running balance

Hi I need help figuring out a formula for a running balance.  I have 3
columns one called deposits, another called petty cash disbursements and
another called expenses.  I want to be able to know how can I get the total
amount of money that I have on an account even though I keep on entering
different dollar amounts at all times.  I know that the formula =A39-B39 is
giving me the amount for the first two columns, but I don't know what to do
for the third column.

I would really appreciate it if someone can help me out.
Thanks.
Jackie
0
jackie (70)

deposits-disbursements-expenses+previous balance

In cell D2 put  =A2-B2-C2
In cell D3 put  =A3-B3-C3+D2

hope this helps

0
anonymous (74722)
1/5/2005 12:23:13 PM
how about an array formula?

Type into D2 (or where ever you want to see the running balance)
=sum(A2:A1000)-sum(B2:B1000)-sum(C2:C1000) then do ctrl+shift+enter

each time you enter new dollar amounts in the columns (all as positive
numbers by the way) the amount balance in D2 will change to reflect the new
transaction.

HTH cwilson

"Jackie" wrote:

> Hi I need help figuring out a formula for a running balance.  I have 3
> columns one called deposits, another called petty cash disbursements and
> another called expenses.  I want to be able to know how can I get the total
> amount of money that I have on an account even though I keep on entering
> different dollar amounts at all times.  I know that the formula =A39-B39 is
> giving me the amount for the first two columns, but I don't know what to do
> for the third column.
>
> I would really appreciate it if someone can help me out.
> Thanks.
> Jackie
0
CWILSON1 (28)
1/5/2005 3:53:05 PM
Thanks a lot.  The array formula worked.

"cwilson" wrote:

> how about an array formula?
>
> Type into D2 (or where ever you want to see the running balance)
> =sum(A2:A1000)-sum(B2:B1000)-sum(C2:C1000) then do ctrl+shift+enter
>
> each time you enter new dollar amounts in the columns (all as positive
> numbers by the way) the amount balance in D2 will change to reflect the new
> transaction.
>
> HTH cwilson
>
> "Jackie" wrote:
>
> > Hi I need help figuring out a formula for a running balance.  I have 3
> > columns one called deposits, another called petty cash disbursements and
> > another called expenses.  I want to be able to know how can I get the total
> > amount of money that I have on an account even though I keep on entering
> > different dollar amounts at all times.  I know that the formula =A39-B39 is
> > giving me the amount for the first two columns, but I don't know what to do
> > for the third column.
> >
> > I would really appreciate it if someone can help me out.
> > Thanks.
> > Jackie
0
jackie (70)
1/5/2005 5:13:02 PM
Why would you have to enter this as an array -- works as a simple formula (no
need to do the ctrl+shift+enter)  What would an array do that a normal formula
wouldnt?

"cwilson" <cwilson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
: how about an array formula?
:
: "Jackie" wrote:
:
: > Hi I need help figuring out a formula for a running balance.  I have 3
: > columns one called deposits, another called petty cash disbursements and
: > another called expenses.  I want to be able to know how can I get the total
: > amount of money that I have on an account even though I keep on entering
: > different dollar amounts at all times.  I know that the formula =A39-B39 is
: > giving me the amount for the first two columns, but I don't know what to do
: > for the third column.
: >
: > I would really appreciate it if someone can help me out.
: > Thanks.
: > Jackie

0
nospam202 (664)
1/5/2005 6:57:51 PM
hi again.
oops. forgot to add copy cell d3 down.
sorry.

0
anonymous (74722)
1/5/2005 7:15:51 PM
that is not what i call a running balance. that is just a
balance.

0
anonymous (74722)
1/5/2005 7:18:22 PM
You are correct.  I don't know why I had it as an array.  To much going on at
once maybe.  Thanks though.  Good catch.

"Lady Layla" wrote:

> Why would you have to enter this as an array -- works as a simple formula (no
> need to do the ctrl+shift+enter)  What would an array do that a normal formula
> wouldnt?
>

> "cwilson" <cwilson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> : how about an array formula?
> :
> : Type into D2 (or where ever you want to see the running balance)
> : =sum(A2:A1000)-sum(B2:B1000)-sum(C2:C1000) then do ctrl+shift+enter
> :
> : each time you enter new dollar amounts in the columns (all as positive
> : numbers by the way) the amount balance in D2 will change to reflect the new
> : transaction.
> :
> : HTH cwilson
> :
> : "Jackie" wrote:
> :
> : > Hi I need help figuring out a formula for a running balance.  I have 3
> : > columns one called deposits, another called petty cash disbursements and
> : > another called expenses.  I want to be able to know how can I get the total
> : > amount of money that I have on an account even though I keep on entering
> : > different dollar amounts at all times.  I know that the formula =A39-B39 is
> : > giving me the amount for the first two columns, but I don't know what to do
> : > for the third column.
> : >
> : > I would really appreciate it if someone can help me out.
> : > Thanks.
> : > Jackie

