Sort column with multiple values

Is there a way to (data) sort columns so that multiple values are recognized?
I have a column labeled lawsuit type where I classify cases (.i.e. fraud,
discrimination).  Some lawsuits fall into multiples categories (both fraud
and discrimination).  Right now it's just sorting in alphabetical order and
only recognizes the first word I write in.

Try Data > Filter > AdvancedFilter, and follow the menus........once set up,
it will allow you to filter on multiple selections in a single
column..........

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck,  CABGx3

"gildedlily" <gildedlily@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to (data) sort columns so that multiple values are
recognized?
> I have a column labeled lawsuit type where I classify cases (.i.e. fraud,
> discrimination).  Some lawsuits fall into multiples categories (both fraud
> and discrimination).  Right now it's just sorting in alphabetical order
and
> only recognizes the first word I write in.

0
croberts (1377)
5/25/2006 12:54:28 AM
Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried the AdvancedFilter, but couldn't get it
to work.  Nothing seems to happen when I click the AdvancedFilter button.
Any more suggestions? Thanks!

"CLR" wrote:

> Try Data > Filter > AdvancedFilter, and follow the menus........once set up,
> it will allow you to filter on multiple selections in a single
> column..........
>
> Vaya con Dios,
> Chuck,  CABGx3
>
> "gildedlily" <gildedlily@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Is there a way to (data) sort columns so that multiple values are
> recognized?
> > I have a column labeled lawsuit type where I classify cases (.i.e. fraud,
> > discrimination).  Some lawsuits fall into multiples categories (both fraud
> > and discrimination).  Right now it's just sorting in alphabetical order
> and
> > only recognizes the first word I write in.

Check here for more info on Advanced Filter...........
http://www.contextures.com/xladvfilter01.html
http://www.contextures.com/xladvfilter02.html

> Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried the AdvancedFilter, but couldn't get
it
> to work.  Nothing seems to happen when I click the AdvancedFilter button.
> Any more suggestions? Thanks!
>
> "CLR" wrote:
>
> > Try Data > Filter > AdvancedFilter, and follow the menus........once set
up,
> > it will allow you to filter on multiple selections in a single
> > column..........
> >
> > Vaya con Dios,
> > Chuck,  CABGx3
> >
> > "gildedlily" <gildedlily@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Is there a way to (data) sort columns so that multiple values are
> > recognized?
> > > I have a column labeled lawsuit type where I classify cases (.i.e.
fraud,
> > > discrimination).  Some lawsuits fall into multiples categories (both
fraud
> > > and discrimination).  Right now it's just sorting in alphabetical
order
> > and
> > > only recognizes the first word I write in.

0
croberts (1377)

Formatting default value in a table
I am in the process of creating a database to used in a small office to track ongoing projects. I am trying to get the next new record to automatic populate with the next number. Currently I have row set up as a number, field properties I have set Format to 0"7-"000. However, I am not sure what iI should set the default value to. Projects listed currently are 07-002, 07-003 and I would like the database to automatically populate with the next project number 07-004. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you Not exactly what you want, but the code is simi...

Ascending order sort..
my spreadsheet consists of about 7 columns of data, each row has relevant data that corresponds to each column in that row. For example, in Row 1, I have A which is product, B which is description, C which is price, D which is stock, and so on. I had to sort column A in ascending order for me to be able to perform a VLOOKUP. Now that ive sorted A in ascending order, that has completely screwed up my spreadsheet, it threw off all my product IDs so now they dont correspond with the descriptions or price anymore! is there anyway that when I sort by ascending order the column I want, it will take ...

Filter by form search field showing non-distinct values in pull do
Howdy. I'm using Filter-by-Form for searching. For each field, when in FBF, the pull down shows a list of distinct values for that column. One field on my form, though, is showing a list of non-distinct values, so the list has over 200,000 entries, many of them duplicates (in this case, NULL or zero length string). What's going on? This particular field was fine earlier in development, and the other search fields are still fine - showing only distinct values. Any suggestions on where to look/what to do??? Thanks. Danny Danny - Just a guess here, but since...

Analytical Accounting Account Access to multiple Dimensions
In Account Access to Transaction Dimension Codes window, we are able to assign dimension codes by specifying a particular account segment. Can we include the functionality to specifying using multiple account segments? Thanks. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message...

Display on the cell with a value
Hi All I need help with a formula, I have 3 cell columns B,C & D with vlookup�s in each. The way I have set it up so that only one of the look ups will work. How do then make a formula that will be in column E and look columns B,C&D and display the only number that has worked Eg. A B C D AT111 #N/A 0.71 #N/A Please help Thanks Andrew -- koba ------------------------------------------------------------------------ koba's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28639 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=501901 ...

How can Balance cell attributes be dependent on _either_ debit or credit column?
Good Morning! I've run into trouble again with an IF situation <g>. I have two columns, one shows amount owing to an account and the other shows amount paid to that account, in other words, a debit and a credit column. In making the balance column, I don't know how to show the balance whether or not both cells are filled in either column. I have conditional formatting to blank out, as it were, the balance column until there is a value in the first column because that's all I know how to do. I'd like to have the balance column "appear" if there is an amount ...

monetary values
Why do monetary values show up as the pound sign's? pound signs as in # or the British POund "John O" wrote: > Why do monetary values show up as the pound sign's? Check a) your Regional Settings b) the currency Style BTW: what Excel version and what country are you in? -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "John O" <John O@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AC4F82D2-FD3F-4472-83E1-AA462540CC99@microsoft.com... > Why do monetary values show up as the pound sign's? Yes,...

How to determine the value within specific cell position?
I would like to retrieve specific cell based on the row() and column() numbers. For example, if cell B5 contains text "Apple", which cell's position is row()=1 and column()=2, so I would like to return the value into cell A1 based on the row and column number. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to retrieve the value within specific cell position? Thanks in advance for any suggestions =b1 -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett@gmail.com "Eric" <Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0E6E74...

sort by even or odd
Can someone tell me how to sort a column by if a number is odd or even. I would guess that I would need to use a function in another column and first designate if the number is even or odd. Can someone please tell me what function this is or how to do this? Thanks in advance. Hi Look at the function ISODD For eg if list is in column A put the following formula in column b and drag down. =isodd(a1) And then sort by column B Hope this helps >-----Original Message----- >Can someone tell me how to sort a column by if a number >is odd or even. I would guess that I would need ...

SBS 2003 SP2 Preimum migrate to Virtual 2003 R2 Enterprise multipl
Hi All, I have a client with a physical server running SBS 2003 SP2 that want's to migrate it to multiple Virtual servers. I would like for anyone with previous experience on SBS migration and licencing issues. The current server roles are: AD/DC Exchange 2003 ISA 2004 IIS DNS DHCP Print and File server The proposed solution I had in mind is to create 2x or 3x Virtual 2003 or 2008 servers and divide the roles equally between them. I am trying to get my head around the process as I have been told you cant careate another Enterprise/Standard server as a trust ...

Customizing Public Folder Columns
Hi, I have noticed that Public Folders show up in Outlook with a default set of columns/fields that I can then change on the client. What I am trying to do is to have a Public Folder appear with a specific set of columns (different than the default) for ALL users without me having to go on each Outlook client and set it up manually. Like a Folder-level setting as opposed to a client-level setting. Is this possible? Our server is Exchange 2003. The clients are mixed Outlook 2000, XP and 2003. If this can only work for some client versions can you please let me know which ones? thank...

Multiple Formulas #3
Im creating a database for my school house and before i convert over to Access..Im trying to figure out some ways to calculate some numbers. For example, my hardest thing yet, if someone was to run an 18min:00sec 3mile run...he'll get a max score of 100. But if he ran it in 20min:34sec he'll get a score of 84. Being the longest run of 28min:00sec (failing). How do i create a formula to calculate the mins and sec to result in the point score. Set up your timing ranges on another sheet and then use a VLOOKUP with the last parameter set to TRUE. for example, if you table is a two...

Y axis fixed value problem
Hi, I'm working with fairly large datasets, ~10k lines in 6-10 columns. The data are elevations taken on the hour, every hour for a year or two. When I graph these in 2007, I use a connected scatter plot, just as I would in 2003. Excel happily works with the data and creates the graph, but doesn't always get the vertical axis scaling how I want it. As soon as I try to fix the values for this axis where I need them, the program slows to a crawl. Spreadsheet functions still work fine, but anything involving the chart is slow. For example, a right click on the series in the ...

Formula to estimate value
I have a chart on a worksheet, that is created by data in another worksheet. Basically the chart will be an area chart with readings that will decrease in value after easch test date. eg. A B C D E F G 1/1/2010 | 6.25 | 6.24 | 6.24 | 6.25 | 6.25 | 6.26 | -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 1/2/2010 | ...

Recipient Policies : multiple email domains.
Hi, We have two email domains (domain1.com and domain2.com). How do I use the recipient policies to assign some users to have only domain1.com email address ? I did create a group (security and distribution) and include some users as the members of the group but it did not work. The only email address that was affected is the group itself and not the members. Any ideas ? Thanks. Rgrds, Zul "Zul J" <mlist@istar.com.my> wrote: >We have two email domains (domain1.com and domain2.com). How do I use the >recipient policies to assign some users to have only domai...

