Reference column question

Setting up a tabulation speadsheet,has 40 rows and 10 columns.Question is
when I do my formula which is a subtraction for each column,I want to use a
refernce # from the first row of each column =Sum(F1-D3)=SUM (G1-D3)and so
to=Sum(P1-D3)Rather than enter each manually,because cut and paste adds 1 to
each column how can I get to use f1 as reference for that column G1 for that
column.Thanx
0
Argente40 (1)

If I understand correctly, try putting a $ in front of the row reference.
Also, sum is not necessary for what you are doing.

=F$1-D3

as you copy that down it becomes
=F$1-D4

copied across to the right it becomes
=G$1-E3

You can fix the row or column or both in this fashion:
F1 (relative row, relatative column)
$F1 (relative row, absolute column)
F$1 (absolute row, relative column)
$F$1 (absolute row, absolute column)

"Argente4.0" wrote:

> Setting up a tabulation speadsheet,has 40 rows and 10 columns.Question is
> when I do my formula which is a subtraction for each column,I want to use a
> refernce # from the first row of each column =Sum(F1-D3)=SUM (G1-D3)and so
> to=Sum(P1-D3)Rather than enter each manually,because cut and paste adds 1 to
> each column how can I get to use f1 as reference for that column G1 for that
> column.Thanx
0
jmb (270)

show another column when hovering on a point in a chart
Is it possible to show another column when you hover on a point? I have 3 columns, A, B, and C for a scatter plot I have B and C as x and y coordinates of a point, and I'd like to have Excel show A when I hover on the point. thanks, Wei ...

Can the column index in a cell address be made variable?
Hi, To refer to a cell with a variable row number, we can just code it as, for example, Dim i As Interger i=234 Range("A" & i).Select To refer to a cell with a variable column index, it seems not that easy because the column index must be explicitly specified in a cell address. So, if I want to go to the j th column on the 2nd row or j columns to the right of cell AA3, is there a quick and easy way to do it? Thank you in advance. David You may be able to use R1C1 terminology, but you'll need to get someone else to help from here. "cyberdude" <honc...

Question On Fields
What is the (Microsoft desciption)difference between the SIC field and the Industry Code field? To me they seem like a duplication. Thanks! Shauna Hi, According to the Deployment Manager descriptions of attributes: SIC - Standard Industrial Classification code for the Account industrycode - the type of industry with which the account is associated... Hope this helps! "Shauna Koppang" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:034101c48af4$62524a70$a401280a@phx.gbl... > What is the (Microsoft desciption)difference between the > SIC field and the...

Not allow entering repeated references in a column
Frank, If you don�t mind ... I will send it :) . As I don�t know your e-mail, I will give mine, which is ssouritinha@sapo.pt Just send your e-mail to my e-mail box and I will send the file. Thanks, Ritinh -- ritinh ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ritinha's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1566 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27195 ...

Exchange 2003 Question #3
Dear all, I have upgraded from Exchange 5.5 and notice that I miss the feature where I can clean/delete mail based on certain criteria from users mailbox via the System Manager. Is this feature still available in Exchange 2003, If so, where is it? Thanks. Regards, Kueh. You can use ExMerge to remove emails based on certain criteria (ie. attachment name, subject, etc). http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF013.html "KA Kueh" wrote: > Dear all, > > I have upgraded from Exchange 5.5 and notice that I miss the feature where I > can clean/delete mail based on ...

Formula Question #18
I have built a workbook in which I have inserted a formula to tell me whether the contents of a supply bin needs replenishment or not. The formula I used is: =IF(E3>F3,"REPLENISH!","No Action"). Each morning, I run a report to see what parts have been used, which becomes a new sheet in the workbook. Now, I want to add a formula that, whenever it sees "REPLENISH!," it will back through the workbook to count whether that same part needed replenishment on consecutive previous days. If it has, then the latest worksheet will report the number of days that ...

newbie question
Excel help says it should be a tab under tools, but I can't see it in my version. I would appreciate any help. Thanks. You must first load the Solver Add-in through Tools>Add-ins. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 07:46:34 -0700, analyst41@hotmail.com wrote: >Excel help says it should be a tab under tools, but I can't see it in >my version. > >I would appreciate any help. > >Thanks. On Nov 3, 10:56 am, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote: > You must first load the Solver Add-in through Tools>Add-ins. > > Gord Dibben MS E...

REQ: Can Someone Help Me With This Outlook XP Question?
Hello All: I use Word to edit my e-mail msgs in Outlook XP. I had to reinstall Office the other day and now whenever I want to start a new e-mail or reply to an e-mail I get a warning that comes up: "A program is trying to access e-mail addresses you have stored in Outlook. Do you want to allow this? If this is unexpected it may be a virus and you should choose 'No'" There is a box that asks for the amount of time to allow the access: 1 to 10 minutes. Do I have to have specific settings for my Outlook address book? I use the Contact area in Outlook for addresses. I have ...

I have a data table that looks like this: Code ------------------- STR-S SNK-S STR-K STR-F SNK-S STR-3 STR-2 STR-F SNK-S SNK-4 SNK-S STR-3 SNK-F STR-4 STR-O ------------------- "STR", etc at the beginning are pitch types, SNK is Sinker for example The end character is the result of the pitch, a 4 would be a home run, 3 a triple, and so forth. O is out, F is foul, S is strike --- you ge it. How can I figure the amount of RBI's? I know that it's 5, but I can' think of any automated way to calculate this, anyone got any ideas? THANK YOU!! :confused -- AVER...

question about using the correct schema namespace
I have a Access/VBA client that exports xml to the local drive, then posts it over http to an aspx page. The aspx page consumes it, then builds itself based on the xml data. This works find only if I first mannually change the root entry's namespace url as shown below. Does anyone know how I can get the two (cleint xml export and aspx xml consume) to work together with the appropriate namespace? Here is the top three lines of my xml export (prior to mannually changing it): <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <root xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/200...

AD/Network design question
Hello all I have a 2 sites which users come and go from. These sites have 2 different network ip domains (192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x). Users need to be authenticated using the same user id and password at both sites. DC/GC is at 192.168.1.x and is a SBS 2003. Server at 192.168.2.x is Server 2003. When the server at 192.168.2.x is connected via vpn to 192.168.1.x all is well. How do I get the server at 192.168.2.x to act as a AD/DC when it’s not connected to 192.168.1.x ? Thank you Hal I think you will run here into the limitations of SBS :-( @ SBS experts : ...

Using iterations to calculate circular references.
I am working with data that requires using circular references in some calculations. I checked the "iterations" box to allow for these calculations to work, and Ecxel seems to be calculating everything correctly. The problem is that after I close the workbook, when I later reopen it to continue working, all the cells that are a part of the circular reference display the #VALUE! error. I can fix this by deleting one cell that is part of the loop and then undoing that command, or by copying the formula from a cell, deleting it, and pasting it back into the same cell. I have to d...

Mail merge & staple question
Does anyone know how to use mail merge in Publisher with a printer that folds and staples?? Publisher is sending it to the printer as "one" big file and trying to staples "all" my newsletters together instead of individual ones with the addresses on them. Or if anyone has any other programs or ideas on how I can accomplish this task, sure would be appreciated. Thanks While waiting for decisions from his 6 university choices, Ed sees a message from Parishsecretary <Parishsecretary@discussions.microsoft.com>. On it is written: > Does anyone know how to use mai...

Office 2010 Buying Question Assistance Needed
I've been looking through the MS Office 2010 web site to try to determine what my new small company would require, but I can't find the information I need. We for sure would need Office Pro Plus, but other than that I'm not sure. We want to run it on our own server. We will initially have 3-5 people using it and perhaps more later on. Would we need to purchase site licensing? Unfortunately, our programmers are MS haters (I'm not) and I can't get any assistance from them on this, but I have power of the pen. I would appreciate any assistance I can get. Th...

Question About Missing Data
So, this is probably really easy, but I just want to ask and see if I may be missing something here. Some data on vendor numbers changed. Let’s say IBM used to have a vendor number 12345 and now it’s vendor number is 56789. I can identify IBM as IBM, but I really want to use the number, not the name. Should I set up a table that ties the numbers together, so that Access knows 12345 = 56789? Or, should I do some kind of Update Query and change all incidences of 12345 to be 56789? Or, is there some other, method, like a ‘best practices for missing data’? Thanks! Ryan--- ...

Custom CRect Question
I have a custom rectangle class that inherits from CRect: class CCustomRect : public CRect { private: CPoint m_maxPt; COLORREF m_color; TCHAR text[50]; public: CCustomRect(RECT* source, CPoint pt, COLORREF rgb); RECT* RectBase(); void Update(RECT* r); } Inheritance has worked well until I found myself needing to create the RectBase function (above) to return the rectangle dimensions. CRect does not seem to have any methods that can be called to return the base class's RECT value. I could take CRect::Size and construct a rectangle to return, but this seems a bit much. My...

Excel link update question
I need to maintain an excel workbook which contains a lot of links to other workbooks. Since the linked workbooks change every week, I need to change all the links accordingly. For example, a cell with formula "='[aug_28.xls]sheet1' !A10" will be changed into "='[sep_4.xls]sheet1'!A10". I tried to do this with Find/Replace. However, the link is updated every time it is changed. The link updating takes a couple of seconds. So it may take a hour to finsh it for a workbook with thousands of links. Could anyone tell me how to shut down the link updating when...

HOW DO I COPY FORMULA WITHOUT CHANGING CELL REFERENCE
My cell c1 contains the formula b1-a1.when i copy this formula to cells d1 and e1 the cells d1 and e1 have the following formula : d1=c1-b1 e1=d1-c1 but i want the following d1 should be b2-a2 and e2 should be b3-a3 how do i do this? One way... In C1 enter & copy across: =INDEX($A:$A,COLUMN()-COLUMN($C$1)+1)-INDEX($B:$B,COLUMN()-COLUMN($C$1)+1) anantth wrote: > My cell c1 contains the formula b1-a1.when i copy this formula to cells d1 > and e1 the cells d1 and e1 have the following formula : > d1=c1-b1 > e1=d1-c1 > > but i want the following > d1 should be b2-...

Column comparing
I am trying to compare 2 columns of numbers so that I can identify and delete numbers no longer required. Can anyone help me find a formula for this please? Many thanks DT Check your earlier post. Dave T wrote: > > I am trying to compare 2 columns of numbers so that I can identify and > delete numbers no longer required. Can anyone help me find a formula for > this please? > > Many thanks > DT -- Dave Peterson ...

Hyper link one column to another
I would like to have my columns hyper link one another. For example: Click on B2 would take you to N2, and vice-versa. Click on C2 would take you to O2... and so on through column j linked to V. Is this possible without having to make the link for each cell? This is a timesheet template and the columns b though J are the hours and N through V are the text comments for those hours. When I copy the template to a new sheet, there will be no data in any column. I would like to be able to enter an amount or formula (=end-start) for time spent and then be able to click on that cell and hyperlin...

Prevent Hidden Column data from being copied/pasted?
A student came up with a question that I haven't been able to figure out yet in a recent Excel class. They are hiding a column and protecting the worksheet in the correct manner. They want to allow some users to access and enter information in some cells. They do not want the users to be able to copy and paste the information from the hidden column. The question is how can this be prevented? For example, Column B is hidden. When they copy a range such as A1:C10 and paste it to another worksheet, they are getting the "hidden" data in Column B in B1:B10. Any suggestions wou...

VS 2005 beta question
All, I need to complie some code. I am going from 16bit to 64 bit. The job do not want to spend the money on VS 2005.net. If I compile the code with the beta version or trial version of VS 2005.NET will it time bomb on me? Thanks in advance The code won't, but eventually the compiler will stop working. Don't know if the trial will support 64 bit though. I guess you get what you pay for. Tom "karibbean" <sharp_mind@REMOVE.this.email.msn.dotcom> wrote in message news:%23OyZFNUFGHA.1124@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > All, > > I need to complie some cod...

Payables, Financial Batch and other questions
Please bear with me I have a lot of questions and the help of those who are experienced and knowledgeable would be well appreciated. Thanks. MISSING TABLES 1. I ran hotfix for GP9 but I decided not anymore to continue with it because there were other requirements. Thus, I reinstalled the applicaiton GP9 and restored my backup dynamics & company database. There were tables that were lost when I restored it. I just want to know how to copy the tables to my current database. Most of the tables that were lost were from the Cashbook (i.e. CB900045, CB200001) and other tables such as SY...

combining columns all the way down
I am trying to combine two columns of information in excel but th concatenate function doesnt seem to work for it. It may just be m ineptitude in excel but I just cant seem to figure this out. I have 3 colums Column A__________Column B___________Column C tree_______________ .jpg dog________________.gif House______________.png But I cant seem to be able to make it so that column C has tree.jpg an dog.gif and house.png Is concatenate the wrong thing to use here? or am I making my formula incorrectly -- sparkrom ----------------------------------------------------------------------- sparkro...