Open Multiple Files In New Windows

I can't seem to find an instruction/direction for how to open Excel
files in different windows.  I want to compare a couple of charts next
to each other and every time I open a new file, it opens it into the
previous window, forever leaving me with only one file open.

Thanks.

Bright Spark

Both workbooks are open.......you can just see one of them.

Got to Window>New Window

Then Window>Arrange>Vertical.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 21:34:41 -0700, Bright Spark <BrightSpark1901@Hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I can't seem to find an instruction/direction for how to open Excel
>files in different windows.  I want to compare a couple of charts next
>to each other and every time I open a new file, it opens it into the
>previous window, forever leaving me with only one file open.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Bright Spark

0
Gord
3/17/2007 4:44:16 AM
Goto toolbar    Window|Arrange| Then you can choose

"Bright Spark" wrote:

> I can't seem to find an instruction/direction for how to open Excel
> files in different windows.  I want to compare a couple of charts next
> to each other and every time I open a new file, it opens it into the
> previous window, forever leaving me with only one file open.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bright Spark

0
Mike1154 (1216)
3/17/2007 4:46:11 AM
Thank you very much.

That gets me two files open inside one actual file window - which
certainly works for what I wanted to do - but is there no way to have
more than one window of Excel open at the one time?  Two completely
separate files where I could, for instance, minimize one and have the
other open and jump back and forth?

Bright Spark

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 21:44:16 -0700, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca>
wrote:

>Both workbooks are open.......you can just see one of them.
>
>Got to Window>New Window
>
>Then Window>Arrange>Vertical.
>

>Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
>
>On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 21:34:41 -0700, Bright Spark <BrightSpark1901@Hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>I can't seem to find an instruction/direction for how to open Excel
>>files in different windows.  I want to compare a couple of charts next
>>to each other and every time I open a new file, it opens it into the
>>previous window, forever leaving me with only one file open.
>>
>>Thanks.
>>
>>Bright Spark

Thank you very much, Mike.

I was hoping to be able to open two completely separate files in
separate windows, rather than inside the same file.  Is that possible?

Bright Spark

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 21:46:11 -0700, Mike
<Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Goto toolbar    Window|Arrange| Then you can choose
>
>"Bright Spark" wrote:
>
>> I can't seem to find an instruction/direction for how to open Excel
>> files in different windows.  I want to compare a couple of charts next
>> to each other and every time I open a new file, it opens it into the
>> previous window, forever leaving me with only one file open.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Bright Spark

You may want to use:
Tools|Options|View Tab|Check windows in taskbar
(and don't group similar taskbar buttons)

Then you can just use the icons on the taskbar to swap back and forth.

But if you really want separate instances of excel (I wouldn't), you can open
the first workbook anyway you like.

Then click on windows start button|Run
type
excel
and hit enter

Then File|Open thesecondworkbook.xls
in that instance.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Now I have a different problem since I started messing with the
windows -- now none of my Excel files will open with the contents
showing after just a double click - it opens to just a blank - and the
only way I can see the contents of any of my files now is to again
click on each one Windows/View/Active Worksheet - and even then all
the worksheets are "free-floating" and not locked in to position.  Oh,
dear.

Bright Spark

#1.  One of the problems occur with multiple instances is when you try to copy
formulas from one instance to the other instance.  To each instance of excel,
they're just separate programs--so copying goes through the windows
clipboard--not excel's clipboard--and you'll find that things behave
differently.

#2.  If you mean you can open a file by doubleclicking on it in windows
explorer, but the worksheet window is off the screen, you can use
window|arrange|tiled to see the worksheet window.

Then you can doubleclick on the worksheet window title bar to maximize it within
the excel application.  Excel likes to help by remembering the arrangment of
windows --  You may have to do this (and then save the file) to stop excel from
helping the next time it opens the file.

#3.  If you mean that when you double click on a file in windows explorer that
excel opens, but no workbook opens, then try these:

Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)

--- or ---

Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /unregserver
then
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /regserver

factory defaults.

Maybe one of these will work for you.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Open your first file, and then click the "Restore button"
(two squares overlapping) the inner or lower one,
and drag  the window to your required shape.
Open the second file and do the same thing.

Right-click the top edge of one of the inner files
 > Arrange > Vertical > OK.

Is this anything like an answer?

George Gee

"Bright Spark" <BrightSpark1901@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I can't seem to find an instruction/direction for how to open Excel
> files in different windows.  I want to compare a couple of charts next
> to each other and every time I open a new file, it opens it into the
> previous window, forever leaving me with only one file open.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bright Spark

0
georgegee (154)
3/17/2007 8:41:06 PM
Oh, thank you George -- this works just fine.

Thanks very much.

Bright Spark

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 20:41:06 -0000, "George Gee"
<georgegee@nomaps.com> wrote:

>Try this:
>
>Open your first file, and then click the "Restore button"
>(two squares overlapping) the inner or lower one,
>and drag  the window to your required shape.
>Open the second file and do the same thing.
>
>Right-click the top edge of one of the inner files
> > Arrange > Vertical > OK.
>
>Is this anything like an answer?
>
>George Gee
>

>"Bright Spark" <BrightSpark1901@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I can't seem to find an instruction/direction for how to open Excel
>> files in different windows.  I want to compare a couple of charts next
>> to each other and every time I open a new file, it opens it into the
>> previous window, forever leaving me with only one file open.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Bright Spark

circular files; iterating to a "correct" solution
I am working with a circular file. I have been making changes to the file, and I have noticed at times when i manually calculate that the file iterates to an obviously "incorrect" solution. No amount of changing the max no of iterations or the max change seems to fix the problem. It iterates to the same "incorrect" solution every time. It is like it is stuck in a rut and can't get out. I have also noticed that, if I manually calculate each worksheet separately (that is, hit shift - f9 simulaneously on each worksheet individually, from left to right) all the ...

find action on log file

File size #11

Maximum file sizes

Attaching Contacts to new email