Prevent Access To already open file

Hi,

I am new to excell and this forum.

Is there a way of preventing someone else opening an excel spreadsheet
whilst it is being edited by someonelse even read only.

Regards Dave:confused:

--
ashtod1
ashtod1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30168

Recover Outlook 2002 Archive file from Norton Protected Recycle Bin
Deleted Outlook 2002 backup/archive file by mistake. Found it in Norton Protected Recycle Bin. Made copies then tried to restore one copy from Nortons and one copy through Outlook import, both attempts failed with same results. Outlook does not recongonize file as personal folders file. Any suggestions. Assuming read only hasnt been set, Try running the repair tool, scanpst.exe on the pst. You may have to run it several times. Then in OL file/open, the pst "Larry" <onsitecs@fuse.net> wrote in message news:188ce01c44af4$0b2bc4f0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Deleted Outlook 200...

Double click to open form and create new record
Hi team, Have scoured all of the posts and tried several different things for days but just can't seem to nut this one out. I have a form (FrmSeedBankStockAvailable) in datasheet view that lists seed lots by BatchID. I want to be able to double click on the record selector for a particular batch and have a form (DialogSeedBankWithdrawal) open so that I can make a new withdrawal entry, with the BatchID already entered from the selected record. I know that to do this I need to use the forms' DblClick property. I have been using the following code (and tried variations of from...

Outlook 2003
Hi, I have to go through three Deleted Items folders in order to delete all the cr*p. Is there an Outlook option or a rule that someone can suggest to set up, in a step-by-step fashion, that will combine these three into one? Thanks, Feedscrn By default Outlook only has 1 deleted items folder. What are the other 2? Are they in 2 other personal folders? "feedscrn" <feedscrn@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1193150667.085940.208790@q5g2000prf.googlegroups.com... > > Hi, > > I have to go through three Deleted Items folders in order to > de...

Define: STM file
What's the STM file used for? On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 05:47:02 -0800, Larry <Larry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >What's the STM file used for? Its the partner to the corresponding edb file to form the store. It's the non-mapi streaming database ( as opposesd to the mapi store - the edb file), and contains messages in their native Internet format. If you have alot of OWA or POP , IMAP clients etc, it can get quite large. Parts of the every message in the stm file are also in the edb file and as they are modified, moved or if the mailbox is moved to another store, the ...

Excel 2007 error when opening program
"The INI file containing the temp chart file name could not be found" What does this mean and how can it be corrected. Recently upgraded from 2003 to 2007 ...

Re-enabled AD account can't open it's mailbox
Hi, we just disable the wrong users AD account, so we renabled it and they now cannot access their mailbox: They error on the Exchange 2003 server is: Disabled user /o=Company name/ou=New York/cn=Recipients/cn=Joe.Bloggs does not have a master account SID. Please use Active Directory MMC to set an active account as this user's master account. Try this article http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=278966 Nebojsa Seslija "SW" <SW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A43EEC0E-D62D-4213-9BC4-503EAA12E40A@microsoft.com... > Hi, we just disable the wrong u...

how do i get a template in MS access for managing employees & payr
Dear friends, i intend to design a simple database that can help my organisation manage its employees {departments, addresses, telephone nos, payments(both basic and extras), deductions from salaries, payment types(weekly, monthly, fortnights), contracts (types, terms and duration) and generate monthly details for each employee. Dear Isaac, You don't yet realise that what you have described is not a "simple database". Read widely, on how a relational database works. Here's a site where you can find lots of essential basic material: http://www.accessmvp.c...

Access Retirement
Hi, I don't know this is the relevant place or not, but i need information about Access 97 support. Can anyone tell me till when Microsoft is going to support Access 95 and 97? Is there any URL that i can know the timelines when and what product will be pulled out from the Product support? I need to upgrade few Access older version applications to the latest. Here i need to take a call, should i upgrade to Access 2003 or migrate the databases to SQL2K? Please someone reply to me. You can directly mail me at ramakrishna.vakacherla@Ibssinc.com I need this info to convey my client ...

