New to excel - need help with a formula

Hi All,

I'm new to Excel ( and to this forum :) ) and so I hope somebody may b
able to help me.

I've got 2 questions....

QUESTION 1
I've got a spreadsheet which takes data from one worksheet and uses i
to calculate data in a second worksheet using the following code
formula:

=IF('4th November 2005'!B19="","nothing here dude",IF(B19<'4th Novembe
2005'!B19,"UP",IF(B19='4th November 2005'!B19,"Same",IF(B19>'4t
November 2005'!B19,"DOWN"))))

The problem is, when I create a new worksheet I have to go through an
update all of the references to the previous worksheet. I know that
can do a "find and replace" (which isn't too much of a pain), but wha
I would like to do is use some kind of a relative (rather tha
absolute) formula.

So instead of saying "go to the worksheet called '4th November 2006'
I could instead say "go to the sheet which preceeds this one"

- hopefully that makes sense! :)

QUESTION 2
In addition to the above formula (which just tells me if a value i
higher, lower, or the same as the previous value) is it possible t
calculate what the difference is and display that in brackets?

_For_example:_
If a result in the spreadsheet for "4th November 2005" = 6 and th
result in the spreadsheet for "4th February 2006" = 1, it would show:
"UP (+5)"

Even better still, could I -also -reference an image (up arrow / dow
arrow) so that I could generate a result which looks a bity like thos
you get in the music charts.

Cheers!
Kess

--
kess
kessa's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3208

I'm not sure about your first question, but in answer to your second
question, you can amend your existing formula as follows:

=IF('4th November 2005'!B19="","nothing here dude",IF(B19<'4th November
2005'!B19,"UP (+"&TEXT('4th November
2005'!B19-B19,"00")&")",IF(B19='4th November
2005'!B19,"Same",IF(B19>'4th November 2005'!B19,"DOWN (-"&TEXT(B19-'4th
November 2005'!B19,"00")&")" ))))

Hope this helps.

Pete

0
pashurst (2576)
3/2/2006 6:53:50 PM
This requires a User Defined Function (UDF). See

    http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/udfs/prevsheet.html

In article <kessa.241yzz_1141320611.0696@excelforum-nospam.com>,
 kessa <kessa.241yzz_1141320611.0696@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote:

> QUESTION 1:
> I've got a spreadsheet which takes data from one worksheet and uses it
> to calculate data in a second worksheet using the following code /
> formula:
>
> =IF('4th November 2005'!B19="","nothing here dude",IF(B19<'4th November
> 2005'!B19,"UP",IF(B19='4th November 2005'!B19,"Same",IF(B19>'4th
> November 2005'!B19,"DOWN"))))
>
> The problem is, when I create a new worksheet I have to go through and
> update all of the references to the previous worksheet. I know that I
> can do a "find and replace" (which isn't too much of a pain), but what
> I would like to do is use some kind of a relative (rather than
> absolute) formula.
>
> So instead of saying "go to the worksheet called '4th November 2006' "
> I could instead say "go to the sheet which preceeds this one"
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
3/2/2006 8:41:46 PM
One way:

    =IF('4th November 2005'!B19="", "nothing here dude", CHOOSE(SIGN(B19
- '4th November 2005'!B19)+2, "UP", "SAME","DOWN") & TEXT(B19 - '4th
November 2005'!B19, " (-0); (+0);;"))

In article <kessa.241yzz_1141320611.0696@excelforum-nospam.com>,
 kessa <kessa.241yzz_1141320611.0696@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote:

> QUESTION 2:
> In addition to the above formula (which just tells me if a value is
> higher, lower, or the same as the previous value) is it possible to
> calculate what the difference is and display that in brackets?
>
> _For_example:_
> If a result in the spreadsheet for "4th November 2005" = 6 and the
> result in the spreadsheet for "4th February 2006" = 1, it would show:
> "UP (+5)"
>
> Even better still, could I -also -reference an image (up arrow / down
> arrow) so that I could generate a result which looks a bity like those
> you get in the music charts.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
3/2/2006 8:50:41 PM
Hi JE McGimpsey & Pete_UK,

Thank both for your help on this!

At the moment I seem to be getting a #value! error when I try either
solution. Any ideas? Do I need to set something else up / change
something?

To help me figure out what's going on, could you please let me know
what the following are/do:

Choose
Sign
Text

Are they functions which Excel will recognise, or are they things that
I need to set a UDF for?

Also, JE McGimpsey - thanks for the info about the UDF. I had no idea
that you could declare your own functions in Excel.... how cool is
that! :)

Cheers
Kessa

--
kessa
kessa's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=32080

Hard to troubleshoot without knowing what the values are in the relevant
cells.

You can get a #VALUE! error if one of the cells contains text (or a
number entered as text). That includes space characters if you "delete"
cells by typing the space bar.

In article <kessa.243c2m_1141384228.015@excelforum-nospam.com>,
 kessa <kessa.243c2m_1141384228.015@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote:

> At the moment I seem to be getting a #value! error when I try either
> solution. Any ideas? Do I need to set something else up / change
> something?
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
3/3/2006 3:23:50 PM
Hi JE McGimpsey,

The "position" column contains the following data:

    "Not in top 100"
    A number (from 1 - 100)
    Empy (whitespace for no value)

In addition, the column for used of calculating the difference (where
the formula is located) contains / writes:

    Up
    Down
    Same
    Nothing here dude (which I use to spot errors, etc)

In all cases, the formatting has been set to "General" as I never know
whether a particular field will contain letters, numbers or both.

Does that help at all?

Cheers
Kessa

--
kessa
kessa's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=32080
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=518338

Hi All,

Can anyone offer a follow up on this.... JE McGimpsey? :)

Thanks
Kessa

--
kessa
kessa's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=32080
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=518338

Both formulae are expecting numbers in B19 and in '4th November
2005'!B19, as one is subtracted from the other - are these your
"position" columns?

If you have text values in them, such as "Not in top 100" or just
spaces, then you will get the #VALUE! error because you cannot perform
arithmetic on text.

The solution is to ensure that you have only numbers or blanks
(completely empty) in these cells.

Pete

0
pashurst (2576)
3/9/2006 11:05:41 AM
Hi Pete_UK,

A quck update - I just managed to get your example to work (thanks!)
and so I'm guessing I had popped it in (or referenced) a field where
one of the cells contained "Not in top 100" - doh! :rolleyes:

In the cases of the "Not in top 100" entries, I really need to leave
them in  and so I wondered if excel offered some kind of replace
function? For example, would it be possible to "replace" the occurances
of "Not in top 100" (in the formula only) with the number "101"?

Therfore the logic would go something like this:

-If -the appropiate cell position column is -equal to- "Not in top 100"
-then replace- with "101" -then- perform calculation to determine the
difference.
(This would obviously need to be incorporated into your existing
formula)

I hope that makes sense?

Also, it it possible to reference the "up", "down" and "same" image
arrows in excel?

Thanks again for all of your help!
Kessa

--
kessa
kessa's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=32080
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=518338

If the text "Not in top 100" could appear in either B19 or in '4th
November 2005'!B19, then you could amend my earlier formula as follows:

=IF(OR(B19="Not in top 100", '4th November 2005'!B19="Not in top
100"),"Outside top 100", IF('4th November 2005'!B19="","nothing here
dude",IF(B19<'4th November 2005'!B19,"UP (+"&TEXT('4th November
2005'!B19-B19,"00")&")",IF(B19='4th November
2005'!B19,"Same",IF(B19>'4th November 2005'!B19,"DOWN (-"&TEXT(B19-'4th
November 2005'!B19,"00")&")" )))))

Watch out for line breaks in the posting - this is all one formula. You
can change the comment "Outside top 100" how you wish.

Here's one way of achieving the images - assuming the formula above is
in C19, enter this formula in D19:

=IF(LEFT(C19,1)="U",CHAR(74),IF(LEFT(C19,1)="D",CHAR(76),IF(LEFT(C19,1)="S",CHAR(75),"")))

and format the cell using the Wingdings font - these are smilies in
Wingdings.

Hope this helps.

