Set a value every 5 cells

There is 1 data set is assumed running in A1 down, viz.:
In A1 down is: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10
In the cell from B1 to B10 is empty (no value).

My question is that I want a excel formule would performance a task which it
can put a value e.g.1 every "5" cells.   So, in my example, after setting the
formula, "1" will incorporate in the cell B5 and B10.  Do you think an Excel
function can achieve the result according my requirement?

Many thanks, Wilchong

wilchong

You should always ask the question you actually want an answer to rather
than asking a simplified question (your e.g. suggests this is not the
question you really want an answer to)... the odds are the solution to the
simpler problem will not be able to easily be modified to handle the real
question. Anyway, here is a formula to do what you asked...

=IF(MOD(ROW(),5)=0,"1","")

Put it in B1 and copy it down.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"wilchong via OfficeKB.com" <u43231@uwe> wrote in message
> There is 1 data set is assumed running in A1 down, viz.:
> In A1 down is: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10
> In the cell from B1 to B10 is empty (no value).
>
> My question is that I want a excel formule would performance a task which
> it
> can put a value e.g.1 every "5" cells.   So, in my example, after setting
> the
> formula, "1" will incorporate in the cell B5 and B10.  Do you think an
> Excel
> function can achieve the result according my requirement?
>
> Many thanks, Wilchong

Dear Rick,
Thanks a lot, it works extremely well!

Thanks,
Wilchong

Rick Rothstein wrote:
>You should always ask the question you actually want an answer to rather
>than asking a simplified question (your e.g. suggests this is not the
>question you really want an answer to)... the odds are the solution to the
>simpler problem will not be able to easily be modified to handle the real
>question. Anyway, here is a formula to do what you asked...
>
>=IF(MOD(ROW(),5)=0,"1","")
>
>Put it in B1 and copy it down.
>
>> There is 1 data set is assumed running in A1 down, viz.:
>> In A1 down is: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10
>[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]
>>
>> Many thanks, Wilchong

wilchong
2/9/2009 7:52:52 AM
Dear Rick,
Your suggested formula working very well.  However, when I move the B1 to B2,
B2 to B3,……etc.  The result is different. The value is not located in the
five, it is located in the first 4th cell of B5, however, my correspondence
colume in colume A shows 4.

Do you think I can put a range e.g. column A2:A11 in the function ROW()?

Many thanks,
Wilchong

Rick Rothstein wrote:
>You should always ask the question you actually want an answer to rather
>than asking a simplified question (your e.g. suggests this is not the
>question you really want an answer to)... the odds are the solution to the
>simpler problem will not be able to easily be modified to handle the real
>question. Anyway, here is a formula to do what you asked...
>
>=IF(MOD(ROW(),5)=0,"1","")
>
>Put it in B1 and copy it down.
>
>> There is 1 data set is assumed running in A1 down, viz.:
>> In A1 down is: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10
>[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]
>>
>> Many thanks, Wilchong

wilchong
2/9/2009 8:05:22 AM
If I understand your question correctly, try this formula...

=IF(MOD(ROW(A1),5)=0,"1","")

where I have put in the A1 (use that no matter what row you put the formula
in) inside the ROW function call.

--

> Dear Rick,
> Your suggested formula working very well.  However, when I move the B1 to
> B2,
> B2 to B3,……etc.  The result is different. The value is not located in the
> five, it is located in the first 4th cell of B5, however, my
> correspondence
> colume in colume A shows 4.
>
> Do you think I can put a range e.g. column A2:A11 in the function ROW()?
>
> Many thanks,
> Wilchong
>

> Rick Rothstein wrote:
>>You should always ask the question you actually want an answer to rather
>>than asking a simplified question (your e.g. suggests this is not the
>>question you really want an answer to)... the odds are the solution to the
>>simpler problem will not be able to easily be modified to handle the real
>>question. Anyway, here is a formula to do what you asked...
>>
>>=IF(MOD(ROW(),5)=0,"1","")
>>
>>Put it in B1 and copy it down.
>>
>>> There is 1 data set is assumed running in A1 down, viz.:
>>> In A1 down is: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10
>>[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]
>>>
>>> Many thanks, Wilchong

Prevent clicking on a cell

Drop-down list #5

if cell is text move left one column

rounding up values
Has anyone done round up of values to the nearest dollar.For example I want to give a 10% of the price to my customers but if the result is other than .00 then I wanted to round up to the nearest dollar amount.My calculation using sql has been price * percent and then subtract the value from the price, then what do I need to do to roundit up??Thanks for your suggestion.Also I have a problem with my customers that I am extracting and the query does return all the values from 2004 and 2006 that are equal except for the price I have given them, how do I get only the latest ones in 2006 and not th...

fiscal year setting question
hi. i know that the fiscal year settings get more or less set in stone, so i had a quick question before i set it for my org. in the template field, what is that used for? if i select 'quarterly', does that mean i can only run reports on a quarter basis? what if i wanted to do monthly reports? ultimately, my question is what is the 'template' field used for? thanks! Hi Jeff, Fiscal year setting must be aligned to your company's accountig policy. Fiscal year setting primarily defines sales quotas. When you set quarterly periods, you can set quarterly quotas for mem...

Offline Folders #5
I am trying to get an outlook client setup so that it automatically opens offline without prompting the user. Does anyone know if this is possible, if so how to do it. Thanks Phil pearson In the properties of the e-mail account (Tools, Options, Mail Setup, E-mail Accounts, View or Change existing e- mail accounts) if this is an Exchange e-mail account, highlight it and hit Change, then More Settings. Select Manually Control Connection State, then select Work Offline and Use Dialup Networking. This should give you the desired effect. >-----Original Message----- >I am trying ...

Separating Date and Time in a cell

Outlook set up
In MS Outlook 2002: When I send an email, it has my email address in the from field. People receiving it cant tell it is from me, and it gets deleted. How can I make MY NAME appear in that from field instead of my email address? On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 11:17:36 -0800, "etata" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >In MS Outlook 2002: When I send an email, it has my email >address in the from field. People receiving it cant tell >it is from me, and it gets deleted. How can I make MY >NAME appear in that from field instead of my email address? Just a...

Moving Exchange #5

request to solve my problem #5

set print area #2

line chart with NA() values

Automatic changes in cells

Multivalue with Null value SSRS 2005
I have a query to populate a multivalue parameter: SELECT distinct cast(AGRPYear.value as varchar(4)) + AGRPMonth.value 'ReportDate' FROM TPROJECT AS TPROJECT One of the values that is returned from this query is NULL. However, when I run the report, the NULL value does not show in the dropdown. I've also tried adding "select NULL as 'ReportDate' union" to the above query and the null value still doesn't show. As a result some of the records in my database have a null value for this field, they will never show up on my report. Any id...

Run time error 5 : HQClient

Saving #5
Is there a way of speeding up saves in excel or a way to condense the size of a workbook. Jason, This link can help with the size issue... http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlfaqApp.html#Unused Item 2d is the one you want. Regards, Jim Cone San Francisco, USA "Jason Zischke" <JasonZischke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:18CCEA1F-2479-4ED9-A5F6-21B781D0F403@microsoft.com... > Is there a way of speeding up saves in excel or a way to condense the size of > a workbook. ...