Sort does not recognize the header row

I encounter this problem in only one of my worksheets.  Others are fine.

When I select the upper left data cell (a formatted date cell) the sort
does not recognize the header row 1, even though the sort window is set
to recognize a header row.  The 3 options for the sort order hierachy
show the contents of the header row cells, not the column letters. It is
as if Excel is selecting the column headers as the header row, rather
that the first row of data.

I can get around it by inserting a blank row 2 beneath the header row,
but I would prefer not to have to do this.

The header row is 58.5 height.

Any clues?

Thanks for you help.
Rose

0
chimera926 (40)

In my experience, that is what happens when Excel recognises the header row?
If there is no header row, or if Excel then, as you put it, do not recognise
the header row, you will see the column letters in your option boxes?

"Notbefore10" wrote:

> I encounter this problem in only one of my worksheets.  Others are fine.
>
> When I select the upper left data cell (a formatted date cell) the sort
> does not recognize the header row 1, even though the sort window is set
> to recognize a header row.  The 3 options for the sort order hierachy
> show the contents of the header row cells, not the column letters. It is
> as if Excel is selecting the column headers as the header row, rather
> that the first row of data.
>
> I can get around it by inserting a blank row 2 beneath the header row,
> but I would prefer not to have to do this.
>
> The header row is 58.5 height.
>
> Any clues?
>
> Thanks for you help.
> Rose

0
Kassie (262)
10/24/2006 5:12:02 AM
If I click on the data cell in A2 (the blank row) or in A3 (the first
data row) then the column letters show in the options box.

If  I delete the blank row A2, then Excel does not recognize the header
row and the options show the text data in the header row, not the column
letters.

I hope that helps.

Thanks,
Joan.

"kassie" <kassie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In my experience, that is what happens when Excel recognises the
> header row?
> If there is no header row, or if Excel then, as you put it, do not
> recognise
> the header row, you will see the column letters in your option boxes?
>
> "Notbefore10" wrote:
>
>> I encounter this problem in only one of my worksheets.  Others are
>> fine.
>>
>> When I select the upper left data cell (a formatted date cell) the
>> sort
>> does not recognize the header row 1, even though the sort window is
>> set
>> to recognize a header row.  The 3 options for the sort order hierachy
>> show the contents of the header row cells, not the column letters. It
>> is
>> as if Excel is selecting the column headers as the header row, rather
>> that the first row of data.
>>
>> I can get around it by inserting a blank row 2 beneath the header
>> row,
>> but I would prefer not to have to do this.
>>
>> The header row is 58.5 height.
>>
>> Any clues?
>>
>> Thanks for you help.
>> Rose

0
chimera926 (40)
10/24/2006 8:04:25 AM
Hi Joan

You are quite correct, Joan.  If you have a blank row, and you click on
that, then do Data, Sort, the option box will reflect the Column nr - Column
A, Column B, Column C or whatever.

You have a couple of options here.

Have a data range with Column Headers, such as eg Customer, Street,
Building, Suburb etc.  Make this bold, and Excel will recognise it as a
header row
Create a range name of the entire data range, including the header row.  Say
your Header row is row 1, and your data range is A2:H30, then A1:H30 and
create your range name.  If you now click on say A1, then Data Sort, you will
see the relevant Header in the options box.  The option stating that your
data has a header row, will be ticked.  If not, tick it.

You should not have empty rows in your data range.

You could decide not to have a header row.  This means that Row 1 will
contain data, iso a description.  Again, select A1:H30 and create your range
name.  If you now do Data Sort, and the option box shows that you have a
header row, change this option to No header row, and the first option box
will show Column A, or whatever.

"Notbefore10" wrote:

> If I click on the data cell in A2 (the blank row) or in A3 (the first
> data row) then the column letters show in the options box.
>
> If  I delete the blank row A2, then Excel does not recognize the header
> row and the options show the text data in the header row, not the column
> letters.
>
> I hope that helps.
>
> Thanks,
> Joan.
>

> "kassie" <kassie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > In my experience, that is what happens when Excel recognises the
> > header row?
> > If there is no header row, or if Excel then, as you put it, do not
> > recognise
> > the header row, you will see the column letters in your option boxes?
> >
> > "Notbefore10" wrote:
> >
> >> I encounter this problem in only one of my worksheets.  Others are
> >> fine.
> >>
> >> When I select the upper left data cell (a formatted date cell) the
> >> sort
> >> does not recognize the header row 1, even though the sort window is
> >> set
> >> to recognize a header row.  The 3 options for the sort order hierachy
> >> show the contents of the header row cells, not the column letters. It
> >> is
> >> as if Excel is selecting the column headers as the header row, rather
> >> that the first row of data.
> >>
> >> I can get around it by inserting a blank row 2 beneath the header
> >> row,
> >> but I would prefer not to have to do this.
> >>
> >> The header row is 58.5 height.
> >>
> >> Any clues?
> >>
> >> Thanks for you help.
> >> Rose

0
Kassie (262)
10/24/2006 10:12:02 AM
The real problem here is that my brain was apparently not engaged at the
time.  As you know, sometimes the sort options list the column letters,
but sometime they list the column names taken from the header row. I am
not sure why there is this difference.  I'll figure that out another
time.

