Saving Into Columns ?

Hello:

I have copied the following data from a web page that has it listed
as shown below:

311.000     AM      STRATCOM primary
321.000     AM      STRATCOM secondary
243.000     AM      Distress/guard

However, as expected, if I just do a copy (I can only highlight complete
rows)
on these columns that I've highlighted, it wants to put them all in a single
column in Excel.

In other words, 311.000, AM and Stratcom would be all in one cell.

What I would like is to put the column data from the page I've copied into
three separate columns in Excel.  (311.000 in one cell, Am in the next cell
in the row, and Stratcom in the third cell in the row)

Then, to save the spreadsheet in .csv format.

Any way of doing this, please ?

Thanks,
Bob

0
rgsros (38)

Try pasting in in as plain text or paste it into Word, convert to a table,
paste that into Excel.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Robert11" <rgsros@notme.com> wrote in message
> Hello:
>
> I have copied the following data from a web page that has it listed
> as shown below:
>
> 311.000     AM      STRATCOM primary
> 321.000     AM      STRATCOM secondary
> 243.000     AM      Distress/guard
>
> However, as expected, if I just do a copy (I can only highlight complete
> rows)
> on these columns that I've highlighted, it wants to put them all in a
> single column in Excel.
>
> In other words, 311.000, AM and Stratcom would be all in one cell.
>
> What I would like is to put the column data from the page I've copied into
> three separate columns in Excel.  (311.000 in one cell, Am in the next
> cell in the row, and Stratcom in the third cell in the row)
>
> Then, to save the spreadsheet in .csv format.
>
> Any way of doing this, please ?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

0
jl_paules (2768)
9/25/2006 10:45:00 PM
Another alternative is to use DATA>TEXT to COLUMNS Wizard, this gives you the
option of using delimited or fixed length, in this case use fixed length,
which will "insert" column breaks into the data, you accept or move them as
you wish.  Pretty intuitive and easy to use.  Most data from websites can be
parsed this way.

"Robert11" wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I have copied the following data from a web page that has it listed
> as shown below:
>
> 311.000     AM      STRATCOM primary
> 321.000     AM      STRATCOM secondary
> 243.000     AM      Distress/guard
>
> However, as expected, if I just do a copy (I can only highlight complete
> rows)
> on these columns that I've highlighted, it wants to put them all in a single
> column in Excel.
>
> In other words, 311.000, AM and Stratcom would be all in one cell.
>
> What I would like is to put the column data from the page I've copied into
> three separate columns in Excel.  (311.000 in one cell, Am in the next cell
> in the row, and Stratcom in the third cell in the row)
>
> Then, to save the spreadsheet in .csv format.
>
> Any way of doing this, please ?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

0
Reno (24)

open/save office 2003 documents with 2010?
can you open and save in office 2003 format from office 2010? I know you can do that in office 2007. what about opening office 2000 format (I know people who still have office 2000)? On Mon, 17 May 2010 17:36:01 -0700, Jim Michaels wrote: > can you open and save in office 2003 format from office 2010? I know you can > do that in office 2007. > > what about opening office 2000 format (I know people who still have office > 2000)? Here is just one variation you can use - or Save As - choose Save as type 97-2003... Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Visio,...

Saving Monthly Accounts and starting a new Month?
Hi Everyone, I really enjoy the Access Database System it has helped me a lot with my accounts but I must be doing something wrong because, I keep opening new databases for each month instead of it following on from the previous month and using the same "Categories!." So my question is How do I save the previous month and let it be stored, and start a new month on the same system or page but without adding up what has been put in the system... If you know what I`m on about. Thank you Angeldelight... melting in the UK weather :) Hard to advise without some info ...

Defaulting to Details view when opening or saving a PowerPoint fil
In PowerPoint 2003, when opening a file (clicking file>open) the “open” window defaults to the List view. Can the “Details” view be saved as the default? ...

Calendaring agent failed with error code 0x80070005 while saving appointment
Hello, Today I just saw this error message (see below). We are running Exchange Server 2003. Event Type: Error Event Source: EXCDO Event Category: General Event ID: 8206 Date: 1/6/2005 Time: 12:34:04 PM User: N/A Computer: EXCHANGE Description: Calendaring agent failed with error code 0x80070005 while saving appointment. For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp. Data: 0000: 48 72 53 61 76 69 6e 67 HrSaving 0008: 41 70 70 74 3a 3a 48 72 Appt::Hr 0010: 43 68 65 63 6b 50 61 74 CheckPat 0018: 74 65 72 6e 20 66 61 69 tern fai 0020: 6c 65 64 2e 20 50 75...

Saving an Attachment
I am trying to make up a rule in Outlook 2002 to take every message with Subject "ACT! Sync" and save the attachment to a particular folder, then delete the message... I'm sure I have to write a script or perform a custom action, but I'm not sure on how to do this.. can somebody help? There are some utilities that will do that here: http://www.slipstick.com/addins/auto.htm ExLife is one notable. -- Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr **I apologize but I am unable to respond to direct requests for assistance. Please post questio...

Can't save existing .trc file to table Profiler 2008
Hello, I'm new to SQL Profiler. I've created a .trc file and saved it to disk. I can open the .trc file but I want to now save this existing file to a table. When I go under Save As all the options are grayed out. I have another .trc file and when I open that file and select Save As all the options are available. Don't see any differences between the files. If I create a new trace I can save it to a table. Don't understand why when I open that one trace all the Save As options are grayed out. Any help would be appreciated. Gi Hi Gi, You probably have a la...

How to substitute for a non-existing column in a joined table
Hi, Is there a simpler way than a UNION to return a default value of a joined table for which a corresponding row does not exist? The following example (not a working one, of course) illustrates what I'm after. I'd like to return 'N/A' as c2name if there is no matching row in t2 SELECT t1.c1 (CASE t2.t1pk WHEN NULL THEN 'N/A' ELSE t2.name END) AS c2name, FROM t1 LEFT JOIN t2 ON t2.t1pk = t1.pk Thanks. On 2010-04-21 21:05, bob wrote: > Is there a simpler way than a UNION to return a default value of a joined > table for which a ...

Save a Copy/Overwrite changes dialog box
All of a sudden, this dialog box pops up every time I want to save something in Excel 2002. The box says, "The file '<file name>' may have been changed by another user since you last saved it. In that case, what do you want to do? __ Save a Copy __ Overwrite changes even though I'm the only user that's changed anything in the past 3 years. The shared workbook command has not been changed at all, so that can't be the problem. The settings are the same as the ones I have at home for personal spreadsheets that don't have this dialog box. Help! Than...

FORMATING COLUMNS..... HELP
I need to format columns to allow only 7 characters and the rest of the data to go into column B -- JTEFUN "JTEFUN" <JTEFUN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6C5C7A99-E83F-430E-9576-6D1DB57B9311@microsoft.com... >I need to format columns to allow only 7 characters and the rest of the >data > to go into column B > -- > JTEFUN > If you mean that if a user types a lot of data into the one cell and that when they reach 7 characters the rest of the data is automatically inserted into the next cell, then I don't think you can do that....

Rows and Columns Settings Problem
How do you set rows and columns in a way that when you scrol down/column you can always see a certain row(s)/column(s) -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Check out XL Help for "Freeze Panes" In article <JMorgan.1ad5vf@excelforum-nospam.com>, JMorgan <<JMorgan.1ad5vf@excelforum-nospam.com>> wrote: > How do you set rows and columns in a way that when you scroll > down/column you can always see a certain row(s)/column(s). Thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Question re:clustered column w/3D visual effect
I have Excel 2003 Why wont the 3D chart allow you to drag it more open? There is a large open area between the left side and the axis that looks jerky :) In a plain clustered column chart you can click inside to make the frame appear and drag it larger or smaller as you desire. In the 3D, clicking only allows you to change the angles of the 3D box. Am I missing something? thanks, Meenie This should be a hint to avoid the 3D effects. 3D charts are inflexible, but more important, the 3D effects mask the information in the chart. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier Peltier Technical Services, Inc....

BULK Conditional Formatting
I've read the posts on conditional formatting for cell colour based o another cell's value (eg. set the conditional formatting to "formul is" and then "=A1>0" and set the colour as red / blue / whatever...) however wondering if I can do this for an entire column withou individually changing the conditional formatting for each cell one b one (as there are over 400 rows). Basically I need a formula that reads the contents of column B for th particular row that is active. Can anyone help -- Rob Moyl ---------------------------------------------------------------...

Charting depending on criteria & data series name as a column val
I want to chart some prices as I want to take a look at price trends. My problems, and I can not figure out how to solve them, are: 1. Is it possible to dynamically change the chart depending on certain criteria (product family & selected customers) 2. As the number of customers is variable and they are in one of the columns. Is it possible to plot a series (customer name), depending on the name of a column? 3. I want to chart the data based on the date, but just include the dates available, to prevent periods of time showing no change (e.g. I don't want monthly ticks for the x a...

Saving one page -- as Template?
Therre are several pages in a 40-page booklet I want to save to use in future editions. Is there a method to save these pages for re-us? Or must I save the entire publication as a Template? Can I copy single pages and paste in another .pub file? Save the entire document and delete out the pages you don't want. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "cuig" <cuig@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:16052168-6085-43D0-AD8B-2CF4839933FC@microsoft.com... > Therre are several pages in...

Getting back a deleted test frame after saving the changes
My son just deleted a text frame with all his work and started a new text frame and then when asked if he wanted to save his work he clicked yes. Is there any way to retrieve that missing text frame when it won't allow you to undo? On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 16:04:01 +0100, Denise wrote (in article <09056FDE-03FC-4988-8AB0-D1EA0896BFC7@microsoft.com>): > My son just deleted a text frame with all his work and started a new text > frame and then when asked if he wanted to save his work he clicked yes. Is > there any way to retrieve that missing text frame when it won't a...