0
CWILSON1 (28)
1/5/2005 7:31:11 PM
OP wants to know how much money at any one time..... the Formula here works just
fine without having to page down to the bottom of the entries to see the total

: that is not what i call a running balance. that is just a
: balance.
:
: >Type into D2 (or where ever you want to see the running
: balance)
: >=sum(A2:A1000)-sum(B2:B1000)-sum(C2:C1000) then do
: ctrl+shift+enter
: >
: >each time you enter new dollar amounts in the columns
: (all as positive
: >numbers by the way) the amount balance in D2 will change
: to reflect the new
: >transaction.
: >
: >HTH cwilson
: >
: >"Jackie" wrote:
: >
: >> Hi I need help figuring out a formula for a running
: balance.  I have 3
: >> columns one called deposits, another called petty cash
: disbursements and
: >> another called expenses.  I want to be able to know how
: can I get the total
: >> amount of money that I have on an account even though I
: keep on entering
: >> different dollar amounts at all times.  I know that the
: formula =A39-B39 is
: >> giving me the amount for the first two columns, but I
: don't know what to do
: >> for the third column.
: >>
: >> I would really appreciate it if someone can help me out.
: >> Thanks.
: >> Jackie
: >.
: >

0
nospam202 (664)
1/6/2005 7:04:46 PM
Well sorry I wasn't sure if balance was the  correct term since my balance
keeps on changing constantly when I enter new data.

"anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" wrote:

> that is not what i call a running balance. that is just a
> balance.

0
jackie (70)

Message popping up while running a chart from Visual Basic app
Hi, I run reports in Excel(chart) from Visual Basic. It was working fin when it was developed on NT Machine having Excel 2000. BUt now when th application is moved onto XP Machine I have Excel 2002. Now when I ru on XP Machine I get a message "Microsoft Excel cannot find any data to replace.Check if your searc formatting and criteria are defined correctly.If you are sure tha matching data exists in this workbook,it may be on a protecte sheet.Excel cannot replace data on a protected workseet". The lines where I get this error message in code is oleExcel.object.worksheets(XLS_SHEET_NAM...

run time error -2147352567
Help! I keep getting run time error -2147352567 "The data has been changed" on my form. The error is generated when I click on a button the opens up a report for me. Here is the VBA. (Submitting just tells if strRQD is "NotMet") Private Sub Command53_Click() 'Print Preview Call Submitting If strRQD = "NotMet" Then strMessage = strMessage + Chr(13) + strDetails + Chr(13) + "Would you like to print these issues on the report?" Select Case MsgBox(strMessage, vbYesNoCancel) Case 6 'Yes Me.IssuesComments = strDetail...

M2006 reconcile downloaded balances
It's new month so I UPDATE my accouts, download the dividend info etc and when I'm done I click on "View downloaded statements" and I can see that my rollover account is off. The "bank balance" is 68.13 more than my "local balance". Yet I don't see a way of reconciling that without getting out a pencil and writing down the 2 numbers and then searching thru my register. I've been trying but do see a "show me the details" option. Can someone tell me how to maybe get a side-by-side listing of the DETAILS of the bank vs Money statement...

i need to have more text options in a running writting font
I have to format a logo from a hand written sign. The text "Script MT Bold" is quite acceptable but the 'f' needs to have a loop on the bottom not on the top. The dot above the 'i' needs to be round not square. Is there any way I can develop the text that I need or change the actual letters? I have done the work in 2003 Publisher. I use Brush Script MT and the letters are properly portrayed. The loop for the "f" is on the bottom and the dot over the "i" looks rounds. If I can be of help, send me a note to: dschmidt AT pacifier DOT com -...

Form code runs too quickly
I have the following code attached to my form - works fine other than when the form is first opened. If the third "if" is true, the code runs before the form is even open! Any way to have the form open first before the message box displays? Just one more small point - what syntax do I use to have the message in the message box show on two lines and also have double quotes around "Job Complete" (as I have just typed)? Private Sub Form_Current() If IsNull(txtDateCollected) Then Me.lblJobComplete.Visible = False Me.chkJobComplete.Visible = False ...

