subtract column right from column left in excel?

How do I do entire columns with the same function, like subtraction?
I have excel 2003.
0
Muffin1 (1)

Question is unclear, please expand on what you want to do
best wishes

--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Muffin" <Muffin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I do entire columns with the same function, like subtraction?
> I have excel 2003.

0
bliengme (657)
6/17/2009 11:45:06 AM
Hi,
if what you mean is each row

=B1-A1

if you mean the whole column

=sum(B1:B60000)-sum(A1:A60000)

"Muffin" wrote:

> How do I do entire columns with the same function, like subtraction?
> I have excel 2003.
0
Eduardo (134)

Excel 2003 radar chart
It appears that while the radar plot can accept thousands of data points, it is only capable of displaying a maximum of 360 discrete circumferential point locations. If I plot a single series of 3600 data points (one point for every 1/10 degree) with constant Y values, each single plotted point on the chart consists of ten overlaying markers. What causes this limitation, and more importantly, is there a way to overcome it? Hi, Even with only 360 points the axis lines are almost a solid colour. So I guess MS decided that 360 is probably more than enough for a radar chart. What sort of ...

HELP!! Excel and PowPnt crash on startup in Office vx under 10.3.2
I'm getting crashes in Excel and PP whenever I try to run them. I'm running Panther 10.3.2 and have updated everything I can. Any suggestions? Thanks, Dan Dan Gordon <gojet@jetpropics.com> wrote: Hi Dan, > I'm getting crashes in Excel and PP whenever I try to run them. I'm > running Panther 10.3.2 and have updated everything I can. > Any suggestions? Try going to the preference folder in your user account and in the Microsoft folder, delete the Carbon registration database and the Office 10 font cache. These two files will be automatically re-create...

I need to alphabetize entire excel document.
Please let me know the best way to do this. Thanks!! Select your range data|sort debcmk3 wrote: > > Please let me know the best way to do this. > > Thanks!! -- Dave Peterson ...

Filling out Excel Form
How do I make filling out an Excel Form easy? I have locked and unlocked the fileds that need to be filled out. But when I go in to the document I would like the person who is going to fill out the form to automatically start filling out the form in the first field, then jump to the second filed, then the third etc. How do I set up that B2 is the first filed, E3 the second field etc. THANKS ...

Search Engine in an Excel SpreadSheet
Is there any way to include a search engine in a spreadsheet? I would like the user to enter a word into a cell and maybe click on a button to search the workbook much in the way a web search works? Thanks in advance Gary Try this. Right click sheet tab>view code>copy/paste this>SAVE>type search text into cell a1 of that sheet. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If Target.Address <> "$A$1" Then Exit Sub For Each ws In Worksheets With ws.Cells Set c = .Find(Target, LookAt:=xlWhole) If Not c Is Nothing Then firstaddress = c....

Locating an Excel combo box range
I am working on modifying a project in excel someone else completed. The project contains several "combo boxes" or what I call drop-down boxes. I've learned through looking in the "format control box" that the list sets for these drop down menus are taken from a specific range somewhere in the project. However I am unable to locate where this range is. The project contains 2 tabs or sheets which contain no sign of the range used for these drop down menus. The range for one of them is "rates!$O$10:$O$14". There is nothing that even resembles a table or sheet la...

Print out is different from Print Preview for a Multi-Column report
I've created a multi-column report that prints labels in the first column of each page. Everything looks fine on the screen when I print preview. However when I print out the report, the labels do not print out on the first page but the rest of the pages are fine. Can anyone out there help me? The VBA code is below. Private Sub Detail_Format(Cancel As Integer, FormatCount As Integer) Dim i As Integer If (Me.Left = 720 Or Me.Left = 1800) And Me.Page > Me.NewPage.Caption Then Me.NextRecord = False For i = 1 To 24 Me("b" &a...

customized field not displaying as a column choice in SmartList
We were sent the package file and sql scripts to add a customized field (Budget ID) to the Purchasing Item Detail Entry form by our VAR. My question is - how do you make that customized field visable in SmartList? The users requested this field so that they would be able to search PO's by the Budget ID. Of course, I assigned the security rights to the modified form, but that does not make it display as a column available to be used in a search in SmartList. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated! Patti, Unless adding this field to a built-in SmartList was part of the ...

excel #103
How do I add hours and minutes? The Admiral wrote: > How do I add hours and minutes? To what? Just format the c ells as time and add them . -- HTH ------- Bob Phillips "The Admiral" <The Admiral@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3F881D7F-CE70-403D-82D8-2AD41F7C0BF1@microsoft.com... > How do I add hours and minutes? Times are stored as a fraction of a 24-hour day (06:00 = 0.25, 12:00 = 0.5, 18:00 = 0.75, etc), so you can add them as you would ordinary numbers. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consul...