How do I filter rows based upon a column value
I have a spreadsheet that contains multiple agency id's in a column. When generating reports, I would like to filter per agency and display only the rows associated with that agency. Is there a tutorial or sample on how to do this? Hi It sounds like you are looking for Data / Filter / AutoFilter. Have a look here for some basics: http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter01.html -- Andy. "Jack" <nfr@nospam.com> wrote in message news:eqiU08TVEHA.2988@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > I have a spreadsheet that contains multiple agency id's in a column. When > generati...

columns changed to numbers instead of letters?
I noticed my excel clumns have changed from letters to numbers and forumlas now look like =RC[-1]*R[-3]C[6] I was trying to make the R[-3]C[6] static (using the $) but it errors. Thanks Mike In Excel Options uncheck "R1C1 Reference Style" Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 20:25:30 -0400, Mike <no_please@not.com> wrote: >I noticed my excel clumns have changed from letters to numbers and >forumlas now look like =RC[-1]*R[-3]C[6] >I was trying to make the R[-3]C[6] static (using the $) but it errors. >Thanks >Mike ...

How do I remove cross hatches in Sigma column
Addition of a column results in cross hatches. How do I get rid of the cross hatches and simply have the sum printed in the column? Widen the cell so the resulting value will fit. Excel does this so you don't accidentally SEE a number that's LESS than the actual number, which is what would occur if the column wasn't wide enough. ************ Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "YHESSLER@EXAMPLE.COM" <YHESSLER@EXAMPLE.COM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:08545D7F-E1B3-4879-A7DB-A2B723DDCD3F@microsoft.com... > Addition of a column results in cro...

Column names
Is there any code to convert column(number) to column(letters), and V.V. e.g. 27 for AA, AB for 28 Thanks =COLUMN(AA:AA) -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "daniel chen" <danchen@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:eRRce.675942$w62.535613@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net... > Is there any code to convert column(number) to column(letters), and V.V. > e.g. 27 for AA, AB for 28 > Thanks > Hi, Peo Great! Thanks. How about the other way? i.e. 27 for AA "Peo Sjoblom" <terre08@mvps.org> wrote in message news:%23MpiXScTFHA.2560@TK2MSFTNG...

comparing 2 similar columns on seperate work sheets in 1 workbook
How can I compare a column from worksheet 1 to a column in worksheet 2 of the same work book? BTW, the cell my have a number or text in it but not formulas "Dan" wrote: > How can I compare a column from worksheet 1 to a column in worksheet 2 of the > same work book? What are you looking for? If you want to find out if each cell in Column A of sheet1 appears in column A of sheet2, you could use a helper column of formulas: =isnumber(match(a1,sheet2!a:a,0)) and drag down And you could use the same kind of formula that will tell you if values in sheet2 appear in sheet1. ...

Save data before printing
Hello all, An acquiantence is programming in Excel 2003 and has a sheet where theuser enters receipt data. When he is done, he clicks a boton to copythe data from the sheet to another in tabular form withinthe same workbook. What he needs to do is to implement a lock so that the user can't print out the receipt until after he has clicked the boton. His button click event code is the following: Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() Application.ScreenUpdating = False 'Copy data to BD2 sheet Sheets("BD2").Unprotect With Sheets("BD2").Range("A1000&qu...

Add numbers accross columns after stripping away text
I have the following data in a spreadsheet: A1 B1 C1 D1 E1 F1 4.5f 6f 3.5f 3f 7.25f I need to be able to add the numbers together to give me 24.25, i.e. strip the fs away. The numbers will always be less than 10 and the there will only ever be .25 or.5 or .75 after the number (I don't know whether that is significant?). If anyone can show me how to do this I would be very grateful. I have been messing around with MID and FIND to no avail and then started thinking that SUMPRODUCT might have to get involved but it all got a bit m...

pivot table, How to add 1 column
I just need to add one column only but pivot table create another one? I thinkc because I have a column with 2 parameters. I can turn on / off with the field drop down menu How can I get around with this problem? Thanks Daniel ...

Cross referencing named row with named column
I'm trying to find a way to cross reference a column named June with a row named Sales but cant figure out what the syntax is. I thought it used to be =June|Sales but it doesnt seem to work. Hi try =INDEX(A1:H20,MATCH("June",A1:H1,0),MATCH("Sales",A1:A20,0)) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "davide212" <davide212@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:917620B9-9182-45C8-9D0F-56B0878CF617@microsoft.com... > I'm trying to find a way to cross reference a column named June with a row > named Sales but cant figure out ...

Saving emails to harddrive
I get several emails regarding various topics and I'd like to save them by topic on my harddrive. Usually I have to copy the text to notepad and then to .docx. on Word 2007. Surely there is a better way to save emails to the harddrive. I just drag them from Outlook Express into the folder window where I want to keep them. Hope this helps. Pete On Oct 15, 2:06 pm, bretsharon <bretsha...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I get several emails regarding various topics and I'd like to save them by > topic on my harddrive. Usually I have to copy the text to notepad a...