Odd Looking Number

Hi
I am using a spreadsheet in Excel 2002 on Windows XP, for some reason the
account numbers (which someone input, along with addresses) have a little
green mark in the corner of the cell. I thought it was to show that there is
a comment, but it is not. When you click on the cell, a little warning sign
shows, saying ERROR - number in this cell formatted as text or preceded by an
apostrophe. When I click on the arrow by the warning sign, it says
Number stored as text
Convert to number
Ignore error
Edit in formula bar
Error checking options
Show formula in audinting toolbar

Now I looked at the cell, and it has no apostrophe, so I went up to Format,
Cells, Number but that had absolutely no effect when I said to convert the
cells to number format. So I click on Convert to number and what I got was
something like this - 1234567895+E2. What is going on, I was told to just
ignore it that XP does weird things to Excel. But I want to know why this
happened in the first place.
None of the other account numbers I am putting on the SS in another column
are doing this, only the ones that were input by another person( I think this
SS was originally done in Access, but why the weird numbers). Any idea on
why this happened, I do not want to chance it happening to me.
0
raptyrred (4)

Numbers can either be input as numbers (in which case they act as
numbers in calculations), or as Text (in which case they are ignored or
cause errors in calculations).

The most common ways to create "text" numbers are to have the input
cells preformatted as Text, to prefix the number with an apostrophe, or
to paste from an outside source (such as a web page or Access) that
fools XL into treating the number as text.

Your  1234567895+E2 is Scientific notation for 1234567895 x 10^2.

Note that XL numbers can only have 15 digits of precision, so if you
need an account number with 16 or more digits it MUST be input as Text
or you'll lose the last digits.

In article <2EC5FE2E-108B-40A9-BAF0-69C378192C3F@microsoft.com>,
 raptyrred <raptyrred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Hi
> I am using a spreadsheet in Excel 2002 on Windows XP, for some reason the
> account numbers (which someone input, along with addresses) have a little
> green mark in the corner of the cell. I thought it was to show that there is
> a comment, but it is not. When you click on the cell, a little warning sign
> shows, saying ERROR - number in this cell formatted as text or preceded by an
> apostrophe. When I click on the arrow by the warning sign, it says
> Number stored as text
> Convert to number
> Ignore error
> Edit in formula bar
> Error checking options
> Show formula in audinting toolbar
>
> Now I looked at the cell, and it has no apostrophe, so I went up to Format,
> Cells, Number but that had absolutely no effect when I said to convert the
> cells to number format. So I click on Convert to number and what I got was
> something like this - 1234567895+E2. What is going on, I was told to just
> ignore it that XP does weird things to Excel. But I want to know why this
> happened in the first place.
> None of the other account numbers I am putting on the SS in another column
> are doing this, only the ones that were input by another person( I think this
> SS was originally done in Access, but why the weird numbers). Any idea on
> why this happened, I do not want to chance it happening to me.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
8/25/2004 2:50:02 AM
So then if you add two 15 digit numbers together you will get an answer in
that scientific notation. How would you go about expanding the amount of
digits that Excel will allow.

"JE McGimpsey" wrote:

> Numbers can either be input as numbers (in which case they act as
> numbers in calculations), or as Text (in which case they are ignored or
> cause errors in calculations).
>
> The most common ways to create "text" numbers are to have the input
> cells preformatted as Text, to prefix the number with an apostrophe, or
> to paste from an outside source (such as a web page or Access) that
> fools XL into treating the number as text.
>
> Your  1234567895+E2 is Scientific notation for 1234567895 x 10^2.
>
> Note that XL numbers can only have 15 digits of precision, so if you
> need an account number with 16 or more digits it MUST be input as Text
> or you'll lose the last digits.
>

> In article <2EC5FE2E-108B-40A9-BAF0-69C378192C3F@microsoft.com>,
>  raptyrred <raptyrred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > I am using a spreadsheet in Excel 2002 on Windows XP, for some reason the
> > account numbers (which someone input, along with addresses) have a little
> > green mark in the corner of the cell. I thought it was to show that there is
> > a comment, but it is not. When you click on the cell, a little warning sign
> > shows, saying ERROR - number in this cell formatted as text or preceded by an
> > apostrophe. When I click on the arrow by the warning sign, it says
> > Number stored as text
> > Convert to number
> > Ignore error
> > Edit in formula bar
> > Error checking options
> > Show formula in audinting toolbar
> >
> > Now I looked at the cell, and it has no apostrophe, so I went up to Format,
> > Cells, Number but that had absolutely no effect when I said to convert the
> > cells to number format. So I click on Convert to number and what I got was
> > something like this - 1234567895+E2. What is going on, I was told to just
> > ignore it that XP does weird things to Excel. But I want to know why this
> > happened in the first place.
> > None of the other account numbers I am putting on the SS in another column
> > are doing this, only the ones that were input by another person( I think this
> > SS was originally done in Access, but why the weird numbers). Any idea on
> > why this happened, I do not want to chance it happening to me.

0
raptyrred (4)
8/27/2004 12:19:06 AM
No. The number of digits in the number and scientific notation aren't
linked. XL's display engine will default to scientific notation when the
number of input digits is too large do be displayed in the cell.

You can have a number with 1 digit in scientific notation, e.g.:

    5       ===>  5E+00

    50      ===>  5E+01

    500,000,000,000,000,000,000 ==>  5E+20

    0.05    ===>  5E-02

likewise you can format a cell to show 20 digits:

    Format/Cells/Number/Custom  00,000,000,000,000,000,000

but only 15 digits of precision will be retained:

    12,345,678,901,234,567,890 ===> 12,345,678,901,234,500,000

There are a couple of add-ins that claim to expand XL's precision up to
200 digits (do a Google search), but I've never used one.

In article <B485BBD5-92BA-4F96-8F6B-CF676D938639@microsoft.com>,
 raptyrred <raptyrred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> So then if you add two 15 digit numbers together you will get an answer in
> that scientific notation. How would you go about expanding the amount of
> digits that Excel will allow.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)

Looking for total
Greetings, I have a very large range of numbers. What I am looking for is the multiple combination of values to give me the preestablished sum of "x". Is there a method or tool that can help this process? Thanks in advance! -Drew Hi, A spreadsheet was posted here a few months ago that does what you're looking for I think - if you send me your email address, I'll send it to you. (remove NOSPAM) jreese51NOSPAM@bellsouth.net jeff >-----Original Message----- >Greetings, > >I have a very large range of numbers. What I am looking >for is the multiple comb...

How do I produce a number in parentheses?
I'm trying to produce a series of percentage numbers in parentheses, like this, (29.5%). But Excel forces a negative format value on it. How can I produce what I want? For display purposes, if you type 29.5 in a cell, you can format it Custom with "("#.#"%)" It will show as (29.5%) but the actual value will be 29.5 Vaya con Dios, Chuck CABGx3 "Carter Devereaux" <CarterDevereaux@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:85410840-4822-4E5B-AA0E-F5B365B90809@microsoft.com... > I'm trying to produce a series of percentage numbers in p...

Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92
There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was rejected. Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92 I had exchange 2003 on 2000 server, installed 2008 server and E2k7, moved the mailboxes. So far 3 users attempting a POP3 connection have received this error above. I have setup a new mailbox/user and dont get this error. I then deleted one of the 3 problematic user + mailbox, added a new user with same username + mailbo...

How do I stop last number from changing to a 0 in excel
I have a worksheet that has one column that has account numbers. If I enter 16 or more digits the last numbers change to a 0. I have set, cell format to numbers with no decimals. Try setting cell format to text before entering or use an apostrophe then enter the number HTH Regards, Howard "dan12" <dan12@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:426335E4-F08B-4C23-B6E2-EB45F36101F5@microsoft.com... >I have a worksheet that has one column that has account numbers. If I enter > 16 or more digits the last numbers change to a 0. I have set, cell format > to &...

how i can make the numbers
hi i am fatih fistly sorry my english is not good my trouble is haw can i will write the number of the contribution for example 1.000.000.000 =yaziyla(b42) (one milyar) and tahan my office version is turkish version thank you so your company will interesting my problem Fatih, If I understand you correctly, you want a formula to translate numbers to words (in Turkish). Laurent Longre has a language version of an function which offers this capability. It is at http://longre.free.fr/english/ I don't know if it supports Turkish, but if not, send me the Turkish words for all...

Adding unknow text to numbers formatting
I am trying to format a column with a combination of numbers and letter (specifically 0000-00-000-0000XX) and I have everything down except ho to add the XX to the format when I don't know what XX will be. Is ther a "any alpha in this postion" command -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com scottatrobins wrote: > I am trying to format a column with a combination of numbers and > letters (specifically 0000-00-000-0000XX) and I have everything down > except how to add the XX to the format when I don't know what XX will > be. Is there a "any alpha i...

