Question about Cell Borders

I need to be able to set a default cell border style, thickness and color,
such that when the Border button on the Format toolbar is clicked, that
border will be consistently applied to the selected cells.  Is there any way
to permanently change the border produced by the toolbar button.

Thanks
Kevin

I don't know of any way to reliably do what you're after. However, a
better solution would be to create a new toolbar button and attach a
macro that you record (Tools/Macros/Record new macro) applying the
border style, thickness and color that you want.

In article <C4FC8DC5-CD7C-4BCC-A106-EDA700E93F92@microsoft.com>,
 "Kevin" <ksorei at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I need to be able to set a default cell border style, thickness and color,
> such that when the Border button on the Format toolbar is clicked, that
> border will be consistently applied to the selected cells.  Is there any way
> to permanently change the border produced by the toolbar button.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
4/12/2005 4:29:41 PM
You can change the border default color by changing the gridline color:
Tools|Options|View.  Gridline color is change in lower left corner in the
Window Option section at the bottom.  THe border color is the same as the
gridline color.
Style, thickness, etc - I dont know either.

"JE McGimpsey" wrote:

> I don't know of any way to reliably do what you're after. However, a
> better solution would be to create a new toolbar button and attach a
> macro that you record (Tools/Macros/Record new macro) applying the
> border style, thickness and color that you want.
>

> In article <C4FC8DC5-CD7C-4BCC-A106-EDA700E93F92@microsoft.com>,
>  "Kevin" <ksorei at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I need to be able to set a default cell border style, thickness and color,
> > such that when the Border button on the Format toolbar is clicked, that
> > border will be consistently applied to the selected cells.  Is there any way
> > to permanently change the border produced by the toolbar button.

0
PA (98)

Excel 2003 extract repeating cells

Combining cells to create a formula
Hi, I have two cells that I want to combine to have a working formula B1 = sum B2 = d3 b3 = =b1&"("&b2&")" D3 = 10 The result in b3 is : sum(d3) How do I get this to result in the actual value in D3. I know I can simply write =D3, but the actual reason for combining the two cells is more complicated than explained here. Thanks Hi I think you are perhaps looking for the Indirect function =INDIRECT("D"&ROW(3:3)) would return the value contained in D3 As you copy down, the formula would alter to 4, 5 etc. represent D4, D5 etc. -- Regards R...

changing the cell information #2
Hi I have files I tried to change the cell information to another cel that have to be the blank for a row that contains director name in cel A and for the movie titles I have to have director names instead of th title names.Please help me, the data in cell B sholuld have to be, A 1 D:B.Jane 2 T:Back to the future 3 T:Aliens 4 T:X-files 5 D:Adam Mathew 6 T:Core 7 T:Titanic B 1 (empty) 2 D:B.Jane 3 D:B.Jane 4 D:B.Jane 5 (empty) 6 D:Adam Mathew 7 D:Adam Mathew thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

cell looses name after sorting
Can someone help me with the following problem in Excel 2000: in a table I have attached serveral cells with unique cell names, the values in these cells are used in other sheets. the problem is that when I sort the table, the cell names stay in the original rowposition; they are not sorted! while their values are. So Cell names get different values, and other calculations on my other sheets get messed up! How can I make the cell names relative instead of absolute? thankx in advance, Jim --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ "jimfx >" <<jimfx.109zcv@exc...

Every cell is highlighted
This is a new one for me. Afer opening up Excel '98 and go to a cell, every cell is highlighted when I move the mouse. I can not put any information in any cell. The only way to quit Excel is control, alt, delete and then it gives me "can not quit excel". It does though after a while. Wherever I move the mouse, the cells are highlighted. What gives? Thanks f8 key -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "5hulses" <5hulses@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3B8F2E7E-8957-4B26-B64B-AEC88B6099BE@microsoft.com... > This is a new...

Custom cell formatting
I need to create a custom format for a series of cells that will begin like this. I can't figure out what the code character is fora volitile potentially alpha character. Can anyone help me?? -Monica, Dallas 000000 000001 000002 .... 000009 00000A 00000B 000010 000011 ...... Monica something like this might work for you but you'll need to put all the leading digits in for the entry with the alpha character Regards Trevor "MDavison" <davison@fr.com> wrote in message news:#SD0tUzTEHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > I need to create a custom format for a series ...

Can the column index in a cell address be made variable?
Hi, To refer to a cell with a variable row number, we can just code it as, for example, Dim i As Interger i=234 Range("A" & i).Select To refer to a cell with a variable column index, it seems not that easy because the column index must be explicitly specified in a cell address. So, if I want to go to the j th column on the 2nd row or j columns to the right of cell AA3, is there a quick and easy way to do it? Thank you in advance. David You may be able to use R1C1 terminology, but you'll need to get someone else to help from here. "cyberdude" <honc...

Question On Fields
What is the (Microsoft desciption)difference between the SIC field and the Industry Code field? To me they seem like a duplication. Thanks! Shauna Hi, According to the Deployment Manager descriptions of attributes: SIC - Standard Industrial Classification code for the Account industrycode - the type of industry with which the account is associated... Hope this helps! "Shauna Koppang" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:034101c48af4$62524a70$a401280a@phx.gbl... > What is the (Microsoft desciption)difference between the > SIC field and the...

Formula Question #18
I have built a workbook in which I have inserted a formula to tell me whether the contents of a supply bin needs replenishment or not. The formula I used is: =IF(E3>F3,"REPLENISH!","No Action"). Each morning, I run a report to see what parts have been used, which becomes a new sheet in the workbook. Now, I want to add a formula that, whenever it sees "REPLENISH!," it will back through the workbook to count whether that same part needed replenishment on consecutive previous days. If it has, then the latest worksheet will report the number of days that ...

AD/Network design question
Hello all I have a 2 sites which users come and go from. These sites have 2 different network ip domains (192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x). Users need to be authenticated using the same user id and password at both sites. DC/GC is at 192.168.1.x and is a SBS 2003. Server at 192.168.2.x is Server 2003. When the server at 192.168.2.x is connected via vpn to 192.168.1.x all is well. How do I get the server at 192.168.2.x to act as a AD/DC when it’s not connected to 192.168.1.x ? Thank you Hal I think you will run here into the limitations of SBS :-( @ SBS experts : ...

How do I get text to copy from one cell to another ?
Type = in the target cell. MouseClick the cell containing text. Pres Enter key -- Brian ----------------------------------------------------------------------- BrianB's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=5 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27034 ...

Colour negative border differently
Does anyone know if there's a way to colour the negative borders in a bar chart differently if they are negative (otther than cycling through each point individually and colouring them). One can use 'invert if negative' with a fill but in a bar chart with a lot of points you only see the border. Kind regards, Mark Hi, Have a look at Jon's example of conditional charts. You can format the columns interior and border. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ConditionalChart1.html Cheers Andy Mark Stephens wrote: > Does anyone know if there's a way to colour the neg...

Exchange 2003 Question #3
Dear all, I have upgraded from Exchange 5.5 and notice that I miss the feature where I can clean/delete mail based on certain criteria from users mailbox via the System Manager. Is this feature still available in Exchange 2003, If so, where is it? Thanks. Regards, Kueh. You can use ExMerge to remove emails based on certain criteria (ie. attachment name, subject, etc). http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF013.html "KA Kueh" wrote: > Dear all, > > I have upgraded from Exchange 5.5 and notice that I miss the feature where I > can clean/delete mail based on ...

Highlighted Cell
Hi all If I highlight A1 is there a way to have the cell fill colour yellow, So I can see where I am better, when I move to say A8 etc. A1 go's back to its normal colour and the new cell is yellow. Thanks in advance Dave See if this helps: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/RowLiner.htm -- HTH, RD --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit ! --------------------------------------------------------------------------- "Dave" <tuco@tuco.karoo.co.uk> wrote in messag...

newbie question
Excel help says it should be a tab under tools, but I can't see it in my version. I would appreciate any help. Thanks. You must first load the Solver Add-in through Tools>Add-ins. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 07:46:34 -0700, analyst41@hotmail.com wrote: >Excel help says it should be a tab under tools, but I can't see it in >my version. > >I would appreciate any help. > >Thanks. On Nov 3, 10:56 am, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote: > You must first load the Solver Add-in through Tools>Add-ins. > > Gord Dibben MS E...

Mail merge & staple question
Does anyone know how to use mail merge in Publisher with a printer that folds and staples?? Publisher is sending it to the printer as "one" big file and trying to staples "all" my newsletters together instead of individual ones with the addresses on them. Or if anyone has any other programs or ideas on how I can accomplish this task, sure would be appreciated. Thanks While waiting for decisions from his 6 university choices, Ed sees a message from Parishsecretary <Parishsecretary@discussions.microsoft.com>. On it is written: > Does anyone know how to use mai...

question about using the correct schema namespace
I have a Access/VBA client that exports xml to the local drive, then posts it over http to an aspx page. The aspx page consumes it, then builds itself based on the xml data. This works find only if I first mannually change the root entry's namespace url as shown below. Does anyone know how I can get the two (cleint xml export and aspx xml consume) to work together with the appropriate namespace? Here is the top three lines of my xml export (prior to mannually changing it): <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <root xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/200...

Office 2010 Buying Question Assistance Needed
I've been looking through the MS Office 2010 web site to try to determine what my new small company would require, but I can't find the information I need. We for sure would need Office Pro Plus, but other than that I'm not sure. We want to run it on our own server. We will initially have 3-5 people using it and perhaps more later on. Would we need to purchase site licensing? Unfortunately, our programmers are MS haters (I'm not) and I can't get any assistance from them on this, but I have power of the pen. I would appreciate any assistance I can get. Th...

Question About Missing Data
So, this is probably really easy, but I just want to ask and see if I may be missing something here. Some data on vendor numbers changed. Let’s say IBM used to have a vendor number 12345 and now it’s vendor number is 56789. I can identify IBM as IBM, but I really want to use the number, not the name. Should I set up a table that ties the numbers together, so that Access knows 12345 = 56789? Or, should I do some kind of Update Query and change all incidences of 12345 to be 56789? Or, is there some other, method, like a ‘best practices for missing data’? Thanks! Ryan--- ...

Formatting Cells in Excel 97

HOW DO I COPY FORMULA WITHOUT CHANGING CELL REFERENCE
My cell c1 contains the formula b1-a1.when i copy this formula to cells d1 and e1 the cells d1 and e1 have the following formula : d1=c1-b1 e1=d1-c1 but i want the following d1 should be b2-a2 and e2 should be b3-a3 how do i do this? One way... In C1 enter & copy across: =INDEX($A:$A,COLUMN()-COLUMN($C$1)+1)-INDEX($B:$B,COLUMN()-COLUMN($C$1)+1) anantth wrote: > My cell c1 contains the formula b1-a1.when i copy this formula to cells d1 > and e1 the cells d1 and e1 have the following formula : > d1=c1-b1 > e1=d1-c1 > > but i want the following > d1 should be b2-...