Resetting default row height to allow display of wrapped text

I'm using Excel 2000 and XP Pro.  I'm formatting a text page whereby users
can input text into a column and I want the text to wrap so that whatever
the length of their text we see it all.  On a default page it works fine.
However I tinkered with the row height for font purposes and now the text
will wrap but the row won't expand to fit the whole text.  How do I reset
the row/sheet or whatever to get the display I want?  Thanks

--
Stilson Snow

0
snow1 (3)

There is a limit to how much text will display within a cell and how much
text displays in the formula bar.  Goto excel help and enter limits. Only
1,024 chars will display in a cell.  For some reason, Microsoft has not
expanded on this for a decade.  I believe 123QuattroPro (excel's rival) has a
larger limit.  I know it has more than Excel's limit of 65,536 rows.  I think
it runs to 1,000,000 for Quattro.

"Stilson" wrote:

> I'm using Excel 2000 and XP Pro.  I'm formatting a text page whereby users
> can input text into a column and I want the text to wrap so that whatever
> the length of their text we see it all.  On a default page it works fine.
> However I tinkered with the row height for font purposes and now the text
> will wrap but the row won't expand to fit the whole text.  How do I reset
> the row/sheet or whatever to get the display I want?  Thanks
>
> --
> Stilson Snow

0
Mike1154 (1216)
8/29/2005 8:45:39 PM
If you've ever set the rowheight manually, then excel won't autofit that row
when the text changes.  If you autofit the row, then excel will autofit it, too.

And when you have lots of text in a cell, you may have to enter alt-enters
(every 80-100 characters) to see more than the documented 1024 characters.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Transposing Columns to Rows
Hi all, I have been trying to figure this out, but with no luck. What I have is a table with data: Letter String A STR1 A STR2 A STR3 A STR4 B STR5 B STR6 etc What I would like to get it into a table, but organized this way: Letter Strings A STR1, STR2, STR3, STR4 B STR5, STR6 etc I have looked at pivot tables and Crosstab queries, but can=92t figure this out. I was playing with some code, but couldn=92t decide if I need a For Each Loop, or a While Not.EOF. Any help would be greatly...

Is there an easy way to filter duplicate rows of data in excel?
When I run a query and download the information to Excel, there will be duplicate rows of data (If a product went through an operation twice). I want to filter out the duplicate rows. With the amount of data I'm working with, it is too difficult to filter manually. "Yumin" wrote: > When I run a query and download the information to Excel, there will be > duplicate rows of data (If a product went through an operation twice). I > want to filter out the duplicate rows. With the amount of data I'm working > with, it is too difficult to filter manually. ...

Allow multiple General Ledger distribution accounts in cashbook/B.
In Cashbook/BM you can only enter one distribution account when entering GL type payments or receipts in the CBM payments and deposits entry screens. Often, especially with payments, there is a need to distribute the expense to more than one GL account. This is a user request from Pan Pac Forest products and has been submitted several years ago to the authors of the Cashbook product. ...

remove excess (unwanted) rows from the bottom of a speadsheet
I have some spreadsheets submitted to me that are upto 65000 rows, with only the first 4000 rows used. How can I remove these unwanted rows. Deleting only replaces teh rows with new blank rows. At the moment I am cutting / pasting in to a new worksheet and then re-establishing all the links. THere must be an easier way. You can't remove them, as the sheet is a fixed size. However, you can hide them. Select the rows below the data then click on Format | Rows | Hide then click OK. Hope this helps. Pete On Nov 26, 10:01=A0am, alun.re...@bamnuttall.co.uk <alun.re...@b...

MS Query and Row Range Names
We utilize MS queries in a spreadsheet that has range names for rows. Unfortunately, when the query returns a different # of records than before the query, it messes up the reference of the range names (i.e. if row 123 is named "Partner1" before the refresh of the query, "Partner1" will not move with the associated row if new records are inserted and/or deleted - NOR does it stay at row 123). Does anybody know what is going on and how to overcome this issue? Thank you. Correction to my original message, the range name does stay at row 123 (i.e. absolute). But I h...

Text block query
I wish to create a block of several lines of text inside a border on a worksheet. What terms do I look for to describe this operation? Just wasted an hour looking in vain. I know I will kick myself when someone points me in the right direction. Thanks Brian Tozer Brian Tozer wrote: > I wish to create a block of several lines of text inside a border on a > worksheet. > What terms do I look for to describe this operation? > Just wasted an hour looking in vain. > I know I will kick myself when someone points me in the right > direction. Cancel panic. Problem solved. As usua...

Problem: textbox default value = Date()
I want an unbound textbox on my form to default to current date. In the default value property of the textbox, I put "=Date()". Instead of today's date, it defaults to the text "date". What am I doing wrong? (I see if I bind the textbox to "=Date()", the value, of course, is today's date, but I only want the default to be today's date, which can be changed as needed.) TIA Are you actually entering "=Date()" or are you entering =Date() without the double quotes? If the latter, it should give you the date! -- There's AL...

text boxes appear to be flashing on my form
Hi there, I am building a form which has multiple tabs on in. In these tabs are various sub-forms and text boxes for data gathering and reporting. One of my tabs is a summary tab where I have a bunch of text boxes that link to the different sub forms and gather the important pieces of information I need for the summary tab. These text boxes would have a control sources something like this: =Forms!MainForm!SubForm!txtSomeData I have about 50 text boxes on my summary tab now and I've noticed some interesting behaviours as the number of text boxes grows. I don't have any codi...

Importing a text file w/ more than 65,536 rows
I'm trying to download a text file which exceeds the number of rows on an Excel worksheet. The help menus for Excel 5.0, 7.0, and '97 specify a way to use the Text Import Wizard to import the file to multiple worksheets. However, I have Excel 2000, and cannot locate any instructions about how to download to multiple worksheets. Anyone have any suggestions? I'd use my favorite text editor and split the text file into smaller pieces. Then import them separately. Or you could use a macro that imports each line: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q120596 ...

Row/Column unhide shortcut keys not working in excel 2007
Specs: AMD 64 X2, Vista Business Edition, Office 2007. I searched through the groups, but I didn't come across an answer to my problem.. Do the shortcut keys for row/column unhide work in excel 2007? I'm used to excel 2002/03 where the command is CTRL+SHIFT+9 and CTRL+SHIFT+0. According to the excel 2007 help, the commands are the same, but they do not work for me (I can unhide by going to Cells- >Format-> Hide & unhide). Interestingly, Ctrl+9 and Ctrl+0 work fine for hiding rows/columns. On a (related?) note, in the following thread http://groups.google.com/group/microso...

numbers with text
I am trying to include a text with my input number. For example: I want to input in cell A1 only the number "230." But, I want the cell to return "230 units." What steps do I have to do to make that work? Thanks, hmz Format>Cells>Number>Custom In the Type box, add "units" (including the quotes) to the end of the current format string (probably General) -- Kind regards, Niek Otten "hmz" <hmz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:40BB068C-1642-475C-9558-E1387EDD7E95@microsoft.com... >I am trying to include a text...

How do I make a field to display minute/seconds (runners time)
Our students have to run a mile and 1/2 and I need to put the minutes and seconds they ran in a field. I then want to use that minute/second time to make a pivot chart to show their progress. How do I make a minute/seconds field? I've tried the date function stuff but either I'm doing it wrong or it doesn't work. Could really use some help. Thanks!!! Do a search and read previous posts. This is a very common question.The most common answer is to create a numeric field and enter the total seconds (or tenths of second or hundredths). Then, in your forms, reports, and queries yo...

Can't insert a new row
I have about 20 rows of data and I'm trying to insert a row of data before line 6. I highlight cell 6, click Insert /Rows and then I get an error, "To prevent the possible loss of data, Microsoft Excel cannot shift nonblank cells off the work sheet." It goes on with some more garbage, but it's already obvious that Microsoft doesn't know what it's talking about. How do I get this insert to work? Thanks! -- skywaytraveler ------------------------------------------------------------------------ skywaytraveler's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?ac...

Office programs are not allowing me to open external links.
I'm running Windows 7 and Office 2003. Recently (it seems like it was just after installing a new video card) links to websites from outlook and word have stopped functioning. I receive an error that says, "This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator." I can't find an option in my firewall (AVG) or the office security settings that has anything to allow with this issue, though I wouldn't be surprised if I missed it. I've tried repairing office, installing the SP3 update, a...

OLE object defaults
I have some records that I need to add a Visio drawing to. The drawings are stored within an OLE object. It works fine. However I need to be able to set some defaults for the OLE object so that when a new record is added the user doens't have to goto the insert menu, pick active x control and select Microsoft Visio Drawing each time. I need to set the OLE object to be an activex control with type Microsoft Visio Drawing for each new record. Anyone got any ideas for the code to do this? ...

How to create to fill the default XML elements
I have been trying to find a sample coding in C# of how to create the XmlDocument based on its XSD schema fixed or default element values. I could accomplisht this work somehow like this: (but want to believe that there is far more simple solution for this little problem, so any ideas?) 1) Create the empty DataSet 2) Use ReadXmlSchema methods and read the schema that contains fixed or default element values. 3) Loop each element and fill the element if Column.DefaultValue is not null 4) Create XmlDocument 5) turn off the schema validation 6) Write DataSet to new XmlDocument 7) pass the...

How do I reset dialog boxes
Ok My problem is that I cant change the category in a transaction. I used to get a box that asked me if I'm sure to "categorize expense as income" Id say yes...all was good. Once I selected "do not show again" in the box. Now I cant change the category on one of my transactions. I have tried deleting it and re-entering it. Didn't work. I cant find where to get the dialog box back so I can categorize this transaction. Please help. In microsoft.public.money, Anthony wrote: >Ok My problem is that I cant change the category in a transaction. >I used to get ...

Text to Columns / Importing Data
I frequently import data to Excel from ShowcaseStrategy - an SQL database - or from as400 queries. There are instances when Excel won't recognize the exact same data. For example, if in cell A1 I type "Dog" and I import the text "Dog" into cell B1, and in cell C1 I enter the function =IF(A1=B1,"Match","Non-Match"), the resulting value in C1 would be "Non-Match". (This is a simplified example. I am usually using VLOOKUP to pull matching records from tens of thousands of imported records to an existing table, and Excel won't rec...

database displayment
hi , I am using "visio" to describe my sql server database ,however I cannot figure out how to make it show only the tables names and the key fields, so I can see it all in one or two pages. b.t.w. I am useing Visio 6. thank you -- ���� ���� "�������" Click on Database\Options\Documents\Table There should be several options which toggles the display on/off. "Yaron Nahum" <yaron@mikunim.co.il> wrote in message news:uVjpqZG2DHA.1740@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > hi , I am using "visio" to describe my sql server database ,however I cannot > f...

subtotal row data in other columns
I have a worksheet: A = $ value B = Title of work C = Another number tied to B. When I subtotal on column B, and have the subtotal for column A, I also want the value in Column C to appear. When I click on the collapse I want to see Column C as it provides more information and helps to decipher what Column B is. TIA ...

Text Stops Wrapping
I have entered approximately 2000 characters of text in a cell. I have formatted the cell alignment right, top, wrap text and resize the cell to show the text. However, around the 1000 to 1200 character range, the text stops wrapping. Has anyone experienced this and discovered a workaround. Thanks. Excel can only handle about 1024 characters in a cell. Try using a textbox -- if you clear the borders & change row heights, it'll look just like a cell. "Daniel" <daniel.brady@warren.af.mil> wrote in message news:031201c3723d$8d1ac820$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I have e...

HTTP 405
I have a Dynamics CRM 3.0 deployment in a clients organisation. The installation is fine as the enviroment diagnostics tell me. However, if I attempt to run any sort of report I get an HTTP 405 - Resource not allowed error....any ideas? Has no-one got an answer to this? not even the slightest hint?? "Doug T" wrote: > I have a Dynamics CRM 3.0 deployment in a clients organisation. The > installation is fine as the enviroment diagnostics tell me. However, if I > attempt to run any sort of report I get an HTTP 405 - Resource not allowed > error....any ideas? ------...

Displaying running counts 1 of X, 2 of X, 3 of X
I am creating work tickets for based on quantities order. So if I have an order for 2 pillows and 1 blanket, my application creates 3 tickets, numbered as follows: 1 of 2 pillows, 2 of 2 pillows, 1 of 1 blankets. I would also like my tickets to include the following info: 1 of 3 items, 2 of 3 items, 3 of 3 items. Can I do this? Thanks so much for any suggestions. The answer will depend on how you have your tables set up. Since several things can be sold in one order, you need 2 tables: - the Orders header table, with fields such as: OrderID unique number for this order (Aut...

deleting rows #3
I have a workbook and I am using an IF formula to move values from one sheet to another. My problem is that the data is often transferred with sizable gaps between rows. ( if the if formula doesn't apply on sheet one for several rows then the data transferred to sheet two will have that many empty rows in between) Is there anyway to automatically edit out blank rows? Thanks D You could use a macro to copy ONLY the data that meets your criteria. More info needed. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "D" <post@siteplease> wrote in message news:er1HRDShEHA.3...

Web browser embedded in slide displays unwanted screen
Greetings! PPT 2007 Have embedded a web browser object in a couple of slides, in order to display html files stored locally. The files load correctly when a button on the slide is clicked. My problem is that in the period after arriving at the slide and before this button gets clicked, the browser displays the contents of the directory where the file resides. A blank screen, or some placeholder or other would be fine, but the list of files looks pretty ugly... Any assistance would be warmly appreciated! In article <2CFD4B87-17C5-44C8-9F56-59E6DAF5752A@microsoft.com>, Ano...