Page breaks shift after preview/setting print pref

I have a small database (16 pages; 659 rows/13 columns) where the page break
consistantly shifts from its forced position (i.e. I have manually placed the
breaks where needed).  It is saved with new position intact, etc., but still
shifts when either reopened or after previewing and/or setting printing
preferences.  Others opening the workbook from other PC have different page
break settings than mine... What is the user interface error here?  :-)
Thanks for any feedback, no matter how embarressing...
--
Always hoping to learn,
Lara  :-)

If you have the bag filled to the brim, then just moving it can make it overflow.<g>

Each printer sees and set things up a little differently.
Even using the same printer, older vs. newer printer drivers can cause
page breaks to shift.
Different screen resolutions can also scramble things up.

You might be better off telling Excel, in page setup, to fit to 1 page wide
and to "empty" pages tall.  Then just let it print.
-or-
Allow generous room around your data on each page and you probably
won't have any problems.
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Lara H."
wrote in message
I have a small database (16 pages; 659 rows/13 columns) where the page break
consistantly shifts from its forced position (i.e. I have manually placed the
breaks where needed).  It is saved with new position intact, etc., but still
shifts when either reopened or after previewing and/or setting printing
preferences.  Others opening the workbook from other PC have different page
break settings than mine... What is the user interface error here?  :-)
Thanks for any feedback, no matter how embarressing...
--
Always hoping to learn,
Lara  :-)
0
jim.coneXXX (771)
2/14/2008 1:50:26 AM
I'm guessing that it's a difference in printers (or printer drivers).

You may want to set those manual page breaks as conservatively as possible.
Find the "worst" printer and make your pagebreak decision based on that printer.

On the nice printers, you may find that you have larger margins, but so what
<vbg>.

--

Dave Peterson
0

I understand the full bag metaphor!  And I hadn't considered the printer
aspect of this, since it is happening before printing.  Duh!  Unfortunately,
I can't reduce down to one page or the data will be smaller than humanly
readable!  ;-)  I had told Excel to have page set up at 17 pages wide by 17
tall, then tweaked it, etc.  That is the only way to make it print out in the
way "Boss" wants it.  Thanks for the prompt response and generosity of info!
--
Always learning,

"Jim Cone" wrote:

> If you have the bag filled to the brim, then just moving it can make it overflow.<g>
>
> Each printer sees and set things up a little differently.
> Even using the same printer, older vs. newer printer drivers can cause
> page breaks to shift.
> Different screen resolutions can also scramble things up.
>
> You might be better off telling Excel, in page setup, to fit to 1 page wide
> and to "empty" pages tall.  Then just let it print.
> -or-
> Allow generous room around your data on each page and you probably
> won't have any problems.
> --
> Jim Cone
> San Francisco, USA
> http://www.realezsites.com/bus/primitivesoftware
> (Excel Add-ins / Excel Programming)
>

> "Lara H."
> wrote in message
> I have a small database (16 pages; 659 rows/13 columns) where the page break
> consistantly shifts from its forced position (i.e. I have manually placed the
> breaks where needed).  It is saved with new position intact, etc., but still
> shifts when either reopened or after previewing and/or setting printing
> preferences.  Others opening the workbook from other PC have different page
> break settings than mine... What is the user interface error here?  :-)
> Thanks for any feedback, no matter how embarressing...
> --
> Always hoping to learn,
> Lara  :-)

0
LaraH (3)
2/14/2008 7:45:04 PM
Thanks for the response, Dave!

I deffinately hadn't considered the printer aspect of this (so focused on
MAKING Excel obey me!  LOL)  We have everything from an OSe to HP Laserjet
3700dn here - a true plethra of choices!  ::sigh:: ah well... Thanks for the
prompt response and generosity of info!  Will keep coming back and seeing
whatever gems of wisdom I can glean.  I have a very bad feeling this database
is going to have to move to ACCESS anyway...
--
Always learning,

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> I'm guessing that it's a difference in printers (or printer drivers).
>
> You may want to set those manual page breaks as conservatively as possible.
> Find the "worst" printer and make your pagebreak decision based on that printer.
>
> On the nice printers, you may find that you have larger margins, but so what
> <vbg>.
>
> Lara H. wrote:
> >
> > I have a small database (16 pages; 659 rows/13 columns) where the page break
> > consistantly shifts from its forced position (i.e. I have manually placed the
> > breaks where needed).  It is saved with new position intact, etc., but still
> > shifts when either reopened or after previewing and/or setting printing
> > preferences.  Others opening the workbook from other PC have different page
> > break settings than mine... What is the user interface error here?  :-)
> > Thanks for any feedback, no matter how embarressing...
> > --
> > Always hoping to learn,
> > Lara  :-)
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
LaraH (3)

How to prevent breaks in sentences within a paragraph when email
When I type a paragraph within an email, it looks great, even after I've added words to the sentence, or changed the sentence structure. Then I send the email, and sometimes send it to myself, but the sentences and paragraph are chopped up, and the idea doesn't "flow" like I wanted it to. Any suggestions on how I can keep the sentences together so they make more sense? I have looked at every option in "Tools", but haven't found a solution. Thanks. Are you using HTML or plain text? HTML will generally keep the same formatting while plain text ...

RDLC 2008 Error in print layout mode
Hi I have converted a local report in a windows form application from VisualStudio 2008 to VisualStudio 2010. In the report viewer the report is correctly visualized, but, sometimes, in print layout (or if i print the report) I obtain this exception: "An error has occurred during report processing" "Index was outside the bounds of the array". The report is binding to a object data source, if i delete some object from my data source the error disappear. Thank in advance Giorgio Hi Giorgio, Is your object in your data source shared by multiple thread...

Publisher 2003
In Publisher 2003 is there a way to format and print an index page. I.e., contents page with hyperlinks to source documents. I want to be able to print all the documents with just one print command, rather than individually. On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 17:20:28 +0000, SpurstowGal wrote (in article <CB1E0D35-D82E-43E5-9068-9D6F99DEFA51@microsoft.com>): > In Publisher 2003 is there a way to format and print an index page. I.e., > contents page with hyperlinks to source documents. I want to be able to > print all the documents with just one print command, rather than individuall...

Set Up Windows Internet Explorer 8
I received a pop up stating to install Windows Internet Explorer 8 and I installed it. Now my computer is not cooperating as it did prior to the install on several previously used applications. Can you tell me how to fix it or uninstall. I want to make sure this was legitimate. Thank you No-charge support for Internet Explorer 8 installation, set-up and usage (only) is available via telephone (based on your locale) through 31 December 2009. Customers must be running Windows XP or Windows Vista in a non-domain environment. => US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020 =&g...

Printing
I am receiving an error message: An operation on table 'CN_Printer_Settings' failed because the path does not exist. Can anyone help me resolve this issue? ...

Exporting Excel into Word to print Labels
I am using Microsoft Office 2000 and would like to print off address labels for mailings. We use a program designed for a Mortgage Company and I can create a report with all borrower information then export into Excel. My question is how to I eliminate duplicate lines in Excel and print mailing labels? Thanks in advance, Pam Pam For help on Word mail merge using Excel as the data source. http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge/CreateAMailMerge.htm http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge/CreateADataSource.htm To eliminate duplicate...

Pictures printing Black and White, want color
Everthing is printing in color on my Newsletter except photographs.... and I want them in color. Any ideas how to fix it would be appreciated. Look in your printer setup Preferences. It's probably set for black and white or maybe shades of grey. -- Don Vancouver, USA "Claudia" <Claudia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:94592D05-7C41-4489-95AC-E8B0983676CC@microsoft.com... > Everthing is printing in color on my Newsletter except photographs.... and > I > want them in color. Any ideas how to fix it would be appreciated. Unfortunately,...

