NESTED IF STATEMENTS #2

Having a little problem in an excel class, hoping someone might be
able to help. I'm trying to fill in the discount column on a
spreadsheet with the following info. The problem states use a nested
form of the IF function to calculate 15% if Amount is greater that
$300., 10% if Amount is greater than $100., and 0% if Amount is less
than $100.  The Amount column is cell D5. Anyone know how to write the
formula and explain how to go about it? Any help would be much
appreciated.

Let's see. This is homework so you should come up with the answer yourself.
Did you start by looking in the help index for IF. There are good examples
that should get you an "A".

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
<budlightknight@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Having a little problem in an excel class, hoping someone might be
> able to help. I'm trying to fill in the discount column on a
> spreadsheet with the following info. The problem states use a nested
> form of the IF function to calculate 15% if Amount is greater that
> $300., 10% if Amount is greater than $100., and 0% if Amount is less
> than $100.  The Amount column is cell D5. Anyone know how to write the
> formula and explain how to go about it? Any help would be much
> appreciated.

0
dguillett1 (2487)
7/19/2008 10:00:09 PM
=IF(D5>300,D5*0.15,IF(D5<100.01,D5,D5*0.1))

Not a nested IF formula but will do the job.

=LOOKUP(D5,{0,100.01,300.01},{0,0.1,0.15})*D5

Present it to your instructor and get extra points for creativity.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 14:31:07 -0700 (PDT), budlightknight@gmail.com wrote:

>Having a little problem in an excel class, hoping someone might be
>able to help. I'm trying to fill in the discount column on a
>spreadsheet with the following info. The problem states use a nested
>form of the IF function to calculate 15% if Amount is greater that
>$300., 10% if Amount is greater than $100., and 0% if Amount is less
>than $100.  The Amount column is cell D5. Anyone know how to write the
>formula and explain how to go about it? Any help would be much
>appreciated.

0
Gord
7/19/2008 10:28:02 PM
And be very sure to tell em that Gord gave it to you.

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
> =IF(D5>300,D5*0.15,IF(D5<100.01,D5,D5*0.1))
>
> Not a nested IF formula but will do the job.
>
> =LOOKUP(D5,{0,100.01,300.01},{0,0.1,0.15})*D5
>
> Present it to your instructor and get extra points for creativity.
>

> Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
>
> On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 14:31:07 -0700 (PDT), budlightknight@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>Having a little problem in an excel class, hoping someone might be
>>able to help. I'm trying to fill in the discount column on a
>>spreadsheet with the following info. The problem states use a nested
>>form of the IF function to calculate 15% if Amount is greater that
>>$300., 10% if Amount is greater than $100., and 0% if Amount is less
>>than $100.  The Amount column is cell D5. Anyone know how to write the
>>formula and explain how to go about it? Any help would be much
>>appreciated.

0
dguillett1 (2487)
7/19/2008 11:24:28 PM
I am positive that would happen Don<g>

Apologies for posting over your reply..........didn't see before replying.

Sometimes I take it too easy on the ones with class assignments.

Teach a man to fish might be a better solution as you point out.

Gord

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 18:24:28 -0500, "Don Guillett" <dguillett1@austin.rr.com>
wrote:

>And be very sure to tell em that Gord gave it to you.

0
Gord
7/19/2008 11:40:27 PM
On Jul 19, 4:40=A0pm, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote:
> I am positive that would happen Don<g>
>
> Apologies for posting over your reply..........didn't see before replying=
..

> Sometimes I take it too easy on the ones with class assignments.
>
> Teach a man to fish might be a better solution as you point out.
>
> Gord
>
> On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 18:24:28 -0500, "Don Guillett" <dguille...@austin.rr.=
com>
> wrote:
>

> >And be very sure to tell em that Gord gave it to you.- Hide quoted text =
-

I'm not looking to get an "A". I was just looking for some help on
learning how to figure it out and I did email the teacher and let him
know I was looking for help on the internet. But I did finally figure
out an IF statement on my own. Gord, thanks for trying to help. Don,
I'm not a cheater, I was just stuck and looking for help. And yes I
did look on the insert function for help but I was still confused.
After emailing the teacher twice without a reply I went to the
internet for help, and your comments are making wish I hadn't.
I didn't mean to infer you were a cheater. You said that. I did refer you to
the help index for IF because it is much more meaningful, as Gord said, that
you learn how to fish instead of being tossed fish. It does give a good
example of a nested if.

      Formula Description (Result)
      =IF(A2>89,"A",IF(A2>79,"B", IF(A2>69,"C",IF(A2>59,"D","F")))) Assigns
a letter grade to the first score (F)
      =IF(A3>89,"A",IF(A3>79,"B", IF(A3>69,"C",IF(A3>59,"D","F")))) Assigns
a letter grade to the second score (A)
      =IF(A4>89,"A",IF(A4>79,"B", IF(A4>69,"C",IF(A4>59,"D","F")))) Assigns
a letter grade to the third score (C)

--
On Jul 19, 4:40 pm, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote:
> I am positive that would happen Don<g>
>
> Apologies for posting over your reply..........didn't see before replying.
>
> Sometimes I take it too easy on the ones with class assignments.
>
> Teach a man to fish might be a better solution as you point out.
>
> Gord
>
> On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 18:24:28 -0500, "Don Guillett"
> <dguille...@austin.rr.com>
> wrote:
>

> >And be very sure to tell em that Gord gave it to you.- Hide quoted text -

I'm not looking to get an "A". I was just looking for some help on
learning how to figure it out and I did email the teacher and let him
know I was looking for help on the internet. But I did finally figure
out an IF statement on my own. Gord, thanks for trying to help. Don,
I'm not a cheater, I was just stuck and looking for help. And yes I
did look on the insert function for help but I was still confused.
After emailing the teacher twice without a reply I went to the
internet for help, and your comments are making wish I hadn't.

0
dguillett1 (2487)

xsd.exe generated classnames? #2
Is there a way to control generated classnames when generating classes from an XSD using xsd.exe? When generating typed datasets it's possible to provide some direction via the "codegen" namespace by adding attributes to the XSD itself. These same attributes don't seem to work for class generation however (unless I just did it wrong?) Anway, is there a way for me to specify the classname(s) to be used in the generated code? Thanks in advance, Bill Hi Bill, First of all, I would like to confirm my understanding of your issue. From your description, I understand that ...

House View #2
Hi I would like to add images to the Home Inventory, but I can't find the option "House" in the "Choose a View" box. All I have is "Normal, Basic, Investing, Tax, Priorties" etc. I have customised my home page but I don't remember deleting anything to do with home inventory. Any Idea where to look? Money Standard 2004 on Win 2k ...

organising data from lines in word to excel columns #2
I have a word doc which contains lines of text that are formatted into sections like this: Page: Page Name Title: Page Title URL: www.page.com/page-name/ MetaKeywords: keyword 1, keyword 2, keyword 3 Metadescription: Page desc.. There are many of these in the doc that I have which I can copy and paste as plain text into excel but I then need to format them into columns likes so: Page Title URL MetaKeywords Metadescription Page Name Page Title www.page.com/page-name/ keyword 1, keyword 2, keyword 3 Page descr... Does anyo...

Help with repair workshop, IF statement, returning FALSE
Hi I am trying to set up a basic stock control for a repair workshop. However, I cannot figure out what is wrong with this formula: =IF(H10>=10 <=25,"Stock OK",IF(H10<=10,"Re-order!!", IF(H10=0,"? or no stock",IF(H10>25,"Stock Excellent!")))) The H Column refers to a cell that subtracts 'stock in' (column f) from 'stock out'(column g). The column is called stock balance. I get the following errors; I keep getting a 'FALSE' on a number that is between 10 and 24. i want it to return 're-order'. And the IF H1...

Excel search function #2
Hi All, Is there a way to use the search function to search non "0" value in cell. Ex - if i have "110254" in cell A1 - I need the position of non zero digit in the string of A1. Thanks, Thyag. Try: =FIND("0",A1) If the strig of values have a zero this formula will return the position inside the cell, if the strig does not have any zeroes, the formula will return an error. Is this what you want? "Thyag" <thyagaraj.shetty@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1186758214.992333.261490@i38g2000prf.googlegroups.com... > Hi All, > Is there a...

Need help with SELECT statement (return MAX date).
I need to return the MAX date either of these 3 columns below. Thank you so you in advance. Below is the rules and desire results. IF OBJECT_ID('T1', 'u') IS NOT NULL DROP TABLE T1 GO CREATE TABLE [dbo].[T1] ( [LoanNum] [varchar](10) NOT NULL, [OfferPrice] [money] NULL, [MgrApprDate] [datetime] NOT NULL, [DirApprDate] [datetime] NOT NULL, [ExecApprDate] [datetime] NULL, [ExitStrategyMainCategoryID] [int] NULL, [ExitStrategySubCategory1ID] [int] NULL ) GO INSERT INTO dbo.T1([LoanNum],[OfferPrice],[MgrApprDate],[DirApprDate],[ExecApprDate],[...

Classes for RMS 2.0
I would like to take classes for RMS 2.0 but cannot find anything through Microsoft. Does anyone know where I can find a listing? Cargas (www.cargas.com) located in Pittsburgh, PA offers a 2 day course in RMS Store Operations, cost is $ 1,400.00. They also offer a 2 day course in RMS Headquarters, same price. I took the store ops course and found it well worth the investment. Kinnard Kinnard L. Kohler P. O. Box 3332 Little Rock, AR 72203-3332 (T) 501-374-3636 (F) 501-375-0043 (C) 501-412-5686 (E-Mail) kinnardkohler@sbcglobal.net "Davidjc52" wrote: > I would like to take...

HTML Newsletters #2
We have been sending Publisher produced newsletters for the past 18 months or so. I have recently noticed a number of the emails with Adobe attachements bouncing back. I suspect this is due to firewall filters. Can I produce the e-mail in HTML format from Publisher? If so how? If this cannot be done, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks - Tony ...

Change start of day #2
its a simple formula that subtracts one colum from another using dates. =G3-B3 G3 is the final date and B3 is the first date. What im trying to do i base these dates not on a standard 12am to 12pm day but on a 5am to 5p day. I'm clueless as to how to even begin in that direction. Also Tim is another factor which I would like to incorporate into my fina total. SO basically it looks like this A B C D F G H TITLE 1ST 2ND 1ST 3RD 2ND 4TH T...

Picking Information from a list #2
Thankyou for that. However, I am wanting to bring these across into separate list which shows all the players registered for a club. Th filter option doesn't help me with the moving of this elsewhere. need the information in a different place as the information is goin to be used to complete a team sheet automatically. ...... here's hoping..... -- eddie8 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- eddie84's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1494 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?thread...

convert numbers to dates #2
thanks to you all now sorted -- jimbo693 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ jimbo693's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=14215 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=263696 ...

Entering 2 incomes, one self-employed
My wife's income is from an employer, who withholds taxes. I am self-employed, so my freelance income has no taxes withheld. What's the right way to enter the income(s) in Money? Should my wife's be entered as Paycheck-->Net Pay? I plan to use Money to estimate quarterly withholding taxes for myself, but do not want my wife's income included in that calculation. Do I need to specifically label income as either hers or mine? Or will Money know that "Net Pay" has already had taxes taken out? Thanks for any help. Use the paycheck wizard for your wife. Con...

Can 2 users use the same Outlook XP .pst file??
Hi, My computer has 2 different user names. Is it possible for both users to use the same Outlook (XP) mail files? If so, does anyone know how? Thanks Different users can share the same pst file as long as they both have access to the file and they don't access the pst file at the same time. "Dave" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:002901c3cc29$c39da5c0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, > My computer has 2 different user names. Is it possible > for both users to use the same Outlook (XP) mail files? > If so, does anyone know how? > >...

Scatter Chart with non-numeric values on X axis #2
Hi Andy, Thx for your reply. A line chart won't look good, and I really don want to use bars. Is it possibly to make the x axis non-numeric? Th -- penas ----------------------------------------------------------------------- penasm's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1583 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27323 Hi, Did you format the line series to remove the actual joining line. Double click the data series and set the border to None. That way it will look just like a scatter chart. penasm wrote: > Hi ...

How to insert menuitem into globle context menu? #2
Dear all, I want to write a very simple program that outputs the a shortcut's target path into clipboard. For instance, there is a shortcut for ultraedit on my desktop, right click it and a context menu with a menu item called "copy path" pops up. I'd like to write this app as a run-once-and-exit program, i.e. not stay in memory. I only had basic MFC experience and have not written any "No UI" applications. Please give me some advise or links to sample sources codes. Thanks a lot! Regards -- F.Hou (Leo) ...

CRM 1.2 doesn't work after installation
After the full installation of Microsoft CRM on Win2003 server (DC, SQL2000 server, Exchange 2003 server and IIS 6.0; security privileges for local computer and local computer account added to "Pre-Windows 2000" in Active Directory) I recieve the next error message in CRM Deployment Manager when trying to add users: The server localhost is not responding. This might happen if it is currently unavailable, it is not a Microsoft CRM server, or you do not have sufficient privileges to run User Manager. An attempt to run the CRM brings me "Page not available" message in IE. O...

Task 'Microsoft Exchange Server' reported error (0x8004010F) : 'The operation failed. An object could not be found.' #2
Hi, I have been running Outlook 2003 through HTTP over RPC to connect to an Exchange 2003 server for some time without troubles until recently. All of the sudden both I and my users have been getting the following error on send / receive: "Task 'Microsoft Exchange Server' reported error (0x8004010F) : 'The operation failed. An object could not be found.'" I have tried rebuilding the offline address list and creating new profiles. We are able to send and receive mail without issue. But I am worried that this error is indicative of a problem i am not seeing and it...

Default Font #2
In Outlook 2003, I find the font too small. Where do I go to change the default font of the messages I create? -- Paul Ingram DNS SYSTEMS LIMITED (902) 488-3166 Web: www.dnssystemsltd.com Email: dnssystems@ns.sympatico.ca Paul: Try Tools > Options > Mail Format - Fonts HTH Steve "Paul Ingram" <pingramnet@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:W5l%c.123663$Np3.5283800@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca... > In Outlook 2003, I find the font too small. > Where do I go to change the default font of the messages I create? > > -- > Paul Ingram > DNS SYSTEMS LIMITED >...

MS Outlook 2 GB Limit
Hi, I have been using MS oUtlook 2000 and recently when I was reading a mail all my mails disappeared. I was told by my system admin that MS Outllok has a 2 GB limit. Is there any way by which I can exten the 2 GB limit? Thanks, Goutam You would need to upgrade to OL2003, and use the OL2003 pst format. With the existing pst you will have to run the 2gb repair tool and scanpst to try to recover. You will lose mail. You can have problems with a pst larger than 1.6gb. If upgrade isnt an option, in future you might want to use multiple archives (an archive is also subject to 2gb limit) ht...

Operation Failed Error #2
Send/Receive Progress generates the follwoing error: Task 'Microsoft Exchange Server' reported error (0x8004010F) : 'The operation failed. An object could not be found.' Front end is Outlook 2003, back end is clustered Win2K AS running Exchange 2003. Only KB I could find that vaguely addresses this is Q312354. Any help would be appreciated. ...

owner draw list box #2
hi, I want to have a list box with check box and text displayed. My text should behave a link. For that i derived a class from CCheckListBox and able to draw check box along with text underlined which now looks like a link. But the problem is when is click on the link, the text is overwriting check box. Can anyone help in this? Thanks Balaji Sounds like you are not accounting for the space the checkboxes take when you are drawing out your text. You should move your text to the right some to give the checkboxes room to draw. This one doesn't have checkboxes, but perhaps some of the c...

Account setup temporarily Unavailable #2
I installed Money 2006 standard about a week ago and online setup all my accounts were available for indirect downloading. For some reason, since then, have lost a couple of accounts that are no longer available for the service, one of which is Bank of America (California) this seems to have happened yesterday or the day before. When I attempt to again set up the service I get the subject message. Is anyone else having this same experience? I can however do direct downloads into my accounts. Since I am new to the program I am wondering if this is an anomaly or glitch in the program. ...

Analytical Accounting Error #2
Dear All, I am facing problem regarding Analytical Accounting. while entering inventory adjustment and click on distribution and then click on Analytical Accounting button the following error appear "No distribution have created" please advice Hi Tareq If this is version 9 I think there is a Hotfix fix that will correct this. Fliehigh "Eng. Tareq Sabri" wrote: > Dear All, > > I am facing problem regarding Analytical Accounting. > while entering inventory adjustment and click on distribution and then click > on Analytical Accounting button the follow...

Reply text is not seen #2
When I send a calendar invite from Outlook 2003 (Stu Teach Ed) to my wife who uses Outlook 2000, when I open the reply e-mail, I cannot see any text that she types in her reply. We have tried this with other users in her office with the same result. This is strange since if I open her reply e-mail in IE 6 using my web-based e-mail I can see the reply text. It's only when I open it in Outlook 2003 that it cannot be seen. ...

Money 2 years activation
I just switched from Money 2003 to Money 2006 that I picked up from Costco and am not ecstatic about the 2 year limit of Internet based services. I am thinking of returning the product... Is there a Money version that does not have this limitation? Is this Costco specific? -rv In microsoft.public.money, <rvm5@sonic.net> wrote: >I just switched from Money 2003 to Money 2006 that I picked up from Costco >and am not ecstatic about the 2 year limit of Internet based services. I am >thinking of returning the product... Is there a Money version that does not >have thi...