Save As versus Save

I've created a spreadsheet that I need to make accessible to our managers.
They will need to open the form fill it in and save the new form with their
information.  How do I force them to use the "Save As" command versus the
"Save"?
0
Sara (51)

"Sara" <Sara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've created a spreadsheet that I need to make accessible to our managers.
> They will need to open the form fill it in and save the new form with
> their
> information.  How do I force them to use the "Save As" command versus the
> "Save"?

By making it open in read-Only mode.....then the user can't "save", they
have to "save as"....

Thanks it worked like a charm

"Gordon" wrote:

> "Sara" <Sara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've created a spreadsheet that I need to make accessible to our managers.
> > They will need to open the form fill it in and save the new form with
> > their
> > information.  How do I force them to use the "Save As" command versus the
> > "Save"?
>

> By making it open in read-Only mode.....then the user can't "save", they
> have to "save as"....

0
Sara (51)
11/12/2008 3:59:01 PM
> Thanks it worked like a charm

YW!

Hi,

You can also make the form file an *.xlt (template file)

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Sara" wrote:

> I've created a spreadsheet that I need to make accessible to our managers.
> They will need to open the form fill it in and save the new form with their
> information.  How do I force them to use the "Save As" command versus the
> "Save"?

Can not save the file
Hi, I try to save the modified file; after I click the save button on the toolbar, the Microsoft Office Access message box appear and the message is: The Save operation failed. What is wrong? What should I change to save my file? On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 11:53:03 -0800, Ac <Ac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, > >I try to save the modified file; after I click the save button on the >toolbar, the Microsoft Office Access message box appear and the message is: >The Save operation failed. What is wrong? What should I change to save my >file? What are you trying t...

how to close Read Only file without prompt to save copy
Hi I'm working on an Excel file that will always be opened as Read Only by users. To save confusion I would rather the user is not prompted to save the file on exit. I've tried application.displayAlerts = False in the Workbook BeroreClose event code but no joy so far. Is it posible to achieve this? Thanks Try Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean) Me.Close False End Sub -- Jacob (MVP - Excel) "David" wrote: > Hi > I'm working on an Excel file that will always be opened as Read Only by users. > To save confusion I wou...

Truncating of a CSV Filename before saving
Hi I have some .csv files of stocks which I download from the Internet and are saved in the following format 01-09-2008-TO-04-01-2009RELINFRAEQN.csv 01-09-2008-TO-04-01-2009JPASSOCIATXN.csv 01-09-2008-TO-07-01-2009POWERGRIDEQN.csv I would like to run a common macro such that I can again save them as .csv files but with only the stock name, i.e. as RELINFRA.csv, JPASSOCIAT.csv, POWERGRID.csv. The prefix (01-09-2008....04-01-2009) and the suffix (EQN or XN, whichever is the case) needs to be removed from each filename I hope I could convey my requirement. Thks in advance. Shriil ...

Save last look up criteria
I love that the navigation pane allows you to customize your view for each user. I would love to see the Look Up windows throughout GP SAVE the Last Look Up method the User chose rather than keep switching to the default. Find this frustrating as we rarely use the default look up method. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-bas...

Why does saving take SOOO long?
On my colleague's machine an Excel 2003 file takes 4 or 5 seconds to save On mine the same file take between 22 and 25 seconds. Why? My PC has a stonking big powerful dual-core processor (the laptop cost �1000) I have many gigs of free-space My disk is thoroughly defragged My colleague has a very run of the mill business laptop For other things my PC is faster or the same as his What can I do, because this is becoming frustrating. Thanks M You may have many temporary files on your computer that need to be cleaned out. It could even be that somehow, your Exc...

Saving after each change
hi - I have a bound continuous form with many textboxes for data input. Currently, the record is saved only when I go to a new record. What is the best way to get the record saved after each entry? This form is synchronized with another form that I monitor. It would help if this 2nd form updated 'continuously'. ------ thanks cinnie Save record after each entry in form --- Hi Cinnie, make this procedure in a general module: '~~~~~~~~~~~ Function SaveTheForm(pForm As Form) If pForm.Dirty Then pForm.Dirty = False DoEvents End Function '~~~~~~~~~~~ then, in th...

Excel is saving on opening
Hi wondering if any of you gurus can help me out, when I open excel 2003 my computer is auto saving, the problem is this is appearing to be locked and as soon as it is saved will try to save again, behaving as if its looped in saves. ...

Excel Save As... text with special characters
Hi! When saving an Excel worksheet as tab-delimited text, cells containing double-quote (") or comma (,) are surrounded by double-quotes in the resulting text file. I would like to be able to induce or control the quoting of cell values in tab-delimited text output. Specifically, I would like the content of cells containing space ( ) to be quoted in the text output. Is this possible? Thanks, Brynturk You will probably have to a macro to export the file according to your specs. Seach Google for examples. On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 17:15:01 -0700, "Brynturk" <Brynturk@disc...

CRM email saved into draft folder
Hi, I have seen a strange behaviour in the SFA. Scenario: - Email sent through Outlook normail way - Promoted to CRM from Sent Items - When the user replies to the reply the email is saved in draft and not in sent items. It seems that other later replies is saved into sent items. There doesn't seems to be a rule for this ? Is there any known issues regarding this ? SH ...

Temp file grows(no-end)when Excel97 attempts to save to net-2003Se
With some Excel 97 spreadsheets, saving to the H: drive will cause the cursor to change to an hourglass until you do Ctrl-Alt-Del to end-task Excel. The same file can be saved to the hard drive of your PC or to a floppy disk without a problem. Further research revealed that what was happening was that a temporary file was growing without stopping when Excel attempted to save to a network drive (the H: drive) on a Windows 2003 server. We have found out there are many people who have experienced this problem but have yet to find anyone w/a solution, Can you help? (any suggestions?...

IE8 saving favorites to wronf spot (Vista)
Heya all. Just upgraded to IE8 a few weeks ago. I am having a problem with the saves files/directory. It took some time but the problem appears to be that when I click the "favorites" button then the "Add to favorites" button, it brings up a list of folders to put the link under. It appears to be saving these at: Sean --> Favorites --> Links --> Sean When I am using IE8, then click on the favorites button and try to pull up a new link that I saved it is missing. When it open the favorites folders it appears to be doing so from: Local disk ...

Help! Can't seem to save custom view settings for "IMAP Messages"
I am using Outlook 2003 and connect to an IMAP server where I am trying to modify the default view for IMAP folders (which is "IMAP Messages") to my liking. I followed these instructions from a book: "In most cases, changing the current view affects only the current folder's view. To change the view across all folders, you must modify the view, not customize it. Open the Custom View Organizer using View, Arrange By, Current View, Define Views and select the view by name (not <current view settings>), and then choose Modify." I did exactly what was written. On...

Cannot leave and save current record when using SetFocus
Re Access 2003 SP3 I have a continuous form which tests the OldValue against the current value property for each control (Comboboxes, Textboxes & a Check box) in the BeforeUpdate event. If they are different, a function (LogChangedData()) is called from this event which logs the changes. This function compiles a text string with the old & new values for those controls the user has changed – for audit purposes. The problem is – I need to SetFocus on a textbox to compare the old and the new values, but, by doing this as part of the BeforeUpdate event, I cannot move of...

save worksheet to a seperate new file
I have a workbook every month that contains of several worksheets. The total of these worksheets are different from month to month depending on which branch is active. My problem is I need to save each worksheet to a new separate file every month. I think I need to create Macro but just don't know how. For example the workbook this month contains 8 tabs/sheets like: branch 3; branch 8; branch 11; etc. And last month it contained only 6 tabs/sheets. The other problem is I need to name the new file just like the name of respective sheet. So for instance the new file for sheet Branch 3 wou...

Save a header or Footer
How do you save a header or footer then recall it to a new worksheet. ...

Saving data
1> I save a worksheet. 2> later, when I go to open it, it has an earlier save date and has old data. i.e. it didn't save. However, if I save it on a flash drive, it does work/save. Is this a problem with Excell 2007, Vista or my PC. Morgan, novice, Vista Hm Prem. Do a Save As and carefully note where the file is saved - the <exact> folder location Close Excel Now open <exactly> that folder and that file Still have the wrong data? best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "PennsyNut" <Penn...

