req assist with import and formating a text file

I am way below novice and had this dumped im my lap so I could use a
hand if possible. tia

---------------
|SMA2 HOST   0|
|    IDT 2           |25                      PRPH 00 1
|    IDT 7           |26,28,34,2         SGAT 00 0
|                       |24,33,7,27
|                       |29,31,0,30
|                       |
|    IDT 13         |3,4,5,6               MNRV 00 0
|                       |1
|    IDT 12         |32,35                 ALHB 00 0

The above is 1 example of a printout i get from a dms switch.  the
printout is actually about 30 pages long. Is there a quick way to get
it to this type of format

host        node       site                   link     link count
sma2 0    idt 2       prph 00 1          25            1
sma2 0    idt 7       sgat 00 0          26
28...
12

and so on.
I have currently been editing it first in word and then importing to
excel. I then have to do a ton of editing.
I am not very good with arrays and lookups but if someone could point I
am willing to read and experiment, I just would prefer to experiment in
the right direction. Thanks again.

--
irvpost
irvpost's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24315

irvpost wrote:
> I am way below novice and had this dumped im my lap so I could use a
> hand if possible. tia
>
> ---------------
> |SMA2 HOST   0|
> |    IDT 2           |25                      PRPH 00 1
> |    IDT 7           |26,28,34,2         SGAT 00 0
> |                       |24,33,7,27
> |                       |29,31,0,30
> |                       |
> |    IDT 13         |3,4,5,6               MNRV 00 0
> |                       |1
> |    IDT 12         |32,35                 ALHB 00 0
>
> The above is 1 example of a printout i get from a dms switch.  the
> printout is actually about 30 pages long. Is there a quick way to get
> it to this type of format
>
> host        node       site                   link     link count
> sma2 0    idt 2       prph 00 1          25            1
> sma2 0    idt 7       sgat 00 0          26
> 28...
> 12
>
> and so on.
> I have currently been editing it first in word and then importing to
> excel. I then have to do a ton of editing.
> I am not very good with arrays and lookups but if someone could point I
> am willing to read and experiment, I just would prefer to experiment in
> the right direction. Thanks again.

Go to file > file open and open the text file this will open a wizard that
will allow you to select where you want your column breaks. You may have
to experiment a couple of time to get what you want so use a copy of the
file or just don't save changes until you get what you want.

gls858
0
gls858 (460)

Making my own data file (pst) the outlook today file
I have just setup Outlook 2003. I have opened my old PST file. I wish to use this and make this my default data file. I will therefore not require the Personal Folder which is the Outlook today default I think I need to make my opened PST file the default file before I can delete the Personal Folders file But how do I do this...... Thanks Go to Tools | E-mail Accounts, select View or change existing e-mail accounts, click Next, and then choose your preferred file in the "Deliver new e-mail to the following location" dropdown box. Click Finish, and then you will be able to close...

Date Format
I'd like to create my own Date / Time format. The Excel Equivalent is MMM-YYYY (Mar-2010). How can I change/create a new date format that will be displayed MMM-YYYY? I want to be able to query this table and run criteria based on the date. Thanks. (B^>)-]=[ You can create a custom display format for date that looks like "MMM-YYYY" .... but if your underlying data is a date/time field, you will still be storing a date/time value. Mar-2010 is not a date. If you are trying to create a query that requires selection criteria in that format, why? Is...

Phone Number Formats #3
Hello Everyone, I have read a lot of threads about the phone number format but did not find anything that would solve my problem. Like a lot of you, we have customers/vendors from around the world and I would like to customise the Customer/Vendor phone numbers to display in the correct country format. UK : 1234-5678 France : 12-34-56-78-90 CAN/US : (123) 456-7890 I need to modify the format according to the country of origin. I would like this modification to be in Modifier/VBA if possible. Any tips or tricks to achieve this is welcome -- Sebastien Picard ML3 Business Solutions Soun...

Text missing from email shows in autopreview
Hi, This is weird. I have autopreview on, and from some people (some are using lotus notes, but I can't say that all are conclusivly) whenever I get an email from them, weather they have generated it or have responded to one of mine, their text does not show up when I open the email. BUT, I can see the first line or two in autopreview. If I drag the email to the desktop, and open it with notepad, I can see the entire text, so it's in there. Any thoughts on why? or how to fix it? Thanks, -Vin ...

save a column of text as a file
How do I select a column of data and save it as an external file ( say, col.txt)? One more thing, is there a way to have blank entries automatically skipped?! 1 Save the worksheet as an Excel file before doing anything! 2 Insert a new worksheet: Insert|Worksheet 3 Select and Copy the column to be saved 4 Move to A1 in new worksheet; use Paste but if the column has formulas use Paste Special -> Values 5 Select column; use Data | AutoFilter; use auto filter to display Non-Blanks 6 Copy and paste these non-blanks to column B 7 Delete column A 6 Use File | Save As and specify Type to be TXT...

Open files
Can't open any pub. file if it contains more than one page Are you referring to a .pub file or a web pages? Post Publisher version and website address if one. -- Don - Publisher 2000� Vancouver, USA "Irene" <Irene@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FD8CC5C8-508B-41B4-9E21-A9D29770C69F@microsoft.com... > Can't open any pub. file if it contains more than one page We only use publisher for report writing so it would be a .pub file. The version is 2007 "Don Schmidt" wrote: > Are you referring to a .pub file or a web pages? > ...

mail merge with html format
I am trying to send a mail merge email in HTML, but when I merge the email it is sent in plain text. I have checked the Tools>Options>Mail Format a thousand times and the HTML is picked, and the use word for email formatting is not selected. Any suggestions? Thanks No suggestions possible without knowing your Outlook version. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:256c01c3a4a8$be9c9660$3101280a@phx.gbl... > I am trying to send a mail merge email in HTML, but when I > merge the email it is sent in plain text. > ...

Text box
When I print the Text box, I must have several lines in the Text box below the last line, otherwise the last few lines in the Text box do not print. So how can I shrink the Text box without losing the last few lines. Thanks. -- Ed In article <0BFC6F3F-3915-4C52-AD49-E87B605AD29D@microsoft.com>, Ed <Ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > When I print the Text box, I must have several lines in the Text box below > the last line, otherwise the last few lines in the Text box do not print. So > how can I shrink the Text box without losing the last few lines. Which ap...

Hide column after importation data with script
Hi, I have a strange issue. I created a script in Excel 2003 to import data from a database. The final sheet have 5 columns (3 alphabetics and 2 numerics). I tested it on 4 same laptop with Window XP and Excel 2003. On 2 laptop, all the columns displayed and the report was ok. On the other, only alphabetics columns were display. Somebody have a idea to fix this issue? thanks, D. If you don't get any helpful responses, you may want to share the macro and a bit of the data that was imported. fox wrote: > > Hi, > > I have a strange issue. > I created a script in Excel ...

format cells as zip code not working
I have selected a column, choose Format, Cells, Special, Zip Code, but some of the cells continue to show up in error checking as "text". The spreadsheet is thousands of rows long, and I do not want to have to go through every single error to change text to number or zip. Why is the formatting not changing all cells? (I am copying & pasting the rows that have name/address/zip from another Excel spreadsheet I have - but I have changed the formatting on the zip code column to zip code in that spreadsheet as well to no avail). Formats don't change the underlyi...

Conditional formatting
I have been asked if it is possible to identify cells that have conditional formatting? is this possible? Thanks Steve Hi, Tap F5 Special select 'Conditional formats' OK -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the question. "k11ngy" wrote: > I have been asked if it is possible to identify cells that have conditional > formatting? is this possible? > > Thanks > > Steve ...

Find the original creator of an Excel file
There are a few mysterious Excel files in my network folder. I think it's accidentally dropped by someone on the network. I thought you can find the original creator's name based on the name of copy Excel was registered to. Where do I find that information? Thanks! File>properties -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "cpliu" <spamfreeliu@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:a457d0b5-1925-4c3c-abd9-4dd288cd2e31@e53g2000hsa.googlegroups.com... > There are a few mysterious Excel files in my network folder. I think > it...

Set Page Number in New File to Not-One ....
Need to specify initial page number in a file. Pages in file one number 1-10, in file two need to be numbered 11-20 and so forth. How? Thanks in advance. Yes, I asked this before, but lost the information. Apologies. gp drgeorgep <drgeorgep@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > Need to specify initial page number in a file. Pages in file one > number 1-10, in file two need to be numbered 11-20 and so forth. How? Insert > Section -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://ed.mvps.org/ Hi Ed, The charm is in the simplicity. Thanks. george &...

Importing too much data...
I'm trying to import a large (200,000+ entries) text file into Excel. I will get the message saying that the file contains more data than will fit in a single worksheet & to get it all, go to another sheet & I can exclude data already imported, but I never see that option?!? I've also tried telling it to start at row 65537, but it says invalid integer. Any suggestions? Thanks- Mike, Below is the standard large file import macro. HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP Sub LargeFileImport() 'Dimension Variables Dim ResultStr As String Dim FileName As String Dim FileNum As Integer Dim...

Publisher 2003 files
I have file I created in Publisher 2003. Can I read them and edit them in Publisher 2007? yep -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Rob Giordano Microsoft MVP Expression "Russbe" <Russbe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E21FB024-C659-410D-AD40-D3D1137129F6@microsoft.com... > I have file I created in Publisher 2003. Can I read them and edit them in > Publisher 2007? ...

Is any method to retrieve text from the point in richeidt?
I are working on showing some tip when the mouse cursor hovers on the richedit. in fact, I need a method(just like "hittest") to retrieve the text or the position of the text. so thanks for any repliy :-) -- Frank F.Han +-----------------------------------------+ | winsays@:-)hotmail:-).com | +-----------------------------------------+ Frank, Sending EM_CHARFROMPOS to the control will return the index of the character closest to a given coordinate pair, I think you should start there. Johan Rosengren Abstrakt Mekanik AB "Frank" <winsays@hotmail.com&...

Create A pdf from a report then rtf or doc file from the PDF
Is this a possible sollution to many of our report to word formatting woes, including check boxes and lines, I don't know, but I am working on this. I have made many pdfs from reports and they are flawless mainly using lebans report to pdf dlls. My question is has anyone successfully converted a PDF to a doc file? John Ellis wrote: > Is this a possible sollution to many of our report to word formatting > woes, > including check boxes and lines, I don't know, but I am working on this. > I have made many pdfs from reports and they are flawless mainly using > le...

keep or not keep SMTP log files?
Hi, I'm curious about what do you do with your SMTP lof files? How long do you keep your smtp lof files? Save them onto a tape media or external harddrive? Do you delete them after 6 months? Or don't keep them at all? I'm trying to get a general idea what administrators do to their smtp log files. Thanks and appreciate it. Ricky On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 13:01:04 -0700, Ricky T <RickyT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, > >I'm curious about what do you do with your SMTP lof files? How long do you >keep your smtp lof files? Save them onto a tape medi...

Account balances & duplicate transactions when importing
I'm trying to import QIF files from Quicken into the OEM MS Money that came installed on my new Dell desktop. The problem: When I import all the accounts -- whether individually or simultaneously with the Control+Shift method recommended by MS -- the transfers between bank and credit card accounts end up being duplicated. This, of course, messes up the account balances big time. Also, some accounts have incorrect balances even though there are no duplicate transactions. As mentioned, I've followed the directions given in MS's Knowledge Base, importing all accounts together. Wh...

Separate barcode filed. It should be unique for ITEMNUMBER + UOM
-- backer ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=cd179900-80c8-4e2e-af38-d4dedd20d3c0&dg=microsoft.public.greatplains ...

any way to convert 2000 files to 2007?
I have a lot of Publisher 2000 files. If I get 2007, is there any way to upgrade or use at least some of the material in the 2000 files to 2007 format? I'd hate to lose all those layouts. Thanks. Betsy Kocsis You just open them in 2007, no "conversion" needed. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "Betsy Kocsis" <BetsyKocsis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9FFCA509-B70C-49AD-8147-4E688C3F0EF8@microsoft.com... >I have a lot of Publisher 2000 files. If I get 2007...

PowerPoint 2003 hangs when saving or opening any powerpoint file,
I was not able to cut and paste the information from the .crv file, but was from the initial error screen that continues to pop up. AppName: powerpnt.exe AppVer: 11.0.8307.0 AppStamp:49ee80e3 ModName: kernel32.dll ModVer: 5.1.2600.3541 ModStamp:49c4f751 fDebug: 0 Offset: 00012a6b I'm not sure if this means anything to anyone, but I'm sure hoping to get this resolved ASAP. ...

Opening .mdi Files
I installed the trial version of Office 2007 Small Business, and I still can't open .mdi files. I went to the control panel to change features, and it has X'ed out all office tools features, and I can't convince it to let me have them. Is this normal? The trial download literature says it has all available features. -- geickmei see if you have any control via safe mode. office is functional in safe mode as well. -- db·´¯`·...¸><)))º> DatabaseBen, Retired Professional - Systems Analyst - Database Developer - Accoun...

Excel 2007: @*. formatting
Is there any way to make this format work with Wrap Text turned on? Whenever the text is wide enough to need to be wrapped, I always get #######################. Try changing the format of the cell from Text to General. Eric "pmetnc" wrote: > Is there any way to make this format work with Wrap Text turned on? Whenever > the text is wide enough to need to be wrapped, I always get > #######################. I think you're out of luck. I couldn't do it (well, in xl2003). If that string is between 255 and 1024 characters, then I get the ### s...

moving Integration Manager files
Hello: I am going to be moving Integration Manager from a Citrix box to local workstations. The im.mdb file will remain on the "fat" SQL Server, but the files used for the integrations will be moved form the Citrix server box to the SQL Server as well. I have not had a chance to review the depth of the integrations. And, I know that I will need to review the properties of the integration before and after the move because the pathing to the files will change. Also, I realize that I likely will have to review and fix the Query Relationships. All in all, I know that I will...