Money 04 account balance rounding error
I am using Money 2004 Deluxe, and when I was checking my account balance (checking account) against what the bank said, I found I was off by $0.01 (Money was higher). After going back through my 15 months of transactions, I couldn't find any discrepancies (I had encountered an off-by-one-cent error previously that was a data entry problem). After adjusting some dates on a few transactions, I found that the balance had corrected itself (thus matching the bank)! After checking a backup copy of my data, I realised that the only difference was that I was choosing to display "All Date...

Exmerge won't run
I can't get Exmerge to run on our new Exchane03 server with sp2. It gets to the point where it check for the list of mailboxes and just sets there. It just doesn't retrieve them, Any ideas? OK, I get an error "Error opening message store". I am running this as an enterprise admin. What is going on? "Brandon Baker" <brandon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:uW5uPsLMGHA.2916@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... >I can't get Exmerge to run on our new Exchane03 server with sp2. It gets to >the point where it check for the list of mailboxes ...

Strange problem while running MFC 7.0 apps on Windows 2000
Hello, I'm writing an MFC 7.1 program and it runs smoothly on XP and 98. However, on Windows 2000 I encountered a strange message saying that The application failed to initailize properly (0xc0000005). Click on OK to terminate the application. Thus I try to install VS.Net 2003 on a Win2k machine and run my EXE from VS.Net IDE. The debugging outputs are attached below. Any clues / suggestions / solutions are appreciated. My program uses VS.Net 2003 (MFC 7.1, link as static library) and CImage class in that. The GDIPlus.dll is copied from .Net framework 1.1.3705. TIA, Arthur ...

Lookup button in named printer run-time selection window
I found this information about Named Printers in the managed newsgroup, and it works exactly as stated: "Under the Company Series you will find a Custom Report Printer which can be used to define the printer for all custom reports. If you want to be able to choose the printer you can, select a printer class but leave the Printer ID blank... this will ask for a printer ID of the appropriate class." I can use this solution with a client needing to print two different versions of their receivables statements, but I can see a potential improvement. My suggestion is to add a lo...

Payables Invoice Fully Applied Zero Balance
I have a fully-applied zero balance AP invoice that did not move to history. I've found TechKnowledge Doc #15269 that says it's a known issue when you writeoff an invoice but I'm not showing any indication that this was a writeoff. Any suggestions on how to fix outside of running check links? ...

discover card balance
Hi, I am using the essential register. For my discover card, all my transactions are complete. A payment was just received which should have made my balance 0. However, my balance is way high. I've looked at a bunch of threads and help and cannot seem to get the answer I need. Can someone help please? In microsoft.public.money, loopyloop wrote: > > >I am using the essential register. For my discover card, all my transactions >are complete. A payment was just received which should have made my balance >0. However, my balance is way high. I've looked at a bunch of ...

Money Keeps Running
Money 2007 and Windows XP Pro This has been reported here before. I'm wondering if there is any fix (other than to go get a cup of coffee while Money does its backup and closes). If I close Money and create a backup, and If I change focus to another program/window while Money is doing the backup, then although Money closes on screen, the money process remains (visible in the task manager). The problem is if that one cannot restart a visible Money session when Money is in this status, as the Money program thinks it is running. --ron No known fixes. I don't think it's been re...

watcher run at clock times
I have a couple of watcher programs running on a client's system. They all run on intervals of 10 minutes or so. But they would like one of them to run 4 times per hour - at the top of the hour, 15, 30 and 45 after the hour. Is this possible? If so, how? Thanks, Keith On 12/9/2009 7:45 PM, Keith G Hicks wrote: > I have a couple of watcher programs running on a client's system. They all > run on intervals of 10 minutes or so. But they would like one of them to run > 4 times per hour - at the top of the hour, 15, 30 and 45 after the hour. Is > this poss...

PM Beginning Balance
We recently installed GP 10.0 and used integration manager to import GL balances. When I run the Reconcile to GL, I have beginning balances for PM and zero for GL. While the GL is doing as expected, I don't understand where the PM balance is coming from. Any ideas how to get beginning for PM to zero? Did you import any open payables transactions? Frank Hamelly MCP-GP, MCT, MVP East Coast Dynamics www.eastcoast-dynamics.com Yes. All open invoices where put into a imported into a batch and then posted. "Frank Hamelly, MCP-GP, MCT, MVP" wrote: > Did you import any open p...

Toolbar button to run a VBA macro
I have written a VBA macro in Publisher 2003 that makes some formatting changes. It works fine. I would like to create a toolbar button that I can click to run this code. How do I do that? I am familiar with customizing toolbars in other Office apps: In Excel, on the Commands tab, there is a Macros category, and it contains the commands Custom Menu Item and Custom Button. I don't find that in Publisher. If I try to copy another button with the intention of changing its function, when I right-click the copied button, there's nothing on the menu that allows me to attach a macro to the...