Password does not save in outlook 2003
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C45B68.16BC1D90 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Dear Friends, Please help !!!!! I did a clean install of office 2003. The first thing I tested was out = look 2003 and it is broken. Out look does not save password. Every time I try to receive message it = asks me for the password. I am checking the password save check box = every time with no success. I cleaned all registry settings and did install it three times with no = success. Any suggestions...

How to save excel data into text file with space delimited
Hi, I am a newbee of excel. I do have a question about how to save dat in excel file into text file with space delimited( the default one i tab)? And I also want to know how to just select some column to export the default one is export all the column).... Thanks in advanc -- wingl ----------------------------------------------------------------------- winglj's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2442 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=38020 Choose "Formatted Text (Space delimited)(*.prn)" for question #1. ...

Automate 'Save As' Function
Hi I would like to ensure that my staff save emails in the relevant folders once they have been read. Is there any way that I can set Outlook 2000 to prompt users to 'Save As' once an email has been opened/read? I realise the user will still have to locate the relevant folder and rename the file, but at least this will prompt them to do it! Any assistance greatly appreciated. Many thanks Peter Why don't you use/enforce the AutoArchive settings? Saving the e-mails to a filesystem is not very efficient is disk space and is not very convenient either. Why do you you want this/...

AutoNumber versus form record number
Using Office 2003 and Windows XP; I have a bound form. The table the form is bound to contains an AutoNumber column named Num which is also a primary key for the table. As the form is scrolled, the record number of course, changes. 1) Is the record number shown on the form ALWAYS equal to the AutoNumber generated for that record in the table? 2) Is there a way to obtain the record number (shown in the form)? If so, what would the code look like to return this number in a variable? Thanks much in advance. (1) If you have the control bound to the autonumber field. (2) variable = contro...

'document not saved' for 'save' or 'save as' an EXCEL file
How to resolve the error 'document not saved' for 'save' or 'save as' an EXCEL file? Judy Could be lots of things... You may want to temporarily turn off your antivirus program to see if that's the problem. Maybe it's a network permission problem (see your IT folks). Do you have any more specifics? Judy Chuang wrote: > > How to resolve the error 'document not saved' for 'save' or 'save as' an > EXCEL file? > > Judy -- Dave Peterson ...

how to save a bmp from the clipboard to a file
Hello Im really stuck with this one, cus im a bit out of my legue i found this code that copies the screen to the clipboard and I can paste the picture into paint but I want to know how to save it as a bmp file. CWnd *pWndThis= (CWnd *) this; CBitmap BitmapClip; CClientDC ClientDC(this); CDC MemDC; CRect rc; pWndThis->GetClientRect(&rc); BitmapClip.CreateCompatibleBitmap( &ClientDC,rc.Width(),rc.Height()); MemDC.CreateCompatibleDC(&ClientDC); MemDC.SelectObject(&BitmapClip); MemDC.BitBlt(0,0,rc.Width(),rc.Height(),&ClientDC,0,0,SRCCOPY...

saving password
Outlook will not save my password when sending/receiving new messages, even when checking the save password box. Any suggestions? ...

Just put Cd-rom disc in to save Excel Spreadsheet and its not let
Need to save Spreadsheet on CD- Wont let me do it!!Says incorrect function I dont have access to Drive D!!!!!What is this?? Need help Fast!!! morgan51, it is best to save to your hard drive first and then put the file on the CD as you would any other file -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "morgan51" <morgan51@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A60E4F38-747F-445C-AC54-66E662B7C17B@microsoft...

How to save an Excel 2007 Chart as a xml File.
I have a Excel 2007 file. It has a data source and a chart on the same worksheet. I would like to save this file as a xml file. The problem is not saving the file as xml but once the xml file is created excel is only creating a xml file with the data and NOT to chart. Can excel output a chart as a xml file. Any help. Thanks. If you save your workbook to .xlsx, rename the file to a .zip file extension, open it up, go to the xl folder, you will see a chart1.xml file that represents just the chart with cached values. There is no such thing as "Save chart to XML" in Excel; it...