Pivot Table Question

Hi

I run Win2K with Excel 2K

I have a pivot table with a number of headings. Whenever I refresh the table
the columns always adjust to autofit the headings. I would like to know is
there any way that you can fix the column widths on a pivot table so that
when you refresh the data they do not go back to the original with.

Thanks, any help is much appreciated

John
0
JohnCalder (178)

Right-click a cell in the pivot table, and choose Table Options
Ensure that Preserve Formatting is turned on, and AutoFormat is turned off.
Click OK

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures

0
dsd1 (5911)
8/29/2006 4:06:36 AM
Thanks a lot Debra, it works great !

John Calder

"Debra Dalgleish" wrote:

> Right-click a cell in the pivot table, and choose Table Options
> Ensure that Preserve Formatting is turned on, and AutoFormat is turned off.
> Click OK
>

> John Calder wrote:
> > I run Win2K with Excel 2K
> >
> > I have a pivot table with a number of headings. Whenever I refresh the table
> > the columns always adjust to autofit the headings. I would like to know is
> > there any way that you can fix the column widths on a pivot table so that
> > when you refresh the data they do not go back to the original with.
>

> --
> Debra Dalgleish
> Contextures

JohnCalder (178)
8/29/2006 10:52:02 PM
You're welcome! Thanks for letting me know that it worked for you.

John Calder wrote:
> Thanks a lot Debra, it works great !
>
> John Calder
>
> "Debra Dalgleish" wrote:
>

>>Right-click a cell in the pivot table, and choose Table Options
>>Ensure that Preserve Formatting is turned on, and AutoFormat is turned off.
>>Click OK
>>

>>John Calder wrote:
>>
>>>I run Win2K with Excel 2K
>>>
>>>I have a pivot table with a number of headings. Whenever I refresh the table
>>>the columns always adjust to autofit the headings. I would like to know is
>>>there any way that you can fix the column widths on a pivot table so that
>>>when you refresh the data they do not go back to the original with.
>>

>>--
>>Debra Dalgleish
>>Contextures

Debra Dalgleish
Contextures
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

0
dsd1 (5911)

Access 97 Runtime question
We are using Access 97 runtime for some of our staff. I noticed today that in reports if they right mouse click, they don't get a shortcut menu. I want them to be able to Export the report they are viewing. Would Access 2003 runtime have the shortcut menu? Thanks Kelvin "Kelvin Beaton" <kelvin dot beaton at mccsa dot c o m> wrote in message news:uiQA0i7zHHA.1168@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > We are using Access 97 runtime for some of our staff. > I noticed today that in reports if they right mouse click, they don't get > a shortcut menu. I want them to be...

Optimiztion question
I was looking at MSDN on optimizing queries (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms998577.aspx) and am unclear as to why a foreign key relationship affects the query in this case. At the beginning of the article it gives an example and starts out by saying: The sample screen shot in Figure 14.2 shows an execution plan that accesses only one table, although two tables are included in a join in the query. Because there is a declared foreign key relationship between the authors table and the titleauthor table, and the au_id column in the titleauthor table is not allowed to b...

Pivot Table with Quarter Subtotals across the top
Hello, I'm constantly creating pivot tables that show sales information by date across the top from left to right. I would love to insert a subtotal at the end of each calender quarter to subtotal the last three months. As it stands right now I just drop in the "Month" field from the data into the pivot table and the months flow through the pivot table. Is it possible to insert a quarter subtotal, say "1Q07" that will sum Jan-07, Feb-07 & Mar-07? Thanks in advance, Dza In 2007- Select any date heading, on the options ribbon click Group Field in the Group g...

Suggest a solution
Hi all. I have a table named Articles that has the fields: ArticleID, ArticleName, Price and so on.... What I want to do is to make a new table that would hold some related Property records for each article. For example... Color, Weight, Length,.. This is not a problem, but what I want is to be able to change fields names for the second table (like PropertyID, PropertyName) and be able to search among those values from query. This is the most important part: ---------------------------------------------------------------- I would like to have them as a field in query from ...

auto filter data within pivot table
Hello, Does anyone know how can we filter data within a pivot table? or sort the data from ascending to decending order withing a pivot table??? Can we do that? It doesnt seems to work?! Thanks. Elaine. You can add fields to the page area, and use them to filter the pivot table's data. To sort a field, select a cell in a column, and click the A-Z button on the Excel toolbar. elaine wrote: > Does anyone know how can we filter data within a pivot table? or sort > the data from ascending to decending order withing a pivot table??? > Can we do that? > > It doesnt se...

Macros/Signatures Question
I have an Excel Workbook that I created for a PC Order Form. I set it up to only make certain rows visible based on the Machine Model that they choose. I digital signed the Worksheets and exported the Digital Signature Certificate and installed it on the User’s PCs. The code works great. The user opens the Workbook and it runs the Macros with no problem. The problem I have is when the user goes to save the Workbook. They get an error that “Excel can not sign VBA macros when saving to this file format. Do you want to remove the digital signature and continue saving this workbook?”...

Simple IMAP question
Hi, How do I enable shared calendar with free/busy information through IMAP ? When I add the "calendar" folder in IMAP it displays as a mail folder, not a calendar. Pierrot Is this calendar a mailbox or public folder? Why are you using IMAP instead of MAPI? MAPI is much more feature complete as it applies to this sort of thing. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "Pierrot Robert" <mcthepro@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23NzXwrV6GHA.4352@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > How do I...

Exchange 2003 Question??
Dear all, I would like to know if there is an upgrade path from Exchange 2003 Standard Edition with SA to Exchange 2003 Enterprise Edition with SA? Thank you. Regards, Kueh. This might help http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;170280 -- Santhosh Sivarajan MCSE(W2K/NT4),MCSA(W2K3/W2K/MSG),CCNA,Network+ "KA Kueh" <kka@ksm.com.my> wrote in message news:exVKwgOKEHA.1040@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Dear all, > > I would like to know if there is an upgrade path from Exchange 2003 Standard > Edition with SA to Exchange 2003 Enterprise Edition wit...

Macro Question #10
Hi, I am working with a text file that I imported into Excel. It is a transactional report of sales by customer. The data will have the customer number and name spread out over three cells. What I want to do is to create a macro that will contatenate all three cell and then perform a paste special and paste them into another cell in another column. Since the number of transactions by customer can vary the customer name and number can appear anywhere on the page. I created a macro to do this using the first customer which appears in cell B5 through D5. The next customer appears...

Questions on migration from VS2005 to VS2010
Hi folks, As is the case every couple of years, I go through a nerve-wracking transition to a new development environment. The thing is, I've become really comfortable with VS2005, and our small team has a very simple and effective approach to development. I am nervous that VS2010 will negatively effect our productivity; but don't want to get too "far behind" toolset versions. So, that being said, I wanted to ask a few questions on what to expect when moving from VS2005 to VS2010 on an upcoming project. Your feedback is highly appreciated. Question...

question about leaving messages on server
My husband and I have 1 POP mail account. I am accessing it from a computer in Virginia, where I'm staying with relatives. He is accessing the same account from California. I have my Outlook set up to keep messages on the server, but to delete them after 1 day (so that he will still get the messages, but the server won't get clogged). His email program, Eudora, is set up so the messages will be deleted from the server after he downloads them. Is there a chance I won't get some messages because he has his computer set up that way? (He downloads it 1st, then it gets deleted off serv...

New to Money 2006
I was using Money 2004 and upgraded it to 2006 last night (God only knows, why :)). I started to hate the idea of Passport and Web Publishing my account details and so did not choose the Passport option. I was able to install with regular Money stand alone password and still update all my accounts by downloading them from the respective financial institutions (as I used to do with 2004). The problem is with MBNA America. I want to download the credit card transactions. But the online setup process is asking me for passport setup. I looked at the description of this bank on Microsoft site...

I am having trouble keeping numbers formatted in a Pivot Table
I have a pivot table that won't stay formatted. The data is formatted as currency in the worksheet that the Pivot Table is drawing off of. It shows up as a general number in the Pivot. I've tried formatting it in the Pivot but it doesn't stay when I refresh the data. "Preserve formatting" is checked on the Pivot table, so it SHOULD be preserving any formatting I apply to the pivot table, but that doesn't seem to be happening. I know I could record a macro to format this, but it is happening on multiple Pivot tables in the same workbook and that would be a pain ...

Filtering question
Is there a way to expand the filter option so that it shows 1 row (or more), both above and below any row that contains the value I am looking for? Data|filter|autofilter examines each cell/row on its own. Maybe you can put the key value for each group on the rows you want. Then filter by that column. richzip wrote: > > Is there a way to expand the filter option so that it shows 1 row (or more), > both above and below any row that contains the value I am looking for? -- Dave Peterson ...

upload form problem / server question
www.icingpictures.co.uk / win xp / frontpage 2003 Want to create a form with upload file form field - i read on this forum that the server type i use is important - it should be a windows type server with frontpage extensions - i currently use a linux server with front page extensions - do i need to change to a windows server? Thanks for taking a looka t my question. Joyce Yes, you must have a Windows Server, just like you stated you read. -- Tom [Pepper] Willett Microsoft MVP - FrontPage Since 1997 --------------------------- "threademporium" <threademporiu...

Editing more than 1 table at a time with SQL.
Say I have two tables in a DB called TABLE1, and TABLE2. TABLE1 [IDNUMBER] [FIRSTNAME] 1 Ryan 2 Jennifer 3 Monica TABLE2 [IDNUMBER] [LASTNAME] 1 Johnson 2 Snipes 3 Smith My question is would I be able to use SQL in code to Edit, Delete or Insert data to both tables in one string rather than one table at a time? For instance what if I want to change both tables with a [IDNUMBER] = 2 to a [IDNUMBER] = 4, OR change the ...

Pivot table field dropdown list reset #2
I would like to know if there is a way to reset a field dropdown list in a pivot table. In some field sometimes I delete data from the source and some items of the field will no longer be there. However, when I refresh the pivot table the dropdown list will still show the old items even if they're not in the source data anymore. I really need your help with this. Thanks a lot in advance for your help, Francisco Molina ...

Do you need MS Access to query on an Access table?
I'm asking these questions because I have looked at a lot of stuff in the discussion groups and still confused. I am fairly good at Excel programming but haven't been able to get Excel and Access to talk. First, I have Office 2003 Professional at work and Office 2003 without Access at home. I want to work on developing Excel programming at home which will get data from Access to Excel with either MS Query or with programming. Is it possible to just have the .mdb files on the home computer for Excel to work with, or do I need the Access program too? The info I want ...

Pivot Chart Bar Width
Is it possible to stabilize the width of the bars when using a Pivot Chart? When there is very little data to chart - based on the values I select from page data pull-downs - the bars are really fat. Other times they are thin. I would really like to have a standard width. tia Pat Watson Pat - The bars are based on a percentage of the spacing between categories. If you have fewer categories, the bars get wider. If you decreased the bar width (by increasing gap width on the Other tab of the format series dialog), they'd be much further apart. You can't adjust these automatical...

Outlook 2003 question #4
Hi ... I have 4 email accounts with outlook 2003 and they are all from the same isp provider ... My problem is when i am going to create an email to someone i can't tell which email account is sending the email to , its usually set a default ... What i mean is that when i view my email accounts they are listed as so and so default , # 1 , # 2 , # 3 , I don't know what 1 or 2 or 3 are ... Is there a way to notice which email account is which beside having numbers beside them ... I can't tell which is which ... It would be better if you could view the actual name of the ema...

How do I compare output data from 2 pivot tables in a graph forma.
I have a pivot table created for 2004 that shows the number of inspections we received on a particular day of the week (ie. 5 on saturdays, 2 on wednesdays, etc.) I am creating the same pivot table for 2005 and am looking for a way to graph the data (bar graph) of the pivot table from 2004 to compare with my 2005 data (ie. last year we received 5 inspections on saturdays, this year we received xx amount on saturdays). Is this even possible to do? I am using Office Pro 2003 and any suggestions would be greatly accepted. Doobi, One option is to combine the pivot tables for 2004 and...

How to purge all the Integration Manager log tables?
I went through and purged all the log files from Integration Manager using the procedure outlined in the IM User's Guide. However, after I was finished I looked at the tables in the im.mdb Access database and noticed that the following tables still have quite a few records in them: LogDocumentActivity LogActivity LogDocuments The Log table was empty, which makes sense since I purged all the logs. However, these other tables seem to have retained their records. Is there a way to purge these tables, too? -- Bud Cool, Accounting System Manager HDA, Inc. Hazelwood, MO GP 9.0, SP2 B...

Table headers in a list box (Custom Report)
I have a big table with many fields (more than fifty). They are not in one table but related. Now user's come with a requirement of a separate type of report everyday which has different fields. because of which i have to design a report for them with the required query. I was therefore wondering can i make a form which has two list boxes the one on left side will have all the fields of the table (only headers needed, not data). Users can select multiple no. of fields from that list box which will appear in another list box. Users should be able to then select the order of fi...

look way to map form at CRM frontend to tables at CRM database
How can I find out what tables which new record has been added on when I enter data through a form in CRM front end? I try to find way to map form in the CRM frontend to the tables at the CRM database at backend? It is CRM 3.0 Thank in advances for help! ...

Pivot table seems to round my figures up!
I have a pivot table that works very nicely except for one thing - th data has come through all rounded up e.g. in the data source sheet one column has the following figures: 0.69 0.94 1 but when I create the pivot table it shows all the data as 1 I have formatted all the source cells as number wit 2 decimals and als the numbers cells in the pivot table - now they look like 1.00 I really need to be able to show the 0.69 and 0.94 as well as the 1.00 Is this possible please? Many thanks in advanc -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com RaeHippyChick, Make sure that you are...