Pasting data from Excel

Hello everyone,
   I'm not sure if I should be posting this question here or in the Excel
forum but here goes.  Is it possible to copy data from multiple cells in
Excel and then paste them into multiple lines of the criteria section of an
Access query?  For example,  Given cells and values:  A1-  1
                                  A2-  2
                                  A3-  3
I would like to be able to copy this data from Excel and paste it into an
Access query like :  Criteria:  1
                          or:  2
                                3

I am using Access 2002 SP3 and Excel 2002 SP3
--
Thanks,
David

Actually this did get posted in the Excel forum.

The answer to your question appears to be NO.  I determined this simply by
creating a dummy database in Access with a table and then attempting to
create a query to extract data from the table and chose 3 cells with valid
criteria in them and pasted them into the criteria section of the query.
Boom!  Error.  All 3 values went into a single criteria row, so Access choked
on it.

"David" wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>    I'm not sure if I should be posting this question here or in the Excel
> forum but here goes.  Is it possible to copy data from multiple cells in
> Excel and then paste them into multiple lines of the criteria section of an
> Access query?  For example,  Given cells and values:  A1-  1
>                                   A2-  2
>                                   A3-  3
> I would like to be able to copy this data from Excel and paste it into an
> Access query like :  Criteria:  1
>                           or:  2
>                                 3
>
> I am using Access 2002 SP3 and Excel 2002 SP3
> --
> Thanks,
> David
Hi,

When you paste multiple lines into the criteria row of and Access query, all
the entries go into one cell, you could then put an OR between each one, but
you would need to do it manually.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"David" wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>    I'm not sure if I should be posting this question here or in the Excel
> forum but here goes.  Is it possible to copy data from multiple cells in
> Excel and then paste them into multiple lines of the criteria section of an
> Access query?  For example,  Given cells and values:  A1-  1
>                                   A2-  2
>                                   A3-  3
> I would like to be able to copy this data from Excel and paste it into an
> Access query like :  Criteria:  1
>                           or:  2
>                                 3
>
> I am using Access 2002 SP3 and Excel 2002 SP3
> --
> Thanks,
> David

why scrolling Excel Spreadsheet is so slow....
my config: Chinese WinXP Pro Chinese Office XP if open the same file in this config: Eng WinXP Pro Eng Office XP the file scrolling is very fast so strange... ...

Using Excel to input survey Information- How do I put checks against myself?
I need to make certain cells accept only "x" and nothing else. I have no idea why this is becoming such a difficulty. Also, I have data sets in there own colum. I need to mark an "x" under yes, no, or not sure. However, if I move too fast, I might put an "x" under yes and not sure. Is there any way to check for that? This sheet is going to get quite large, and manual rechecking will be a huge pain. Anyone have any idea's? Oh! I'm running Excel 2002. -- kinjour ------------------------------------------------------------------------ kinjour's Prof...

Replication of Data between site and Head Office
Hi all we are going to implement GP 8 in Head office. but the challenge is to implement it on our factory site too and access the data on both sides apparantly. we have a sattelite link between HeadOffice and Site. we have two options in our mind 1. Two Database servers one for Head Office and 2nd for Site and online replicate data between two servers 2. Make only one Server here in HeadOffice and the users from site will also access the same database for their daily working. Please let us know what would be the best possible way and approach that should be adopted so that our working w...

Select ALL + Paste function in EXCEL XP
Hi When I "Select All" in Excel copy and paste into Access XP, the only items that paste is what can be seen on screen, rather than the whole worksheet, which is should pick up. Can anyone help? Thank you ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

How do I plot multiple x-axis series in excel charts
I am plotting 3 years of survey data. Survey date is the x axis and count value is the y axis. Surveys were not conducted on exactly the same date in each year. In previous versions of excel I could convert the data to a number (i.e. julian date) Specifiy the minimum and maximum x-axis values and the data points would be diplayed at the appropriate x-value (date). However in Excell 2003 I can't seem to do this. I can't specify a scale for the x-axis and when I try and put specific values in for the x-axis excel will only use the last one entered and applies these date values to ...

data page readonly
Looking to update from A97 to A03 - mainly for the data access page feature only. I produced a simple data page, works fine. Problem, I have one field that I want as read only. The field readonly property is set to true. When the page is first opened, the field is read only. However, if I enter/edit data in another field, for some reason this field now becomes editable. This is scary. I want the field available to sort by (not disabled). but it needs to be locked. This is the first issue I've seen so far (within 2 days) of using 2003. Any ideas? ...

Linking a report to Excel
I am linking a report to excel & trying to loop through labels on the report labeled lbl20 - 27 & txt20-27. My report comes up blank when there is data in excel. My code below is lengthy but I figured it was helpful to see it all: Do While ClosingCount <= 27 And PercentVAR > 4.49 / 100 XLAPP.Windows("TotalErrors.xls").Activate XLAPP.sheets("Summary").Select XLAPP.Range("B" & CellNum).Select PercentVAR = XLAPP.activecell If XLAPP.activecell >= 4.49 / 100 Then XLAPP.activecell.Offset(rowOffset:=0, columnOffset:...

Excel: Backup Copy not same size as File
I have the create backup option checked so excel creates backuup everytime I save. Sometimes (cannot pinpoint when this is caused) when I save file the file is saved. File size is 4 MB. But the backup created is like 200K for this. When I look at the backup file 1 worksheet is missing and remaining everything is present. Any ideas?? Thanks ...

How can I sort text (in excel) while ignoring articles (e.g., the
I work in a library and want to sort lists of CD titles. I want to sort the list alphabetically while ignoring articles (e.g., the, a, an) when they appear as the first word in the title. Hi I don't think you can do this. what might work is to include the names in an adjacent column an eliminate the articles, then sort on that. For example, this formula will eliminate the words "The ", "An " and " " from the left of the text in cell A1 (note the addition of a spac after the word in the formula, to prevent all words begining with "A being cropped): ...

Need One Excel Template to copy to TWO Databases
Here's the problem: Right now I have a one template (.xlt) and one excel database (.xls) that works fine. Now I want to create a second database so tha whenever I enter in information into the template, it creates a copy i both excel databases. I could just create a new duplicate database and a duplicate templat but that would require me entering in the information twice. Since enter in a lot of information, this is very undesirable. Anyone please help me figure out how to link one template (.xlt) to excel database files (.xls) Steps already taken: When the template wizard asked ...

copy-paste emails don't work
How can I copy emails from a column in Microsoft Works database to paste them into a new email in Windows Live mails ? When I do this, it requires a ";" at the end of each email which is time consuming to add. How can I solve this problem ? Thank you You mean email addresses. You should be able to do a global search and replace. For example, if the addresses are currently separated by a space character you can replace all occurrences of the space character by '[space][semicolon]'. Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) wrote in message news:BD26...

Excel GETPIVOTDATA and Analysis Services
I have a problem with get GETPIVOTDATA, and getting data from an Analysis Services cube. When you drill down quite far, GETPIVOTDATA starts to display "#N/A", this seems to be because GETPIVOTDATA is cutting the 'variables' short. e.g. GETPIVOTDATA has the following: =GETPIVOTDATA("[Measures].[Value]",$A$3,"[IS Structure TEST]","[IS Structure TEST].[All IS Structure].[RETAINED INCOME].[NET INCOME BEFORE TAXATION AND AFTER INDIRECT COST].[NET INCOME BEFORE TAXATION AND BEFORE INDIRECT COST].[OPERATING INCOME].[NON-INTEREST INCOME].[CHEQUE ACCOUN...

how to create a data view in excel for customers
I am new to excel and can print out my entire customer info as a list, but is there a way to create a page for each customer with just their information on an individual page? I'd like to have each customer's information on their own page to print out for my binder. hi, Lisa ! > I am new to excel and can print out my entire customer info as a list, but > is there a way to create a page for each customer with just their information on an individual page? > I'd like to have each customer's information on their own page to print out for my binder. ...

Altering data that was called with LOOKUP
Hi, I have a list of data approx 9000 lines long (32 columns), and have a seperate sheet that allows a user to input a code. This then retrieves their data item using vlookup(). I would like to let the user then amend the contents of one of the fields, thus updating the original data list. Is this possible? thanks -- Lynxbci3 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Lynxbci3's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=10377 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=487545 It could be possible, ...

Generating XML from Excel
Hello, I have a question about how to use the XML export functionality in Excel 2003. I have a schema that I am using to map to colmns in Excel. That works great and I can export in a basic test. The problem comes in when I try to add in columns that should be child nodes of the existing row. I am not sure if I am using all the correct terminology. Here is an example. If you have a spreadsheet as follows: Name ID Hair Color CName VName CName VName Ted 1 Brown Level Mgr Area 12 I need the XML to map to: <user> <name>Ted</nam...

import dbase into excel XP limitations
I imported successfully a dbase iv db with excel XP but the db has about 95000 records and excel can only show about 65000. I tried to import it as a database with a filter that would show the remaining 30000 records but it only shows the headers. I even tried to open it in access 2000 but stil I can only view the headers. How can I access the last 30000 records ? Precision: The dbf file opens with Excel XP and shows all records only via File/Open. Using the import data function shows only the headers and no records... "chris" <p8200_NOSPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote in message n...

horizontal data to vertical data

Formats of Imported Data
When importing from Crystal 8.5 into Excel 2000, formats such as percentages and dates cannot be readily updated. I have to enter the format needed and Copy / Paste Special Formats to get the correct format. Is there an easier way? -- Hudd Hi see your other post -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Hudd wrote: > When importing from Crystal 8.5 into Excel 2000, formats such as > percentages and dates cannot be readily updated. I have to enter the > format needed and Copy / Paste Special Formats to get the correct > format. Is there an easier way? ...

directly emailing word or excel document
From either Word or Excel 2007 - File - Send as email attachment I get the error Logon Failed, you must log on to Microsoft Exchange to access your address book. I am using Windows Live Mail and have set thjis as my defalt email program ...

How to create a chart with two set of data
case 1) x values and two values in three columns side by side: Select all three columns of data and make chart case 2) x values and one y-value are in neighbouring columns but second y-range is elsewhere: Select x and first y; hold CTRL; select second y; make chart case 3) two sets of x and y values: make chart from first set; select second set and Copy; activate chart; use Edit | Paste Special | New Series (check the box for x-values in first column) Hope this covers it. Please use the white space to ask questions in detail best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http:/...

Excel 2010 PivotTable Oddity
Hi All, I have a very strange excel issue I was able to reproduce on two computers using Excel 2010. To reproduce the issue, do the following: 1. Paste the following info into a new Excel file: Type Amount Invoice 616 Cheque -616 Invoice 199.36 Cheque -199.36 Invoice 199.36 Invoice 67.2 Invoice 71.19 Cheque -337.75 Invoice 84 Invoice 100.8 Invoice 100.8 Invoice 106.51 Cheque -392.11 2. Create a PivotTable from this data. 3. Set up your PivotTable like this: i. Row Labels - Type ii. Values - Sum of Amount 4. Look at the Grand Total number On my systems, it's showing the grand total i...

Passing Data from a Main form to a Sub Form
Hi, I have a Main form and a Sub form. The main form is connected to a table on an SQL server. I use a combo box to select the value on the from the main from - this populates several fields on the main form. Then I would like to Press an 'Add To' button which then copies some of the fields on the main form to the Sub form (so the user can see the subform as it builds) - I am using continous forms for the subforms. So how do I create a new record in the subform, then copy field 1, 2 and 3 to the subform? Any help is greatly appreciated. Cheers. GLT =?Utf-8?B?R0xU?= <G...

How do I average data per minute and per 10 minutes?
Hi, I have data per 10 sec (Huge COLUMNS) and would like average it per 1 minute and per 10 minutes afterwards. I found some info about 1 hour data averaging, tried to modify it but have to do averaging per each set of data which is way too long... Is there any way to set this averaging per minute ? Formula appreciated. I am not sure I am doing it correctly.... Let's say the data starts in B1 So the first minute (60 seconds) of readings are in B1:B6 In C1 enter =AVERAGE(B1:B6) Now Select C1:C6 and double click the fill handle (small solid square in lower right corner of C6 when you...

Split Name Field in Excell
I have a single name field that has both the first and last name of some clients. How can I separate each name and create separate fields for each? Hi crystal the easiest place to start is by using data / text to columns ... insert a couple of spare columns to the right of the column you want to split select the column to split choose data / text to columns ensure delimited is selected - press next untick tab, tick space press finish let us know how you go Cheers JulieD "crystal" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5cf901c474b7$77d4abc0$a...

Why can't I see format changes in Excel?
I am working in excel and making format changes (i.e. font color changes) but I can't see them in the worksheet. But if I print preview or print the worksheet the format changes are there Karen If this is a problem with all Excel files with coloured cells, the Windows OS high contrast setting may be turned on. There is information in the following MSKB article: OFF: Changes to Fill Color and Fill Pattern Are Not Displayed http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-ca;320531 Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 05:38:03 -0800, "Karen-Acct" <Karen-Ac...