Problems Closing Excel #2
I have a co-worker who has "lost" the X in the right-hand corner of hi title bar, which is used to close Excel. He can still use File, Close but it is rather annoying that he must use this longer method o shortcut keys (i.e. Alt F4). The X is grayed out, showing that it is not an active option. Is ther any way he can change this so he can begin using the X to close ou again? Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Maybe this is your problem ceblaser http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;260199&Product=xlw XL: Close Button Is Dimmed Aft...

Excel Chart Problem!!! (Bug I think)
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_00B9_01C93A2D.3C166610 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Try the folloing. 1. Open Excel. 2. Paste the following data A B C D E F=20 2008 10 20 30 40 0 10=20 3. Menu Insert/Pie (select the first Pie type) 4. Right Click one of the top of any part of the circle/Format Data = Series 5. Click Shadow and move any of the slides on the right.=20 See what happend on the chart. The problem is that the ZERO generates a full circle and you can drag = and ...

Can I prevent Excel converting to date format?
I was wondering if there was a setting or any way to prevent Excel from converting certain numbers to dates. e.g. 11/7 will be converted automatically to 11/07/2005. This appears as 11-Jul in the cell. This problem also happens with 11-7. This is very annoying because it would appear that there is actually no way of having two numbers (which happen to be low enough numbers to be dates) separated by a forward slash or a hyphen. Has anyone found a solution to this problem yet? If you're typing these values into the cell, you can either prefix them with a leading apostrophe: '11/7 ...

Excel Image not displayed when the physical file is N/A
Hello there, I'm having a problem on images that's generated from excel. I'm using the url method to generate the excel file and I'm aware that the images are stored in a physical location and the images won't be able to be displayed if the physical file is not available. I'm able to display the images out when the excel report is generated; however, when we save it as the default xls extension file, and open it in another location, the images are not displayed, as only the physical file path is being stored in the excel file. I've tested it on a c...

Is this the right group for and OWA (but possibly Exchange) related question?
Gurus, Is this the right group for and OWA (but possibly Exchange) related question? -- Spin No, OWA is an Exchange question. Nikki "Spin" <Spin@invalid.com> wrote in message news:6f30kqF8i8flU1@mid.individual.net... Gurus, Is this the right group for and OWA (but possibly Exchange) related question? -- Spin Spin <Spin@invalid.com> wrote: > Is this the right group for and OWA (but possibly Exchange) related > question? microsoft.public.exchange.clients -- Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] ...

Data grid customization in asp.net (c#)+Template column
pls ., i expecting from all of u even if least answers..... Problem Is : in Datagrid we are adding two bound columns (ID,Name). and two Template Columns TemplateColumn1 - Textbox column for editing the name field. templatecolumn2 - checkbox column for selecting the row to delete. In template column1 we set the textbox value with the bound columns name ie(Name Field). while click on edit button, the whole datagrid will show the the template edit textbox with the value of name. After editing the text in template column, we are updating the value. for that we are fetching the v...

Excel PivotTable sort of dates
I have used pivot tables quite a bit in the last year. I have a pivot table with dates and can't get the sorting to work the way I would like. I want it to sort in ascending or descending order, but it is sorting like this: 9/19/2005 9/2/2005 9/20/2005 9/21/2005 9/23/2005 9/3/2005 9/4/2005 I have tried formatting the data source, and it is formatted using the mm/dd/yyyy format. Can anyone help? I would even be willing to send you the excel workbook if needed. Thanks. Todd Excel is probably seeing the dates in the source table as text. There are some techniques here that you c...

default shapes in excel 2007
Hello Is it possible to change the default shape formatting in excel 2007 for using it in another 'session'. When I add a shape to a sheet the fill is blue an the line (also blue) is 2 pt. When I change this to the shape I want I can set it as the default shape but only for the current session. Is it possible to set the format from the default shapes to the shapes you want for using them any time or is it possible to create a macro for this? Thanks in advance Kind regards Al Hi, It seem that setting the default applies to the current workbook, not the current session. Ho...

Removing duplicate cells/rows in excel
I have a spreadsheet with 1,000 rows. Each row has a persons name (e.g. James J Smith) as the first cell. There are multiple entries for a single person (e.g. James J Smith). The first entry found is the one with the latest data. I need to remove all the duplicate rows for a single person so that I end up with one entry per person that is the first one found in the spreadsheet. What is the best way of doing this? Hi Joe, A macro would probably be the most efficient way, though would could do it manually using an oldest>newest sort and conditional formatting to highlight duplicates and...

in mail merge how do i convert currency from excel to word
I have a spreadsheet that uses currency. When I mail-merge into Word document, the currency doesn't convert correctly. For example the $ sign does not come across, the diget 0 does not convert if its the last digit (i.e. in excel $20.50 - converts to Word in mail merge as 20.5) and if the currency does not end in 0, it converts with 4 digits after decimal point (i.e. $20.51 converts to 20.5142). Use a numeric switch in your merge fields within Word. See "Numeric Picture (\#) field switch" in Word Help. In article <75E7DB36-9A8D-4C41-8935-5FF099A01F84@microsoft.com>...

convert from excel xmlmap export format to dataset?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0010_01C62112.21A72D50 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi - I'm fairly new to manipulating xml and I have an excel workbook and = on one of the sheets is apparently a listobject... using it's = xmlmap.export function I get an xml file that looks like this (truncated = of course, you get the idea): <?xml version=3D"1.0" encoding=3D"UTF-8" standalone=3D"yes"?> <ns1:TransactionDetails xmlns:ns1=3D"urn:Microso...

SUMIF() to add cells in non-contiguous ranges? (Excel 2003)
I have a bunch of columns with dollar values. I want to add the sum of all the values for rows that meet a single condition. If possible, I'd like to create a named a range that includes all the non-contiguous dollar value columns and use a single SUMIF(). In my test, I named this range DOLLARS. The formula =SUM(DOLLARS) does work fine and adds up ALL the values. To test the SUMIF(), I set up a column (named range "decision") with yes/no values. I get a #VALUE error when I try the formula =SUMIF(decision,"=yes",dollars). I looked at some of the po...

Selected column in Datagrid
Is there a way to find out which column is selected/highlighted in datagrid? I tried using "SelLeft" but it always gave me "1". Thanks in advance. "lwidjaya" <lwidjaya@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C8128997-9507-4CBC-8734-4486F5B371EA@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to find out which column is selected/highlighted in > datagrid? > I tried using "SelLeft" but it always gave me "1". > > Thanks in advance. Do you mean a listbox, or a continues form, or a 3rd party data grid control? SelLeft was nev...

Cannot open the DBF created from the SaveAs option of Excel #2
Hi, I have an Excel sheet with 150 columns and 8 rows of data, when I use the SaveAs option under the File menu of Excel with Type DBF4, it creates the dbf file with no errors. But when I try to open the file from VFP, it indictaes the following error and cannot be opened. "Table 'H:\Book11.dbf' has become corrupted. The table will need to be repaired before using again." But if I reduce the width of the columns in the Excel and then save it as a DBF, it is possible to opend the table even with 150 columns from VFP. The limit in VFP is a max. of 254 fields and max. no. of c...

opened client excel document. Lost fill colors. Help!?
Have Excel 2003. Liked my fill colors. Opened client document from email. Lost my fill colors. Can I get them back? ...

Open an Excel file via a script and Run a macro
I wish to open an Excel file via a script and run a specified macro, then save the file at a certain time each day. I looked up the Microsoft site and found the code below which Opens all files in a directory, runs a macro on all then closes. It pretty much does what I want except I just have one specified file, problem is I'm not sure what part of the code I change, I just can't work it out. Hope someone can help Important information I guess is Path where file exists: T:\2008\sean\my documents\Daily Report.xls (this is a mapped drive on my PC) Macro name: CompileReport Code from ...