New to Excel - I want to add a few columns across (P and Q)...How?

I am trying to learn how to add, substract, multiply, and divide columns in
an Excel spreadsheet.  I know how to add the contents of a column down that
column but I cannot understand the instructions of how to add columns across
the spreadsheet.  I want to be able to add columns to get a result
(P+Q=R...ie OBP+SLG=OPS) as well as multiply, divide and substract.  Anyone
offering assistance will be greatly appreciated.
0
Blake (32)

Hi Blake
To add columns, you still need a cell reference, not just a column.
eg, In C1 put      =A1+B1
to multiply          =A1*B1
To Subtract        =A1-B1
To Divide           =A1/B1

Once these columns are done you can SUM/Divide, etc, the totals down the page

HTH
Michael

"Blake" wrote:

> I am trying to learn how to add, substract, multiply, and divide columns in
> an Excel spreadsheet.  I know how to add the contents of a column down that
> column but I cannot understand the instructions of how to add columns across
> the spreadsheet.  I want to be able to add columns to get a result
> (P+Q=R...ie OBP+SLG=OPS) as well as multiply, divide and substract.  Anyone
> offering assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Okay, that I can do.  Now, how may I write this formula so that the addition
will automatically happen all the way down the column?  (ie. in column R, I
want the addition of P1+Q1 and P2+Q2 to be added all the way down column R).
Thanks!

"Michael" wrote:

> Hi Blake
> To add columns, you still need a cell reference, not just a column.
> eg, In C1 put      =A1+B1
> to multiply          =A1*B1
> To Subtract        =A1-B1
> To Divide           =A1/B1
>
> Once these columns are done you can SUM/Divide, etc, the totals down the page
>
> HTH
> Michael
>
> "Blake" wrote:
>
> > I am trying to learn how to add, substract, multiply, and divide columns in
> > an Excel spreadsheet.  I know how to add the contents of a column down that
> > column but I cannot understand the instructions of how to add columns across
> > the spreadsheet.  I want to be able to add columns to get a result
> > (P+Q=R...ie OBP+SLG=OPS) as well as multiply, divide and substract.  Anyone
> > offering assistance will be greatly appreciated.
0
Blake (32)
1/14/2005 2:33:06 AM
Once you have written the first formula in say R1. Click on the little black
box in the bottom right corner of R1 and drag it down as far as you need to,
and excel will transfer the formula down for you.

Michael

"Michael" wrote:

> Once you have written the first formula in say R1. Click on the little black
> box in the bottom right corner of R1 and drag it down as far as you need to,
> and excel will transfer the formula down for you.
>
> Michael
>
> "Blake" wrote:
>
> > Okay, that I can do.  Now, how may I write this formula so that the addition
> > will automatically happen all the way down the column?  (ie. in column R, I
> > want the addition of P1+Q1 and P2+Q2 to be added all the way down column R).
> > Thanks!
> >
> > "Michael" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Blake
> > > To add columns, you still need a cell reference, not just a column.
> > > eg, In C1 put      =A1+B1
> > > to multiply          =A1*B1
> > > To Subtract        =A1-B1
> > > To Divide           =A1/B1
> > >
> > > Once these columns are done you can SUM/Divide, etc, the totals down the page
> > >
> > > HTH
> > > Michael

0
jag (18)
2/26/2010 1:09:01 PM
Hello Michael...what if you wanted to do this across multiple columns but
skipping over a few?  Thanks!

"Michael" wrote:

> Once you have written the first formula in say R1. Click on the little black
> box in the bottom right corner of R1 and drag it down as far as you need to,
> and excel will transfer the formula down for you.
>
> Michael
>
> "Blake" wrote:
>
> > Okay, that I can do.  Now, how may I write this formula so that the addition
> > will automatically happen all the way down the column?  (ie. in column R, I
> > want the addition of P1+Q1 and P2+Q2 to be added all the way down column R).
> > Thanks!
> >
> > "Michael" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Blake
> > > To add columns, you still need a cell reference, not just a column.
> > > eg, In C1 put      =A1+B1
> > > to multiply          =A1*B1
> > > To Subtract        =A1-B1
> > > To Divide           =A1/B1
> > >
> > > Once these columns are done you can SUM/Divide, etc, the totals down the page
> > >
> > > HTH
> > > Michael

0
jag (18)

Lookup based on criteria in 2 columns

Auto-format in Microsoft Excel.

Counting number of X's in a column

New Disk storage

Excel not Access

Excel 2007

how do i add time up in exel
everytime i use =sum(a1:a30)*24 i keep getting an odd number even though i only enter even numbers ,this is to add my hours worked in a month Tell us what's in a1:a30. If they are all even numbers, you should definitely get an even result. But if they include minutes, you can get an odd number of hours. -- Regards, Fred Please reply to newsgroup, not e-mail "loadie" <loadie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:12306C49-050C-4DED-AD75-2ECEE54A24F7@microsoft.com... > everytime i use =sum(a1:a30)*24 i keep getting an odd number even though > i &g...

How do I use traffic lights in excel

Creating new attributes

transferring to new pc

help with simple maths in excel

Opening Excel Workbooks

Excel DNS query

Event Planning/Event Management Add-On
Does anyone know of a good add-on to handle event planning? It appears that Axonom sells a product. I'm not sure it's compatible with CRM 3.0, though. The screen shots are from 1.x. We're looking for an add-on that will help us plan our annual user conference with about 300 attendees. Before I go off and build our own custom entities to handle this stuff, I thought I'd see what's out there. Our requirements are pretty basic: - Track attendees to the event, and which training sessions and activities they'd like to attend. - Payment information including total fee...