Odd Excel Formula Problem

I am building a spreadsheet tool that pulls data from either another sheet or
another workbook.  In both cases, when I write my formulas, the seem to work
initially, but at some point something happens and instead of displaying the
result of the formula, they display the formula as text.

For example:

In Cell A1 I type =if($A$2=$A$3,1,0) initially it display's my desired
result ("0").  Then, if I go in and try to unlock the cells to copy down and
across the formula result changes to "=if($A$2=$A$3,1,0)"

I have never seen this error and can't figure out why it's happening.  I
tried reformatting and settings and those don't seem to be the problem.

Any thoughts?

After reformatting the cells as General you should open each for editing.
Or  Delete the text, format the cells and recopy the formulas
best wishes

--
Bernard Liengme
http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme

"Questions" <Questions@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am building a spreadsheet tool that pulls data from either another sheet
> or
> another workbook.  In both cases, when I write my formulas, the seem to
> work
> initially, but at some point something happens and instead of displaying
> the
> result of the formula, they display the formula as text.
>
> For example:
>
> In Cell A1 I type =if($A$2=$A$3,1,0) initially it display's my desired
> result ("0").  Then, if I go in and try to unlock the cells to copy down
> and
> across the formula result changes to "=if($A$2=$A$3,1,0)"
>
> I have never seen this error and can't figure out why it's happening.  I
> tried reformatting and settings and those don't seem to be the problem.
>
> Any thoughts?

0
Bernard

Question -Problem

Excel button problem

Excel 97 #9

AD Sync problem

WCF Client serialization problem

Decimal To Fraction Odds
For betting purposes I need to convert decimal odds to fractional odds. Listed below are the common values. Decimal Fraction 1.10 1/10 1.20 1/5 1.30 3/10 1.40 2/5 and so on, up to 51.00 5/1 101.00 100/1 Would this be best handled with a lookup function? With betting the fractions are not always true fractions such as, 3.90 29/10 5.50 9/2 Hi, I don't understand something like 3.90 = 29/10 But a lookup table would probably be best because if you apply ?/10 fraction format to the above Excel displays 39/10. -- If this helps, please click the Yes button Cheers, Shane Devenshire ...

New to excel

Looking for Excel Help

Count If Formula #4

Offline Synchronization Problem #2

message delivery problems

learning Excel #3

Formula for Game Spreadsheet
I am currenly playing a game of Ars Magica. I am using a spreadsheet to compute the info for my character. I am having a probllem with the casting total for spells related to a paticular character. The Formula is as follows : =IF(H13="","--",IF(J13="",INDIRECT(H13),MIN(INDIRECT(H13),INDIRECT(LEFT(J13,2)),INDIRECT(RIGHT(J13,2))))+IF(K13="",INDIRECT(I13),MIN(INDIRECT(I13),INDIRECT(LEFT(K13,2)),INDIRECT(RIGHT(K13,2))))+Sta+IF(N13="",0,$H$2)) I am trying to compute the casting total for the spells castable by this character. The total for the ...

Setting a dynamic range in a formula

Having problem with spoofing email

Problem with Range

outlook 97 and express email problems

formula or VBA
I need to search through a column checking condtions. If the conditions are met, then I want to enter the corresponding value in the column next to it into a different cell. Basically, I want to search column A and, if the conditions are met, put the value in B into C. Would this be easier via formula or code? And maybe some starting suggestions would be nice if you don't mind. -- Thanks, Jim in a formula in col b =if(cond,a1,"") using vba for each c in range("a1:a100") if cond then c.offset(0,1)=c next -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "...