Sort command does not sort some columns?

When attempting to sort data, newly entered data seems to stay the same while 
the old data sorts itself.  I have one whole column that is now mismatched.  
I am a newbie to this program so I am sure I am doing not doing something 
basic.  
0
BillyBob (10)
5/10/2006 9:50:02 PM
excel.newusers 15348 articles. 2 followers. Follow

4 Replies
590 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 45

BillBob:

If you want to sort a multi-column range of cells:

Select the entire range of cells 
<data><sort>
Set your sort parameters
Click the [OK] button.

If all of the relevant columns are not pre-selected, they will not sort with 
the column you want sorted and you'll have out-of-sync mess.

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP


"BillyBob" wrote:

> When attempting to sort data, newly entered data seems to stay the same while 
> the old data sorts itself.  I have one whole column that is now mismatched.  
> I am a newbie to this program so I am sure I am doing not doing something 
> basic.  
0
5/10/2006 11:36:02 PM
Thank you for your help Ron.  When I go to Data - Sort - I do not seem to 
have an option through which I can set the perameters.  I am left with a 
dialogue box which reads "lists sort by" and "then by" and "then by".  When I 
go into the pull down menus all I am given an option of is which columns to 
sort.  A "blue box" is evident on the data - but I don't know how to expand 
this box to include the new data.  When I try to expand the box it simplly 
drops the old infomation on top of the new and overwrites it.  So, the 
question is how do I set source perameters - where do I need to look?

Thanks
BillyBob

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

> BillBob:
> 
> If you want to sort a multi-column range of cells:
> 
> Select the entire range of cells 
> <data><sort>
> Set your sort parameters
> Click the [OK] button.
> 
> If all of the relevant columns are not pre-selected, they will not sort with 
> the column you want sorted and you'll have out-of-sync mess.
> 
> Does that help?
> ***********
> Regards,
> Ron
> 
> XL2002, WinXP
> 
> 
> "BillyBob" wrote:
> 
> > When attempting to sort data, newly entered data seems to stay the same while 
> > the old data sorts itself.  I have one whole column that is now mismatched.  
> > I am a newbie to this program so I am sure I am doing not doing something 
> > basic.  
0
BillyBob (10)
5/11/2006 8:11:01 AM
It seems like you're not performing the first step: 
Select ALL of the data in the range, not just the column you want sorted.

Example
If you have data in the range A1:D100 and you want to sort that range by 
Col_B in ascending order:

Select A1:D100
<data><sort>
Sort by: Column B
Check: Ascending
Click the [OK] button

That would sort A1:D100 by Col_B, keeping the corresponding records 
associated with each Col_B item together with the item.

Does that help? or am I missing something?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP


"BillyBob" wrote:

> Thank you for your help Ron.  When I go to Data - Sort - I do not seem to 
> have an option through which I can set the perameters.  I am left with a 
> dialogue box which reads "lists sort by" and "then by" and "then by".  When I 
> go into the pull down menus all I am given an option of is which columns to 
> sort.  A "blue box" is evident on the data - but I don't know how to expand 
> this box to include the new data.  When I try to expand the box it simplly 
> drops the old infomation on top of the new and overwrites it.  So, the 
> question is how do I set source perameters - where do I need to look?
> 
> Thanks
> BillyBob
> 
> "Ron Coderre" wrote:
> 
> > BillBob:
> > 
> > If you want to sort a multi-column range of cells:
> > 
> > Select the entire range of cells 
> > <data><sort>
> > Set your sort parameters
> > Click the [OK] button.
> > 
> > If all of the relevant columns are not pre-selected, they will not sort with 
> > the column you want sorted and you'll have out-of-sync mess.
> > 
> > Does that help?
> > ***********
> > Regards,
> > Ron
> > 
> > XL2002, WinXP
> > 
> > 
> > "BillyBob" wrote:
> > 
> > > When attempting to sort data, newly entered data seems to stay the same while 
> > > the old data sorts itself.  I have one whole column that is now mismatched.  
> > > I am a newbie to this program so I am sure I am doing not doing something 
> > > basic.  
0
5/11/2006 12:43:02 PM
Ron Coderre wrote:
> It seems like you're not performing the first step: 
> Select ALL of the data in the range, not just the column you want sorted.
> 
> Example
> If you have data in the range A1:D100 and you want to sort that range by 
> Col_B in ascending order:
> 
> Select A1:D100
> <data><sort>
> Sort by: Column B
> Check: Ascending
> Click the [OK] button
> 
> That would sort A1:D100 by Col_B, keeping the corresponding records 
> associated with each Col_B item together with the item.
> 
> Does that help? or am I missing something?
> ***********
> Regards,
> Ron
> 
> XL2002, WinXP
> 
> 
> "BillyBob" wrote:
> 
>> Thank you for your help Ron.  When I go to Data - Sort - I do not seem to 
>> have an option through which I can set the perameters.  I am left with a 
>> dialogue box which reads "lists sort by" and "then by" and "then by".  When I 
>> go into the pull down menus all I am given an option of is which columns to 
>> sort.  A "blue box" is evident on the data - but I don't know how to expand 
>> this box to include the new data.  When I try to expand the box it simplly 
>> drops the old infomation on top of the new and overwrites it.  So, the 
>> question is how do I set source perameters - where do I need to look?
>>
>> Thanks
>> BillyBob
>>
>> "Ron Coderre" wrote:
>>
>>> BillBob:
>>>
>>> If you want to sort a multi-column range of cells:
>>>
>>> Select the entire range of cells 
>>> <data><sort>
>>> Set your sort parameters
>>> Click the [OK] button.
>>>
>>> If all of the relevant columns are not pre-selected, they will not sort with 
>>> the column you want sorted and you'll have out-of-sync mess.
>>>
>>> Does that help?
>>> ***********
>>> Regards,
>>> Ron
>>>
>>> XL2002, WinXP
>>>
>>>
>>> "BillyBob" wrote:
>>>
>>>> When attempting to sort data, newly entered data seems to stay the same while 
>>>> the old data sorts itself.  I have one whole column that is now mismatched.  
>>>> I am a newbie to this program so I am sure I am doing not doing something 
>>>> basic.  

If you want to sort the entire sheet an easy way to select all cells is
to click the square in the upper left hand corner above the row number 1 
and to the left of the column A.

gls858
0
gls858 (460)
5/11/2006 3:16:34 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

repost: split excel columns
Thank you for the feed back on the below question. When using "text to columns" it seems to create new columns and the info. in one column can be split but I was looking to essentially create two columns in one. For instance, within column D which was widened, I wanted two columns in rows 5:15. I'm trying to convert something into an excel template that is too long and don't want to change any of the column widths already in place. I know you can do this in Word when transferring an excel table. You would right click on the cell and there is a function called split ...

Sum a column that meets two criteria
I need to sum a column of numbers if it matches two different criteria. I can set up the SUMIF easily for meeting one criteria, but I need to also sum the column if it meets that criteria, and another. For example: A B C 1 150 ABC MS1 2 200 DEF MS0 3 100 LMN MS0 4 125 ABC MS1 5 175 LMN MS1 6 225 DEF MS0 I need to have a formula that would say <<Sum column A IF column B = "DEF" AND column C = "MS0">>. (and so forth for the other combinations). I know there has to be a way to do this, probably using a combination of an IF and SUMIF functions - but i keep...

Lookup two columns
I want to compare the contents of two (adjacent) cells in one sheet with two adjacent cells in another sheet (within one workspace) and if the *pair* of cells are the same, deliver the value in the cell a few columns along (if you know what I mean - like lookup but comparing two cells). The cells are not sorted. Any ideas? Cheers. Bobby If you are comparing A1-B1 sheet 1 to A1-B1 sheet 2, then =IF(AND(Sheet1!A1=Sheet2!A1,Sheet1!B1=Sheet2!B1),"They match","no match") If you have to "lookup" A1-B1 against the whole columns of A and B on sheet2, then kyou co...

Nice Column Graph
So I have data like this: Year Month #start #end 2001 1 4 2 2001 2 6 5 2001 3 7 1 2001 4 5 4 2001 5 2 6 ..... I'd like to make a column chart where the year and month are on one axis and then I have a column for each #start and #end for each month/year pair. Is there a way to tell the chart wizard that I want to use those two columns for the x axis and then the #start and #end columns for the other? Thanks. Hi, Remove the 'Year' and 'Month' text from the 2 cells and then select and use the chart wiza...

Calculate the % increase for two columns
I have a pivot table, the data was first display by date, i know i can use the grouping function to group data into monthly basis. But I want to know that can I set the formula to calculate the months difference between, say the sales amount of June & July, and the % of the difference?? Million thanks If you have a grouped field, you won't be able to add a calculated item to the pivot table. In the source data, you could add a column to calculate the month for each record. Refresh the pivot table, and add the new field Add another copy of the Data field to the data area Right-c...

Text to Columns from drop down list update
Hi I need to perform a Text to Column conversion from a drop down list, but I also need the extracted value to be updated if the value in the list is changed. eg: Drop down list has 2 values: 1. 4x16K 2. 8x8K If the user selects 1 I can easily extract out to another cell the value 1 using Text to columns, however if the user then changes the choice to 2 the text to columns extraction is not updated to 2. Is there a way to update changes in the original cell using text to columns? Or is there another way I can assign a value to a drop down menu choice in a different cell while havi...