Intelligent Message Filter behaves very odd
I have the IMF that comes with Exchange 2003 sp2 installed and working very well, (I never had IMF v1 installed ) the only issue I have is when I set up my custom thresholds and actions under "Gateway blocking configuration" they are changed by it self to defaults the next day and I have to be change them back to my desire settings everyday. Does someone know how to fix this? or is there any registry key or setting in AD where to set this up? I've read the IMF guide but I found nothing about this. I have 2 exchange back-end servers and 1 front-end server, I also have tried ...

Convert time stored as decimalised number to time format
Hello How can I convert 3.5 hours to 3:30:00? -- Emma Emma A1/24 and formate as time Mike Rogers "Emma" wrote: > Hello > How can I convert 3.5 hours to 3:30:00? > -- > Emma ...

Looking for guidance on integrating large assembler content into VC project.
I have a quite large block of assembler code, 50 subroutines accessed via just a couple of top level subs. I want to access these top level subs from my VC7 project. I have looked at the __asm inline assembler option but can't see how I can author the subs properly. Should I be using MASM ? Could somebody please advise? "Jo" <usenet_AT_tecno.demon.co.uk@JUNKBLOCK.COM> wrote in message news:a19emvshanokh7qb19ir13o13thlotk0p0@4ax.com... > I have a quite large block of assembler code, 50 subroutines accessed > via just a couple of top level subs. I want to access the...

Graph: number of curves
What is the maximum number of curves (series) in a graph ? A.B. In article <79axf.14930$W03.497734@news20.bellglobal.com>, abacga@sympatico.ca says... > What is the maximum number of curves (series) in a graph ? > > A.B. > > > Check XL help for 'Excel specifications and limits' (w/o the quotes). It contains a section on 'Charting specifications' -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions Hi, Charting limits are, Data series in one chart 255. Data p...

Excel XP Upgrade (Text numbers)
My organization recently upgraded to Office XP. Now one of my very important excel files have had two columns of numbers apparently changing to text numbers. When I follow the recommendation to change those numbers back to a number value some hidden formulas give back a different value in the hidden cells. Should this reported error be ignored? I would really like to know what is going on to have confidence in my spreadsheet again. I am not sure it is an error except for the numbers turning into text. However in your original sheet you might have had a number format showing for in...

possible to check a cell for both even number and positive number.....
I have found a workable formula to check for even numbers but I am not being sucessful in having it also check for positive numbers..... I am using the following data verification statment to check for even numbers and it works fine..... =MOD(G17,2)=0 problem is that the number they are supposed to enter has to be a positive number because negative numbers are invalid data in this application. Any help would be appreciated. Hi Try this one. =IF(AND(MOD(G17,2)=0,G17>0),"True","") HTH John "M G Henry" <mr_mikehenry007@hotmail.com> wrote in message new...

Maintain the same number in a spreadsheet
I use a spreadsheet to calculate my contract price for a bid. I would like to maintain the same price amount with a formula that would automatically adjust the percentage of profit up or down when a direct cost in the spreadsheet amount is changed. For example; if I have a bid price of $1000 with a 10% profit ($100)and the price of an item that is part of the direct cost goes from $50 to $60 the percentage woud autamatically adjust my profit from 10% to 9%, decreasing my profit to $90, accounting for the additional $10 of direct cost, but the bid price would remain at $1000. On Mon, 29 Mar 201...

Conditional Format
Hi, I want to assign a number to a certain conditional format. When the condition is true it should put a 1 in the cell and when the condition is false a zero or nothing should be assigned. Anyone? I seem to make the wrong code all the time. Thanks, Johanna Use the same test that the CF uses, and return 1 for TRUE and "" for FALSE. -- HTH Bob (there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in my addy) "Jootje" <Jootje@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CB0B3201-2DD9-466A-94FF-108691C77FAF@microsoft.com... > Hi, > >...

Item number/location code does not exist in inventory error
I'm using eConnect to do an SOP transaction and it has been working for months but with a new customer and a new site I'm getting an error. The error is: "Item number/location code does not exist in inventory". The same transactions are still working with other customers on other sites so it seems like it must be a set up issue in GP. The customer and site look like they're configured the same as the ones that work so I'm stumped. Does anyone know what the issue might be? Thanks, Matt Have you confirmed that the item number has been assigned to the new sit...

starting page number
Can anyone tell me how to change the starting page number in Pub 2002? In earlier versions it's straight forward, but in 02 I can't work it out with help or the manual. I've sorted it out thanks - insert section ...