Pete

0
pashurst (2576)
3/9/2006 1:21:55 PM
Cheers Pete,

Actually, just after posting my last message I had another go and tried
using IF. I came up with the following all on my little lonesome (I just
wanted to let you know that all your teaching is not in vain! :)):

=IF('4th November 2005'!B16="","nothing here dude",
IF(B16<'4th November 2005'!B16,"UP (+"&TEXT(IF('4th November
2005'!B16="Not in top 100","101",'4th November 2005'!B16)-IF(B16="Not
in top 100","101",B16),"00")&")",
IF(B16='4th November 2005'!B16,"Same",
IF(B16>'4th November 2005'!B16,"DOWN (-"&TEXT(IF(B16="Not in top
100","101",B16)-IF('4th November 2005'!B16="Not in top 100","101",'4th
November 2005'!B16),"00")&")" ))))

Let me know if you can spot any errors or if your solution provides a
neater alterative - I just was quite pleased to have managed to figure
something out :)

Regarding the images, is the only option to use wingdings, as I really
wanted to be able to use a green arrow for up and a red arrow for down
(unless you can colour wingdings?)

Cheers
Kessa

--
kessa
kessa's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=32080
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=518338

Kessa,

well done - the best way to learn is to try things and then to learn
from any mistakes. You've chosen to replace "Not in top 100" with "101"
which is still text and a bit arbitrary, whereas my formula returns a
message. I think you will need to change "101" to 101 for it to work.
Then test it out by putting different values in the cells referred to.

Regarding the images, you can use any font and a character in that font
which is displayed as an arrow - you may well have another symbol font
on your PC which you could use.

You can use conditional formatting to give you different coloured
effects depending on a cell's contents - select the cell(s) and click
Format | Conditional Formatting. In the panel presented to you select
Cell Contents then "Equal to" and then "J" (same as character 74 that I
recommended above). Then click on the Format button, and then choose
colour green, maybe with a background colour (Patterns tab) of black.
Then click ok and you want to "Add" another condition and choose a
different colour and background in the same way - maybe red foreground
with yellow background. You can have a maximum of 3 conditions.

Hope this helps.

Pete

0
pashurst (2576)
3/9/2006 2:43:18 PM
Kessa,

I've experimented a bit and found the following arrow symbols in
Wingdings (I think it depends on which version of Windows you have, as
a font sheet I did some years ago is different):

UP - CHAR(199), Down - CHAR(200), Same - CHAR(198)

My other comments about conditional formatting still hold, but you will
have to enter the CHAR(199) rather than just "J".

Hope this helps.

Pete

0
pashurst (2576)
3/9/2006 5:58:00 PM
Hi Pete_UK,

Thanks - the arrows are now working a treat. The only thing I still
can't get to work is the conditional formatting.

I've tried using: "cell is" ---> "equal to" --->"CHAR(199)"
(OR, CHAR(200), CHAR(198) as appropriate)

....but the colour remains the same.

I also tried using "greater than", "less than" (as an attempt at error
checking) and that did colour the arrows, which I guess indicates it
doesn't recognise the value....?

Any ideas?
Cheers
Kessa

--
kessa
kessa's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=32080
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=518338

Hi Kessa,

I think if you highlight the cells again and go to Format | Conditional
Format you will see that Excel will have put quotes around the
char(199) etc, i.e. it will look like:

="char(199)"

in the panel. All you need to do is edit this to remove the quotes in
both panels (red and green), so that it looks like:

=char(199)

 and then click OK. You should then see your red and green arrows, as
appropriate.

Hope this helps.

Pete

0
pashurst (2576)
3/15/2006 1:02:03 PM
Kessa,

As an aside, but related to your task, enter this formula in A1 of a
blank sheet:

=CHAR(ROW())

then copy down to row 255. Highlight this column and choose Wingdings
as the font. You can now scroll down and see what symbols are available
with this font. You might like to choose characters 232 to 234 for your
arrows, or characters 241 to 243, or even 216 to 218.

Pete

0
pashurst (2576)
3/15/2006 1:41:08 PM
additional on the aside comment:
You could extend the example with other special fonts as well
   http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/rexx/htm/fonts.htm
and can be used as it appears there if you are using  Internet Explorer
as your browser.

"Pete_UK" <pashurst@auditel.net> wrote ...
> Kessa,
>
> As an aside, but related to your task, enter this formula in A1 of a
> blank sheet:           =CHAR(ROW())
>
> then copy down to row 255. Highlight this column and choose Wingdings
> as the font. You can now scroll down and see what symbols are available
> with this font. You might like to choose characters 232 to 234 for your
> arrows, or characters 241 to 243, or even 216 to 218.

Hi Pete_UK,

Yippee!!! That's perfect - thank you SO much!
(...and thanks for the extra info about viewing the charset for th
wingdings font)

But finally, thanks so much for your continued patience and support
I've already learnt so much more about excel than I could hav
originally expected.

Cheers!

*David McRitchie* - Hi David,

Thanks for the extra info. It's a really handy to be able to see th
various symbols side by side.

Cheers both!
Kess

--
kess
kessa's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3208
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=51833

Hi Kessa,

thanks for feeding back. If you have any other queries in the future,
you know where to come to ...

Pete

0
pashurst (2576)

New server question
I just installed a new exchange server on my network and it seems to work great for reciving and sending external mail but the users on the old server can not send mail to users on the new server. They are both in the same domain. I have check the relay restrinctions and nothing pops out at me. users get an error that says: Relaying denied. Proper authentication required TIA these servers are in the same routing group? -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "Josh" <Jsawyer@insightbb.com> wrote in message news:eICByC66FHA.4036@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > I just installed a new ex...

how do i enable dde in excel?
i am posting a DDE link into an excel cell from an external program and getting the message ' DDE Not enabled' in the cell once the link is pasted in. how do i enable DDE? ...

How to transpose in excel file

excel file can't be opened #2

new email notification doesn't work?
In Outlook 2003, I have the option set for the semi-transparent notification window to pop up when I get new email, but it never does. Is there something I'm not doing right? Does it only come up in certain situations? Btw, I'm using the regular Inbox with a POP3 account. -- John Salerno Do you have rules moving your email to folders after receipt? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searchi...

Need specific tick marks on Y axis
I am sure this is probably something really easy, but for the life of me I can't seem to figure it out. I tick marks on the y axis from 0 to mark 260 and 420. The biggest that I would need is 600, but I must have the 260 and 420 marked. How do I do that? I tried to change the minor/major things, but that didn't work out. I am trying to chart my peak flow readings for my asthma, and the 420 and 260 designate the zone lines of how bad my asthma is. Thanks in advance! ") You can put "ticks" wherever you want following this procedure: http://peltiertech.com...

Headers in Excel #3
Can you tell me if it's possible and if so, how I can change the header cells, i.e. A B C D E ... etc? Thanks. Andrea (508) 842-3880 Hi Andrea no this is not possible. The best workaround you can achieve is: - use row 1 as header - goto cell A2 and to the menu 'Windows - Freeze Panes' to always show row 1 - in 'Tools - Options - view' you can hide the row and column headers -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Andrea" <shrews.receptionist@nitco-lift.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:12ff301c44354$b88982b0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Can you tell ...

Excel -> Access Import Bizarreness

Is this possible within Excel 2000?
Hi, I've used Excel on a get by basis for many years at work, and I'm just beginning to realise its vast capabilities, having viewed several groups which I didn't know existed previously. I subsequently would like to ask if it is possible for Excel to look at the numerical or text content of a cell on one worksheet and then look at a predefined range on another worksheet and find the equivalent cell content and then move the cursor to that cell? This has me stumped presently. Thanks in advance for any assistance. J.J. To actually move the selection, you'd need to use a litt...

help for sql select command !!!
Hi Everyone! Imagine we have 3 checkBoxes in a search page and 3 boolean fields in DB table and every checkbox is for one of these fields . In search page users check every 3 checkBoxes and what i want is that first it shows the records that every their 3 fields are checked then 2 and then 1(DESC). BTW my DB is MS Access. Please help me ! On Mar 1, 7:17=A0pm, "miladha...@gmail.com" <miladha...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi Everyone! > Imagine we have 3 checkBoxes in a search page and 3 boolean fields in > DB table and every checkbox is for one of these fields . I...

Force new record
Hi, I am using a combo box on a main form to populate records in a subform. 1st of all, once a record has been populated i would like the focus to automatically jump to the new record line. 2nd How can I make the new record line on the subform have focus on openeing the database? Is this possible? Regards John Try the following in the Open event of the subform: Private Sub Form_Open(Cancel As Integer) DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNewRec End Sub -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www.accessmvp.com "John" <johnlee2509@btopenwo...

Excel 2000 fail to open workbook

Hotmail Problem Please Help
I am running Exchange 2003 Standard on a Windows 2003 Server. I also have ISA 2000 on the same box. Everything is working fine. The problem I am having is getting mail out to a hotmail address. When I send then mail, I see it sits in the Queue for less then a minute then disappears. It never makes it to the Hotmail address nor do I get any return errors back in my client indicating the mail never made it to its destination. On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 15:51:04 -0800, "Kevin Mc" <Kevin Mc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am running Exchange 2003 Standard on a Windows 200...

Excel prints some sheets very small
When I try to print multiple sheets of the same workbook at the same time, one of them (a different one each time) prints very small (about an inch tall) in the upper left hand corner. I am printing from a network file but I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not. Please HELP!!! ...

Need Help With A Formula Please
Hello and thank you in advance for your help! I have a Name on a column. The same name is listed multiple times on another sheet. However, one of the entries has the word DSL on the colmun next to it and on the next colum a value. I want to count those values. For example: On sheet 1 I have: Mike on A2 On sheet 2 i have: A2= Mike B2= Sales c2= 5 A3= Mike B3= DSL C3= 8 A4= Mike B4= Parts C4= 10 I want a formula of sheet1 that will return a value of 8 for Mike by matching the word Mike and DSL on sheet 2. Please helppppp!!!! Thanks!! -- EVRPAGING -------------------------------...

EXCEL 2007 acting up
j$ = "THIS MACRO WILL ERASE THE SECOND & THIRD SET OF DATA" + Chr$(13) + Chr$(13) Using EXCEL 2007, I get an error with the line above as a macro. It does not recognize CHR$. What am I doing wrong? Thanks Not for me it didn't. Check for MISSING references in Tools>References, uncheck them if there are any. -- --- HTH Bob (there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in my addy) "pcor" <pcor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F63F6E95-AF0A-4927-B337-99B5C48B92B1@microsoft.com... > j$ = "THIS MACRO WILL...

problems loading excel documents
When I try to open up an excel document via my documents it says that the same document is open already how can this be stopped Tina First try the standard fix(es)......Tools>Options>General uncheck "ignore other applications" OR Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes and note the space before the / mark). You may have to enter your full path to excel.exe....in that case surround with quotes as in..... "C:\mypath\to Excel\somewhere\excel.exe" /regserver Gord Dibben XL2002 On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 09:16:14 -0800, "Tina" <TinaSCovell...

how do I insert rows without changing formula
In a cashflow worksheet how can I add rows without having to re-do all the proceeding formulas. use absolute references e.g. =$A$5 -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "tinka" <tinka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4ED4569E-0FD6-469B-82B1-F30139B1A280@microsoft.com... > In a cashflow worksheet how can I add rows without having to re-do all the > proceeding formulas. ...

Need assist from an MVP!
Microsoft recently provided me with the post sp1 hotfix for Outlook 2003 (KB839629). In that same article it talks about needing to perform some required registry changes after the hotfix is installed. The article includes a link to these instructions (KB867807). This link is broken and when i do a search for the article ID it doesn't turn up anything! Can anyone help me out? Is this something Microsoft needs to be aware of? Applying the original hotfix didn't resolve the issue so i *really* need to find out what the required registry changes are. Thanks! You should be able to...

how to convert word file into excel file
If any body know about how to convert MS Word file into MS Excel file please let me know. I am unable to do so. Help me Rizwan Wrote: > If any body know about how to convert MS Word file into MS Excel file > please > let me know. > I am unable to do so. > > Help me Hi Rizwan Try Copy and Paste -- Paul Sheppard ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Paul Sheppard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24783 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=467752 Dear Pau...