My column headers in this worksheet contain a lot of text.  It gets
scrunched in the little sort options window and I did not recognize in
the mess of text,  that it was actually listing the text contents of the
column headers cells.  Duh!

Live and learn.

Thanks for trying to help.  Much appreciated.

> Hi Joan
>
> You are quite correct, Joan.  If you have a blank row, and you click
> on
> that, then do Data, Sort, the option box will reflect the Column nr -
> Column
> A, Column B, Column C or whatever.
>
> You have a couple of options here.
>
> Have a data range with Column Headers, such as eg Customer, Street,
> Building, Suburb etc.  Make this bold, and Excel will recognise it as
> header row
> Create a range name of the entire data range, including the header
> row.  Say
> your Header row is row 1, and your data range is A2:H30, then A1:H30
> and
> create your range name.  If you now click on say A1, then Data Sort,
> you will
> see the relevant Header in the options box.  The option stating that
> your
> data has a header row, will be ticked.  If not, tick it.
>
> You should not have empty rows in your data range.
>
> You could decide not to have a header row.  This means that Row 1 will
> contain data, iso a description.  Again, select A1:H30 and create your
> range
> name.  If you now do Data Sort, and the option box shows that you have
> header row, change this option to No header row, and the first option
> box
> will show Column A, or whatever.
>
> "Notbefore10" wrote:
>
>> If I click on the data cell in A2 (the blank row) or in A3 (the first
>> data row) then the column letters show in the options box.
>>
>> If  I delete the blank row A2, then Excel does not recognize the
>> header
>> row and the options show the text data in the header row, not the
>> column
>> letters.
>>
>> I hope that helps.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Joan.
>>

>> "kassie" <kassie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > In my experience, that is what happens when Excel recognises the
>> > header row?
>> > If there is no header row, or if Excel then, as you put it, do not
>> > recognise
>> > the header row, you will see the column letters in your option
>> > boxes?

0
chimera926 (40)

Why can't I use an event sink to add a header entry
The msdn site says the property is read only. Anyone know of a way to do this? ...

Linq to sql
Hi. There must be something I missed... If I do a simple linq query like this: var sections = from s in ProjectGlobal.rd.ER_Person_Sections where s.Person_Id == "10" select s; The result is shown in a grid and a new itemrow is visible last in the grid. I can also change values in the grid. But if I change the "select s" with specific return values: select new { s.Person_Id, s.Section_Code, s.ER_Section.SectionName }; The new row is not visible and I can't change any values. The dataset seems...

Simultaneously sort 2 worksheets using linked column
I have 1 worksheet (Attendance) that keeps track of attendance. Rows 10 - 37 (27 students) with columns J - DQ for recording daily attendance. I'm designing a 2nd worksheet (Progress) in the same workbook to keep track of progress. Currently, the student names on Progress are linked to those on Attendance. This works fine. However, when I sort Attendance, only the student names on Progress move causing information on this second sheet to no longer correspond to the correct student. Is there a way to sort Attendance and have the data I enter on Progress stay with the names they're...

Hidden Rows
Hi there, Thank you in advance for any help. I have a worksheet with the top 9 rows hidden. I can't seem to get them to unhide. I've checked the help file and tried the suggestion there Edit > Go To > A1 then Format > Row > Unhide but it doesn't seem to work. I still can't see those top 9 rows. Any other suggestions I can try? Thanks, KD Hi KD! Try Data > Filter Remove check from AutoFilter -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au No check by Autofilter, but I tried checking it then unchecking it just...

format the whole row
I know in older versions, the file size would be huge if you formated a whole row rather then just the cells required. Does this still apply? E.g. A workbook I am using seems to run rather slow. The creator formatted many tables over about 25 sheets with borders but he did so by selecting the rows rather then the cells. I was wondering if I should take a couple minutes and clear the formatting from those columns? Thank you Deborah I don't think changing formatting will make any difference. You can easily check this out by making a copy of the workbook fo testing -- Message posted...

Sum cells using criteria from a row and a column
I am trying to sum cells in a sheet based on matching criteria in a row and matching criteria in a column. The data that I am working with is represented as: Resource: Resource1 JAN JAN JAN JAN FEB Project Project Description 12/19 12/26 1/2 1/9 1/16 Admin Administration 10 10 10 10 10 Holiday Holiday 8 8 Other Other time Off Training Training 20 Vacation Vacation 22 30 10 30 22 I ...

Sort name from specified interval table
Hiiii I am facing a silly problem i think u guys are rescue me from that... My prob like I have two cloum one colum contain Name of person and another coloum contain their salary.I prepared a interval table contain 4 row according to salary range....I have find the name whos salary has on the specified range on ist row of interval table.... Can any one giv the idea about that..Perhaps I tried it VLook up Function...But i faced proble to sort the name from ist colum -- mun04 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ mun04's Profile: http://www.excelforum....

Restart numbering ater a set number of rows
I have an excel spreadsheet with 4 columns. the first two columns contains numbers which will never change the third column starts off with 0 (zero) and is repeated for 255 rows then on the 256 row it needs to change to 1 (so basically increment by 1 every 255 rows) the fourth column starts at 0 (zero) and counts up to 255 but then needs to reset it self back to 0 on the 256 row. Help Please!!!!!:confused: ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ One way: I...

get rid of extra rows
I have this nice spreadsheet, but somehow additional rows were created at the bottom, and I can't get rid of them by "deleting", backspace, editing and deleting the formatting in those rows. Suggestions? You can't change the number of rows in an XL sheet (65536 pre-XL07, over a million in XL07). You could hide them instead (Format/Row/Hide). In article <761C1720-3B35-4FBC-8C58-A48AE057C8D4@microsoft.com>, kendallzemp <kendallzemp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have this nice spreadsheet, but somehow additional rows were created at the > bot...

2003 Filter and Sort Ascending
I have a database with over 2000 entries. I generated the database in excel 2007, but my clients only have 2003. When they sort the zipcode field in ascending order in 2003 (using the filter drop-down), the database only sorts some of the data and not all of it. How do I solve the problem of the filter sort ascending to capture all of the values in the database? Rob If full column is selected the sort should be OK. Don't let Excel guess your sort range. You may have a blank row. In addition................... Excel 2003 will show only the first 1000 unique items in t...

Grey Header Line
I have received an email in Outlook 2002 that the font is a light grey in color in the header. I'm sure it indicates something - I just can't find the explanation anywhere. The curiosity level is high. Thanks in advance, MoonDogii Could it be an expired email item? "MoonDogii" <bmohney@REMOVECAPSclayburngroup.com> wrote in message news:unwuB7kWGHA.5012@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... >I have received an email in Outlook 2002 that the font is a light grey in >color in the header. I'm sure it indicates something - I just can't find >the explanation ...

Vlookup
Dear all, For vlookup, it will return the value of the destination cell. Is it possible to return the row no. instead of value of the destination cell?? Your help is highly appreciated. Thanks & regards, Automne Look at the MATCH function in Help. On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 01:41:39 +0800, "automne" <hersbt_no_spam@yahoo.com.hk> wrote: >Dear all, > >For vlookup, it will return the value of the destination cell. Is it >possible to return the row no. instead of value of the destination cell?? > >Your help is highly appreciated. > >Thanks & regards,...

Excel 2007 Sort-How to Retain Sort Order
In earlier versions of Excel, if you had a worksheet that you sorted, then the sort columns and order (ascending/descending) was retained, so that if you added data and wanted to sort it, you simply told Excel to re-do the same sort. But in Excel 2007, the sort instructions are not retained, so that I have to recreate the entire sort instructions from scratch every time that I need to sort the worksheet. How do I get Excel to retain the sort instructions for a worksheet so that I can re-sort the worksheet without having to laboriously re-create the sort instructions every time that I ...

How attach data in a row so it can be sorted by the date column?
I have a four spread sheets all the same that I have copied and pasted into one. I need to know now how to sort the rows by the date column. When I select the date column and hit the tool bar a-z button only the dates sort and not other information in the adjacent columns. What can I do? Hi! Select the entire range that you want to sort. Goto Data>Sort. Sort by the column that contain the dates. Biff >-----Original Message----- >I have a four spread sheets all the same that I have copied and pasted into >one. I need to know now how to sort the rows by the date column. W...

Showing internet headers in Outlook 2002
I need to print out e-mails from my archive 'sent' folder and from my regular 'sent' folder to show all of the internet routing that the message took. When I go to 'view' and select 'message header', I don't see the internet routing data and can't seem to find where I would select that option to see the routing. You can find the internet headers in View | Options. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:11c701...

Way to put multiple rows into the same column.
I have data that is in the format of 3 columns wide by about 3000 rows. I want to rearrange each row to become a single column. Eg. Cells A1,B1,C1,A2,B2,C2 to become in cells A1,A2,A3,A4,A5,A6 respectively. I have transposed the data but this only puts each row in it's own column. I still need to put all the new columns into one column. Thankyou for any help given. Hi, Try my EastyText_Rev1.xls at http://www.geocities.com/excelmarksway It might work, er, maybe, hmmm... - Mark >-----Original Message----- >I have data that is in the format of 3 columns wide by about 3000 r...

Displaying Excel row headers in embedded spreadhseet
I have an excel spreadsheet inserted into a Word document. I want to have the row and column headers displayed in the Word document but I can't seem to find a way to do it. Does anyone have any ideas TIA Bill which version of excel/office do you have? i tried this on excel 2002. when i take the mouse pointer to the left of the table (beyond th boundary of the table), the pointer slants to right (usually it slant left). at that point in time, i right clicked and inserted rows on to of the topmost row. here i could provide headers for the columns. is this what you are looking for ...

print a certain row as the header on each page
I would like to print the same row on each page as the top row. It is not the top row on the first page. Michelle, Go to File/Page Setup Under Page Setup go the the Sheet tab For the selection - Rows to repeat at top, go the cell reference and select whatever row you want to repeat. hope that helps. Max -- MAX258 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ MAX258's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1538 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=476017 ...

VBA code to "skip" empty rows
This code will take text from column A in an Excel Work sheet and insert it into column B inside a text box. I would like to “tweek” this to skip over the code that creates the text boxes on each row that contains empty text. The result I seek is to have a text box created with text copied from column A and no text box created when column A is empty. My attempt to do this myself is not working out. I am just starting to learn something about VBA. Any comments for a better approach to solve this would be appreciated. I have commented out my attempt to skip past the textbox...

Getting rid of blank rows withouth deleting them #2
I wanted to find a way to make it automatically because i have to do i in many worksheets, but this works great, Thanks a lot for the hel -- sams ----------------------------------------------------------------------- samsg's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1624 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27725 ...

Forward as attachment? Recover headers stripped by Exchange server?
Is it possible to forward email as an attachment in Outlook 2002? Also, our Exchange server removes the internet headers from messages. Is there any way to recover them? Thx! 1) Tools-> Options-> tab Preferences-> button E-mail Options... 2) Are these internal messages or received from the outside? Internal messages don't have an Internet header. Otherwise it depends on your Exchange organization. For this repost the question with more details in an Exchange newsgroup -- Roady [MVP] www.sparnaaij.net Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office related News Also Outlook FAQ, How ...

INSERTING ROWS and LOSING FORMAT
I own a spreadsheet that has daily data inputted for, say 7, years; to add rows to increase my size, I "Insert" rows at the top of the spreadsheet, say 10 rows every day! And, for years, only until recently, every new cell was properly formatted. Now, each time I "Insert" a rows, my column formatted (as todays time) as follows: 12:43am becomes 12:43, or 1:27pm becomes 1:27 and, this occurs EVERY DAY for 3 rows only of my newly "INSERTED" 12 to 14 rows! I have never had this happen before, and I...

How to filter rows with commom N�'s in any column
Hello, How is it posible to filter the common N� that may appear in an coloumn Examlpe: A B C D E F 2 6 8 10 15 20 1 2 5 16 25 30 4 8 12 19 45 48 2 4 15 20 25 28 6 9 19 29 39 49 8 19 25 28 41 45 In this example I want to filter all the rows that have the commo N�8 The filtered Result Should be shown as below: A B C D E F 2 6 8 10 15 20 4 8 12 19 45 48 8 19 25 28 41 45 Thank You Moti -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Add a new column to the table, and...

Re: ROW Formula
Does anyone know how i can change this formula so that i can just dra it down. I have =IF(ISERROR(INDEX(Sheet2!$A$1:$X$569,SMALL(IF(Sheet2!$A$1:$A$569=$B$1,ROW(Sheet2!$A$1:$X$569)),ROW(1:1)),ROW(15:15),1)), ",INDEX(Sheet2!$A$1:$X$569,SMALL(IF(Sheet2!$A$1:$A$569=$B$1,ROW(Sheet2!$A$1:$X$569)),ROW(1:1)),ROW(15:15),1)) And when i drag down i want =IF(ISERROR(INDEX(Sheet2!$A$1:$X$569,SMALL(IF(Sheet2!$A$1:$A$569=$B$1,ROW(Sheet2!$A$1:$X$569)),ROW(2:2)),ROW(15:15),1)), ",INDEX(Sheet2!$A$1:$X$569,SMALL(IF(Sheet2!$A$1:$A$569=$B$1,ROW(Sheet2!$A$1:$X$569)),ROW(2:2)),ROW(15:15),1)) I want the ...

Outlook 2003 sorting
I have outlook 2003 sort my email into folders. It has all of a sudden decided to send a number of Emails I mark as not junk to the Junk Email folder even if I am the only one on the email header. How can I get it to accept the emails into the inbox rather than the Junk Email folder? ...