How can I set View as HTML as the default view...
I am trying to use a news group in which the dominant form of message is based on HTML. But my Outlook news reader forces me to manually turn each message into HTML which is a pain. It must have changed with some security update. I want my old settings back! -- Henry Stock, Network Administrator onProject.com 3 Wing Drive Cedar Knolls, NJ 07927-1006 Henry Stock <hstock@onproject.com> wrote: > I am trying to use a news group in which the dominant form of message > is based on HTML. But my Outlook news reader forces me to manually > turn each message into HTML which is a...

Print Preview --> Print MSAccess 2003
I am doing calculations and running totals and populating unbound controls. Should these calcs be in On Format or On Print? The symptom I am getting is that navigating through the Print Preview is OK (totals are explicitly set to 0 in Report Header), but if I then use Print, the calcs are firing again, for each time I press print. The incorrect result is Only on the printed version, the screen version rermains correct. ...

Excel 2007 Page numbering
Is there a way in 2007 to consectively number all the sheets beginning with one (1) until ....? Thank you in advance for your help. Do you mean consecutive page numbers when printing more than one worksheet? Select the sheets to print using CTRL + click or Shift + click Then set up the header or footer with &[Page] The selected sheets will print consecutively page-numbered. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 14:09:01 -0800, Dottie <Dottie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is there a way in 2007 to consectively number all the sheets beginning with >one (1)...

Problems with Colour Printing
Hi there, I have a spreadsheet with multiple sheets containing colour formatting (including graphs) that is regularly printed out in colour and greyscale. The problem I have is that when I need to print out several sheets simultaneously I uncheck the "Greyscale" option under print options and have the print job come out in colour. To print multiple selected sheets in colour I need to change the print options for each individual sheet (about 10 in all) to colour (non- greyscale). One strange peculiarity of this is that some of the sheets will not need to be "Unchecked"...

Print Preview in color
What setting do I need to change to see publisher print preview in color. My print preview is in grey. In print preview screen the "colo/grey scale" button, "print options" button, and "color seperation" button are all grey out. Any advice will be appreciated. -- Bamar Do you have printer drivers for a color printer installed on your computer? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Bamarlumyo" <Bamarlumyo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9D293DCD-1BC5-47E3-B0BF-B3621227A578@microsoft.com... > What setting do I ne...

When I print invitations, the guidelines are printing.
Does anyone know how to make the guidelines not print on my card stock? When you go to Print, go to File > Print > Advanced Print Settings > Page Settings > Printer's Marks and uncheck crop marks. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "cudivermom" <cudivermom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AB1F34F0-BB74-4107-8E80-DB133F96699A@microsoft.com... > Does anyone know how to make the guidelines not print on my card stock? ...

No print graphics or Word Art in Excel 2003
For some reason, all of a sudden, I cannot see or print graphics or Word Art while using Office 2003. Can anyone help me on this? Do you have objects showing? To check, choose Tools>Options On the View tab, under Objects, select 'Show All' bmohamed wrote: > For some reason, all of a sudden, I cannot see or print graphics or Word Art > while using Office 2003. Can anyone help me on this? -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

Setting up Exchange Cluster with AD
This is a general question. We are about to setup a "new" exchange server and move our existing exchange to that. With the "new" server we want to have another machine in a "cluster" setup. Operating system will be windows 2003 and will be exchange2003. Do the machines need to be identical hardware? ? What other things do we need to concern ourselves about on these two machines.? Specifically AD, Global catlog settings, Domain settings etc -- John Christie John MS do not support a AD domain controller in a clustered environment so don't install a DC ...

Rules
I have Outlook 2003 with high speed internet connection. I have four separate email accounts. When I set up the first rule to go to my main email account, the forwarded email goes to all the email accounts. Here is how the rule is set up: Select conditions: on this machine only through the specified account Rule description: on this machine only through the specified account foward it to <email address> Setup rule options: Turn on this rule is checked create this rule on all accounts is disabled How can i create a rule so that it will not go to all my email accounts? ...

Set Form Modal and Popup values to True
I'm using the API call to hide the Access window. Because of this, all of the forms in my application have to have their Popup and Modal properties set to True, but this limits editing capability during design, so I frequently change these values to False (manually). What I'm wondering is how to do this programmatically. I tried looping through the forms in the AllForms collection, but I couldn't figure out how to actually set the values through the code. What I want to do is write a subroutine that will change these values for all of my forms to either true or false and...

2 sided printing in publishing
Is there an easy way to print both sides of a publisher catalogue? I make booklets on heavy paper and want to use both sides; so that when it is bound, I don't have blank back sides. judyt <judyt@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > Is there an easy way to print both sides of a publisher catalogue? I > make booklets on heavy paper and want to use both sides; so that when > it is bound, I don't have blank back sides. You could buy an auto-duplex module for your printer, or you could manually turn the paper over to print the reverse side. -...

Report only prints 6 pages
I find I am unable to create a report that will print more than 6 pages. AND, if I shorten the detail area (bring the footer up close to the detail), it will print even fewer pages. I have created a new, empty database. I have created one table, with a first and last name as columns. I have entered 11 rows in that table. I have made a report with a record source that selects all of the rows in that table - no criteria - nothing fancy. If I put the first_name and last_name in the page in the Page Header section, the report will print from 2 to 6 of the rows, depending on how much spac...

There is no change to Print (from web format) in my file menu.
I am attempting to change a file from web format to print document format. Your help response is to click on "change to print" in the file menu. This option is not in my file menu. Can you help? ...

Rota's and Daily Shift Pattern's
I've got a basic rota sheet with Mon-Sunday along the top and the names of the staff down the side. Each day a memember of staff is either AM, PM or OFF. I'me trying to create a sheet that just has monday at the top with all th AM people on it. Then a sheet with all the PM people on it. Any idea's? Thanks in advance Scott. Hi Scott is this just for printing out? if so i would use the autofilter (data / filter / autofilter) - choose the drop down for MONDAY, choose AM print results ... choose PM, print results .... Cheers JulieD "Scott Cheesman" <Scott Che...

Summing sets of numbers but with special conditions
Hi - I need a formula to do the following. I have 2 columns of six numbers - for example: A B 1 75 70 2 83 69 3 80 72 4 84 67 5 95 83 6 93 80 The formula needs to do the following: 1. Find the lowest number in column A (75 in row 1 in the above example) 2. Discard the number in corresponding cell in column B (70 in cell B1) 3. From the remaining numbers in column B, discard the highest (83 in cell B5) 4. Add together the remaining 4 numbers in column B (69, 72, 67, 80) and add this result to the number found in step 1 (75) to give a total (363) Any ideas/pointers most w...

How do I print just the section a through f only?
Version 2003 Thank you for any help. Sincerely, Colors Highlight the cells you want to print, eg A1:F45, and click File | Print Area | Set Print Area. Then if you do File | Print Preview you can see what it will look like before printing it out. Hope this helps. Pete Colors wrote: > Version 2003 > > Thank you for any help. > > Sincerely, > > Colors Select the range in A through F and File>Print Area>Set Print Area Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 16:08:01 -0700, Colors <Colors@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Version 2003 > ...

Printing EXCEL items in WORD
Excel seems to work better for tables than WORD's tables; yet when a table created in EXCEL is copied and pasted into a WORD document I caannot get the gridlines to print. Even thouigh in EXCEL the print gridlines instructions are checked. What should I do? I've always apply borders--either in Excel or in Word. In Word: select a cell in the table Table|Select|Table Format|borders and shading|borders tab check the All icon. The gridlines in Word don't print. Word's help says to use borders. (I just checked.) Old Red One wrote: > > Excel seems to work bett...

AppDateTimeControl on custom page?
Dear all, I am interested in using the Microsoft CRM AppDateTimeControl, but I have having problems using it on custom made page... the error is 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object. ' I have no idea what is wrong and everything has been linked correctly (presumably.) Please help!! Godzilla - I don't think I can answer your question. But you should be aware that use of the CRM appliation controls is not supported. They aren't intended to be re-used this way. Best regards, Jim This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers ...