Newbie question Pulling data from one sheet to another based on

Okay,
Forgive me ahead of time, I really don't know much about Excel. I can
work with templates and create simple formulas but alot of what I read
here comes across as "Excelspeak" to me.

Here is what I want to do:

I have a price list sheet created. This price list has cells labled by
name and then "duration", basically for every item there are four
prices, based on duration of a rental or sale. I want to create a quote
program that will pull data from the price list based on the quantities
entered in the quote program.

For example
Price list is "System A, description, $1, $7, $14, $100"
Each of these items divided by commas is a different cell so my plan is
to basically duplicate the price list on another sheet with no prices
displayed but when I ented a number into the respective column for each
duration the program pulls the base data and multiplies it by the number
entered and only displays this number. Then of course there are sums and
sales taxes etc but I think I can do that already.

Sorry, I know I'm not decribing this accurately but I hope you get the
gist of what I am trying to do. I have tried to get "help" within Excel
but, frankly I just don;t follow most of what is said.

Help  :confused:

--
Tony Canevaro
Tony Canevaro's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28292

Try this, Tony:
http://www.officearticles.com/tutorials/order_form_or_invoice_form_in_microsoft_excel.htm
You'll just happen to have more Price columns. :)
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Tony Canevaro" <Tony.Canevaro.1xdtef_1130115915.092@excelforum-nospam.com>
wrote in message

> Okay,
> Forgive me ahead of time, I really don't know much about Excel. I can
> work with templates and create simple formulas but alot of what I read
> here comes across as "Excelspeak" to me.
>
> Here is what I want to do:
>
> I have a price list sheet created. This price list has cells labled by
> name and then "duration", basically for every item there are four
> prices, based on duration of a rental or sale. I want to create a quote
> program that will pull data from the price list based on the quantities
> entered in the quote program.
>
> For example
> Price list is "System A, description, $1, $7, $14, $100"
> Each of these items divided by commas is a different cell so my plan is
> to basically duplicate the price list on another sheet with no prices
> displayed but when I ented a number into the respective column for each
> duration the program pulls the base data and multiplies it by the number
> entered and only displays this number. Then of course there are sums and
> sales taxes etc but I think I can do that already.
>
> Sorry, I know I'm not decribing this accurately but I hope you get the
> gist of what I am trying to do. I have tried to get "help" within Excel
> but, frankly I just don;t follow most of what is said.
>
> Help  :confused:
>

> --
> Tony Canevaro
> Tony Canevaro's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28292
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=478640

0
ng1 (1444)
10/24/2005 1:24:22 AM
Anne,
That is very helpful, in general thank you.

The problem is that each part number has four prices. So qty doesn't
work in this instance. What I wanted to do was be able to enter a
number into the appropriate column & cell (i.e. part#,daily rate) and
have that number multiplied by the price already entered into the price
sheet in the same work book.

I don't know if this makes sense or not. Basically I have a price list
and now I would like a nearly identical sheet that references the
prices list for certain cells. I know this can be done and probably
isn't that hard...I just don't have the lingo for this stuff yet.

--
Tony Canevaro
Tony Canevaro's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28292
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=478640

why won;t this : =('Price List'!$F$4)*F4
work?

This really what I am trying to do

--
Tony Canevaro
Tony Canevaro's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28292
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=478640

How are you designating the 4 different prices? You probably need something
like this, then:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/lookups.htm
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Tony Canevaro" <Tony.Canevaro.1xe1qc_1130126711.8411@excelforum-nospam.com>
wrote in message

> Anne,
> That is very helpful, in general thank you.
>
> The problem is that each part number has four prices. So qty doesn't
> work in this instance. What I wanted to do was be able to enter a
> number into the appropriate column & cell (i.e. part#,daily rate) and
> have that number multiplied by the price already entered into the price
> sheet in the same work book.
>
> I don't know if this makes sense or not. Basically I have a price list
> and now I would like a nearly identical sheet that references the
> prices list for certain cells. I know this can be done and probably
> isn't that hard...I just don't have the lingo for this stuff yet.
>

> --
> Tony Canevaro
> Tony Canevaro's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28292
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=478640

0
ng1 (1444)
10/24/2005 4:53:51 AM
I think my core problem may be that I am trying to use the data entered
into a field to affect and display data in that same field.
I think I will have to create a "dummy" price list with seperate labels
for each type of price for each part number.