Enter Parameter Value!!!
I'm going nuts with this one. I'm trying to requery a combobox and populate it according to another combobox. The combobox I'm trying to populate: LineID SELECT tblFacilitiesLineIDs.LineID, tblFacilitiesLineIDs.Description FROM tblFacilitiesLineIDs WHERE (((tblFacilitiesLineIDs.txtFacilityID)=[Forms]! [frmFinishedGoods].[sfrmFGProcessing].[sfrmFGsThermoformParameters]! [txtFacilityID])); The combobox that requeries LineID is txtFacilityID: SELECT tblFacilities.txtFacilityID, tblFacilities.FacilityName FROM tblFacilities ORDER BY tblFacilities.txtFacilityID; Its After Update Even...

values/formats in a cell get randomly replaced in some worksheets.
values/formats in a cell get randomly replaced in some worksheets with values/formats from some of the drop down menu lists. Unprotected cell values are getting changed after some time, may be hours or days , from drop down lists. Excel sheet files are quite big, like 4/5 mb, having big data and near to 4000 formats. ...

sorting and getting calculations in other columns use new rows
I have got a worksheet where column A is the date, but not in order. Other columns have finance information, and contain calculations using data from other cells. eg A12=10/10/2005 B12=C25*1.175 If I now sort on column A (the date column) I find that B12 refers to some other cell in column C, whereas I want it to take the value from where C25 has now moved to. What am I doing wrong? (hope this makes sense) Thanks Rod Hi You need to mark your whole range of data before choosing Sort, then the other data will move in line with the sorted column(s) Regards Roger Govier reades wrot...

What is the best way to write a sp to insert a row having more than 200 columns?
Hi, I have two tables having many columns. One has 215 columns and another has 95 columns. I am writing insert sp for these two tables. I think it is no good way to pass in 215 parameters into a insert sp. But what is the best way? Pass XML? Thanks. Peter peter (petershaw8@hotmail.com) writes: > I have two tables having many columns. One has 215 columns and another has > 95 columns. I am writing insert sp for these two tables. > I think it is no good way to pass in 215 parameters into a insert sp. But > what is the best way? Pass XML? It's simply ...

Need help selecting IPC for multiple users
Hello, I'm in the process of developing a service with a GUI monitor. I'd like for the GUI to be able to view the status of the service. I plan on running the service under the Local System user in its own process space. I'd like for any user on the computer to be able to use the GUI to view the service's status. I've explored a mapped shared memory file and that works only when the service and GUI are both logged in as the same user. It is possible to open the mapped file for use by all other users? What other interprocess communications methods could I use? Wou...

Summing cells with null values
I create cells with null values, so as not to fill the spreadsheet with zeros, with formualas like =if(a3>0,a3*100,"") However when I sum these values for a total row, I'll get #value! as a result. I would prefer to have either a blank in this cell or even a zero, anything but #value! Is there an easy way to do this? Some type of function for the summed cells to convert them to zero or something? Thanks. Michael Michael, if you use the sum function it disregards null strings as opposed using =A1+A3+A5+A8 and let's say A3 has a "" string will return val...

Import excel but selected column for selected table
I want to import excel to access but I want selected column to appear in selected table. For example i want to be able to specify column 1,2,3 to load in table 1 and column 4,5,8 to appear in table 2.. May i know the way please? -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-formscoding/200705/1 May I know the way please? Trever B wrote: >Suggestion, > >Import to a temp table > >Run 2 append queries appending the data to the files you want > >Trev > >> I want to import excel to access but I want selected column to ...

Sorting Text Fields Containing Letters and Numbers
To whom it may confuse. I have a query with a text field that needs to be sorted in descending order. The field name is "ContainerNumber" and the data will always have at least a letter in the begining. As you can see the data sample "D100/07" comes after "D10/07" and that is not what I need. I need "D11/07" to come after "D10/07" and so on. How can I fix this? ContainerNumber D03/07 D06/07 D07/07 D08/07 D09/07 D10/07 D100/07 D101/07 D102/07 D103/07 D104/07 D105/07 D106/07 D107/07 D108/07 D109/07 D11/07 D110/07 D111/07 D112/07 D113/07 D114...

Printing Multiple Sheets to PDF
Hi All! I'm not sure if this is off topic or not, but here goes ... I have an excel file with 3 sheets that I would like to print into one PDF file (ie page 1, page 2, page 3). The problem is, the file prints only the first page. I am able to print the other two pages together, but then need to merge the two files using Acrobat. Now, I don't think this is an issue with my PDF writer since I've been able to do this with other excel files that I have created. I select multiple sheets that I want to print, then print them to PDF using Acrobat Distiller or CutePDF Write...

Eliminating categories of zero values from X-axix
Hi , I have a range of sales data from 1 - 30 of a month, i will select the all range while creating chart.What i want when click on the chart it could eliminate the zero value items from the X-axis. Could i have your help on this ? If the data is listed in a column, filter the data using the autofilter or by making the range into a list (Excel 2003) or a table (2007). The filter hides certain rows, so filter out the zeros. Hidden cells do not appear in charts by default (this can be changed if necessary), so filtering the sheet also filters the chart. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Micro...