste special and check the transpose box. then ESC to clear the copy mode. "mjano25" wrote: > I'm trying to transpose information (names) f...

Maintain PO Line item number sequence when one is deleted.
Once a PO is printed (released), if a line item is deleted, all subsequent line item numbers are resequenced. I would prefer they are not resequenced to maintain accurate history and to all me to tell the vendor that line item 13 was deleted. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree"...

How does one CENTER images, text boxes etc., on a PAGE?
I have not been able to find the feature that centers all images or selected images, taxt boxes, etc., on a page. Secondly, I have noticed that if the content of one page are copied on to another page, the copied sontent is not placed in the exactly same location as the copied material. W#hy does this happen and how can it be fixed? I am using Publisher 2003 and 2002. The problem seems to related to both versions. After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from Stevk <stevk@idirect.com>... > I have not been able to find the feature that centers all images ...

Automate another app
I have been programming in VB (classic) for many years and am quite familiar with how I would accomplish this in that enviornment. However I just started using C# and have no clue. For starters in VB I would start the other application by calling the Shell function. Then to actually control the other app I would first locate the window handle for controls I wanted to interact with using Win32 APIs which allow me to retrieve the hWnd for a window given its ControlID (gathered from Spy++). I would then use the SendMessage API (with the appropriate message constant) to enter text in edi...

Two Forms One Record
Hi! Im a beginner in access. I have two forms (BirthCertificate and BirthCertificate2) that share one recordset(?) --> one row in a table . I separated them due to many fields. I have a command button that opens the other form but I want it to open on same page as the first page on my first form -- like continuing to type on a table.. The code should read something like (untested): DoCmd.OpenForm "Your second form" ,,, "PrimaryKey = " & Me.txtPK where "Your second form" is the name of the second form PrimaryKey is the name of that key in your table txtP...

Rank items, select one start date, have remaining dates follow based on rank
I have a list of projects. I have one start date. Each project has a varying amount of time to complete. I want the user to rank the projects based on importance (example when it will ship) and then, based on the individual times required to complete the rest of the projects, excel will automatically generate start and complete dates for the remaining projects. Need to know how to do this. -- rob normerica ------------------------------------------------------------------------ rob normerica's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26316 View this t...

getting data from one sheet to another
I am working on a labor chart. The first sheet has the names and day of the week. I have them formatted to just put in the number of hours and it figures pay. There are 4 different job descriptions and at the bottom of each day, it totals the dollars spent for labor on that day. My second sheet has sales and will divide the cost of labor by sales and give me a percentage. On the second page, how can I get the total dollars in labor for each catagory from sheet one to a certain cell on sheet 2 without manually entering it. I know it can be done as I have seen it before Assuming the da...

Copying daily data from one tab to a weekly summary table
I have been working on this for a little while now and can't seem to grasp the right formula to use. I have columns of data sorted by name to be tracked daily. I need to then give my boss the information so she can not only see it daily and monthy which I have figured out - but wants to see weekly as well and thats where im stumped. The formula I am using to get the week number populated works great and is =WEEKNUM(Table1[[#This Row],[Ddate]]) What I need to do is get totals from "Table2" to "Table3" into a weekly format instead of daily. So in esse...

Modifier
We recently acquired Modifier and have successfully modified acouple of forms (making fields required) and have added some VBA code to another window. Now I am attempting to modifiy another window, specifically the Purchasing Invoice Entry window. However, when I make this my current window and then go to Tools - Customize - Modify Current Window, I get the following message, "The Modifier is currently unavailable because another user is editing resources in the Forms Dictionary." I have tried it with other windows as the current window and get the same message. Similarly, ...

Merging Multiple Rows into One Row
I currently have a project of about 11,000 rows that essentially should be about 3,300 rows. the data is looks something like this: Company Mon Tues Wed ABC 24 ABC 32 ABC 16 I would like it to look like this: Company Mon Tues Wed ABC 24 32 16 Is there an easy way to merge the unneeded cells and make it one row instead of three for the same company? Thanks micahjday@gmail.com wrote: > I currently have a project of about 11,000 rows that essentially > should be ab...

Using a range in Sum Function
I have run across an oddity in Exel 2010 Trial Edition. If I define a range to be cells c1, d1, f1 and g1 using the Name Manager and then put the following in another cell: =Sum(range name), the function returns the proper value. BUT, each time I open the worksheet after just viewing it (not changing anything), Excel asks me if I want to save the changes. I didn't make any changes so why should it ask me that? Is there a solution to this? Thank you. Do you have something in a header or footer that deals with current time or date? -- JoAnn Paules MVP M...

Problem with the Outlook interface on one client
We have problem with the outlook interface on one of our computers. The user gets blank windows when he is going into a specific card in MS CRM (like contact, account, task and so on) Lists work fine. This problem occurs after he has been using Outlook for a while. The problem never occur in the webinterface and if he restart outlook it also works fine, but only for a while... Does anyone have any idea? Sounds like a strange problem. I would try: 1. Clear the IE temp files 2. Repair the CRM Outlook Client and apply latest update rollup Good luck. Frank Lee, Microsoft Dynamics CRM MVP...

another Exchange question ... two SMTP domains in one AD domain
I have a test environment with two standard edition Exchange 2003 servers in one mixed mode Windows 2003 Active Directory domain. Each Exchange server has its own SMTP domain -- say a.company.com for Exchange Server A and b.company.com for Exchange Server B. The users are only going to use Exchange Server A or B depending on their physical location in proximity to the server. Exchange Server A and B are also domain controllers, where Exchange Server A is the global catalog server. When I add a user to AD, they get user@a.company.com and user@b.company.com as email addresses. I can delete ...

multiply one text box on report by a value
I have a report with some calculated fields that produce a sum of values in a query this is achieved by =-DSum("[xxxxxx]","[anotherfieldxxx]") I need to multiply this by another value(i.e. 20.00 dollars and can't get this to work not sure why > achieved by =-DSum("[xxxxxx]","[anotherfieldxxx]") Your DSum expression does not look correct to me. What does the "[xxxxxx]" part represent. It should be the name of a field. The next part, "[anotherfieldxxx]", should be the name of a table or query (the Domain). All domain aggr...

More than one e-mail inbox
I've set-up my various e-mail accounts and would prefer the new messages received by each to go their own e-mail inbox. I've set-up the inboxes and the "pst" file but when I try to change where the incoming e-mail goes it changes it for ALL my e-mail accounts. Is there any way around this? I've assigned a different "pst" file to each inbox and that works but the area in set-up where you choose which inbox incoming mail goes to just won't let me assign different places - it just wants it all to go to my default inbox. Does this make sense to anyone ...

one computer to another
I have just purchased a new computer. How do I transfer my old outlook files to the new computer? Running XP Home Check this page for all you need to know: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm -- Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr **I apologize but I am unable to respond to direct requests for assistance. Please post questions and replies here in the newsgroup. Mahalo! "dave.rod@sbcglobal.net" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:02d501c39f3c$bb253da0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I have just purchased a ne...

Summing within a Cell
Hi, I have some cells that look like this: $10 red $4 Blue $13 Silver Is there a way to sum the dollar values while ignoring the text? Thanks, Tom One way .. Assuming source data in A2:A4 Put in say, A1: =SUMPRODUCT(--MID(A2:A4,2,SEARCH(" ",A2:A4)-1)) Note that source data is assumed representative (as posted) throughout the range to be summed, otherwise we'd get #VALUE! -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 xdemechanik --- "Frank Price" wrote: > Hi, > > I have some cells that look like this: > > $10 red > $4 Blue > $1...

sum across worksheets conditionally
I have about 50+ worksheets in a file that I need to sum. However, I only want to sum some of the sheets if it meets a certain criteria. This criteria is located in a separate worksheet in the file that lists each worksheet name in one column and in the next column it list the type of worksheet. If a worksheet is of a certain type I need the sum of those types. Celia http://boisgontierjacques.free.fr/fichiers/Matriciel/Sum3DCond.xls Named range cond $H$2:$H$8 nf $G$2:$G$8 nfCond =3DOffSet($J$2,,,CountIf($J$2:$J$12,"><"&"")) =3DSumProd...