Parsing excel field help !

Does any know how can I check all the characters of a field and check
that there is not an alphanumeric character (a-z) and if there is one
changing to zero.

Ex.  5J00  = would like to change it to 5000.
       20A5 = would like to change it to 2005.

Thank you.

Luis

try

Sub changecharactertozero()
For Each c In Selection
For i = 1 To Len(c)
If Not IsNumeric(Mid(c, i, 1)) Then c.Replace Mid(c, i, 1), "0"
Next i
Next c
End Sub

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
<luis.a.roman@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Does any know how can I check all the characters of a field and check
> that there is not an alphanumeric character (a-z) and if there is one
> changing to zero.
>
> Ex.  5J00  = would like to change it to 5000.
>       20A5 = would like to change it to 2005.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Luis

0
dguillett1 (2487)
2/3/2007 2:44:36 PM
If the test cell will ALWAYS be 4 characters,
this formula works:

With
A1: (4 character value)

B1:
=IF(ISERR(--MID(A1,1,1)),"0",MID(A1,1,1))&IF(ISERR(--MID(A1,2,1)),"0",MID(A1,2,1))&IF(ISERR(--MID(A1,3,1)),"0",MID(A1,3,1))&IF(ISERR(--MID(A1,4,1)),"0",MID(A1,4,1))

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"luis.a.roman@gmail.com" wrote:

> Does any know how can I check all the characters of a field and check
> that there is not an alphanumeric character (a-z) and if there is one
> changing to zero.
>
> Ex.  5J00  = would like to change it to 5000.
>        20A5 = would like to change it to 2005.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Luis

Try this:

=SUBSTITUTE(A1,MID(A1,MATCH(FALSE,ISNUMBER(--MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1))),1)),0),1),0)

ctrl+shift+enter, not just enter

"luis.a.roman@gmail.com" wrote:

> Does any know how can I check all the characters of a field and check
> that there is not an alphanumeric character (a-z) and if there is one
> changing to zero.
>
> Ex.  5J00  = would like to change it to 5000.
>        20A5 = would like to change it to 2005.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Luis

Caveat.....works if there is only one non-numeric or, if more than one, they
are the same character.

Works for 5AA5
Fails for 5AB5

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Teethless mama" wrote:

> Try this:
>
> =SUBSTITUTE(A1,MID(A1,MATCH(FALSE,ISNUMBER(--MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1))),1)),0),1),0)
>
> ctrl+shift+enter, not just enter
>

> "luis.a.roman@gmail.com" wrote:
>
> > Does any know how can I check all the characters of a field and check
> > that there is not an alphanumeric character (a-z) and if there is one
> > changing to zero.
> >
> > Ex.  5J00  = would like to change it to 5000.
> >        20A5 = would like to change it to 2005.
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> > Luis

Here's a shorter alternative:

With
A1: (the test value)

=SUMPRODUCT(IF(ISNUMBER(--MID(A1,{1,2,3,4},1)),MID(A1,{1,2,3,4},1))*{1000,100,10,1})

Is that something you can work with?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

<luis.a.roman@gmail.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> Does any know how can I check all the characters of a field and check
> that there is not an alphanumeric character (a-z) and if there is one
> changing to zero.
>
> Ex.  5J00  = would like to change it to 5000.
>       20A5 = would like to change it to 2005.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Luis

Luis

Here's a generic array formula. It will work for
an arbitrary number of characters in the cell and
for an arbitrary number of non-numeric characters.

=SUM(IF(ISERROR(MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1))),1)+0),0,
MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1))),1))*10^(LEN(A1)-ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1)))))

To be confirmed with <Shift><Ctrl><Enter>, also if edited later.

--
Best regards
Leo Heuser

Followup to newsgroup only please.

Looking for Excel Help

New to excel

Need Help, Task Start Date is wrong

Excel button problem

Excel 97 #9

get a result of an sql into a field

learning Excel #3

Please help #8

How to create an autonumber field?

HOWTO: Customizing CRM

q Emailing Excel Sheet With Outlook

Excel VBA

form fields not saving to table

Help with importing data

Load image in a unbound control from a attachment field in recor
I have a unbound (single not continuious) form with 16 differant records from the same recordset. No problem loading the this data from recordset in VBA. PROBLEM I need to know how to load the unbound controls with Image's from an attachment field in another recordset The normal method of control = Rs!field does not work Please advise -- Thanks Tom dans l'article 78DC5502-3A76-4562-AA20-736446AB1448@microsoft.com, Tom � Tom@discussions.microsoft.com a �crit le 21/01/08 20:28�: > I have a unbound (single not continuious) form with 16 differant records from > the same record...

Any way to open an excel file directly to a worksheet?
I am building an application with an icon that launches an excel file when clicked. Is there any way I can open the file directly to a specified worksheet? The names of the worksheet are fixed and so is the file, so I am guessing adding some parameter after the filename should do the trick. Any help will be appreciated. Regards Sid -- skiddyrow ------------------------------------------------------------------------ skiddyrow's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=23965 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=386335 Hey...

Please Help with Multiple Field Primary Keys
I have two tables in a database that have to use four fields for a unique identifier and primary key. How do I set up a query to set a relationship between those four fields together as one? When I add the tables to the query I see the fields, but I am not having any success properly setting the relationships. The upper half of the query design window is where the 2 tables appear. Drag Field1 from Table1, and drop it into Field1 from Table2. Access displays a join line from one table to the other. Drag Field2 from Table1, and drop it into Field2 from Table2. Repeat for the other 3 f...