Unable to Balance after Archive
We just upgraded to Money 2004. After loading it in we determined that our money file was getting excessive. We decided to Archive Data prior to 1/1/02. Now during reconciliation, none of the beginning balances in Money reflect what the ending balance was last month. Not sure how to proceed. Can't balance any accounts except new ones that started since '02. I think the problem is related to items dated in 12/01 (archived out), but, did not reflected until the 1/02 statement. Any help in rebalancing all these accounts so they show the correct amount with the new stateme...

Outlook will not run an start up as a scheduled task
I have set up Outlook 2003 as a schduled task to run at start up. It doesn't run because "the scheduled task did not run because an incorrect password or user name was entered". I have not created any password in Outlook. Any ideas? Pete Outlook is not suitable to run from the Windows task scheduler. If you want it to run at Windows startup, add a shortcut to Outlook.exe to the Programs | Startup group. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com...

FRx picking up wrong balance
For some reason, our FRx balance sheet report isn't picking up the correct balance for one of the accounts as of 11/30/07. It works fine as of 10/31, but when I run the report as of 11/30 nothing prints. There was activity in period 11, and the 11/30 balance shows up fine in GP (both in the Inquiry screen and on a printed Trial Balance). I rebuilt the G32 files, but that didn't help. Any ideas? -- Bud Cool, Accounting System Manager HDA, Inc. Hazelwood, MO GP 9.0, SP2 Never mind....our account structure is xxx-yyyyyy-zzz, and we thought there was only one yyyyyy account set ...

Money06 & Money Online: Some Account Balances Sync, But Not Transactions...?
I have Money 2006, and use it with MSN MoneyCentral. For the most part, it works. There are a couple of accounts that initially synced the balances that were pulled from the source (or Yodlee) when I set it up, but the transactions didn't pull. Just a blank register with a correct balance. New transactions for those accounts that show at the billers site are not pulling to MSN MoneyCentral accounts, so not to Money 2006 either. Anyone run into this and figure out what's going on...? THANKS! ...

How do you manually enter an account balance?
Using Money Essentials, I've been struggling to manually enter my account balance from scratch, as the online component is utterly unnecessary and unwanted for me. I remember the '04 version was so much more intuitive, yet the latest one is a rubicks cube in comparison. Can anyone help me please? Essentials is a very very cut down version and was aimed at the newbie who wanted everything as automatic as possible. It is a waste of space and your money. Bob Peel "Anwar" <Anwar @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ACF68D48-718A-4C38-9...

Error when running Z report
When I generate the report I get the initial filter screen, and when I click ok to view the report, I get the following error message: "The report could not be loaded due to the following error: (-2147217900) Cannot truncate table 'Cashier' because it is being refrenced by a FOREIGN KEY constraint. Hey Daniel did you ever got that problem fix with the Run-Time Error "2147217900" Cannot truncrate 'Cashier' becuase it belong to a foreign key. If so, Can you tell me how to do it Thanks Robert. "Daniel" wrote: > When I generate the report I get...

How do I run outlook for the first time, to get the mail icon?
I want to set up multiple email accounts. Help menu indicates start - control panel - user accounts - mail, with a note that the mail icon will only appear after program is run first time. Basically, how do I get to see the mail icon? The mail icon should be in the control panel as soon as outlook is installed but you can go to the outlook shortcut on the Start menu, All programs, Microsoft Office to run outlook. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips...

Run-time error 3075
I am getting the following error when I run this code and the has a letter in the value. Does anyone have a suggestion as to why? Run-time error '3075'; Syntax error (missing operator) in query epression 'ItemParent=9804-025 V1'. ----------------------Code----------------------------- Private Sub LookUpBomItem_AfterUpdate() Dim SID As String Dim rsc As DAO.Recordset Dim db As Database Set rsc = Me.RecordsetClone Set db = CurrentDb SID = "ItemParent=" & Me.LookUpBomItem.Value 'Record not found add re...

Exmerge on Running Information Store
Can we use Exmerge on current running production Information store to export a particular user's mailbox? His account has been disabled? will this be a problem? Or export has to be done from a recent backup? if the account is disabled, you won't be able to run exmerge against it...unless you add some permissions...or you could just re-enable the account, but expire it, instead...then you can run exmerge against it... -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "Mallik Vatti" <MallikVatti@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3F06D0F1-36E5-4F43-BDCF-902CA8D0DC50@microsoft.co...

receipt for a customer's account showing the available balance
Is there a receipt template that shows the available balance on a account? We have several customers that pre-pay on their account and they would like to be able to see how much money they have left in their account after a purchase. This way they know when to add more funds. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader...