splitting one column into two columns ... not what you think

i have fixed column widths that can't be changed; nor can any other columns
be added to the worksheet ...

i've got data in one column that represents "results" ... within the results
column though, i need two columns (starting directly below the "results"
cell, one that reads "in range" and that other that reads "out of range" ...
so:

if i'm on [column a] [cell 1] i want: "results" ... in [column a] [cell 2] i
want: "in range" AND "out of range" with a line down the middle.  "text to
column" is not what i want here ... at least i've tried that and i come up
with 2 separate columns ... I WANT ONE COLUMN WIDTH THAT'S DIVIDED BY A
SINGLE LINE.  please help!
0
umn (1)

You cannot split a column into two columns.

You could dork about with the drawing toolbar and draw a line between the
words in a cell but that's a lotta fiddly work.

You could use the "Pipe" symbol between the words?

But, if you can't change column widths or add more columns you are kinda
stuck.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 16:33:01 -0800, umn <umn@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>i have fixed column widths that can't be changed; nor can any other columns
>be added to the worksheet ...
>
>i've got data in one column that represents "results" ... within the results
>column though, i need two columns (starting directly below the "results"
>cell, one that reads "in range" and that other that reads "out of range" ...
>so:
>
>if i'm on [column a] [cell 1] i want: "results" ... in [column a] [cell 2] i
>want: "in range" AND "out of range" with a line down the middle.  "text to
>column" is not what i want here ... at least i've tried that and i come up
>with 2 separate columns ... I WANT ONE COLUMN WIDTH THAT'S DIVIDED BY A
>SINGLE LINE.  please help!

0
Gord

Replicate column info 01-25-08
Hi- I had a question earlier about replicating columns for a project I'm doing. There is one column that has the info being pulled from a form. Another column in the same table needs to pull in the same information. In excel you would use the equals sign to pull the same info. How would you do that in access? Thanks in advance You would never do this in a relational database. If you want to see the column twice on a form or report, just bind a second control to the same field. In the case of a query, you would never do this unless you were creating a query that was to be used t...

Vb code working one time
Hi, I have a form for adding data to a table. In this form , there is a command button for adding those data and it has the following code: Private Sub Command22_Click() On Error GoTo Err_Command22_Click If IsNull(Me.Combo28) = True Then MsgBox "You Must Select a S.O.Processor First.", vbCritical, "No Processor Selected..." Me.Combo28.SetFocus ElseIf IsNull(Me.CONTRACT_NO) = True Then MsgBox "You Must Input a Contract No. First.", vbCritical, "No Contract No. Input..." Me.CONTRACT_NO.SetFocus ElseIf IsNull(Me.CONTRACTOR) = True Then ...

Combined charts
"How do I change the format of a data series in a chart from a line to a column?" On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 06:26:10 -0800, Kurt Bonner = <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > "How do I change the format of a data series in a chart from a line to= a = > column?" Select the data series by clicking on it. On the menu, click Chart | = Chart type | select a column chart. If you do this as instructed (i.e. = with the data series selected), only the selected data series will = change. The other data series will remain as before. -- = Dave dvt at psu do...

Comparing columns
Hi, Can somebody please advise me on how to do the following in Excel: Compare a set of values (text) in column A with a set of values (text) in column B (no necessarily in line with each other) and output any differences to any of the following: - Column C - Another worksheet in the same workbook - a text file Thanks Andy Hi, When you say you want to see the output (wherever it is to go) - what output are you looking for? If the data in two columns is to be cross matched, you will possibly end up with a number of scenarios of matches, non-matches on same row, different rows and possib...

Change Preset Columns
My columns have 1,2,3, etc., how do I change them back to ABC,etc?? Its under Tools, Options, General Tab, uncheck R1C1 reference box. "Bernie" wrote: > My columns have 1,2,3, etc., how do I change them back to ABC,etc?? ...

Adding A New Column
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I was emailed a document that is made up of columns and rows. I would like to add one more column and extend the rows into that new column. How do I create that one extra column and extend the rows into it? <br> thanks. It depends on what the "columns & rows" actually are. If it's a Table just click in the column you want the new one next to then go to Table> Insert> Column to the Left or Column to the Right. The new column will have the same number of rows as the other column...

Select distinct with anonymous type return error when one value is null
Hi, How can i do this query with anonymous types; SELECT DISTINCT IdTable2, Name FROM Table1 WHERE idTable2 != null This query return error if the idTable2 is null: bindingSource1.DataSource=MyDataSet.Table1.Select(c=> new {Id=c.IdTable2, Nome=c.Name }.Distinct(); Any idea? Thanks ...

Transpose Column With Gaps to Row With No Gaps?
How could I convert, by click and dragging a formula, the following? It's additionally tricky because the Horizontal format includes an end of year lable (2004, 2005, etc), but the vertical format does not Label Cell Reference 4Q04 R17 1Q05 R20 2Q05 R23 3Q05 R26 4Q05 R29 1Q06 R32 Label Cell Reference 4Q04 AG8 2004 AH8 1Q05 AI8 2Q05 AJ8 3Q05 AK8 4Q05 AL8 2005 AM8 1Q06 AN8 Thanks very much in advance. This will become a forecasting tool for debt, reported interest expense, accrued interest expense, capitalized interest expense, and cash inter...

Labels placed under stacked column chart
I have a stacked column chart where I would like the labels of one of the series to always be placed under the column. Is there a way to do this automatically instead of manually moving each label? A stacked column series has limited options for automatic placement of data labels. They can be aligned "Center", "Inside End" (just below the top), and "Inside Base" (just above the bottom). Double click the labels, and on the Alignment tab, pick the Label Position you want. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://Pe...

upgrate Outlook to fax (which one, and where)
I want to fax with Outlook 97. Therefore I have to upgrate Outlook 97. I cannot find the upgrate, I want. Where can I find it? Z. There is no "fax upgrade" for Outlook 97. Outlook 97 was simply designed to work with the fax software in existence at the time Outlook 97 roamed the earth (which was the last millennium, by the way): Microsoft Fax in Windows 95. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Z" <anonymous@discussions.microsof...

Major problem with altering splits when paying bills or making deposits in MSM 2004
Just found a major problem in making payments after altering splits in Money 2004. I have setup template payments on my payment schedule for thinks like my phone bill. The splits are used to cover business calls made from home by client. They are entered in the template for $0 and $1 is entered for my home phone portion. When I pay the bill online I adjust the splits to reflect the actual bill amounts. Today when I was trying to do a quarterly expense report for my business calls I ran my usual report and it came up with no calls (knew that was wrong). I did some research and found that when t...

CRM 4
Is there a way to prevent a column from being added to advanced find views?? Thanks! You may change attribute to be non searchable. Customazation - Customize Entities - e.g. Account - Attributes - e.g. Account Number - Change value of Searchable to no. Hope this help you. Jukka Majander "Al" wrote: > Is there a way to prevent a column from being added to advanced find views?? > > Thanks! Thanks for the quick reply Jukka. However - by changing the 'seachable' attribute to no, doesn't that only remove it from being available in the filter criteria?? The ...

Sorting more than 3 columns of Numeric data.
I have a spreadsheet with six (6) columns of numeric data and would like to sort if ascending in each row. So the end result would be the lowest numbers in each row at the top of the spreadsheet. Is this possible? Thanks! -- JMax ------------------------------------------------------------------------ JMax's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=6305 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=494208 This is an exert from the help on sorting lists with more than 3 columns. Basically, you need to sort the list twice. If y...

Displaying only the FIRST TWO WORDS of a field
I am writing a report that could get quite lengthy. Therefore, instead of displaying the entire description in a report, is there anyway of displaying just the first two words of the description. The format of the description field is "XXX <WordOfAnyLength>" where XXX is a fixed length of 3 characters, followed by a space. The next word can be any length. I would like to display the first two words in their entirety. Thanks. Try this expression in the query Field: TwoWords: LEFT([Description],Instr(5,[Description] & " "," ")) Short...

GrandTotal based on fields in two separate subforms...
I have an AddOrdersForm, an OrderDetailsSubform and an ItemDetailsSubform. The 3 are linked by the OrderID. In the OrderDetailsSubform footer I have txtOrderDetailsTotal with =Nz(Sum([Extended Price]),0) as the control source. In the ItemDetailsSubform footer I have txtItemDetailsTotal with =Nz(Sum([ExtendedToppingPrice]),0) as the control source. On AddOrderForm I have txtTotalPrice. I am trying to add txtOrderDetailsTotal and txtItemDetailsTotal in txtTotalPrice but I keep getting ERROR#. I have tried the following in the txtTotalPrice control source: =[txtOrderDetailsTota...

How do I format all worksheets in a workbook at one time ?
I want to create a workbook that has all worksheets formatted in the same manner. Is there anyway to do so without formatting each worksheet separately ? yes, Right click on any sheet tab, Select "Select All Sheets" from the pop-up menu. Have fun formatting the active sheet. When done take a look at any sheet and the formatting is done on ALL the selected sheets. Dan Knight "EBrock" wrote: > I want to create a workbook that has all worksheets formatted in the same > manner. Is there anyway to do so without formatting each worksheet > separately ? Dan, l...

Column charts with multiple data in each column
I have five months worth of data that contains a product and their quantity used. I need a column chart that has the months on the x axis and the proportion of the product in each column for each month. When I try to make the chart it throws all the data for all the months into one fat column. Can anyone help?!? How are your data laid out? A cross-table with products (or months) as column headings and months (or products) as row headings? If so, a 100% stacked column chart should do the job. If you have data in a single table form, i.e., column headings are month, product, and qu...

copy column to another file
Hi I have many file with six worksheet titeled: typeone-bob to typesix-bob. I need to a macro, when run it on any worksheet, copy column "I" of any worksheet to another file (box.xls) and set to column "I" to ..... respectively. any help will be greatly appreciated. climate ...

XML Schema, how to create one for this xml file?

reading from one table to populate a column in another table
Table A has customer code and customer name fields Table B has customer name and phone number fields I want to read through table B, look up the customer name in table A, if it is there, copy customer code to a customer code column in Table B that I will create. I could use a select statement to do this but sometimes the entire name may not match but the first 15 or 20 characters will. by the way, I have bought lots of Access books and have yet to see code similar to this request where you read through one table and possibly populate another. I have programmed in Visual Foxpro and this was...

Have Lost "To" column in Sent folder
I am running Outlook 2003 on XP. I have accidentally deleted the "To" column in the Sent folder and cannot find a way to get it back. Could anyone please help me with this? Thanks. -- Derek View-> Arrange By-> Custom...-> button Reset Current View -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real World Answers ----- "Derek Chilvers" <DerekChilvers@discussions.microsoft.com&g...

compare a value in two w/books
Looking for a simple code for: If this worksheet $b$2 value=other w/book sheet1 $h$2 value then msg"value exists" and exit sub() ,if not do something else.(both w/books are in same folder) If Activesheet.Range("B2").Value = Workbooks("other.xls").Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("H2") Then Msgbox "Value exists" End if -- HTH Bob Phillips (remove nothere from email address if mailing direct) "TUNGANA KURMA RAJU" <TUNGANAKURMARAJU@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:954E6CAF-A203-4571-A63A-F8012AF3F06D...

Help identify column differences
Hi I have a spreadshheet with 2 of the columns being "Interest Paid" & "Interest Due". I need to add a formula that will show me where the two columns have different values or the same values. For instance, if Interest due is 400 & interest paid is 400, I would like the cell next to it to say, "DELETE". If however the Interest Due is 400 and Interest Paid is any other amount other than 400, I would like the cell next to it to say "KEEP" and, if possible, formatted to be RED. Many thanks Malcolm Davidson See this webpage Malcolm ht...

Change hour by one
I'm setting up a chart to show the changing sunrise and sunset throughout the year. The sunrise and sunset info has been converted to daylight saving time and I want to convert the hours back to GMT. This means changing a time such as 07:10:42 to 06:10:42. Obviously this can be done manually, but how to do it en mass? Rob Graham Times are stored in Excel as fractions of a 24-hour day, so that 1 hour is actually stored as 1/24. Basically, you want to subtract this from all your times. In an empty cell somewhere, enter =3D1/24. Select that cell again and click <copy>...

How do I get 18 numbers to display in a column and not round out
I need a column to display 18 numbers and currently it is rounding the last three with zeros. I am using Microsoft 2003 How many digits in the numbers More than 15? Then you will need to type then as text and will not be able to do math on them Either a) when typing, precede the entry with a single quote (will not show in cell or printout b) before typing, format cells as Text best wishes -- Bernard Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP people.stfx.ca/bliengme email address: remove uppercase characters "whamm24" <whamm24@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ...