Problem Importing a TXT File

I have a workbook named 05-03-31. It contains information for the first
quarter of this year. Sheet 1 references cells on Sheet 2. Sheet 2 was
created by importing a TXT file. I thought I had accomplished something
wonderful at that time.
I now have a new TXT file with second quarter data. I opened the first
quarter workbook, 05-03-31 and saved it as 05-06-30, so now I have a
second quarter workbook. When I Import the second quarter TXT file into
the second quarter workbook it creates a Sheet 3. On Sheet 1 can I
globally change all the references to Sheet 2 to Sheet 3?
I tried deleting Sheet 2 and then importing the new data into a new
Sheet 2. This imported the data onto Sheet 2 properly but on Sheet 1
all the references to Sheet 2 were now 'errors'.
I am open to any method that will get me up and going as I will have
this problem again when I attempt the third quarter data
Thanks for any and all help.

0
trvlnmny (24)

"mike" <trvlnmny@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have a workbook named 05-03-31. It contains information for the first
> quarter of this year. Sheet 1 references cells on Sheet 2. Sheet 2 was
> created by importing a TXT file. I thought I had accomplished something
> wonderful at that time.
> I now have a new TXT file with second quarter data. I opened the first
> quarter workbook, 05-03-31 and saved it as 05-06-30, so now I have a
> second quarter workbook. When I Import the second quarter TXT file into
> the second quarter workbook it creates a Sheet 3. On Sheet 1 can I
> globally change all the references to Sheet 2 to Sheet 3?

Yes, easily. In Sheet 1, Find and Replace. Find "Sheet2" and Replace All
"Sheet 3". (Obviously without the quotes, and substitute the exact names of
your sheets)

HTH

0
gordon7598 (483)

Appending Excel data into an Access table while inserting the file name
I have a loop in an Access 2003 database that appends records from multiple Excel files within a given directory. The name of each Excel file cycles through one variable (ImpFileName) as its records are imported, but I also need to add the Excel file name to each record. I wanted to assign the value of ImpFileName to the DefaultValue property of the FileName field in the table as part of the DoWhile loop, but something is wrong with my syntax. My code is below, but only works if I comment out the line that assigns the DefaultValue property. Any help would be much appreciated! Dim tdf...

Problem with Hotmail?
I keep getting messages queued up to hotmail.com & msn.com, but no toehr domains. I'm using Exchange 2003 on Win2k3 w/ GFI Mail Essentials & Symantec Mail Security. Tracking center shows the the items get as far as "Routed and Queued for Remote Delivery". I've deleted the DNS Cache on our DNS Servers & on the Exchange Server, which didn't help. I rebooted the Exchange Server last night which cleared up the problem until this afternoon, when the problem returned. I can connect directly with telnet from our Exchange Server to mx1.hotmail.com 25. Any...

problems with manipulating clipboard
I just want to copy some text to the clipboard. The codes are as follows CString Content="some words!" if(::OpenClipboard(GetSafeHwnd()) ::EmptyClipboard() HGLOBAL GlobalBuffer=::GlobalAlloc(GHND|GMEM_SHARE,Content.GetLength()+1) char *buffer=(char*)GlobalLock(GlobalBuffer) memcpy(buffer,Content,Content.GetLength()+1) GlobalUnlock(GlobalBuffer) ::SetClipboardData(CF_TEXT,GlobalBuffer) ::CloseClipboard() //::GlobalFree(GlobalBuffer) questions 1. Shall I free memory allocated by GlobalAlloc()? If so it doesnot work when i paste the text into a editbox. Is windows responsib...

PST file >2GB
I have a use with a PST file >2GB. I ran the inbox repair tool, but failed. THe MS knowledgebase also recommends bulletin Q296088S which uses file 2gb152.exe. However, I can not download this executable. I get an error that the site or link is bad and it times out. Anyone has any idea how where else I can get a copy? Check this site: http://www.slipstick.com/problems/repair2gbpst.htm -- Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr **I apologize but I am unable to respond to direct requests for assistance. Please post questions and replies here in the...

show date file updated?
Can I have a field that automatically shows the date when the file was last updated? You can use code like Sub LastSaveTime() With ThisWorkbook If .FullName <> vbNullString Then .Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").Value = _ FileDateTime(.FullName) End If End With End Sub This will put the last saved date and time into cell A1 on Sheet1. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel, 10 Years Pearson Software Consulting www.cpearson.com (email on the web site) "Chris Hughes" <Chris Hughes@discu...

using hyperlink to open image file from a button
I use the hyperlink function to open an image file on the hard disk whose address is contained in a cell. But can I get this to attach to a button using a macro or can I open a file whose address is contained in a cell in some other way. I used a button from the Forms toolbar and placed it on my worksheet. I assigned it this macro: Option Explicit Sub testme() Dim BTN As Button Dim testStr As String Dim myCell As Range With ActiveSheet Set BTN = .Buttons(Application.Caller) Set myCell = ActiveCell Set myCell = .Cells(BTN.TopLeftCell.Row, "A&...

Mouse Problem
When I click on one cell inside Excel, it thinks that I am still pushing the mouse button. Thus when I move the mouse the cells get highlighted and whatever I do I can't work on my worksheet again, I have to reboot my machine and NOT USE THE MOUSE inside Excel!!! How can I solve this problem? Sincerely, André. Sounds like you have EXTend in play. Look on Excel's status bar; do you see EXT? If so press the F8 key to make it go away Best wishes -- Bernard Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove CAPS in e-mail address "Andr� Gabriel" <AndrGabriel@discussio...

Pivot Table Subtotal of Calculated Field Problem
I have created a pivot table for the purpose of viewing revenues by sales person, company and project. I am having a problem with the subtotals due to my use of a calcuated field. PLEASE HELP!! Here is the info: Sample Data Sales Person Company Project Sale Price August Order Qty Sam Company 1 Project 1 $100 10 Sam Company 1 Project 2 $300 5 Sam Company 1 Project 3 $250 10 Sam Company 2 Proj...

CRM 4 Email router problem
Hi, When testing an account in email router after creating the Outgoing SMTP connection, it says that the version of my CRM Email router is earlier than CRM Server version... What does it mean? Please advise. ...

don't insert quotes in excel save as tab-delim txt
I wish to export from an excel spreadsheet file to a tab-delimited text file - WITH NO QUOTES around any of the entries. They are not necessary, because tabs - not commas are the delimiters. I was quite disappointed that from changing to the older version of excel, which had a configurable export function, where I could specify "no quotes please" to excel 2000, I cannot specify this. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the...

.csv import privacy setting
i am trying to import a csv file into my calendar. the csv file has "FALSE" listed for the privacy setting. i thought changing it to TRUE would tag all of the events as private, but that did not seem to work. what needs to be done to import all as private? thanks! I'm not sure.... but you can import, use a table view (like all appointments) add the modified field and private field - right click on the private field and choose Group by. Drag appointments between the private: no and private: yes group. The Modified field helps you identify the items you import...

problem launching excel #2
I am using MSOFFXP ... I cannot get excel to come up by double clicking on my file....I hav to launch the excel program, click on open find the file and the select it... even if excel is running minimized clicking on a file in the explore will not open that file...the only way for me to open my files is b going through the excel program... my word program works as advertised... any suggestions?? Thanks \\ G -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi try the following: goto 'Tools-Options-General " and uncheck "Ignore other Applications" Exit Excel and try a...

ofc files
Hi, I have been using Money from ver 2003 and I have been downloading transactions in ofc files and it worked (i.e. imported to my account in Money) fine in 03 and 04. Now I have just upgraded my 2004 to 2005 and M05 wouldn't recognize (i.e. associate them in explorer) my ofc files. I've pointed the ofc files to be opened with mnyimprt.exe and it still doens't work. Any solution? Thanks. My understanding is thatMoney 05 doesn't support OFC downloads. -- Michael Gordon MVP "Ken" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:050901c4a5b7$e6531...

Changing a text name within a cell based on file name
Hello, I wonder if it is possible to change a cell contents based on the file name. For example I am using Excel file 2003 in my workbook sheet 1 in cell A2 it is populated with a text field - company name "Zenith Manufacturer" and in cell A3 has the company location text field "Tampa Florida" I have about 50 reports. The file name on one report can be Sch88 (Zen) or Ex 1 (Zen), etc. All of the 50 reports have unique names, but has the same identifier within the parentheses (Zen). Here is my problem I have to duplicate the same 50 reports with a different compan...

Importing access db into sql
Hello, I am new to this. I am not sure to post here or sql so I am starting here first. I am hoping someone can tell me on how to best handle a current access db (2007) and import to lastest sql 2005. There is no current sql database except to run Moss2K7. Are there any known issues or is it not a good idea to import. Please help. The database is growing and I am afraid that it will slow down performance of access. Infopath forms are pulling data from access as well. "Kerri" <kerri@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:OB9fp$AcIHA.1376@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... &g...

Printing problem with amalgamated cells
Hi, When I print a form I created, some characters are missing in merged written cells. When I uncheck this option it prints correctly. But, it is better when I write in a table's location to have the whole package of cells united. Any ideas to fix that? Thx! Werner -- Werner ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Werner's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24304 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=384646 If I can assume that "amalgamated" is your language's w...

Unable to open/expand the file menu
When in Word I am unable to open/expand the file menu. It just highlights the word "File" but nothing happens when I click on it. All other menu's work just fine. I have ran a detect/repair but that did not work. Any help would be appreciated. Go to Tools > Customize > Toolbars. Select "Menu Bar" in the list and click the Reset button. -- Regards, Jay Freedman Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so all may benefit. butter wrote: > When in Word...

using Money 98 files under Windows 7 Home Premium?
Hello, I have a friend who I have just moved onto Windows 7 Home Premium. He has some Money 98 , .mny, files. I understand that Microsoft has stopped support for Money? How can he access these files? He still has Money 98 on his old PC - can he open the files with this and save them in another form which he could access under Windows 7? Cheers Geoff In microsoft.public.money, Geoff wrote: > > >I have a friend who I have just moved onto Windows 7 Home Premium. > >He has some Money 98 , .mny, files. I understand that Microsoft has >stopped support ...

Import more than one .csv file into the same Excel file.
I have several .csv files which were created by saving data from Word forms. I want to be able to import all the files into the same Excel file. I have used the Get External data, Import text file commands to import the first, but this is not available to import the second. If I choose the Edit import option it replaces the row of data I already have from my first import. I am using Excel 2003. Why dont you merge the .csv files together using MS- DOS copy command. --Copy all .csv files to a single folder (say c:\temp\) --From command line type the command copy c:\temp\*.csv c...

Balances on Customer Import
We are in the final stages of changing over to RMS HQ and I have successfully imported our customers into the customer table and the balances match our previous accounts. However, when I try and generate a statement to see that the balances are being read, I am getting the error A10: has a balance discrepancy. Accounts Receivable indicates a balance of €0.00. The last closing balance indicates a balance of €1,457.45 as of 15/09/2007 I have looked at the accountreceivable table and see that there is a balance field in it. Can someone please advise me as to how I complete the impor...

Timesheet import timeout for ONLY ONE USER
Anyone have any ideas here? I've got only one user who is timing out when attempting to import a timesheet into My Tasks. A vast majority (everyone else including me) says "works fine for me". This user has cleared temporary cache, restarted IE, and rebooted his PC, but same result. Thanks, Andy Novak UNT Andy, Have you perhaps checked if the user can do this on another PC, have the user log in with his own account on another PC, if it then works it is a corrupted IE on the users PC -- Andre Venter Technical Consultant UMT South Africa MCP MCSE 2000...

MFC CArchive problem
Hi all, I'm experiencing some problems with using the CArchive class. In a static library (LIB), I have declared and defined class A, and class B, which is derived from A. Both classes are declared serial and implement serialization in the usual way (zero-argument constructor & virtual serialize method). The problem arises in the following situation: an application (statically linking LIB) assumes a certain file contains serialized instances of class A, and deserializes them. It cannot however, deserialize serialized instances of class B. I have found the reason for this to be that ...

Volume Problem in User Acct Only
Win XP Pro + SP3 + updates WMP 11.0.5721.5268 1 admin acct, several limited user accts I have a purchased audio CD that produces no volume in a user acct but plays correctly (with volume) in the admin acct. In the user acct I have checked all the volume controls, have run MS's troubleshooter utility, etc. No control that I can find is muted. In this user acct I can hear system alerts. Furthermore, with IE8 I can go to websites and play and hear videos. What can be blocking volume from a purchased audio CD that plays correctly in the admin acct? Isn't ther...

Restoring a calendar file
I accidentally syncronized my new handheld to my desktop with a setting that said have all data on the handhelp overlay the data on the desktop. I lost all my calendar settings and contacts. I did copy the directories to other locations and was able to copy and paste the contact list back into the primary on on my desktop, but I can't find a way to do the same thing for calendar. I have tried deleting the primary calendar and renaming the other directory - Outlook won't let me do that. Also can't copy/paste like I did with Contacts. Anyone out there have a solution? ...

Open multiple file cause excel to freeze
Hi all I'm using several files each using external links to applications like Reuters 3000 Xtra and Bloomberg. When I open each files separatly, I'm asked to refresh the links and the file opens without problem. If I open two or three of this file, Excel freezes on the opening of the last one. I have to kill the process in order to close Excel. These files are used by many of my users, some have Reuter and Bloomberg, some have only reuter or Bloomberg, and some have none. Here is what I noticed : There are freezes only if the user does NOT have Bloomberg installed, but, there...