Auto Numbering 09-13-05
I would like to create an auto number field to be used as a customer number. I would have thought this would be a common requirement. Is this possible. thanks in advance Todd this is a common issue and the way to achieve it is to use post callout code which finds the last number used and then calls back into the crm application layer to update the record. here is some example code for crm 1.2 http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnmbscrm1_2/html/mbs_crmpostcalloutsv1d2.asp "Tango" <Tango@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:89FA...

if the numbers in sequence
Hi All, I have a 7 cells in a row like A1,A2,A3...A7. Each cell contains numbers from 1 to 13. Is there any way to make a formula to calculate if there is any sequence of 5 numbers. example if A1=5,A2=7,A3=8,A4=9,A5=10,A6=3,A7=4 not sequence A1=6,A2=7,A3=8,A4=9,A5=10,A6=3,A7=4 Try this =3DIF(AND(A2>A1,(A2:A5)-(A1:A4)=3D1),"Sequence","Not Sequence") Not just enter, Use Ctrl + Shift + Enter On Nov 15, 1:06=A0pm, baha <bah...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi All, > I have a 7 cells in a row like A1,A2,A3...A7. Each cell contains > numbers f...

adding a zero in front of number
how do you add a zero in front of other numbers, I am using item numbers and most start with zero, just shows whole numbers when I enter. example 095421 when I enter shows 95421. help. Hi When the number must remain numeric data, then format the cell as Custom "00000" (the number of 0's determines to which length is the entry padded). When you want the number to be converted to string, then use the formula (in my example the original number resides in cell A1) =TEXT(A1,"00000") (again, the number of 0's in format string determines the length of padding) Arvi ...

"tear-away" tabs at bottom for phone number
Anyone know how? Most all versions of Publisher have tear-away flyers. File, New, Publications for Print, Flyers, scroll down to Announcement Flyers. In 2007 you will have to sort through the flyers, but they are there. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "CKW27" <CKW27@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EC52F227-BD97-4FD2-BCE9-645275CC5196@microsoft.com... > Anyone know how? ...

Default location to look for file attachments
Hello, I have a question regarding locating files to attach to e- mails in Outlook. I use Word as my e-mail editor. When I go to insert a file attachment into an e-mail I'm writing, the computer looks in my My Documents folder by default. However, when I'm using Word to create a regular document, the default file location is a folder I've specified called MYDOCS (which is backed up by a MS-DOS batch file). Is there a way that I can set Outlook (or Word) to look in the MYDOCS folder by default when I go to attach a file to an e-mail I'm editing in Word? Any help wo...

find duplicate numbers in a column?
Hi! i have a spreadsheet that is accessed by 12 different users all day. in column A we enter stock numbers. Is there a way to have Excel let me know if there are ever duplicate stock numbers entered? i can insert new columns to do this...just not sure what formulas i would use to do that?? any help is greatlly appreciated!! thanks in advance! -- JENNYC ------------------------------------------------------------------------ JENNYC's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=19579 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=481999 ...

Can I calculate negative numbers to = zero in excel?
When I do an autosum some of the numbers are equally negative numbers. But I want them to just SHOW zero instead. Is this possible? You can use the round function: =round(your number,0) "HeyTriciaC" wrote: > When I do an autosum some of the numbers are equally negative numbers. But I > want them to just SHOW zero instead. Is this possible? In a new column run something like =IF(a1<0,0,a1) Once the first cell is done, highlight it and hold down the shift key and tap down arrow or page down keys then hit control d (copys down). "HeyTriciaC" wrote: >...

How do I convert nnnnnnnnnn to nnn nnn nnnn (Telephone numbers)?
Using Win XP, Excel 2003. I have hundreds of telephone numbers (exported from Outlook) in a worksheet column, some local, some international, all formatted as "General" 1) A formula or function to convert the following?: nnn nnn nnnn from nnnnnnnnnn also nnn nnn nnn nnnn from nnnnnnnnnnnnn also nn nnn nnn nnnn from nnnnnnnnnnnn etc, etc In essence each telephone number is to be converted to a groups of numbers (with a space between each group) with the last group contains 4 digits, with preceding groups (upto four) containing 3 digits and the first group either 1,2 or 3 digits.-...

many numbers in one cell separated by hyphen.
Many numbers in one cell separated by hyphen. How to put them in separate rows of one column? one way: Choose Data/Text to Columns. Select the Delimited radio button and choose Next. Enter a hyphen in the "Other" field, then click Finish. In article <CA641783-057C-4AC2-BFD3-34BDD11B80A1@microsoft.com>, "baju" <baju@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Many numbers in one cell separated by hyphen. How to put them in separate > rows of one column? I would say the quickest way is to select the column and do Data > Text to Columns, using &quo...