How to detect if a file has been opened?
I want to use MFC CFile class to open a file, how can I know if the file has been opened by before I open it ? Thanks. >I want to use MFC CFile class to open a file, how can I know if the >file has been opened by before I open it ? Trying to open it exclusively is probably the best way. If it's already open, your call will fail. Dave ...

Access
How to write in Access a "find" sentence, that finds a specific record in a table (according to one of the fields) and displaya data from other fields? (Eg the user enters the IDnumber of a book, and gets a message box with the name of the book) -- Gal Look in Help at the DLookUp function Msgbox DLookUp("BookName","BooksTable","IDNumber = " & IDNumber) "Gal" wrote: > How to write in Access a "find" sentence, that finds a specific record in a > table (according to one of the fields) and displaya data ...

Print only the used sheets in all open files
I have the below macro to print the sheets that have info in cells D6 or D3 for all open workbooks. "PrintAllOpenFiles.xlsm" is the file in the xlstartup dir. If u run the small macro listed first within a single file it works but inside the bigger macro it doesn't. It doesn't look like anything happens - no debug option or anything. Any help is appreciated. 'Print Used Sheets Dim sh As Worksheet For Each sh In ThisWorkbook.Worksheets If sh.Visible = -1 Then If sh.Range("D6").Value <> &...

Restricting access
Ive got an exchange server 2000. Ive got it recieving smtp mail for the domain. I would like to restrict which users are allowed to send mail externally. Ive got 120 users and if they catch on ill have 120 users sending mail externally and recieving mail. Only a selected few must be able to send mail externally. So i need to block the rest of the users from being able to send mail to the internet. Create a Security Group in Active Directory, add the members who you wish to be able to send internet mail. On the Internet mail connector add this group to the Delivery Restriction page to acc...

File in Use problem
I'm revisiting some VBS scripts that I wrote several years ago to generate resumes for me (via Word macros) and would like some guidance on a couple of errors I am getting. I'll post about the two errors separately so that each has its own thread. My VBS script is pretty simple: ======================= ' Get arguments into variables If WScript.Arguments.Count > 0 Then MsgBox "Too many arguments; expecting none." WScript.Quit End If ' Find path for MyDocuments folder Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application") Set objFolder = o...

Read Text File into Excel Using VBA
Hi All, I'm a new VBA programmer. I know how to pull an entire text file into an Excel Spreadsheet, but I only want specific information from the text file not the entire text file. What I have is about 25 text files stored in a folder, let's say C:\test. Each file is named by a property address as follows: 209 MAIN ST.txt 213 MAIN ST.txt 111 ELM ST.txt 2356 WOOD AVE.txt On the 11th row of each file is as follows: Property Address:209 MAIN ST On the 31st row of each file is as follows: Total Value:30500 What I would like to do is read each file located in the "C:\test folder...

Have a display "Paging" through an XML file.
Via an ASPX (and code behind) in .net 2.0 I want to be able to "page" though and display the contents of an xml file. So if there are 100 elements, I can display "page 1 of 4" and list 25 elements per page. How can I do this? Below is the code used to display the XML file // Create XmlDocument and load the XML from file string FilterValue = "Autos"; XmlDocument XmlDoc = new XmlDocument(); XmlDoc.Load(new XmlTextReader(XMLFILE)); //Create the XsltArgumentList to be passed to the xslt doc XsltArgumentList xslArg = new XsltArgumentList(...

Bizarre XSD File Format Changes with Web Developer?
I have a bizarre problem when I try to validate XML documents and their schemas once they have been opened and transfered to a Visual Web Developer 2005 Express project. I receive validation errors for XML/XSDs that worked fine when first created in another environment (XMLSpy trial). I have a source XML document and an XSD file created wtih XMLSpy and stored in a separate folder. When I run a very simple VBScript to validate the XML with the XSD (in the process of a bulkload to SQL Server with SQLXMLBulkload.4.0), there are no validation errors, and the load to the DB works perfectly....

Delete email without opening?
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: pop How do I delete an email without opening the message. I have received emails that I want to delete without opening but if I click on them to delete, they open. <br><br>Thank you in advance. > This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3343745054_1473713 Content-type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit Click on the massage with right ...

Formula links in file
We have a master data file that about 50 other related spreadsheets have formula links to. Permission to this master file has now been restricted for many people so when they open some of the other 50 files the links don't work to master file. Can we cut and paste (rather than just copy) the master file to another location and will the links follow the file to the new location? If not, is there a bulk way of changing the addresses in the formulas to the new location of the master file. Ideally for all 50 at once or at worst for all tabs in each file at once. Thanks R...

Cannot find file error
HI, I have a machine that comes up with an error when "double-clicking" to open a file. When I double click any excel file I get this error. Cannot find file "..Filename..." (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available. The file can be on a file server or on local disk and I still get this error. I tried installing Office 2k SP3 in hopes that would fix something but, that hasn't worked. any hints? thanx, In Excel Go to Tools Options General and uncheck Ignore Other Applications ...

Accessing OPOS Drivers
Any idea how RMS is accessing various OPOS printers, like EPSON, Samsung etc. I tried to access OPOS printers using Microsoft.PointofService.Dll (Application developed using VB.NET, and installed POSfor.NET 1.1 version). It worked fine for EPSON series, but is not working for Samsung SRP-350 series. But RMS is able to print to it. Can someone specify how RMS is accessing various OPOS printers? -- Boss ...

cannot access excel spreadsheet
I have a received an excell spreadsheet attachment which I have saved in >my documents> but try to open it and nothing happens. what do I do to open it successfully? I am using micsrosoft windows XP No technical terms please as I am very new to computing Do you have Excel installed? In order to open an Excel workbook (file) you must have the Excel program installed on your computer. Excel is not a part of WindowsXP and you cannot download it for free from anywhere. There is a free Excel viewer with which you can view the contents of the file. You can download it at this ...

Bulding pdf-files with vba and acrobat 6.0
Hallo to all, since hours I am trying to create pdf-files with vba and acrobat 6.0. I would like to pass the path and filename by a variable. But it dosn't work. Has anyone an idea how I can do this. Many thanks in advane and greetings from Bremen (Germany) Martin Beering Martin, I can remember having trouble's automating the PDF printing. Though I can't remember exactly what they were. I found this macro on somebodies site and it works well... Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() ' Define the postscript and .pdf file names. Dim PSFileName As String Dim PDFFileName As Str...

Convert Access 2003 Back To Access 97 Problem
When I use the Access 2003 utility to convert my database back to Access 97, all the table links (ODBC to SQL Server) turn into local Access tables. Has anyone run into this problem and what can be done about it, if anything? Delete the tables and create new links. The work of minutes: file, import, as links. The wizard is too dumb to recognise ODBC links. It assumes all links are to Jet 4 tables, which won't be recognised by A97. (david) "MikeW" <mwhitson@msn.com> wrote in message news:1133954804.989951.93560@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > When I use the Acces...

Writing to a text file
What is the best way to read and write values to a text file? I'm planning on writing a text file storing servers in the following format: Name;Location;IP;Port Server 1;USA;143.234.12.43;6273 I just like to use the C runtime to do these things. You'll get a slight performance increase if you create one huge block in memory of all the text that you want written and just write that with one call instead of a loop. You'll need a good string buffer for this. > What is the best way to read and write values to a text file? > > I'm planning on writing a text file s...

Temporary Files Creation
Within the last 2 weeks I have noticed that after creating a new file or modifying an existing that excel and sometimes word create a temp file in the existing directory. (This is normal.) After closing the excel or word document the temp file does not delete itself from the folder. Has anyone else encountered this issue and have any recommendations to fix this issue? Turn off the Auto Save feature >-----Original Message----- >Within the last 2 weeks I have noticed that after creating >a new file or modifying an existing that excel and >sometimes word create a temp file...