??????????

--
Tony Canevaro
Tony Canevaro's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28292
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=478640

Hi Tony

Let's say your pricelist is on Sheet1. Row 1 contains the headings as you
describe and A2:F2 contains the data, or more correctly A2:F100 assuming you
have 99 items listed.

On your quote sheet, Sheet2, you enter in cell A2 the item name, and in B2
the time period, 1 to 4.
To pick up the other information, then use Vlookup formulae
If you want description to appear in C2 then in C2
=VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet1!$A$1:$A$100,2,0)
To pick up the price for the relevant time period, in column D then in D2
=VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet1!$A$1:$A$100,B2+2,0)
So, if you put a 1 in B2 you would get prices from Column C on Sheet1, if
you put 4 in B2, you would get prices from column F.

Change ranges to suit.
Note, if your sheet names are not sheet1 sheet2 etc, and have spaces in the
names, then you must enclose the sheet names in single quotes
'My Pricelist'!$A$1:$A$100

Regards

Roger Govier

Tony Canevaro wrote:
> Okay,
> Forgive me ahead of time, I really don't know much about Excel. I can
> work with templates and create simple formulas but alot of what I read
> here comes across as "Excelspeak" to me.
>
> Here is what I want to do:
>
> I have a price list sheet created. This price list has cells labled by
> name and then "duration", basically for every item there are four
> prices, based on duration of a rental or sale. I want to create a quote
> program that will pull data from the price list based on the quantities
> entered in the quote program.
>
> For example
> Price list is "System A, description, $1, $7, $14, $100"
> Each of these items divided by commas is a different cell so my plan is
> to basically duplicate the price list on another sheet with no prices
> displayed but when I ented a number into the respective column for each
> duration the program pulls the base data and multiplies it by the number
> entered and only displays this number. Then of course there are sums and
> sales taxes etc but I think I can do that already.
>
> Sorry, I know I'm not decribing this accurately but I hope you get the
> gist of what I am trying to do. I have tried to get "help" within Excel
> but, frankly I just don;t follow most of what is said.
>
> Help  :confused:

0
roger1272 (620)
10/24/2005 10:38:34 AM
I feel like I am so close.

Thanks for all of you help so far.
Roger, I feel like that should work...but I can't seem to get it right.

I uploaded a copy of the file I am trying to work with.
Is there something fundamentally wrong with this pricelist that would
cause me to have problems?

If anyone is willing to try and tackle this Iwould be forever in debt.

http://home.armourarchive.org/members/ewan/Sample%20XLS/

--

"Tony Canevaro" wrote:
> .. (http://home.armourarchive.org/members/ewan/Sample%20XLS/)

As responded in your other post in .misc ...

Based on your actual set-up, Tony
here's a sample implementation you might like:
http://www.savefile.com/files/6916100
QuoteProgram_v2_TonyCanevaro_misc.xls

In sheet: Quote
------------------
Col A: Part Number (Select from DV droplist)

Col B: Description (Auto-retrieved, toplines only [for multi-line cases])
Placed in B3, copied down
=IF(A3="","",INDEX('Price List'!B:B,MATCH(A3,'Price List'!A:A,0)))

Col C: Rate (Select from DV droplist)

Col D: Quote (Auto-retrieved)
Placed in D3, copied down:
=IF(OR(A3="",C3=""),"",HLOOKUP(C3,'Price List'!$F$3:$I$100,MATCH(A3,'Price
List'!$A$3:$A$100,0),0))

Adjust the ranges to suit
----------

Defined names (PartNum, Rate) used in DV droplists
(names created via Insert>Name>Define)
---------------
PartNum: =OFFSET(Index!$A$1,,,COUNTA(Index!$A:$A))
Rate: =Index!$B$1:$B$4

DV droplists are created in "Quote" via:
Data > Validation (Allow: List, Source: =PartNum (for e.g.))
--
Rgds
Max

demechanik (4694)
10/25/2005 2:01:30 AM
Max,

If you are married, please tell your wife that you are a God.  :)

I sooooo need to take a course on Excel, there is so much you can do
with it, when you know how.

--
Tony Canevaro
Tony Canevaro's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28292
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=478640

Wow, sooo close.

I added a Qty column and then a Price column. Then I used the formula
=(E3*D3) copied down.

Works great except for the cells that have no data, I get a #Value
error. As sson as there is data in the field it all works well enough
for my purpose but how can I hide, or fix this?

--
Tony Canevaro
Tony Canevaro's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28292
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=478640

Glad you liked it !
> ... please tell your ... that you are a ...
... only at the immeasurable risk of feeling very mortal ! <g>
--
Rgds
Max
Singapore, GMT+8
xdemechanik
http://savefile.com/projects/236895

demechanik (4694)
10/25/2005 3:23:05 AM
=if(iserror(e3*d3),"",e3*d3)
or
if(or(isblank(e3),isblank(d3)),"",e3*d3)
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Tony Canevaro" <Tony.Canevaro.1xfweb_1130213112.422@excelforum-nospam.com>
wrote in message

> Wow, sooo close.
>
> I added a Qty column and then a Price column. Then I used the formula
> =(E3*D3) copied down.
>
> Works great except for the cells that have no data, I get a #Value
> error. As sson as there is data in the field it all works well enough
> for my purpose but how can I hide, or fix this?
>

> --
> Tony Canevaro
> Tony Canevaro's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28292
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=478640

0
ng1 (1444)
10/25/2005 4:20:53 AM
Another alternative (along the same lines as the error trap used in col D in
the sample's set-up) with "Qty" input in E3 down and "Price" to be
calculated in F3 down ..

Put in F3, copy down: =IF(OR(D3="",E3=""),"",E3*D3)

Or, we could amend the 1st part of the formula in col D
to return zeros instead of blanks: ""
(the null string "" is what causes the downstream error #VALUE! in col F)

i.e. use in D3, copied down: =IF(OR(A3="",C3=""),0, ...
instead of: =IF(OR(A3="",C3=""),"", ...

Then to calc the price, just use in F3, copied down: =E3*D3

New lines w/o data will then simply show up as zeros in cols D & F

And if desired, for a cleaner look,
we could suppress the display of zeros in the sheet via clicking:
Tools > Options > View tab > Uncheck "Zero values" > OK
--
Rgds
Max
Singapore, GMT+8
xdemechanik
http://savefile.com/projects/236895

demechanik (4694)
10/25/2005 5:29:08 AM
Anne and Max the God and Goddess of Excel!

Seriously, thanks very much both of you. I learned a fair bit.

Still not "Why" you do the crazy stuff you you do but a bit of how.

--
Tony Canevaro
Tony Canevaro's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28292
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=478640

You're welcome, Tony !
--
Rgds
Max
Singapore, GMT+8
xdemechanik
http://savefile.com/projects/236895

demechanik (4694)
10/25/2005 10:43:28 AM
Anne imagines self in long flowing white with gold accessories, her Excel
tiara set slightly off-center atop her tresses, which are being blown gently
by the wind...then wakes up. :)
You're welcome, Tony!
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Tony Canevaro" <Tony.Canevaro.1xg4qm_1130224157.0114@excelforum-nospam.com>
wrote in message

> Anne and Max the God and Goddess of Excel!
>
> Seriously, thanks very much both of you. I learned a fair bit.
>
> Still not "Why" you do the crazy stuff you you do but a bit of how.
>

> --
> Tony Canevaro
> Tony Canevaro's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28292
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=478640

0
ng1 (1444)

I need a macro to find cut and paste data to new cell #2
I have data that I have imported to excel which I need to reformat to be able to create a pivot table. The data is in journal form with the comment sitting in column D above the journal number. I need a macro to find cut and paste the comments from column D to column C. The comments are not all the same but do contain a common word such as "To" and as the journals are not all the same size the comment does not appear at regular intervals. Any help appreciated as I am new to VBA. ...

splitting one column into two columns ... not what you think
i have fixed column widths that can't be changed; nor can any other columns be added to the worksheet ... i've got data in one column that represents "results" ... within the results column though, i need two columns (starting directly below the "results" cell, one that reads "in range" and that other that reads "out of range" ... so: if i'm on [column a] [cell 1] i want: "results" ... in [column a] [cell 2] i want: "in range" AND "out of range" with a line down the middle. "text to column" is ...

OL2003 notifies of new mail, takes 5+ min to pull in
Running XP, Office 2003 on 3 ghz pc, 1 gb ram. We do not have any Microsoft product on the back end, just on the desktop. Email is configured as pop mail. OL notifies me with sound and envelope that there is new mail, it takes the email 5 minutes or longer to be displayed. Pressing Send/Receive does not pull it in. My Eudora client is instantaneous, so it is not a network issue, this is strictly OL ?? ...

how do you place a spreadsheet(s) inside another spreadsheet
I am trying to setup a workbook with spreadsheets that contain other spreadsheets. Does excel allow this? if yes, how can I do it. Hi not 100% sure what you're after here ... a workbook can contain multiple worksheets. Each worksheet contains a grid of cells 256 columns wide & 65536 rows deep. This basic structure of excel can not be altered. Please post back with additional details on what you're trying to achieve and we might be able to suggest a solution. Cheers JulieD "ucastores" <ucastores@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DDE44C32-...

Passing data from one form to another

Ho to make one field required based on critera of another field?
I'm creating a form and need to make the "comments" field required if the "code" field is =>20. I appreciate suggestions! Deadline Monster is lurking! User enters the job processing endcode value (numeric) into the "code" field. If the endcode is =>20, comments are required. (P.S. I don't know VB) Thanks! Star You would put your validation code in the Form's BeforeUpdate event. If Me.EndCode >19 Then If Len(Me.Comments & "") = 0 Then MsgBox "Comments are required" Cancel = True End If End If ...

Insert an autofiltered range into another tab
I'm am having an issue when trying to insert a range from an autofilter on one sheet to another. The range has to be inserted above rows that have data in them. When I use the insert.shift:xldown, it only moves down the first column. TIA, Sub B_CreateTabs() Dim rngE As Range Dim lngLastRow As Long Dim mgrval, lobval, shtval As String mgrval = "myself" lobval = "dept" shtval = mgrval & "-" & lobval Windows("Mybook.xls").Activate Sheets(shtval).Select Sheets(shtval).Copy After:=Workbooks("Mybook.xls&quo...

How do I set the number format to Base 12?
I would like to change the number format on my spreadsheet from Base 10 to Base 12, eg. 12 bottles makes up 1 case. Therefore, if I were adding up three different cells 9 bottles + 11 bottles + 6 bottles, my result should be 2 cases 2 bottles if possible 2.2 in a case column. See http://www.cpearson.com/excel/fractional.htm for details. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Andrew Moore" <AndrewMoore@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:893CABE9-37D7-4E6B-8A7E-A5E679C8C824@microsoft.com... >...

Listbox questions
If I add like 20 items to my userform's listbox control, how can I determine if a user selects or double clicks on item 10?? I'm just trying to figure out which event handles when an item is selected or double clicked. Thank you Assuming your listbox is ListBox1, if you use: Private Sub ListBox1_Click() MsgBox "You Selected" & Me.ListBox1.Value End Sub The above code would display a message box that tells you what selection you made, if the ListBox1 is not a multiselect type. "Robert Crandal" <nobody@gmail.com> wrote in messag...

Help ! formatting data to text

Assign values for one column to another.
Hi I have in column T certain numbers and texts that that I require to assign a value to as below, in the adjacent column. Again any pointers would be much appreciated. Kind Regards Celticshadow T U 1 1 2 2 3 3 4 4 5 5 6 6 7 7 8 8 9 9 0 10 F 10 UR 10 U 10 R 10 S 10 L 10 P 10 PU 10 BD 10 D 10 Well, imagine that two-column table occupies cells Y1:Z20. Put this formula in U1: =3DVLOOKUP(T1,Y$1,Z$20,2,0) and copy down. Hope this helps. Pete On Oct 14, 4:26=A0pm, Celticshadow <Celticsha...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi > >...

Multiple Account Download from One Financial Instituition
Hi, I have at one brokerage mutliple accounts (individual, joint, 401K, roll-over etc). In Money they are all separate accounts. When I connect with the brokerage I am only able to connect to one type of account (in this case retirement). How can I download multiple accounts from a brokerage (when not all have the same URL). Please email me your reply. Thanks Sandeep ...

Pulling counts out of query results
I have a query that has one field Type which is set to Count The query results are used in a report. The report has the fields in the detail section as TYPE and CountOfType (1 line only in the detail section) The report looks like this when displayed AS 28 AV 17 OR 5 I need to be able to get the individual AS No (28) and add it to another number elswhere in the report. How can I do this? I have tried using a textbox with an if function (if [type]="AS",CountOfType,0 but that did not work. Any help appreciated. Ray I think you will need to do it in the query. But try addi...

force excel to run in only one process excel.exe
force excel to run in only one process excel.exe, excel seems to want to make multiple excel.exe loaded into memory which causes mysheet.copy to fail so i have to close out the xls, kill all running excel.exe, then run the xls again and the macro works. i only have to do this when i am actively debugging a lot. if i just run my macro w/o opening the vba debugger, i can run it as much as i want, but if i run with break points it crashes a lot because of multiple excel.exe loaded into memory. perhaps there is a way i can force excel to only load one excel.exe? Daniel, Are you using Automatio...

Cells Fill Automatically on Another Workbook
I've created what we'll call a seed worksheet to be used over and over for different clients. I have linked its cells to another workbook. As the originating seed worksheet directs its cell data to a specific cell on another workbook, how can I accomplish the workbook data not being overwritten but the new incoming data default to the next unused cell in the column? i.e. If the original seed worksheet cell B1 links to the worksheet cell A1, I would like the next instance of creating a new customer and his B1 information on his use of the seed worksheet to populate onto th...

how do i recover data in publisher
i have been entering addresses to set up a mail merge. i cllicked the "ok" button in the window and lost all data . can i recover it Look in a folder in My Documents named "My Data Sources". Publisher data is saved as .mdb(Access) file. Did you try selecting "Edit Address List" in the Mailings and Catalog menu (Tools)? -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "dee" <dee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:690430F1-36DE-47EE-8B7D-DD12A096C075@microsoft.com... >i have been entering addresses to set up a mail merge. i cllicked ...

2 Questions
Hi I run Win 2K with Excel 2K Question 1 I have some VB code in the "Sheet 1" module of my excel file. The code is as follows: Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Excel.Range) If Target.Column <> 12 Then Exit Sub On Error GoTo ErrHandler Application.EnableEvents = False Target.Formula = UCase(Target.Formula) ErrHandler: Application.EnableEvents = True End Sub I would like this code to run automatically whenever the file is opened. (I am assuming that this would remove the enable/disable dialog box option when opening the file) Can someone tell ...

Using subtotals as single data entries
Sorry about the subject--I couldn't figure out how to describe it simply. I have a large file (16,000 records) of amounts billed by roughly 10,000 service providers. A number of these providers have multiple office locations, so each record is unique to a specific office location. In other words, a provider who billed from 3 different office locations will have 3 entries. Each provider has a unique provider ID number, which stays the same regardless of which office location he is billing from. I want to be able to subtotal the amount billed by each provider for all their office locations...

Mock question?
Hi all Not sure if this is the right group, I am happyo to repost to correct group if I know what that is! but in the mean time - here goes I am using NMock2 and I have question. I have the following interface: public interface ITime { int Hour { get; } } and the following weather service: public class WeatherService:ITime { public string GetTodaysWeather() { if (Hour >= 0 && Hour <= 6) { return "Sunny"; } else if (Hour >= 7 &&...