Count column difference
Hi Using MSExcel 97. I have two columns of data e.g. A1: A4, containing values 5,10, 3, 6 B1:B4, containing values 3, 8, 7, 4 I wish to perform a count (e.g. in C5) of the number of rows where the value in column A exceeds the respective value in column B (in this case count = 3, as A1>B1, A2>B2, and A4>B4). Just cannot get my formula right. Tried using an array (but difficult when comparing the difference between two columns), and COUNT. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Wizzy ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.co...

moving columns
Hi all, I have a sheet in which in row 3 there is data like this: ColumnA B C D E F Customer name 1-30 30-60 60-90 90-270 270-300 what is want is that 270-300 should move in front of 1-30, I mean t say that column F should move in front of Column B but after column A movement should be on basis that in column F, it is written 270-300 and columns may change , i mean to say that sometimes there is no 30-6 and 90-270 column columns may increase or decrease do we have a solution to this thank u al -- Message posted from http...

Validation
I would like to have combo box functionality for the data validation feature in Excel 2000. This doesn't seem to be available in the native validation setup dialog box. Am I missing something? I would like to display the validated items list in the leftmost column and have column(s) of description display to the right of each list item (so I can tell which list item I should select). Suggestions? Many Thanks, Bill Vallance Bill Debra Dalgleish has instructions for creating dependent DV lists. http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlDataVal02.html Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Tue, 08 Jun 20...

DoCmd.Quit Error "The command or action 'Quit' isn't available now
Hi I need to exit an application if the user closes a certain form in the adp and am trying to do this via the unload method. basically there can be various instances of this form but if one instance is a certain one then it must close the whole application. If have tried in a blank database by putting DoCmd.Quit in the unload method of a form and that works so there must be somthing running that is causing this not to work in my adp. I have also tried putting a button on the form in my adp just to see if putting DoCmd.Quit in the click event would work and it did but this is of no us...

Excel CSV leaving out empty columns from row 17 onwards
Excel omitting commas in random ways !! Anyone come across this ? When I save this file in csv using excel 2003 A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J,K,L,M,N,O,P,Q,R,S,T,U,V,W,X,Y,Z,AA A,,C,D,,21-Nov-06,27-Nov-06,S,1,2,,3.5,BP,N,O,,,,,,,,,,,, A,,C,D,,21-Nov-06,27-Nov-06,S,1,2,,3.5,BP,N,O,,,,,,,,,,,, A,,C,D,,21-Nov-06,27-Nov-06,B,1,2,,3.5,BP,N,O,,,,,,,,,,,, A,,C,D,,21-Nov-06,27-Nov-06,B,1,2,,3.5,BP,N,O,,,,,,,,,,,, A,,C,D,,21-Nov-06,27-Nov-06,B,1,2,,3.5,BP,N,O,,,,,,,,,,,, A,,C,D,,21-Nov-06,27-Nov-06,B,1,2,,3.5,BP,N,O,,,,,,,,,,,, A,,C,D,,21-Nov-06,27-Nov-06,B,1,2,,3.5,BP,N,O,,,,,,,,,,,, A,,C,D,,21-Nov-06,27-Nov-...

changing sort order
I have followed the TK "How to BCP Data Out and Back into a New Database (875179)" a few times and it seems to work great. However, when bcp'ng the data back in, I do notice some errors as it flashes by in the dos screen, however, NONE of the .err files show any size other than 0k. After logging into Great Plains, I do notice that some information is completely missing. I check the tables and they are empty. I checked the in and out bat files and those tables are exported, then imported, the table is empty and its .err file is also blank. If the .err files do not show...

dialog based app & command line
Hello, I'm trying to launch my application with command line arguments, but I received an error, without any identification number of it. The MessageBox tolds me: "Runtime error" "the path to my exe file" "This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact...". Have somebody a ideea where is the problem? Thank you a lot in advance, Alex PS: When I debbutg the appllication with command line args. from project properties the app. starts very well Try setting the start command line options fro...

Changing Exch5.5 GAL columns in Outlook client view
Sorry if the subject line is a bit cryptic; anyway, in the Outlook client, if you display the 'Address Book' you get the following columns - name, business phone, office, title, company, alias, e-mail type, & e-mail address. How do you change it so you show the display name, business, extension, cell phone, & internet email address? Basically, how/where do you change the columnar data the client sees? Thanks, Mike Lawson Mike Goto View | Columns and there u can manage views... KJ "Mike Lawson" wrote: > Sorry if the subject line is a bit cryptic; anyway, i...

Stacked and single column in same chart?
How can I do a chart with a stacked column beside a single column? When I build a stacked column chart, any new source data I add wants to put it in the same stacked column. Use one of the links on this page. You need to set up the data so the single column is in a stacking position with no other columns of data. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ClusterStack.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Einstine wrote: > How can I do a chart with a stacked column beside a sing...

Move data from column to rows HELP!!!
Hi thanks for taking the time to look at my problem, currently i have column that has thousands of rows of information in it, it looks lik this A 40432 432654 3432 532543 32432 523 53425 532532 532 523 532 111 222 333 666 numbers that go on into mabye the 5000-6000 range what i need to do is have that data moved So it looks like this A | B | C 40432 | 32432 | 532 432654 | 523 | 523 3432 | 52432 | 111 532543 | 532532 | 222 So on and so on, so instead of 1 column with 6000 lines it ...

not repeating text boxes in reports with columns
Hello, I am trying to create a report with columns without repeating certain text boxes. Here is an example of what I would like to create: [Date] "Month1" [Date] "Month2" [Date] "Month3" [Product] "Product1": [quantity] [value] [quantity] [value] [quantity] [value] [Product] "Product2": [quantity] [value] [quantity] [value] [quantity] [value] [Product] "Product3": [quantity] [value] [quantity] [value] [quantity] [value] [Product] "Product4": [q...

How do I sort a proctected worksheet
Unprotect it. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Audrey" <Audrey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1E1AC0AE-67F0-46B1-A741-B32D4DF69D43@microsoft.com... > That is a given, but I have columns that I don't want sorted. I have locked those columns in hopes they would not sort and the others would. Any suggestions? Thanks for the help. "Chip Pearson" wrote: > Unprotect it. > > > -- > Cordially, > Chip Pearson > Microsoft MVP - Excel > Pearson...

MATCH function; comparing letter grades in columns
I am currently comparing the contents on two cells in columns H & I (for example, cells H10 and I10). The contents are letter grades (i.e., A, A-, B+, B, etc., through E). I have my function tell me if there is any difference between the two columns and report the result (i.e., =93no change,=94 rating decrease,=94 or =93rating increase=94) in th= e adjoining column, J10. I use the MATCH function, and since it can=92t distinguish between the letter grades, I have placed the letter grades in cells M2 through M13. My function is as follows: =3DIF(MATCH(H10,M$2:M$13,0)=3DMATCH(I10,M$2:M$1...

center data labels on my column chart
How do i get my data labels to appear in the center of each column on my chart? Thanks. Click on one of the labels (that will select all the labels in the series) Choose Format>Selected Data Labels Select the Alignment tab From the Label Position dropdown, choose Center Immediately after formatting the first series, if there are other series in the chart -- Select a label in another series Press the F4 button on the keyboard, to repeat the formatting from the previous series Repeat for all series Dan wrote: > How do i get my data labels to appear in the center of > e...

my formats get pushed out when I insert columns
Hi folks, I am having trouble when inserting columns in a large data field. Whenever I insert a column at some point in the data field, th formulas within the data field adjust, or 'stretch', to accomodate th added column, however my conditional formatting gets pushed along t the right and doesn't adapt itself in the same way the formulas do. This means whenever I insert a column, the formulas remain correct bu I have to reset the conditional formatting for the entire data field. I would be extremely grateful for any advice on this situation. Best regards, melvi -- Message pos...

Still column space after making row group hidden
In a SSRS 2008 report I have a number of parent level row groups which the previous group set the hidden value of the child group. I have the canshrink set to True of the cells however this still leaves a blank space where the group data was. Is it possible to remove this blank space from the report when that row group is hidden in a tablix? ...

removing duplicate values from a column
It sounds so simple that I must be overlooking the obvious answer, but I can't seem to find a way to remove duplicate values from a column. The case is simple: I have 600+ emailaddresses in column A, sorted alphabetically and there's a bunch of duplicate addresses in there (some of 'em occur up to 7 times!!). Instead of manually running through the whole list, removing the duplicates, there MUST be some soft of filter/function in excel to do this for me... Could anyone PLEASE help me with this!?!? Cheers! -- NOTE: remove the spamtrap from the emailaddress Jops, Select the em...

Need a formula that tags one table based 2 columns in each table
I have two tables on one worksheet, Table A and Table B. Each table contains two column with X and Y coordinates, all values are numerical. The coordinate system is irrelevant. I need to "tag" all XY coordinates in Table B that have a matching XY coordinate in Table A. If Table A coordinates are in columns A and B, and Table B coordinates are in columns C and D, then I want to place the text "hit" in column E next to each coordinate pair from columns C and D that match a coordinate pair in columns A and B. The ranges for the respective tables have been named ACOORD and...

stacked column chart not baselining at 0
I have a data set with categories in columns A-B, and data in columns C-I. I've configured my chart to use stacked bars for the first 6 data series and a line for the last one. The first 6 are revenue allocations, with the 7th being a cumulative total. Most of the chart looks as expected, but the first category or row of data is displaying oddly. The figures in this row are all negative (or 0), so I expect the top of the bar to sit at zero, but it doesn't. The top of the bar sits at the value of the 7th/line series, so that the bottom of the bar is at 2x that (negative) value. ...